Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 20

Old 09-30-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

V - yes, I've always liked the jaywalker analogy, so true! And you've been through so much this past year, I'm glad you've been able to face all that sober and grateful. It's a true test.

I don't cook with wine anymore for the same reason Conquest cited - with the splash of wine comes an open bottle with 3/4 left, and in the past I would drink the hell out of that bottle even if I didn't intend to. I do try to avoid food prepared with alcohol now. I used to figure it didn't matter, but then I had some dish where I could really taste the wine, and it made me feel a little rabid. So I'm more cautious now. Alcohol is sneaky, sometimes you don't realize that it's in something. My friends are into kombucha, which is some kind of fermented something-or-other. It has a very small amount of alcohol, so little that you can buy it without an ID, but enough to faintly detect. So kombucha is another thing I strategically avoid when my friends try to share their nasty-ass home brew.

I know exactly what you mean about getting mesmerized by it. The sound of a cork squeaking out of a bottle always gets my attention. I can hear it from 30 feet away in a crowded party.

Dee - "bugbears," I just love the slang I hear from you guys. That's a new one for me.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I was going to ask you Briar about kombucha if you've ever had it. My wife buys it by the growler fresh. I know parents that give it to their kids. It's supposed to be super healthy and pro-biotic. Some say there's more alcohol in toothpaste. Not sure how I feel about it, but am curious just because of the health benefits.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Arbor - I'm so impressed with your commitment. You've struggled, but you've come back at it with fresh resolve. It's hard to explain, but what I've seen is that even when the drinking overpowered you here and there, you never gave up the fight. You were still you in there, and you never lost your drive to get sober. You just had times when you didn't see the way to get there. I know that feeling. I'm so proud and grateful for where I see you at now. You are doing an incredible thing.

While I was struggling early on to stay sober, my friend called me a hero, and I laughed at him. But now I get it. You're a hero - you're saving your own life and giving your family a dad and husband. If someone swooped in and saved your jaywalking ass from an oncoming truck, he would be a hero, right? Well, you're that guy. Well done!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Kombucha - I can detect the alcohol just by smelling it. I'm sure the amount varies depending on how long it has been fermenting. It's just easier for me to avoid it than obsess over the details.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yes, prolly best to just stick with my organic whole milk yogurt for the so called pro-biotics. 8)

Thanks for your kind words friend. A day at a time...
Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

ou can also take probiotics in pill form, sauerkraut, Kim Chee, etc...

I would be the same with a bottle of wine used for a recipe. Splash in the pot, and the rest in my glass. Or beer batter for that matter...

Just had to order rain boots and rain jacket. Puppy will walk in the rain, but not go out alone in it. So, guess I have a new hobby. Walking in the rain. My feet are still soggy two hours later, but I kept on the running shoes because I want to jump on my elliptical at some point. Trying to reduce my interference to exercise, lol. If I hang out ready for it at any moment, it is more likely to happen. I look like a drowned rat too.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

What a great set of posts over the last couple of days.

The Octsobers are truly an impressive group; you guys are amazing.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Ah, kombucha, never heard of it. Surprise surprise.

Since we're at the anniversary of our class formation it does have me reflecting on y'all and this past year's journey. In some ways it's distinctly individual and at the same time a group effort. It's interesting to me how much comradery I've come to feel for folks that are faceless in my real world. Like you Arbor, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to our special gang. I'll be going back to the beginning over the next little while and re-reading the words that we shared over this past year and I'm looking forward to sharing the future with y'all too.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Just checking in....having a problem with my blood pressure being to low.

Day 12 for me...I have low energy....Any suggestions ?

90/50 with a 52-55 heartbeat
Old 09-30-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I don't know Popeye. Seems like your body is dealing with a lot at the moment. You're early on in sobriety (way to go by the way!) and healing from that arm injury. Eat well, rest up and certainly follow up with your physician if necessary. Once you can get back into exercising again it'll likely perk you up. I don't like missing workouts either....makes me feel lethargic.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I need to turn on my pc, but just quickly:

Fromadistance you saw the possibility of a better future for you and your family Mark, and look at you now one year later. Wow.
You are a kind, sensitive, intelligent and determined man.
An inspiration to me, and I'm pretty sure it's your one year anniversary as I start this beautiful sunny October 1.

