Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 49

Old 11-20-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Saskia - I did a TON of holiday shopping last weekend. Wrapping too. I've never set out for a full day of Xmas shopping before. I really liked it! In the past I tended to get distracted; what started out as shopping for a particular person could end up in a different direction. Last weekend I stayed very focused on my goal, kept my energy directed toward that goal, and got a lot done. It felt great to do one thing in its entirety instead of starting in several different things at once and being distracted.

Wayward - I'm so happy that you can see your progress. Progress keeps me motivated to stay sober.

Amp - I've always been pretty comfortable around people, but when I stopped drinking I felt like I stopped knowing how to talk to people. Some of it correlated with the overall flatness I felt; I didn't necessarily want to connect with anyone. I questioned whether my friends were really friends at all. I figured maybe this was the new me, and just kind of accepted it as part of my sobriety.

As I hit the 9-12 month mark I started to feel more interested in being social again. At around the 18 month mark I stated to feel interconnected again. I am that person who talks to cashiers and has warm conversations with strangers in line....again.

Well I'm packing up for this weekend's youth ice hockey tournament. Haha, one of the parents sent me an message saying "let the party begin." That poor soul has no idea what terrible company I was when I drank.

Still, alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. I do not going to a weekend long party without a plan. First and foremost, I will not drink, but a plan is also about what I WILL do. I will find a cool place to have coffee. I'll see if there's any place nearby to go shopping. I'll read a magazine in a comfy chair in the lobby. I'll workout in the gym or take a walk. I'll hang out with some of the moms. I'll watch hockey.

Key - As a member of AA I always have a fail safe and that is my sponsor. The lengths that member of the program will go to keep each other safe from booze is powerful.

Have a great weekend Undies!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hi, just checking in this morning. I have mentioned this before, but I haven't had any cravings at all for the last couple of days. This is good but past experience tells me that a bad one has to be around the corner so I'm staying vigilant and I believe that I am ready. I'm still doing well on my days off and we are going to get stuff ready for the holidays coming up.

Thanks again for everyone posting here and sharing your experiences. You are helping me a lot!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hi Wayward,

You are doing just great. Those cravings are on their way out, trust me.

I had a major challenge in so far as my truck engine blew big time. The costs of refurb/ repair will blow away whatever work I might sell between now and Christmas.

Effectively, I will be working g fit nothing fur the next six weeks, including Xmas. Any treats, family breaks cannot now happen.

But you know what guys, I'm cool. I budgeted for an engine replacement some time next year - it is just happening now.

We just need to 'make a plan' as we say here.

The point is, six months ago I would have reacted really badly to this, cursing my luck and hating myself for not preparing for such an eventuality, and blaming all and sundry for everything that had contributed to this.

But now.,

I'm grateful the motor blew when I was driving, rather than Mrs F and the children..

I'm grateful it happened in a safe area near home and not somewhere where I could have been in danger.

I'm grateful that I met a great mechanic a few months ago and took time to get to know him and was a good customer.

And I'm grateful that I do have some quotes out for projects, so with a following wind, I should be able to pay this off over a few months.

I will happily exchange this 4-6 month flat period for the presence, balance, and acceptance sobriety has given to me.

Everyone on this thread gives me a lift each and every day.

I Am hugely grateful for this too.

Thank you !

Fradley
Old 11-21-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

So true F. So true.
I'm grateful I got some sober time under my belt so I could witness first hand how much better I handle life's curve balls. Even the top speed ones thrown right at my head!

Alcohol or drug abuse completely takes away our God given ability to deal with them. Drowning stressful issues doesn't kill them. They do not breath. Our minds may forget about them for a little while, but they are always there waiting for us. And the more we try to drown our problems, the more they build.

Worrying about, stressing about, getting mad over issues don't help in any way. Having a grateful mind, a clear mind, is what gets us through difficult times the quickest and with the least amount of pain.

WW....
It's nice to have those days with no cravings. Gives you a taste of what it will be like all the time. Peaceful. Contentment. Your mind can focus on more productive issues that will help move you forward instead of being stuck on trying to maintain where you are currently. Soak up those days. They'll power you through tough situations. Once the mind is FIRM on its decision not to drink...once you BELIEVE life is better without drinking, instead of HOPING it is, you've got it made.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone is having a nice/good weekend
Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Fradley, sorry about your truck engine but awesome that you are able to look at the positive aspects! On the financial side, drinking would add to those woes so much more.

WWS, sounds good!

