Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 4

Old 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Yesterday I had a crappy day at work. Nothing major just routines peeves. I realised at the time I wasn't thinking "I need a drink" but would have been thinking that in the past. I actually thought process was like "bad day, forget about it and have a new start tomorrow".

Was quite chuffed alcohol wasn't even entertained.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I'm here. That's about all I can say. Tuesdays are generally pretty dismal and now we've got rain. I'm contemplating going on the treadmill to lift my spirits. A "glass of wine" did enter my thoughts, but I quickly dismissed it when I remembered I have yoga in the morning.... glad to hear folks are doing well. Weekdays are toughest for me, weekends a lot easier!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Treadmill will do the job Juno! I've never regretted a workout but have almost always regretted drinking.

Welcome to all of the newcomers! Keep posting everyone- we can do this. hopefully, despite the raw emotions, the insomnia issues, the withdrawal "blues"…we are starting to see that life will be so much better soon and in the future without the use of alcohol.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Rar

We CAN and we WILL do this Juno.

For the last few days, I've been finding hornets or wasps (yellow jacket things) in my house. Up until today, I would say I've found and killed about 12 of them. They would hover around the kitchen window and door. I couldn't find the nest around the door or see where they were coming from. Well, Hubby had off today and fortunately about 5 more wasps appeared on the door, which motivated him to go in search of the entry or nest. As we circled our house, we saw a huge swarm of them by the electrical meter. They were traveling down the wires and entering our house into the laundry room. We couldn't see where the wires were coming into the house. Hubby sprayed tons of wasp killer into the exterior hole. A giant swarm came out. Then he plugged the hole with some sort of putty. After a bit, I heard buzzing coming from the laundry room. I cautiously opened the door and there were wasps flying all over the place. (We closed the door fast!).

Meanwhile, Hubby thought that the situation called for a beer. Fortified with alcohol, he entered the laundry room armed with a fly swatter and more wasp killer. I have to admit, I wanted some fortifying myself before I entered the laundry room too. We kept swatting, spraying and closing the door. Hubby drank beer and I drank seltzer while we waited until it was time to check the laundry room again. Eventually, they stopped coming from wherever they were coming from. I bet we swept up 100 or more wasps from the laundry room. They must have had a huge nest in the wall and started to come in the house when it got cooler.

How does this relate to alcohol - well, I was thinking that it would have been nice to sit in the kitchen and wait for the wasps with a beer- sort of take the edge off, you know?. Anyway, I was good, thinking about, but not craving. It seemed as if the situation called for a beer.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome lealea, jyran, hogfish orsolov and FF

I just wanted to add something on vitamins.

They can be a help in a lot of cases, but none of us really know what we need unless we get some professional advice.

Any supplement, no matter how natural, can interact with meds or might not be suitable for everyone. See your Dr

D
Old 09-29-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday all. Whew, that round of anger and frustration has passed! No one got hurt. I'm still sober! Worked today, walked out that door LIKE A BOSS! A new amino water I wanted to try, and sweet tea instead of an adult beverage. Smiled all the way home! I was home an hour when grand girl called to see if I could play with her for awhile. It felt marvelous to say yes, come on down!!!!!! I can't do this alone, thank you all for being here.
Hugs all around!!
Prayers of wisdom and peace as well.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Ovrslov..wish you the best, peace and happiness!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Had to intervene before both the cat and the dog got hurt. I have to be more careful, but I also have to let my dogs out. They are really senseless cats. Somebody is going to get hurt. I have an old male kitty who is bigger than all 3 kitties combined..he's a coone and weighs 24 lbs. Luckily he isn't too interested....5 years ago they'd all be toast. I would just hate for one to get hurt
Oh, geez. I hope the neighbor comes to her senses. Do let her know that the dogs will go after, especially a coon like that. That is what they do
Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
Hey all,

