Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 6

Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

I get why nesty stays away, that's why I don't go to AA, it makes me want to drink.
Glad to hear you're doing well xo
Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you are doing well too, Nesty :-)

Yes, I get it too. I can get triggered by watching people drink in movies or even my partner saying how well I'm doing not drinking. My drinking actually became worse after joining SR for a while, I think because confronting it made my AV scream louder for fear of being killed off. The tables have turned now, I think. But yep, I get where Nesty is coming from.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Nesty

If you ever feel the urge to come back and start a fun thread of your own, noone's going to stop you

D
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hello, sober peeps. Day 2 for me. I'm not one who does the daily counting but this early in the journey, I will.

Shabby, you're 17 hours ahead of where I am. It always seems so crazy to me when I think of the world and the globe and the seasons and how different things are for us "up here" vs "down there" where you are. Enjoying Spring while on the flip side, it's a lovely Fall day here.

Anyway, I did end up eating something I shouldn't have last night but I don't care. Like I said, I'll give myself that out if I need it, so long as I don't drink. But LC is what I'm shooting for (low carb, for those who don't know that LC already.) Eventually I'll have fewer aches and pains, and many fewer lbs. (Or kg.)

2.2 lbs to 1 kg, right? No idea how many lbs equal "a stone." That always confuses me when I've watching weight loss programs from Britain.

I listened to that 3rd soundcloud. I think you're right, Shabby. Thank you for helping me to understand what actually happened in my little experience that ended so abruptly. Yes, I'm better off.

We've got a little rain coming in but nothing major. Upper 60's (Fahrenheit. This talking to people all over the planet is hard!) and the trees are all pretty but the leaves are beginning to fall pretty quickly. Fall is lovely and I love it but there is a definite sadness to it too. I'll try to remember that it isn't sad all over the world and we each need our growing seasons and then the ones where we rejuvenate.

My dog slept on my bed all night last night with me! Didn't know it til I woke up and she was still there. Very unusual. She got lots of love and attention and then she jumped off and grabbed one of her babies and pranced around until I got to her food dish to throw a scoop of kibble in it. She's a good girl.

Have an excellent day/night. I'll be in and out. (((((Hugs)))))

And I understand about Nesty too.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Way to go on 2 days Cissy

All the best Nesty, hope you check in occasionally, it's nice to hear from you
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Lovely post, Cissy :-)

It's spring down here and the blossoms are so pretty. I always wish they would last longer but I guess that makes them all the more special. I know what you mean about that autumnal melancholy - it's kind of beautiful in it's own way.

Your dog - is that Cissy? - sounds like a darling. Maybe she's supporting you through the early days?

I'm not one for daily counting either, but yes, early days are different. Let's do this!

14 pound in a stone. I still think in pounds, stones, celsius... can't teach an old dog new tricks :-)
Old 10-13-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hola,

Just home from work, gonna eat and then head out to chat with a professor, go to class, then probably yoga and read for school.
I try not to count days either, but early days is hard.
I love fall too, but I'm really dreading these long rocky mountain winters.
Xo
Old 10-13-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Way to go on 2 days Cissy

All the best Nesty, hope you check in occasionally, it's nice to hear from you
Thank you Sao. I agree. I hope Nesty pops in from time to time.

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Lovely post, Cissy :-)

It's spring down here and the blossoms are so pretty. I always wish they would last longer but I guess that makes them all the more special. I know what you mean about that autumnal melancholy - it's kind of beautiful in it's own way.

Your dog - is that Cissy? - sounds like a darling. Maybe she's supporting you through the early days?

I'm not one for daily counting either, but yes, early days are different. Let's do this!

14 pound in a stone. I still think in pounds, stones, celsius... can't teach an old dog new tricks :-)
Thank you. Yes, Cissy is my dog. Cisco, actually. I call her both, and lots of other names. When "Cisco" becomes two words, she better run.

Spring is my favorite season, then Fall. If I could stand the heat and humidity (and biting insects), Summer would come in third but I just can't take the heat and run to shade or a/c most of the time. Still, it's wonderful when everything is so green and fresh tomatoes and other produce is so available. Winters can be rough here but I love watching snow fall.

