Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 20

Old 10-03-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Think I have a cold brewing. Scratchy throat and a bit achy. Looking forward to a nap, since the family ls all here and can entertain the dog.

Conquest, that sounds like a great venue. Cozy Italian place with holiday decor in December. Lovely!

Off to clean up the kitchen, and old some laundry...
Old 10-03-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

Chili on the stove and cornbread in the oven......smelling great around here!

I hope you're feeling better phoebe. Conquest, I hope this day of wedding shopping has been all you wanted it to be....and Arbor, I hope the visit with your mom was a nice one. My mom and I have never discussed it.

And a happy Saturday night /Sunday morning to the rest of the gang!
Old 10-03-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Sounds good Mark. I still have last weekends chili leftover. In the freezer now.

Homemade Chicken enchiladas tonight followed with a bit of vanilla ice cream.

Hope everyone had a great Saturday.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

It occurred to me that Halloween is just around the corner. In my youth, I loved an excuse to wear inappropriate costumes and get thoroughly wasted. It's a completely different holiday when you're a parent...and sober. In a good way.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm just back from a long nighttime walk in the field and woods. Quite the cool breezy evening around here and that was my idea of a great way to wrap up this day. Sleeping in tomorrow because my gym is closed for maintenance. Supposed to go to my MIL's for Sunday lunch. Hope everyone gets a nice sound evening's sleep.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

No doubt about that Briar. I think last year was my first sober Halloween in a long while. The way I see it now its pretty much for kids. Got zero interest in dressing up anymore.

That walk sounds good Mark. It's windy and wet out here. Think I'll stay in. Hopefully a good nights sleep will happen tonight. Needing it.

Night all...
Old 10-03-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I had a good walk this morning and a day full of boring diet food. We were thinking about going out for dinner until our daughter fell asleep. She never naps anymore, so, delighted with our good fortune, my husband and I just sucked down a bunch of random snacks and commenced to enjoy the peace and quiet. I had a wrap made on one of those low carb tortillas with turkey, spinach, and one of those little Laughing Cow cheese spread things that I recently learned are shelf-stable, which is never a good sign when you're trying to be health-conscious.

It was a good day. My daughter had her swim lesson this morning, and this afternoon's project was to weed out her too-small clothes and hit the store for replacements. She just had a growth spurt, so all of a sudden nothing fits her. I feel like I have to buy her an entirely new wardrobe every three months. Luckily little girl clothes are so damn cute.

The National Weather Service has issued a wildfire warning tonight because conditions are such that if a fire starts, it will get out of hand. It's very dry, warm, low humidity, and winds at 50 mph. Everyone's a little nervous and praying no one does anything stupid tonight. I don't even like to turn on my stove anymore, but I know people are out there BBQing. Oh well, wish us luck.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I know I continue to obsess, but I just have to share these photos because I just do.

This one is the view from my hometown. Those hills are very close. On the right is my high school that thankfully received minimal damage. On the left is a little shopping center that didn’t make it. The fire passed through this spot and into the neighborhood behind the photographer. This picture gets my heart beating every time I see it because I’ve stood in that very spot about a thousand times, and this is pretty much the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen:

How would you like to be in one of these cars trying to outrun that s**t:

This one is actually beautiful and would look just right on the most screwed up Christmas card ever:

I’ll get over it eventually.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Those pictures are horrifying, Briar. Talk about it all you want; it will help you work through it.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Thanks Leigh. I've never experienced anything like this before, and I sort of feel like I'm getting to know a new part of myself. I'm trying to understand how to fit this bizarre thing into my history.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that the worst of the fires is behind you Briar

D
Old 10-04-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Those pics seem apocalyptic to me. Scary stuff.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Those pictures Briar are unreal. I can't even fathom it myself. Imagine being in your car trying to race outta there? Crazy.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Briar, my heart goes out to you. Those pictures are terrifying. I live in an area that was hit by devastating wildfires and people continue to talk about it as it was traumatic. I hope you remain safe ((hugs))
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Thanks for understanding, you guys. I'm not trying to be morbid. This is just so wild to me. I just have the pictures and videos, but what breaks my heart is that my little brother (okay, he's 31 and a foot taller than me, but you know what I mean) was there and saw that stuff with his own eyes, while knowing it had already reached his property. I hate that he experienced that. I wish I could erase it from his little brain.

But good news - we made it through the night. No reports of fires in the news, and no smoke plumes on the horizon. That wind was insane. I could feel it moving the house. Our house is built to move around a bit so it can surf an earthquake, but it takes a lot to actually move it. This has definitely been a crazy summer!

Anyway, time for my Sunday walk with my friend. I always look forward to this. Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-04-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

V - how are you doing? You've been quiet, I hope you are okay.

That wind was wild. On my walk today there were tree branches everywhere and even a whole tree down on the path. People's patio umbrellas were in the creek. But the squirrels were totally digging all the acorns that fell down. I don't think I've ever seen so many squirrels in a single walk.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

How well does a tortilla serve as a pie crust? The Briar family is about to find out:

Because why not?

Don't worry, it isn't the low carb kind.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Looks good Briar. Was just talking with the wife about making a blueberry buckle.

Kinda in a weekend funk. Was fine Friday. Oh well. I'll survive.

I noticed less of V again. Hope she's well.

How's your cold Phoebe?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Looks fabulous, Briar.

I've been missing v again, too.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I had to google blueberry buckle...yes Arbor, you should definitely make that. Maybe doing a task like that and enjoying the results will help you feel more productive and positive. Sometimes that works for me.