Notices

One Year & Over Part 30

Old 10-08-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Magsie

Happy thanksgiving, why don't we have a thanksgiving I wonder?

Itchy, spoors lol! I like mushrooms, they're fungus, right!

I got a silver hair dye a few weeks ago but haven't got round to using it yet. But I think it's more of a grey, though I like this grey what's going about. So I may try it at the weekend. I feel like I want a different colour hair.

I've grown it longer just in case I get 'moon face' with this asthma medication I'm taking more on than off! I thought if my hair was long I could use it like curtains round my face. I know, I'm crazy, but hey, why not.

I'm slow cooking some beef ready to make a stew or casserole, unsure what the difference is.

Have a good evening.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mags you had me at slow cook beef lol I love slow cooked beef whether it's brisket or beef cheeks its yummy
Old 10-08-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Happy ?Thanksgiving, InPar!

Mags, the last thing I need is silver hair dye, lol. I keep on trying to find non-silver roots but they are few and far between :-(
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

way to go inpar!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Happy thanksgiving, why don't we have a thanksgiving I wonder?
You guys kinda did with the traditional autumn harvest festivals - after all the pilgrims got the idea from somewhere, lol

D
Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh yeah, we have harvest festival. At school we used to take food in for parcels for the older folk. Thanks Dee!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Mags - I think we can point the finger at Oliver Cromwell. He tried to suppress all our religious celebrations, Christmas didn't recover until Prince Albert imported his Christmas traditions with the help of Dickens. Being basically pagan harvest festivals were not given the same leg up, so we have a church based event.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats to all the overs piling up the days. I checked the ol' sobriety calculator and today is 2,300 for me! I love those round numbers What's even more important to me is the fact that sober has now become my new normal. How cool is that?

I've been trying to get in two walks per day lately. I saw a lone bunny rabbit on my walk this morning. Instead of darting into the brush, he actually hopped along beside me for awhile. I thought that was pretty cool too.

Have a great Friday, gang!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

i wondered over to the unders thread by mistake! lol

hey, we all were an under once
Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Do your best

I remember the autumn harvest used to be a thing but that's long gone a shame really as I remember raiding the cupboards at home to give to the elderly & in need

Why did the schools stop that ?

I've had a really bad morning I'm through it but it was really stressful someone else's mistake I had to sort out

then later i was in a cab, the driver turns to me and says you know what I'm doing in 20 mins I replied no ? he says I'm going to go home and drink a bottle of vodka

I was like ok my gf looking at me with me looking bk the driver then asks do I drink ? I said I used to but I stopped been sober near 27 months he then realised he was talking to an alcoholic who is sober & I don't think he was expecting what I said to be fair I wasn't expecting him to say what he said

He asked did I do it on my own I said no I got help like hospital Drs AA therapy

It kinda shook him and he went into denial as he said I don't drink often once in a blue moon but he had already said he drinks every day ?

Weird cab ride while trying not to have a panic attack about the thing I have to resolve

Got everything sorted Inc shopping for a present for Mrs sw friend

got some shopping done the lil cut on my ankle is making walking hard

& just before we left this morning (we had a planned lie in planned) Mrs sw told me she saw a squirrel in the tree

I am now going to have a nice cup of tea its friday and I'm going to have a peaceful afternoon cuddled up with Mrs sw

What a morning
Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I wonder how long I will stay here......it is weird not knowing what my next phase will be after this. I know I will apply for jobs elsewhere come february, but I'm not going to do anything that doesn't challenge me...so it might be awhile before something like that comes up. I guess I am grateful today that I have options and there are many paths open to me right now. Many are stuck in situations they can't get out of. Grateful for freedom I guess. It's hard to imagine that most people in the world don't have such freedom as we enjoy here in Canada.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hello Overs,

I was at an interesting AA mtg last night. The topic was - Why are you here?

There was a nice crowd with sobriety ranging from 30 plus years to 3 days.