You all inspire me and keep me strong and positive every day.

I hate posting from my phone.
Back soon. ♥
Old 09-30-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Dee, thanks for the chart. That sauce simmered for hours, so <5% .

Before joining this class I drank every day. A lot. After work. For years. I never missed work, I functioned, so it went on for too long. Now that's not happening. That's a great feeling and I am thankful for all of you.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

OK, I'm back but no one else is here.

EDIT: I take that back.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi V. I here, catching up on the day's posts. Congrats to all those coming up on a year! You all inspire me to be a better person, in so many ways.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Interesting chart Dee. There's no source mentioned, so I'm not sure how factual it is.
US Dept of Agriculture I believe. The original page has changed.

and yes, many chefs have disagreed with the chart over the years - some vehemently but I see no reason why the chart would not be factual. I wouldn't post something I felt was spurious

It's not actually about the alcohol content for me anyway - it's about building a life without alcohol, best I can.

Like I said I don't miss it.

D
Old 09-30-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Was just wondering. I get what your saying.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks V. I hope you're as happy with spring's arrival as I am autumn. It's hard for me to think of October as spring and all pastel like Easter.

I had become an everyday drinker too BD. Not too much during the week, but way way too much on weekends. Glad none of you knew me at my worst!

I hope the week will round out nicely for everyone. My gym is closed for some upgrades tomorrow so gonna sleep in a bit.....maybe.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

It really has been an incredible journey. You guys carried me through an insane relapse, and I am forever grateful that I had a safe place to be with people who knew what was happening. I think without you guys I would have really lost myself in the isolation. And reflecting back on the past year with you all keeps me from forgetting what we've been through and how much better our lives are sober. I'm so proud of all of you. It's a real honor to be part of this group.

Healthy dinner tonight of steamed broccoli and moderately terrible baked chicken wrapped in a low carb tortilla. Let's see what 12 grams of fiber in one meal will do to me . Mark I bought some low carb tortillas but I didn't find the mission kind, the brand I got is La Tortilla Factory. I think they are actually a local brand, but they may be popular elsewhere. They taste pretty much like one would expect a low carb, low calorie, high fiber, and high protein sort of bread product to taste like. Not delectable, but fair enough as a vehicle for more decent food. Tomorrow my lunch is low fat tuna salad and spinach wrapped in one of those tortillas. Probably not the most delicious thing I will ever eat, but I sure do feel better when I eat healthy. Back when I was drinking, I lived mostly on burgers, hot dogs, and breakfast burritos. Plus absurd quantities of booze. No wonder I couldn't lose the baby weight. Duh!

Dark chocolate for dessert though . Yeah!

Another product I like, if you can get the Oroweat brand of bread where you are, is their double fiber whole wheat bread. 80 cals, 5g fiber, and 4g protein per slice. And it tastes like regular whole wheat bread. Good stuff!

Popeye I remember my body going through some pretty intense changes when I detoxed. I did see a doctor for the withdrawals, and I'm glad I did because it was kind of scary. If you're uncomfortable, it might be good to check in with a doctor.

Phoebe you have the right idea staying ready to exercise. Sometimes when I'm really not in the mood to walk, I'll put on my walking clothes anyway. After a while I usually come to accept it and just go. No way that would happen if I got home and jumped right into my jammies (which is often my preference).

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

And as a follow up to the working parents do the best we can conversation, just so you know I completely forgot to do the laundry tonight, so I busted out a new pack of underwear in the next size up. Now my little daughter is running around wearing ginormous underwear. But hey, they're clean!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

As least you had the extras Briar.

Getting pretty ominous outside. We are supposed to be in for lots of rain. All the stores are stocked with flashlights and gas cans. Se weird, we all knew how to shop for snow/blizzards. Lots of food, LOL. Eggs, milk, OJ and bread would fly off the shelves at a whisper of snow. We learned from Hurricane Sandy. Hurricanes are different. You may be without power and have no access to gas for a long time. Lots of perishables are a waste without power. I will be filling up the Jeep this morning. Batten down the hatches. Happy October!