It's raining right now and when there are no cars going by, I can actually hear the rain falling on the leaves of the bushes beside the open windows. I love little things like that in nature. Makes me so thankful cause I know so many really need a good drink. Places with raging wildfires and such awful drought.

Thanks for explaining what a stone weighs in lbs. I can't think in anything but temps in F and weight in lbs and ozs. Us backward Americans.

Enjoy the Springtime, Shabby!

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Hola,

Just home from work, gonna eat and then head out to chat with a professor, go to class, then probably yoga and read for school.
I try not to count days either, but early days is hard.
I love fall too, but I'm really dreading these long rocky mountain winters.
Xo
You're in the Rockies? How beautiful it must be there. Enjoy your yoga and reading. What are you studying? How far along are you?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 2 days Cissy

D
Old 10-13-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Ain't no thang.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Thank you Sao. I agree. I hope Nesty pops in from time to time.

Thank you. Yes, Cissy is my dog. Cisco, actually. I call her both, and lots of other names. When "Cisco" becomes two words, she better run.

Spring is my favorite season, then Fall. If I could stand the heat and humidity (and biting insects), Summer would come in third but I just can't take the heat and run to shade or a/c most of the time. Still, it's wonderful when everything is so green and fresh tomatoes and other produce is so available. Winters can be rough here but I love watching snow fall.

It's raining right now and when there are no cars going by, I can actually hear the rain falling on the leaves of the bushes beside the open windows. I love little things like that in nature. Makes me so thankful cause I know so many really need a good drink. Places with raging wildfires and such awful drought.

Thanks for explaining what a stone weighs in lbs. I can't think in anything but temps in F and weight in lbs and ozs. Us backward Americans.

Enjoy the Springtime, Shabby!

You're in the Rockies? How beautiful it must be there. Enjoy your yoga and reading. What are you studying? How far along are you?
Yes it is so beautiful here, even in winter, just soooo cold!
I study sociology concentrated in criminology combined degree with psych- I used to study political science ( no wonder I drink....)
3rd year, but I'll be in school forever, I'm hoping to get into grad school for master and possibly Ph.d :/
I love university though.

I love nature too, I just walked by the river after school, alcohol was stealing the things I enjoyed, I more often than not, would just come home and start on the wine.
So hence the walk and yoga; which is interesting because I'm "forcing" myself to go out and do little things like walking, yoga, a coffee shop- I LOVE these things, I just got so used to drinking or being hungover that I'm not used to doing things I love anymore.
I'm a bit of a workaholic too

How are things with everyone else?!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Lot's of people seem to find their forever home in a university. Maybe you'll end up teaching at one and never have to leave. If that's your happy place, you might as well stick around. If they pay you to do it, all the nicer.

Yes, alcohol can and often does become a pastime. I'm looking forward to becoming more of myself again and less of a hermit. I truly am one, too. Very solitary. Not healthy for the mind sometimes. I need to get out there more and take the poor dog for some walks. I'm a lousy dog owner. She loves me, but she doesn't know how good she could have it somewhere else.

I hope you post some pics of your beautiful river walks and mountain snows. I'm crazy for Aspens and Pines.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I *loved* university too. Felt quite depressed when it was all over!

Gosh, that's so true isn't it...about not doing the things you love anymore because of alcohol and hangovers.

I can get very solitary if I let myself too, Cissy. It's good to have time alone but if I have too much of it I start going a bit nuts
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I love your bug-eyed smiley! Very apropos.

Day 3. Haven't left the house in 4 days so that helps with sobriety. Not having an drives past a liquor store or in a grocery store aisle. I'll have to go out eventually, and then it will be down to simple impulse control. I'm not craving any.

Intermittent gloom here right now. Hope the sun comes out in a while. I see it trying. I have defrosted a roasting chicken overnight and will be roasting that baby in about an hour. I'm not really into meat so much but on LC, dog gone eggs get pretty old. The best part of the chicken (to me) is the crispy skin. I'll use the chicken meat in recipes and boil the bones to make stock for a nice homemade soup.

