Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 6

Old 10-12-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's great news Cissy!

If I can chip in with my 5 pence worth - I reckon that not drinking is the number 1 priority so give your self a bit of sober time before you put yourself on any sort of a diet, especially as most of crave sweet stuff in the early days, I know I did
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Ribbit.

You are all 100% right and it's so nice to hear you say things that I can relate to so well. I have trouble believing that I can't moderate successfully. I tell myself that it's worth the effort to keep trying cause I don't want to be that kind of person who "can't" have something.

I have to change my perspective. If it's a "world of no", then I have to let it be a world of no more hangovers or cloudy thought processes the day after. No more looking in the mirror and seeing the whites of my eyes be so murky. No more money wasted (at least on booze). No more late night booze-induced drives to the McDonald's drivethru and eating with no control.

No more "lots of things." No more being the frog. Dee, I read that article (thanks for the link) and I could see that I've been the frog all my life, in many different areas of my life. I always say I have "analysis paralysis." Same idea as the apathetic frog, I guess.

I'm going to start today. I'm going to start back on my low carb eating plan today, too. I have so much to undo, people. I'm tired of being unhappy and trapped in an unending circle of bad decisions and their consequences.

Day #1 here.
I wasn't a bad eater when drinking, but the next day was a no limits food binge!!
I would eat so well all week, then binge on wine, have a hangover, lay in bed all day and eat 3000 calories.
Ridiculous! I've been trying to lose 10 lbs for 3 years haha.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Cissy!!!!! Yay!!! That 'day one' news has brightened up my day. I'm so happy for you!

Cissy - your call, obviously, but Sao might have a good point there about giving up two things at once. I plan to give up smoking soon, but I'm giving myself a bit of a break on that front until I feel more solid on the sober front. That could be just my AV talking though!

Ha ha...love it, Jen. Me too. Healthy all week, get completely trashed on wine, then eat 3000 cals of carbs and fats, usually takeaways of some form or another. It's amazing how hungry you get the day after. Think it might have something to do with blood sugar levels or something.

Keep checking in, (((Cissy))). Those first few days are the hardest but once you get a week under your belt you will feel so much better. We're here for you :-)
Old 10-12-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Thank you. Yeah, I hear what you're saying about taking on too much at once but honestly, I feel so much better when I eliminate starches from my diet that my blood sugar stays steady, my mood is more stable and it will be less likely that I will be "all over the place" with my emotions.

It's how I'm going to approach it this time. If I mess up and eat something I shouldn't have, no worries. Just back at it after that and carry on.

Sao, I'd kill if 10 lbs was all I had to lose. I've been hypothyroid since I was about 34 and I've struggled with my weight since then. I was never a naturally thin person but I did get away with eating a lot worse than I should have. After my thyroid tanked, it was all over. I'm 53 now.

The frog is going in the low carb pot and slowly I'll turn up the heat on that bad boy.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

That sounds like a really good way to go, Cissy. You know your own body :-)
Old 10-12-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're so happy for me. The sign of true friends. <3

I private messaged Nesty yesterday but no response. Does anyone have her email? Maybe we should reach out to draw her back to the fold.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

No, I don't have it unfortunately, but your PM will reach it. I'll send her a PM too and let her know we're thinking of her.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I'll pm too.

Cissy I don't eat refined carbs either, I balloon up!
But I eat brown rice, and veggies/ fruit for carbs
UNLESS it's a hangover day, then bring on the burgers, pizza, soda and whatever the hell else I can get my hands on.
The I promise myself THAT was the last time, that I'm going to stop drinking and eating like that.
Rinse, repeat....
The step to actually stop has to start somewhere, it's hard, but possible
Old 10-12-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Cissy, it sounds like today has been a truly new day for you. Embrace it, girl! And tomorrow, too!
Old 10-12-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I wouldn't use the word "embrace" for how I'm feeling about today but I appreciate the sentiment! LMAO! I'm feeling pretty blasé, my friends.

That's too bad that we can't reach Nesty. I think she may have left SR altogether.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I sent her a message too. Guess we can live in hope :-)

I've only got two and half weeks sober, Cissy, so we're pretty much starting out together. I don't want to go back to that dreadful cycle. I've never gone longer than two months sober, so I haven't given sobriety a chance. I'm kind of excited to see what gradual changes may take place.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Well I haven't gone more than 3 weeks sober in years, so we're all on the same page.
I've just been trying for a year, so I know the drill, but I'm giving it a good go too, I tell myself "why not"
Honestly what can it hurt us to just try it out?
Relapse queen here.

I pm'd nesty too
Old 10-12-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Oh, cool! We're in this together. (((Hugs))) I remember when I had stopped for those first 2 years, how easy it was and how good I did feel. I remember telling my sister that I didn't think I ever really knew what it was like to feel normal cause I'd always done one thing or another. But something changed at that 2 year point and I started wanting it again. I gave in to that after 6 months and have pretty much been drinking regularly since the summer of 2008. Long time.

Had a few times where I didn't drink for a couple of months but always decided to go back. I sure look forward to spending my meager funds on something more worthwhile.

