Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 6

Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  
saoutchik

They are Shabby.

As an alternative to a TT the Alpha GT Coupe looks good and seats 4 as does the even better looking Alpha Brera. Not sure what running costs would be like though in NZ
Old 10-22-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Hey great, we'll take a look at those. I used to have one of these, although it wasn't in as good nick as this one. I loved it, but my god it was a *pig* to drive. Kind of a love/hate relationship. It would stall going around tight corners -the steering would lock and I would have to quickly start it mid-corner....oh, and it was picky about when it would start and it never idled well, despite being seen to by many mechanics. Electrics were always doing crazy things. My ex-husband is really into cars, and he said it was typical of Italian cars. Maybe they have sorted out a few wrinkles since then(?)

Old 10-22-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Here's what I know about cars.

They have become monochromatic. When I was looking a couple years ago -- my car's birthday is just after my sober birthday -- I noticed everything came in:

white
black
gray

Oh, and red.

I bought the navy blue one, mostly because of the color, though I researched and found it was a respected model. A nice little used number with low miles.

Only 10 percent of Americans know how to drive a manual. I'm one of them. I prefer it, actually. When I bought my Scion, the sales guy told me even fewer than of the salesforce knew how to drive a stick.

Fortunately, whatever is under the hood has been perfect so far. Which I could say the same for the exterior. I've had to replace two windows (burglary), the windshield (chunk of ice flew off the top of a truck and hit me), the front end (guy backed into me) and there's a mystery dent over one of the wheels.

Cars. Can't live without 'em here.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. Nothing to add to the car conversation. All is fine here. Day 11, I think. No desire to drink. Took Cissy (Cisco) to the Vet. Even as affordably priced as they are, it cost $208 and if the needle biopsy of the hip tumor comes back as anything other than fatty cells, it will cost $185 for the pathologist to determine what it is.

Although I'd like to know if it is cancerous or if it is a bone abnormality, I'm not going to put her through chemo or surgery so it seems kind of a waste of money to blow on pathology. I'm hoping when the Vet calls me tomorrow with the blood work results and stuff, she tells me that it's a fatty tumor but harder than all the rest.

Dogs can cost you a fortune over their lifetimes, man. She has surely cost me thousands. Never had a dog who was SO high maintenance, and I "bloody well" never will again. LOL! I can at least make sure the dog won't need regular hair cuts. That much I can do!

I have decided not to cut through the liquor store parking lot like I used to do, to get through a clogged intersection. I think staying off the property is a good move, don't you?

Have a great night/day, everyone. (((Hugs!)))
Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

I hope Cisco is doing as well as can be expected, Cissy. I love dogs, just love them. And I'd give anything to have one, but it wouldn't be fair given my hours at work (I don't really want to go into the whole doggy day care realm) and, beyond that, my condo rules prohibit me from getting one. I think sometimes about getting another cat but never feel compelled enough to do so.

In my state, liquor can only be sold in liquor stores, though there's a regular legislative effort to permit it. So for the most part, I never have to come near them any more. I feel lucky when it comes to that. I think you're wise to re-route.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 11 days Cissy. Good luck to Cisco, I hope the tumour turns out to be non cancerous

Alfa 75 Shabby? They were made about the time the Fiat group took them over so just before the quality started to improveBack in 1983 I owned an Alfa GTA (same model as the red one) but I had the bonnet(hood) of the much more desirable GTV (the grey one) fitted in the hope that people would mistake it for a V6. Every day was a lottery as to if it would start, stop change gear, doors sizing up etc etc. All down to complicated Italian politics

Since the turn of the century reliability is fine now. OK enough by me on cars (otherwise I will never stop)

Weird thing is I think modern cars, specifically the combustion engine part are very dated. Like steam trains in the 1950s - they were superior to those built before but still dead end technology
Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oops, didn't post the pic. Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151023_000117.jpg (29.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-23-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Administrator

fire up the Quattro for me

Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Day 12 here. I count my sober date as the first day I drank not a drop so that day is day 1. I know others count the day before but that doesn't make sense to me. Anyhow, here I is at day 12.

The Vet called while I was asleep and the ringer on my phone was off and left an incomplete report of the findings. She wanted to talk with me about "some changes" but she won't be back in the office until TUESDAY. If she'd told me that when I left there yesterday, I sure as heck would have left the phone turned on. It doesn't sound like anything bad though so maybe this hard tumor on her hip is just another fatty tumor. Wish we could inject it with steroids and shrink it down or something. Tuesday I'll talk with her.

No plans for me today. Just will putter in and around the house. Temps have cooled down alot and the trees are still very pretty. Will get some things done, I hope. Have a great one! Hope everyone else is adding to their tally.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yes i agree Cissy, day 1 is first full day stopped. Congratulations on 12 days, they are beginning to add up already. You are doing very well.

I'm sure the vet would have asked you to call back in person if it was serious Cissy

Them's good Dee, Phil Glenister has his own car show now

Off to play indoor Crazy Golf later, that's as wild as I get these days lol!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Have fun, Sao!!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Sao Cissy about the callback if it was serious

Have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 10-23-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Enjoyed Crazy Golf but have cone down with manflu. Bugger!

In my own time too, how irritating
Old 10-23-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you feel better tomorrow Sao

D
Old 10-23-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Hunker down, Sao.

Whatever the bug is, I hope this goes better for you than it did for me. My bug (the ladyflu?) was brutal for the first couple days. Couch. Blankets. Orange juice. Bad TV. SR. And sleep. The think I slept my way through 90 percent of the first day.

Take care.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I'm not diminishing your experience, Venecia, but manflu is far, far worse than ladyflu :-D

They just don't make cars like they used to. Modern cars are completely uninspiring. Nice alphas and nice audi!

Wait to go, Cissy! Racking up some serious time there....

How you going, Jen? Exam time?
Old 10-24-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Woke up feeling c**p but am a whole lot better now. I think my immune system is working better now I have stopped drinking

Good luck against the springboks Shabby
Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
I'm not diminishing your experience, Venecia, but manflu is far, far worse than ladyflu :-D
Does the fact that it's still not entirely gone count? I've always been that way. Mine last forever.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Sao, so hope this manflu passes quickly. (((Hugs)))

Samo samo here. Busy afternoon. Have a great day/night, everyone!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you Cissy - it has too (well almost)