I am not one who loves to cook but when I'm on LC, I really don't have a choice. In the end, I am healthier and drop weight and excess water retention and that affects my mental state even more than too much alone time. High time I became proactive again.

I saw a documentary on Glen Campbell on Netflix last night. UGH. So sad to see what Alzheimers does to a mind. It was a wonderful program though and it was full of highs and lows. Beautifully done.

Hope you all have a lovely and sober day/night. Will check back in later on.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Day 3 already!! Woo hoo! The hardest bit is making the decision and getting started, for me. Then once I have some momentum it gets a bit easier. Still no urges here, but I'm sure they will come soon enough. I'm on my guard.

I didn't know Glen Campbell had Alzheimers. It is such an awful disease both for the sufferer and their loved ones. I might see if I can find it. Thinking about joining this 'Netflix' everyone is talking about. Not sure if we can get it down here in the bowels of the earth.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the Coke he snorted probably didn't help either Cissy

It's funny how different things trigger different people. I am fine in booze aisles when I go food shopping on the other hand when I see people on TV or even worse the big screen my alarms start ringing
Old 10-14-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Me too shabby, once I get a momentum going its easier, it sometimes takes months to get started
Thats why relapses are scary, it could be months or years before you can get sober again
Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

He did a lot of coke? It talks about heavy drinking he'd done but it makes sense that wasn't the only thing he used. He is on his 4th and last wife and I guess the divorces really weren't easy for him. 8 kids!

"The bowels of the earth." If that's so, are we the titties up here? I don't know if Netflix is available down there but in this age of internet, I can't imagine why not. It's a very economical way to get good stuff to watch. I don't have cable or satellite tv so streaming video is all I have. I've gotten used to it and don't feel I'm missing much.

My triggers for booze are mostly due to my emotions. I can stay the course if things are going okay but if suddenly my emotions are triggered, I don't care. In that moment, I'm unconcerned with anything but relieving the tension. Booze is a fickle friend, though. Can't always know how it will make you feel.

I have a birthday dinner coming up this Sunday. I will be face-to-face with the sister I had a huge fight with over the phone last week. I guess I mentioned it before but it was a big deal. We have learned to not address things that irritate us about one another in our family (booze has caused me to say some things that I meant but shouldn't have) and there will be beer at the table. We usually get a pitcher and 3 or 4 of us drink. We often get a second pitcher.

I'm going in with the intention of not having a drop but I'm going to try to avoid her and sit between two other people and stay pretty quiet. If it turns into a confrontation, (which it shouldn't cause she's one that doesn't drink and it IS my mom's birthday party, after all), I don't know how I'll handle it. I hope I'll be strong and level-headed.

The whole thing will be one big temptation cause we're going to a place called Joey Garlic's for pizza and their food is awesome. I may eat the bread or just scalp the toppings off a few pieces. Again, time will tell.

Doing fine on LC so far. Tonight I wanted something and just couldn't deal with meat or cheese or eggs so I remembered I had a few homegrown tomatoes still waiting to be used so I cut them up and poured ranch dressing and salt all over it and it was perfect.

Tomatoes are high in carbs but I'm more concerned with the kinds of carbs I eat than how many at this point. I'm looking down the road to a year from now and I know those tomatoes aren't going to hurt me.

I do an awful lot of talking about myself here. I hope you don't mind or get tired of me. Have a wonderful night/day. See you all later. Kutgw!! It's just another day.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get netflix TS - we have it here in Oz, and I know kiwi mates who have it

congrats on day 3 Cissy

D
Old 10-14-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Several years ago, my cousin and her baby were strolling through a park in NYC. An older man stopped to look at the baby, touching him very gently and repeating "what a sweet little baby." It was Glen Campbell; his dementia was apparent, though it had not been announced publicly yet.

Great documentary. It was on CNN here in the States a few months back.

Good going on Day 3, Cissy. Good going, all of us.