I'd like to rejoin the class. Hope everyone is doing well here. I have 10 or so days sober total this month, I'd like to get 2 more
Hi, FF! How are you?
Old 09-29-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
I'm here. That's about all I can say. Tuesdays are generally pretty dismal and now we've got rain. I'm contemplating going on the treadmill to lift my spirits. A "glass of wine" did enter my thoughts, but I quickly dismissed it when I remembered I have yoga in the morning.... glad to hear folks are doing well. Weekdays are toughest for me, weekends a lot easier!
Great job thinking it through!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
Sorry, but I'm a cat lover, so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I would let your dogs out one at a time on a leash and let them come close to the cats (smell them, etc.). Do this over a period of days, so the dogs become somewhat familiar with the little guys. Hopefully this keeps them from chasing/injuring the cats. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs, and I'd love to be visited by kittens, but that's just me...
I'm a cat lover too (always have had them, along with dogs). If the dogs are already prey-driven (some hunting dogs are) it can be difficult to retrain their brains,especially if the kitties are outside vs. in the house. Hope the neighbor keeps them away and/or your doggies decide to be their buddies!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hi frank
I love kitties too. But don't want the neighbors kitties in my house.....that's just me. My yard? That's ok. I have done what you are saying. My little dog still chases my own cat and he's known him for years. He's got cat issues . The kitties hide behind trees and bushes so I can't see them until there's a problem. Only have so much control over this one. Im sure it'll be ok. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CapeGirl View Post
I was also so terribly afraid to admit to my doc that I have a drinking problem. But I did it!! It felt so good to get it out in the open. I was very teary of course. My doc gave me a hug and told me she was proud that I'm admitting it.
That's a big step in the right direction CapeGirl. Good for you! I feel the more people you have in your corner, the more power you have over this disease. Well done!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Frickaflip,

Regarding your back don't give up. I've had a bad back since 2012. Initially didn't realise it was my back as the pain was excruciating around my hip. I went to various doctors/chiro/acupuncture etc and was told something different each time. Eventually I found physio who was honest in saying he didn't know exactly what was wrong but it is one of a couple or four options. He told me it would take about 3 months to get better.

At this stage I couldn't sit or stand and was having trouble sleeping. I was almost suicidal with the constant pain. To cut what could be a long story short. After 3 months I was, say, 80% better and since then I'm gradually getting better and better although I do have slight flare ups every so often for often innocuous reasons. Normally though I'm totally pain free now.

Yesterday I ran for the first time since 2012.

Basically don't give up. A lot of doctors wing it but there are a small number who have great knowledge and skill.
Thanks Midton. I'm glad you are getting better. I know exactly what you're saying. Constant pain is exhausting. I hope to have insurance by January so I can have an MRI done. Then I can figure out what to do. Until then no more experimentation!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Yoga is a great motivator for me too Juno.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh Rar....scary. I had a big nest hanging in my front tree. I kept calling it the death star because it just LOOKED evil.....I had it removed by a bee guy that also sold me some awesome local honey! You guys are brave! And good on ya for not joining the hub. That's a tough deal when your partner embibes regularly. But I'm guessing your recovery will stronger for it
Old 09-29-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hi SD

Sorry for the fatigue. Have you tried taking B vitamins...especially B1, B12 and folic acid? Magnessium is also a mineral alcoholics are often low in and that can make you tired. If you can have your blood work done, test for those vitamins/minerals, that might help. D is something pretty much everyone is low in which can also affect your energy level. Just a thought.
Was just reading Dee's post also about going to the docs first. I probably am deficient in something, my diet isn't the best. It costs me $100 every time I see a doctor over here though so I might try and stock up on foods that have lots of vit D/B in and magnesium instead?

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Yup, I know this. I have a strong sense of duty and obligation and feeling connected with the people on here brings it out in me. Even one post a day concentrates my mind. I like to take the time to focus and realise WHY I am on here posting. Then I'm committed for theorist of the day. Other that this site I basically never ever post on websites I'm here for a reason, a goal, and I always, always succeed while I post and crash and burn when I don't. Simples.
That's why I jump on here first thing every morning, it sets me up for the day, renews my determination.

Welcome to all the new people

Day 17 here now I think. (My memory is terrible!)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Oh, geez. I hope the neighbor comes to her senses. Do let her know that the dogs will go after, especially a coon like that. That is what they do
Hi Mathilda
The Maine coon is mine and he could care less bout the kittens. It's my little dog. And frankly I worry about my dogs nose too! I can only do so much here....she's not going to keep them in. They go in other yards too, all with dogs and other cats. I'm not trying to sound harsh, I love animals, but they are going to have to learn. I'm doing everything I can to protect them. Promise
Old 09-29-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Midton, Juno, you are doing great. The real test are days like that. You inspire me!

Rar, I work in a historical building. Literally every year we have bees and hornets in the walls. One year, they had to break through the wall of my colleague's office and all this honey came out. It was insane!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi Mathilda
The Maine coon is mine and he could care less bout the kittens. It's my little dog. And frankly I worry about my dogs nose too! I can only do so much here....she's not going to keep them in. They go in other yards too, all with dogs and other cats. I'm not trying to sound harsh, I love animals, but they are going to have to learn. I'm doing everything I can to protect them. Promise
Oh, no: I was actually empathizing, Fricka. If you have a prey driven dog (or a territorial cat--and what cat isn't) it is hard to keep the fighting at bay. I think it is your neighbor's responsibility to keep them out of your house/yard...at least in my mind.xo