IC, yes, those curve balls do come no matter what we do or don't do. It's how we react to them that counts.

(((Glee))), you just keep on growing :-)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Hi all- I'm only on Day 13, but would like to quietly lurk around if that's ok? Your posts all offer a lot of wisdom and I'm going to need that on this journey!
Have a great day!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Undies, Keepnitreal!

Feel free to lurk or post - whatever feels right for you. I think we have an amazing group here that consists of both those under one year sober and a few of us that are over one year but still find the support and discussion here very helpful. I've had a tough time on this journey and am so grateful for the enormous support and understanding here.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Thanks Saskia-
I really am loving SR. It's amazing, and the support and caring really wants to keep ya sober!!!
Have a great Saturday!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Loving your attitude, Fradley!

Welcome Keepinitreal! This is a great place to watch and learn but also to air your worries and frustrations
Old 11-21-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Welcome KIR!
Congrats on your 13th! Almost two weeks!!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Fradly sorry about the truck. Sounds like you have a positive outlook tho on the situation.

Welcome keepnitreal!

GF sounds like you have a good plan in place for the hockey weekend!

I went to a show last night and saw some hardcore bands play. It was really fun. Stayed up a little too late and feeling pretty tired at womp today. Also woke up to my shoulder popped out of place, it was pretty painful but I was able to pop it back in.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Fradley, it's great to see how you have dealt with the latest situation, you are really growing in your sobriety. Awesome.

Welcome KIR I found that the more open I was, the more I posted in the early days the more a part of the community I felt and the more support I got.

SJ how are you doing?

BeFree look after that shoulder sweetie.

Amp, IC, how are you both doing?

Keep On Keeping On Undies x
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Good morning, Undies!

I used to think that by the time I had about 6 sober months under my belt that I would drop off SR. Instead moving past 15 months, I still get so much out of reading and posting. Some do leave sooner and that's ok, too. This helps me keep my recovery front and center where it needs to be. I think I've given up predicting the future and am enjoying living in today :-)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Thanks Saskia for sticking around! You are a big help for all of us!

Thanks for caring for everyone Toots!

BF- Ouch! I hope your shoulder gets better soon.

Welcome Keepnitreal. There are a lot of great people here. Feel free to read and post to your hearts content.

Not much to report here. I'm just enjoying a nice quiet weekend. I feel good. Staying sober is definitely the way to go!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hi Toots! Doing really well thanks! Left the kids with friends and took the wife away for her birthday to stunning Seville. Lively city. A little tempted by the nice wines on offer but I know better than that. Had a great time!

Clocked up 7 months sober a couple of days ago. Getting so much out of being active in this group. Thanks to all of you!!

Hope you all had a great weekend!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 mos Amp!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

to the Undies from an alum Keep!
Old 11-22-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fradley View Post
Hi Wayward,

You are doing just great. Those cravings are on their way out, trust me.

I had a major challenge in so far as my truck engine blew big time. The costs of refurb/ repair will blow away whatever work I might sell between now and Christmas.

Effectively, I will be working g fit nothing fur the next six weeks, including Xmas. Any treats, family breaks cannot now happen.

But you know what guys, I'm cool. I budgeted for an engine replacement some time next year - it is just happening now.

We just need to 'make a plan' as we say here.

The point is, six months ago I would have reacted really badly to this, cursing my luck and hating myself for not preparing for such an eventuality, and blaming all and sundry for everything that had contributed to this.

But now.,

I'm grateful the motor blew when I was driving, rather than Mrs F and the children..

I'm grateful it happened in a safe area near home and not somewhere where I could have been in danger.

I'm grateful that I met a great mechanic a few months ago and took time to get to know him and was a good customer.

And I'm grateful that I do have some quotes out for projects, so with a following wind, I should be able to pay this off over a few months.

I will happily exchange this 4-6 month flat period for the presence, balance, and acceptance sobriety has given to me.

Everyone on this thread gives me a lift each and every day.

I Am hugely grateful for this too.

Thank you !

Fradley
Wow Fradley. What an awesome outlook!

Here I was pouting because I'm feeling so depressed this morning because I didn't sleep well and woke up super early to start day 14.
I can't wait to go from where I am today to where you are! I must be tired because your gratefulness and my selfishness is bringing tears to my eyes.
Time to drop to my knees and chat with my higher power!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm really struggling today for some reason. My family has been bickering all morning, my son keeps badgering us for something, and I just want to drink! I "winterized the pool furniture, cleaned, etc...but still just want to drink. What should I do?