What are you ladies and gentlemen going to do with all the money you save from now on?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yes we're definitely in this together, we all want ot lose weight and get sober, so we might try together and report our ups and downs.
I went for a walk by the river, cooked all day and am going to start studying.
I feel good, I had to ward off some cravings, but nothing too drastic- honestly its the thought of the hangovers that is keeping me sober right now, I can't take them anymore, I wake up and think "why am I doing this to myself?!" The drinking wasn't even that fun.
And if I drink thats all I can do, just drink all night, it holds me hostage.

I'm not sure what I'll spend the money on, I was thinking of taking my mom to Alaska, but right now the weight drop is most important, I'm so sick of these extra pounds.
What're you saving for?!

You've had long periods of sobriety, you can totally do it again!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

We've got so many things that need doing around the place. We have to get a new vanity bench top for the bathroom, for example, because I died my hair once a while back when I was completely plastered, and now there is dark brown dye all over it. It's ruined.

You wouldn't believe some of the shite I've got up to while drunk. So many great ideas and suddenly so much energy. We have this massive big wooden plank that we had to bring into our staircase to stand on so that we could change the light bulbs and paint the ceiling. One night, apparently, sometime after midnight, I lugged the whole plank in by myself - it weighs a tonne - but I jammed it diagonally sprung tight in the stair well. Couldn't budge it one way or another. When my partner got up and went to use the stairs, he found it had turned into an obstacle course. That was one of the few drunken events I could actually laugh about.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I have quite a few funny times,
And the obstacle course is hilarious haha

But something weird started happening, I started getting odd when I drank too much, like overly emotional and upset about things I actually couldn't care less about sober, and percieving things competely wrong, twisting words that people said etc
Not sure when things started getting dark, but they did somewhere along the way

Do you ladies think nesty is drinking again?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Oh God, I hope not. I don't think so. I think she just missed Frank really badly, and it wasn't quite the same afterwards. She has openly said she can get quite stressed on threads and I think she really enjoyed Frank's levity.

I do happen to know Frank is drinking though, which is sad news. I listened to a recording on sound cloud. I would keep in touch with him but I spend so much time on SR already, I just can't afford the time. I dunno, maybe that's a cop out. I do feel guilty about it :-/

Have to get ready for work soon. I've got a pretty bad SR addiction! Could be worse though, right?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Hey everyone - Nope I'm not drinking . As I've posted in many threads , I will surly end up in the ER or Dead . There are no ifs or maybe's . It's poison plan & simple .
Before I joined SR I wasn't fighting with my AV - I didn't think or talk about drinking . My anxiety stemmed from childhood - alcohol just made it worse .
After joining SR suddenly my anxiety got worse . I liked Franks thread because his wasn't about drinking all the time . It was fun & jokes . Laughing with friends .
My life's journey is to be Happy sober ( which I am ) not talk about how bad it brought me down everyday .
To me it's like a having a cut & just rubbing salt into it day in & day out ... Miss you all & the fun we did have .
Take care & I hope you all the best in your Sober journey's .
for caring & helping me with Baby
I'm going to go Fry up some Frog Legs
Old 10-12-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

A walk by the river. My kind of activity. I don't have enough money to truly save it for something in the future so it will just get spent each month for more worthwhile things.

I don't believe Nesty would go back to drinking. Not unless she had to put Baby down. I'm sorry to hear that about Frank. Really sorry. That explains some things for me though. I'll pm you, shabby.

Sorry. I'm not so good at doing personals but it is only day 1 for me. I made an appointment at the Vet for my dog today. October 22, we go for her annual physical, shots and for the Dr's opinion of what's going on with this tumor on her right hip. She's always had fatty tumors and weird cysts and every time they were needle-biopsied, they were benign. I don't think this hip one will be. She's 12 1/2 and I won't put her through chemo. She's not suffering much yet so I will just see what they say on the 22nd.

She is starting to take longer to sit down when I tell her to, and sometimes she avoids sitting or laying down so I've upped her daily aspirin to give it to her twice a day. I know that's the right dose for her weight cause when she's had an abscess on her eye, that's what they had me give to her during treatment.

Some nice person on Freecycle gave me a set of folding pet steps a week ago, after I asked for some. Google Freecycle and you'll be shocked to find them in your part of the world. They are a very cool organization where people post things they no longer want and give them away for free, rather than throw them into the landfill. You can go on there and post "wanted" ads too. I've gotten so many things through Freecycle. Time I gave back a little.

I will share some of my drunk stories in due time, but not now. I hate the things that leave a mark, don't you? Hard to ignore a blackened bathroom counter or a gauge in the wall. I have a broken knuckle in one of my toes. No memory of it but had to have dropped a piece of firewood on it one night while sitting around the firepit, drinking. Blacked out. Had to be helped into the house by the people who live upstairs. I woke up the next day and couldn't stand on it. No wonder I couldn't get back in the house myself! They didn't know I broke my toe, just thought it was all due to the booze.

When it comes down to splitting those kinds of hairs, it was the booze. Case closed. Goodnight, lovely sober people. (((Hugs)))
Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Nesty!! Was that hello AND goodbye? Crap. I got excited for nothing?