Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 6

Old 10-18-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

We saw The Stones a few years back in Auckland. We were sitting so far back up on the hill they just looked like squitty little things on something the size of a matchbox. Not loud enough either....it was a disappointment. It didn't stop my friend and I standing up on the steep hill and dancing. No one behind us complained because you couldn't see a thing anyway. Still, we 'saw' them :-)

I liked your crack about singing happy birthday.....along with 43,000 others....you had me there for a second, Ven :-)
Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Administrator

You were thinking of Keith Richard/Richards lol

D
Old 10-18-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Or that Charlie Watt fellow.

Shabby, I got lucky. The venue where the Stones played this summer here is a smallish university football stadium (or small compared to some of the enormous cathedrals for football built in some U.S. universities.) So there really wasn't a bad seat in the whole place. Even though we were in the cheaper section (the photo gives you pretty good perspective), the images on the Jumbotron made it seem like you were in the front row.

Ha ha -- I wondered whether anyone *might* momentarily think I was personally called upon to sing to Charlie and Ronnie. I sometimes have fun with such things. Earlier this year, on April Fools Day, I posted on Facebook that I had won a dinner with one of the Stones when they came to town -- the only problem being it was Charlie and it seems he seldom speaks and I hadn't a clue what we'd talk about. I had a few friends going for a while there.

The year before on April Fools, I posted that I had a won a sweepstakes to be cast as an extra on "Downton Abbey" and was keeping my fingers crossed that I would portray a visiting American heiress and not a middle-aged scullery maid. Apparently, there is still a former co-worker wondering when I debut in my "Downton" role.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

I'll have to catch up on all the posts tomorrow but wanted to report in. I'm back home from mom's birthday dinner out at the restaurant and I had 3 iced teas with lemon and Splenda, didn't eat the bread from the pizza but scalped the toppings off of 3 pieces, and didn't touch a single battered eggplant which was sitting directly in front of me (cause they ordered 2 for the whole table.) I ordered a Caesar salad sans croutons instead.

The sister thing has blown over. I set up how we would sit so that there was no empty chair beside me or across from me, so that gave me a cushion from her. She was down the other end of the table but she wasn't angry and neither was I. I'm pretty sure my middle sister and BIL talked with her on the way, cause they picked up my mom and that sister and they all drove together to the restaurant.

All is well. Day 7 in the bag and still on low carb. Sweet. Ttyt. (((Hugs)))
Old 10-18-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the luncheon is over and done, Cissy. Good job getting through and Day7!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

I'm going to try and quit smoking tomorrow, I'm such an idiot for creating all these addictions
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you're an idiot. Addiction is an equal opportunity parasite - no respecter of intellect at all.

I'm glad you're quitting tho

D
Old 10-18-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Awwww, thanks Dee xo
Old 10-18-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

I have to quit smoking very soon :-/ I only smoke about 3 a day, but I have to stop. I actually worry a lot more about my partner. His father died of emphysema, and my partner smokes more than I do and really 'gets into it'...breathing it in hard. I almost 'pretend smoke'....it's really daft and pointless. Have one or two puffs and put it out. Just a habit, I guess.

Go for it, Jen!!! Last time I gave up I found the e-cig really, really helpful. It takes quite a lot of the craving away, but after a couple of weeks it was like "meh, this is pointless." Good luck!!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
I have to quit smoking very soon :-/ I only smoke about 3 a day, but I have to stop. I actually worry a lot more about my partner. His father died of emphysema, and my partner smokes more than I do and really 'gets into it'...breathing it in hard. I almost 'pretend smoke'....it's really daft and pointless. Have one or two puffs and put it out. Just a habit, I guess.

Go for it, Jen!!! Last time I gave up I found the e-cig really, really helpful. It takes quite a lot of the craving away, but after a couple of weeks it was like "meh, this is pointless." Good luck!!!!
Thanks shabby! I have a nicotine inhaler, hopefully that takes the edge off a bit.
3 a day is really good! Emphysema is really scary
I'll approach this in a similar way to drinking .
I'm actually scared and nervous to be a non smoker, non drinker-
who am I?!?!!!!!
I'm just going to run with it.
I'm scared to get fat too, but I'll deal with that as it comes at me.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

I understand that fear. I remember someone said once "if not now, then when?" about giving up. I thought it was a good question!

Sparkling mineral helps with that 'I must consume something' feeling - no negatives though...all good :-) (Well, except for constantly needing to go to the toilet!)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us know the real you j, even if you're not sure who that is...you'll be ok

D
Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Thanks team, the sparkling water is a good idea shabby, maybe I'll throw some lemon into it.

Dee you're always such a doll xo
Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good idea Jen/Tooshabby after the first six weeks or so it's only an occasional craving which eventually goes for good. You don't have to "work at it" like you do with alcohol. I quit smoking in 1987 and never took it up again even when I became an alcoholic. Not just health benefits either - a pack of 20 costs close to £8 in the UK, say $12 in US dollars

I did smoke some weed when I was younger but I don't think it was ever very strong like today's skunk or whatever it's called so it never got to be a habit. It is getting quite hard to be a smoker in the UK these days, tobacco can no longer be displayed openly.

I hear from some others that Champion are pretty good at curbing the nicotine craving but have some unpleasant side effects like sleeplessness - it's only for a short while though isn't it
Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done at Joey Garlic's Cissy
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

FAIL.
I smoked a couple cigs today already, ah well, I smoked way less than normal, I'll keep at it and begin again tomorrow.
I'm a repeat offender with addictions though, it takes a few trial and errors, then I usually get the hang out it
Xo

How's everyone else doing today?

I went to vote today, super glad I wasn't too hungover to go
Old 10-19-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I'm a trial and error person too, Jen. You will get there!!

I'm slightly stressed because I missed a work call last night - didn't check my phone - colleague has left a couple of messages sounding a bit terse :-/ I've left a message saying when can I call you about it....I'm so annoyed with myself.

What was the vote about?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Spellcheck duh champion should have read champix tablets

I am impressed with the Downton Abbey story Venecia, very imaginative ( I have never seen the show myself) Just watched Fargo series 2 episode 1, brilliant
Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I do that quite often Tooshabby, phonecalls, emails, FB, Tweets - it's endless