Notices

Class of July 2013 Part 22

Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, Snooz. I am fine.

We had some big drama here last night--a construction crisis--that occupied every bit of our attention till midnight.

The situation definitely diverted me emotionally; plus the physical labor involved must have worked off my frustration.

I am now back to normal!

So often there is good that comes through crises!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hopefully you sweated out your car accident stress, Gilmer!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Yes, there was a lot of sweat involved!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Sorry about your accident glimer. I hope you are doing ok.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Briefly jumping on here Snoozy...

I'm going to agree with wehav. She makes a very good point. Minding your own house , as Dee offered, is indeed good advice...... But sometimes we need 'housekeepers' to help us. Being around other alcoholics, whether active in their addiction, or solid in their recovery, would be ( IMHO ) enormously beneficial to you right now. As alcoholics, we can find all kinds of reasons not to seek the help we so desperately need. Maybe try to hit a meeting this week or weekend?

Hope you and all good people on this awesome thread are well.

My 2 cents... And I'm off.
Ok LDT you suggested a meeting and it appears we misinterpreted it.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thanks for inviting me into July13 SnoozyQ. I enjoy you posts since we are all at different points. Glad to see your Bob is still here. Our Bob in July15 is MIA right now
Old 09-19-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Let me apologize in advance for possibly having missed something?

I have attended approximately 500 AA meetings since 6/3/13 and have yet been asked to go drinking afterwards. I would say that in about 10 of them there was someone there that obviously came drunk. So with just some quick math, at 15 per meeting and 500 meetings, that makes 10 in 7500 active in addiction...or, 1 in 750. Consequently, I would have to be looking very hard to find a drinking buddy with those odds.

Aside from that, the other 749 of 750 have a way of offering many a pearl of wisdom that I have used to grow my sober toolbox...especially for the times it has most been needed.

Honestly, I do not leave meetings and think "did I like that meeting"? Liking or not liking is of little to zero importance to me. My goal is to walk out of a meeting taking with me the aspects that align with my willingness for sobriety at any measure. When I hear something that is counter to my recovery perspective...I simply leave it there. Yet, some things I left behind in the early stages are now principals of recovery that I follow. Time takes time...progress, not perfection.

Here is a benchmark I use for any activity to choose to spend time at- is what I'm doing drawing me closer or further away from my next drink...and...I've yet to walk out of a meeting feeling that it drew me closer to a drink than it did further away.

I'm not saying that anyone needs to go to an AA meeting or not. If you read HOW IT WORKS it clearly states what the millions that have been successful have done to achieve success in the program. I will say that it has been my experience that AA meetings are as far from a trigger as anything I do in life.

Yes, like many, I went to learn ways to live without picking up a drink. I stay to continue to improve my mind, body and spirit.

Fact is AA not only saved my life, but paved the path to a life worth living, that has for a very large part been happy, joyous and best of all free from my obsession to drink and self.

Again, I might have missed something, and please understand, I can only offer my experience, strength and hope.

My best to all that are struggling with this disease.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience Carlos - the mix of testimonies is what makes this place so great.

And while I'm here, thanks to you too LDT - it was not my intention to misinterpret you, but it looks like I did. My apologies.

Onwards...

D
Old 09-19-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I've missed the whole thing?? I'm confused. No one in theJuly thread has ever suggested AA meetings are bad, at all. In fact I've encouraged 2 others here who are attending right now, I think it's wonderful.

If I've interpreted incorrectly, Wehave suggested it might be a good idea for Snooz to see her detox friend, and LDT began her original post (as I read it) stating she agreed with Wehav.

Opinions are not debates here. I like our July 13 class, and no one was intending for anyone to be upset or offended. To Dee's point, we all just share our own experiences here. Early sobriety is a fragile thing, let's respect that and give It the due respect it deserves rather than turn a misunderstanding into a debate on recovery methods. Please.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Dee, no misrepresentation at all.

I would never suggest that AA or any method is better than another.

Yes, what I offered is MY experience, strength and hope...no debate.

PRINCIPALS OVER PERSONALITIES - ALWAYS
Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Hi gang.
It's the weekend!
Uh oh,not another AA debate.
I've been around these boards long enough to see these "discussions" get out of hand.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Regardless if a misconception was made we all discovered a truth.
Before i went to AA with my friend the other night i told my wife i checked the website and meeting app. The meeting did not come up on either. It looked like the meeting was not scheduled or cancelled. She was concerned my friend and I would end up at a bar vs a meeting if that were the case. We had done alot of drinking damage together in the past.

The point is that i could see us saying well no meeting lets grab a drink just once. I see it as a possibility of two alcholics together each fueling each others urge. Realistically i wouldnt let it happen but its not out of the realm of a possibility.

So the situation is definately possible and probable. Alkies know how to find each other and there drug of choice.
I am really liking AA this go around and hearing a lot of positive things. I am going to keep attending meetings when possible.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I will just say that there's literally thousands of AA meeting sites all over the world. I'm sure that no two are alike. And even though they may strive to be all the same. It would simply be wishful think to suggest they are all alike.

For instance the AA meeting in the town next to mine is run by the guy that also owns the largest liquor store in the area. Does this matter?
I'm not sure. He has sobriety but is also supplying the masses with the poison that was killing him, and others.
That being said. My brother attends that meeting like clock work every week.
And has maintained his sobriety for nearly 20 years.
So, it works for him.
I chose a different route and it has worked for me.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bob I hope you know just how awesome you are bud

Hello Julyers getting a top up on suntan in this lovely weather
Old 09-19-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Having a pretty good Saturday so far. My daughter scored her first goal at soccer (only her 2nd time playing ) Then we had to take Abby to the Dr unexpectedly because she has this red bumpy rash all over her body. They didn't seem too concerned and just said to call if it doesn't go away by Monday.

Snooz and FABL - you are both doing so great! Let's all do this together Day 5 and feeling strong. Going to my mom's tonight for my bd dinner (bd isn't until next week). There won't be any temptation to drink there because my AV knows there is no way I could get away with hiding it and sneaking it. I'm so glad we aren't having it here. Funny how the mind works ....
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi Ladybug, hope Abby gets well soon. How old is your other daughter? Good for her at soccer.
Dreary day here. Doing chores. I'm going to an AA meeting this evening. No other plans for the weekend.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi Leshar, my older daughter is 5. Hope you enjoy your meeting -I'm looking forward to going to another one on Monday. Enjoy the rest of your weekend
Old 09-19-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Ladybug

Sounds good Leshar

Done 5+miles of walking today
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend

D
Old 09-19-2015, 03:53 PM