Notices

Class of July 2013 Part 22

Old 09-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You can't control the situation at this point--whether you get a ticket or not, it's done so try not to keep replaying it in your head over and over again. Of course, I know that's easier said than done.

Very cool you got to have lunch with someone from SR. If I ever win the lottery, I'd love to have a big ol' SR bash. Maybe two or three of them--one each for the US, the UK, and Australia. How was the lunch?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

It was great! We chatted for 2 hours and had a wonderful time.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Briefly jumping on here Snoozy...

I'm going to agree with wehav. She makes a very good point. Minding your own house , as Dee offered, is indeed good advice...... But sometimes we need 'housekeepers' to help us. Being around other alcoholics, whether active in their addiction, or solid in their recovery, would be ( IMHO ) enormously beneficial to you right now. As alcoholics, we can find all kinds of reasons not to seek the help we so desperately need. Maybe try to hit a meeting this week or weekend?

Hope you and all good people on this awesome thread are well.

My 2 cents... And I'm off.
Meetings are very different to one on one meetups tho LDT.

I've seen many folks, well meaning folks, go to help a still active, or semi active, alcoholic - and both get dragged under.

If you're in trouble call a lifeguard, not someone else just learning to swim?

D
Old 09-18-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're OK Gilmer

I enjoyed Keith's book Leshar tho of course it was very arrogant in parts lol
I hope you have a busy and happy weekend L - in fact I hope you all do

D
Old 09-18-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

You too, Dee.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight Julyers were watching 'Warrior King' that Tony Jaa guy can sure jump around
Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Meetings are very different to one on one meetups tho LDT.

I've seen many folks, well meaning folks, go to help a still active, or semi active, alcoholic - and both get dragged under.

If you're in trouble call a lifeguard, not someone else just learning to swim?

D
Great analogy Dee. Sometime 2 AVs are worse then 1.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I liked it too, Dee. I think there have been times in the past too in the first weeks of getting sober, that other people's slips or relapses here would knock me around a bit, get my AV chattering.

I would be ready to meet someone in real life now, but I know there's been times in the past, even talking to people on SR that I've thought, "oh they'd be fun to have a drink with." Just being honest - and that's just my personal experience. Thankfully those thoughts have long passed. Boy, is our AV a complex, tricky thing to manoeuvre, then understand, then fight!

I'm so glad that Spring is here, and it's the first Spring since 2013, that I can honestly, deep in my heart say I don't look at people out in the sunshine drinking in the same way anymore. There's no little pang of envy, or an unfulfilled wish....I never thought that would happen and it gives me joy in my heart, just even to experience that.

Gilmer! Thinking about drinking after the crash was just a thought, no need to feed it, it can't harm you unless you give it air time. Besides, you have new ways to deal with stress now, yes? I've had a few stressful things going on and it's interesting how our brain still has lingering pathways from stress triggers that send us the physical, "I might need a drink" message. I just get the physical tensing up, like the fingernails on a black board tense feeling, then realise that those feelings were daily when drinking. That wound up feeling on the way home that I felt could only be relieved by a drink.

I rarely get it now, but when I do, I calm myself, I don't think of actually drinking, but it's definitely the physical feeling I'd get before. Thankfully I recognise it now and know it's just stress and I need to accept what's going on and think of a way to deal with the problem at hand - that calm headspace to do problem solving is what is going to give me the relief.

Sorry, probably rambled on a bit there! It's Saturday morning, I'm avoiding some chores, lol.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t think you rambled at all Crois - +1 to everything you said - including avoiding the chores

D
Old 09-18-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Bob, I still have your allergies - you are more than welcome to take them back now!
And I was wondering where they were.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Gilmer, I used to drive on 495 every day, it's awful. Glad you are ok!

Had a pretty good day. For about an hour this afternoon I felt really moody and went up to rock Abby and just cried. No real reason except I think I just want to be rid of this obsession. Day 4's always seem to be hard mood wise - hoping this is my last one.

My daughter has soccer tomorrow morning and then we are going to my mom's for dinner. The best thing for me is to get out of the house on the weekends so looking forward to the busy day/night.

Hope you are all doing well.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Crois, that's so good that you have gotten to that point. And it gives me hope. It must feel like a weight has been lifted. I look forward to feeling like that one day!

Ladybug, so glad we are both here again. I'm on day eight and as you know, if you are the queen of relapse, so am I. But we can do this ladybug. Glad you went to an AA meeting. Takes courage. I think this is a great time for us. I know you probably feel like I do that I've joined too many classes, but Maybe join the September group? I have and there are a bunch of us in there who have been trying for years. Every extra support helps.

Day 8 and feeling strong
Old 09-18-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Oh, dear Gilmer, I'm so sorry to hear you had a car crash. I crashed my car in July, totally my own fault, but I identify with the discomfort and anxiety driving again. I've lost a lot of confidence. Hopefully, with time, we will regain this. Glad you weren't hurt.
Must read Keith's book, Dee.
Re reading "Drink- the intimate relationship between women and alcohol" by Ann Dowsett Johnston. I'd recommend it.
Hi to all the Julyers.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
LDT

With all due respect, and Just to be clear.... My suggestion was a meeting........ Not a meet up.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

You shared this once before, Dee, I really like it. You posted the link again for someone today, and reminded me about it.https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Leshar, thanks for for the book suggestion. Checking it out now.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I post it a lot - it's good value

D
Old 09-19-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hello lovelies

Gilmer I'm so sorry you had a crash. It's really unnerving and these things can really shake us , but I'm so glad you are ok

I'd like to thank Wehav & LDT for your comments & everyone else for their opinions also. It's good to be able to see different sides & I can understand both.

But at this point I think it would be very shaky for my sobriety if I were to meet her one on one or for an AA meeting. I'm just too fresh out of rehab & we both relapsed days after getting out.

When my Dad was a taxi driver , every Thursday evening he used to pick up a group of people from an AA meeting and they would go directly to the pub. This went on for years .

At this stage. It's just not worth the risk when I'm feeling I'm finally getting it together .

I just cannot do a day one again

But again , thank you all for your different perspectives , maybe down the track , I'll know when the time is right for me personally ;-) xxx

I'm going to read Keith's book too , I would imagine he'd have a pretty big ego .

Ladybug & Fabl , I always found day 4 hard also.
That's when my cravings were the strongest.

It's really got to be a mental thing too. We just have to make that decision when enough is enough . We are all different. My enough is NOW. I'm over it.

The 3 of us can get through this together.

Bob I'm glad the allergies are better and sorry he passed them onto you Crois lol.

Crois , you never ramble , I love it when you write a long post. It's a feast for my eyes xx

I'm going to finish off the last piece of lemon meringue now .( yes I got another ) better than buying a wine ...lol I'm the queen of justification!

Casey I'm happy seeing you in the word games , it's nice to see you and Wolfy in other threads too .

Letitgo , so glad you are still hanging with us , I love reading your posts.

Wolfy what movie are you and mrs SW watching next .

I'm gonna put the crime channel on and watch a few good murders .
Shaun always gets quite unnerved when he comes in and I'm watching yet another black widow story of women who murder their husbands.

lol have a good night kids , my cheesecake is calling me

Xx
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

Night Snooz - night everyone

D
Old 09-19-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Night, Dee!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 120 (permalink)