Some answers:
-I come for The Promises (love this answer)
http://www.singaporeaa.org/PDFs/The_AA_Promises.pdf
-I come because I feel comfortable and at home here.
-I come to guard against losing this new and wonderful way of life.
-I come with gratitude and a need to give back.
-Mine was, for the peace and serenity this program guided me towards.
-Because I was court ordered
-Because I know it will turn my day around
-etc
My Favorite - from a woman a few months passed 10 years sober...
-I come because I know that I am still broken.
Wow, I still don't have my head around that statement, but it sure makes me think.

As with last night question, might I indulge you...
So, I ask...Why do you open this One Year Over Thread?

For me, it is to look for recovery insights that will help strengthen my resolve. A nugget search....

Have a good one, Overs.

Carlos
Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Carlos, I come here as I am amongst like minded people who I think of as friends and care about although never met anyone, I feel I know them, can be myself and learn about all sorts in the bargain!

Wolfie, the taxi driver scenario came at the right time, I think! Hope you're feeling ok now.

Zippy, I think some overs know people in the undies, when I was under a year I didn't realise about the undies. I just floated about, I think! I went into a men's room conversation by mistake once, they were talking about films and I added my twopenneth then got told where I was, woops!

Fbl 2,300, that some one days.

Thanks Andy, I'm not so good at history. I do like interesting foibles though.

Our wedding anniversary today, 22 years, we haven't planned anything but my neighbour made a fantastic cake. Another friend had wished us happy anniversary on Facebook. I don't know if we've just got too comfortable , we don't follow tradition or what.

I know life is short and it passes us by so swiftly, I want to cherish the present. In the past, drinking past, it was always, what's happening next, never enjoying the now. I'm very grateful that I'm coming to appreciate what I have here and now.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Wolfie, perhaps what you said to the cab driver may make a difference in his life at some future point. When trying to get and stay sober, it sure helps this recovering alcoholic to hear from others who have done it.

Carlos, that brings me to your question: I open this thread (and a couple of others) every day to fortify my resolve in various ways. There's fellowship (especially here in the Overs and in my March 2013 thread); there are still fresh lessons to learn everywhere, plus trying to give back a bit, too and share in Newcomers and Undies. These are important reminders to me that "alcoholic" is not and never will be in the past tense and I want to be mindful of and thankful for the benefits and peace I have received by adding the word "recovering" before "alcoholic".
Old 10-09-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Do your best

I come here to learn help & support & that goes for all threads I must admit I enjoy the wisdom this thread in particular has shown me from Mags to Toots to Itchy to D all you guys help me learn something new everyday

With that being said today more books arrived so now I have these unread books

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
Change your brain change your life - Daniel Amen
The seat of the soul - Gary Zukav
Timeaeus & Critics - Plato
Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

I'm still waiting on my Brene Brown book been 2 weeks I think 'being processed'

Another lil thing that happened today was while out shopping we seen a deal on beef jerky (my mum used to love it) Mrs sw has been saying she always wanted to try it ever since seeing martin eating it on Frasier I've never tried it either but thought what the hey lol

Mrs sw ended up not liking it I absolutely loved it tasted like ox cheek

And tonight Mrs Sw is making a Irish beef & chorizo stew with vegtables its almost ready & dinner is going to be epic

Hope everyone has a relaxing friday evening or Saturday morning if your 9-12h ahead
Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy anniversary Mags

Thank you Saskia I was ok with the cab driver it was the way it happened while I was on the way trying to sort something out I really hope he seeks helps you never know

And Carlos I noticed Paulo Coelho in your signature Mrs sw bought me the Alchemist as a surprise today

Gotta go theres a beautiful bowl of food waiting for me

Old 10-09-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I come to this thread because I like the people here and I like the things that people post about; it's like grown up chit-chat with sobriety for me
Old 10-09-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

This has pretty much become my "home" thread (I also post daily in the 24 Hour and Morning Gratitude threads). I like the company and feel that we all share certain insights into lengthy sobriety. I also read the newcomers thread from time-to-time, just so I don't forget how it was for so many years.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hope your stew was good wolfie, sounds delicious.

I agree Fbl, it's good to not forget how we were. I sometimes forget.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Mags it was top notch Mrs sw should apply to masterchef

I've been watching this new series on Bbc 2 called Patagonia I think it's the same crew Attenborough uses I've seen dvds on Patagonia before bear grylls etc but this was so much more in depth so beautiful