Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 44

Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

hi guys going to AA meeting today. Something has to give. Nice to be back and see some of the same faces. luv ya
Babs
Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Hi Babs! Good to see you back here :-)
Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Hi Babs! Good to see you back here :-)
thanks Sass---my lord---will I ever learn
Old 11-04-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Welcome back Babs
Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

You can do this, Babs.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

thanks you guys---just got back from an AA meeting ---it went well, except I got a parking ticket for parking over a side walk. Grrrrr
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a very wet and grey Paradise. No complaints though because we need the rain and this steady soaking stuff is just perfect for the garden.

Babs it's wonderful to see you and good for you for going to a meeting, do stick around because whatever you are going through one or more of us is going to relate to.

Yeah Sass, Dee was right that Proseco is some sort of sparkling wine. When (on Sunday) we had run in and out a few times with glasses, plates and serving dishes stuff was all mixed up of course but since there was a lemon slice in the glass I didn't think twice. The whole thing was foul -- the half mouthful taste, the smell -- everything.

I was revolted enough that I made an excuse that I had to wipe down my rained-on hair so I could go to the bathroom and swish out my mouth.

Marcher Dog isn't 100% so we might take him back to the vet. He's at the regular groomer's today,she knows him well so we'll see what she says. He has to get his hair/wool cut as he's a shih tzu/poodle cross and if he's not cut he grows dreadies!

Have a good day all.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Marcher, sending good vibes for Marcher dog!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ditto Marcher

Hey Babs good to see you reaching out for help, keep close X

All ok in Tootsville x
Old 11-05-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey babs! Welcome back.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Babs, what's been going on ? What can you add to your arsenal to keep you from slipping?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
Babs, what's been going on ? What can you add to your arsenal to keep you from slipping?
not sure Bud just taking one day at a time.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

ok you guys get this!!! I go to the AA meeting and there wasn't any place really to park so I kinda of parked over a walkway and I got a ticket!!!!!:----
Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Welcome back, babs!!
I hate all the talk of plans, personally.... But they do help. My plan that finally worked turned out to be the do whatever the hell it takes I don't want to ******* drink again plan. It was haphazard but wholehearted, so it actually worked. If you try aa, I recommend you really try it. Find someone in there who you admire and ask them to sponsor you. If they can't, they can recommend someone they trust. I did the steps because I was scared to death of relapse. I thought they were kind of extreme and "not for me" but my desire to stay sober won out. What I got in exchange was a freedom from the obsession to drink. And tools to keep that freedom. You can do this, sweetie!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Ewwww, proseco... At least you know wine doesn't taste like you remember, it's nasty! Our friends in England surprised us with a champagne toast when we got engaged. I felt like there wasn't a way around taking a sip, I loved the sentiment but yuuuuck!! Thankfully I had a plate full of curry to help me forget the taste.

Sending vibes to marcher dog...
Old 11-05-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers The sun is trying to come out in Paradise, it's super soggy but gee we had a good soaking over the last few days.

Marcher Dog is better! Here's the strangest thing: he was checked all over by the Vet, by us (numerous times) and yesterday after he was groomed he was bouncing around like a puppy again! We figure that A cut out whatever the problem was, his coat was no longer than normal (six week intervals) so we are wondering how all of us could have missed something. The important thing is he's back to his old self.

Babs the talk of plans used to make me sigh until I realised what it really meant -- it's kind of like soldiers going into battle. If they just wander across the battlefield and react to the bullets they'll always be on the defensive. If they have a strategy (plan) then they are on the offensive and will do better.

For me it was ...
6pm is when I drink so I will ... find a non-alcoholic drink I really like, pour it with lots of ice and lemon and have something to look forward to for dinner.

When I sit down after dinner I always have a few(!) drinks so...I'm going to sit in a different chair, have a project (knitting for me) that I want to work on and some music or recorded TV to occupy my mind.

Friday nights are "celebration" time so ... I'll plan a special meal/dessert/we'll go out for a lovely meal.

and so on.

It's about anticipating your own weaknesses and putting tactics in place to avert the cravings.

Have a good day all.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad MarcherDog is back to his bouncy self Marcher

have a great weekend gang

D
Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Babs, to add my bit to Marcher's comments on a plan: I also got tired of hearing about "What's your plan" and realized after the fact that I didn't truly understand what it meant. Marcher's examples are good ones. However, I had so much trouble with relapses that I needed more. Here is my list (after the fact):

AA meetings at least 3times a week and more as needed. And not just attending meetings - I made myself speak at least briefly at each meeting, making a really strong commitment to sobriety and understanding that I would do whatever it required even if I didn't like it and/or it wasn't easy or convenient.

IOP (intensive outpatient program), taken very, very seriously and I would have done inpatient rehab if needed even though I didn't want to.

Psychotherapy.

The above stuff almost did it - I stayed sober for 7 months and then slipped. I immediately went to see my pdoc who put me on meds temporarily. On Saturday I'll reach 15 months sober and I can say that all of the effort was so completely worth it!

You need to decide how far you are willing to go to become and stay sober.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I guess the difference for me was realising I couldn't go it alone and knowing I had to own my alcoholism. Telling my husband was both my deepest fear and my freedom. I believed he would despise me for my weakness, now he is proud of me for my strength
Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others here Babs - the what's your plan question isn't about putting you on the spot or making you feel dumb.

We all know how relentless alcoholism is.

We all know from our stories that sooner or later we all feel that pull, or find ourselves in a situation where alcohol is present.

If we have no plan, we go for the default, which is to drink.

This is a great link about making a plan tailored to your needs - I really hope you read it and maybe even work through it, and come out the other side with a plan to stay sober for good

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D