Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 2

Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedom1438 View Post
Day one for me again! I'm praying that I will be strong tonight when I usually turn to alcohol.
Try something different tonight, freedom
Old 09-19-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Freedom. I agree with TxAlchy in doing something different. I wouldn't just sit there, trying to 'white knuckle' it, hoping the craving goes away. Distract yourself. Movie, shopping, cleaning, exercising, etc. - Before you know it, the day will have passed. Take one day at a time. What helps me the most is reading posts on SR and trying to lend my limited support to others. If you feel a craving, post here before you drink. Someone will be around to help you through it. Day 1 is a good start. It won't be easy, but you can get to Day 2 and beyond.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Day 12

Hello everyone, today is day 12 for me, and it is really amazing to discover more everyday of what I have been missing by being a life long alcoholic. Did you notice that the sky is blue, and it is beautiful? Just kidding, but I am sure you know what I mean. I hope everyone can find a way today to do something different to take our minds off our demons. I know that the weekends can be difficult. Stay strong.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

MrSmith...
That's awesome! It came in waves for me when I was past the 1wk mark. It was really refreshing to have those moments of bliss. Gave me a peak of what lies ahead as long as I stuck with my plan.

It's interesting really. When times were tough, I only really experienced what was going through my mind or body. I was blind to the world around me.

It was almost euphoric for me when my battles (the alcohol shuffle..lol) in my own mind would take a break. What a huge relief when I wasn't feeling extreme anxiety, depression, or pity. The sky IS really blue and it's REALLY pretty!

I learned a lot during that process. I started to become skilled at switching my experiences from internal to external. There's times still when my world shrinks to just what's going on in my head. When I become mindful of it, I'm able to snap myself out now.

Here's a trick I learned that really helped me. I am a huge fan of NLP (Neuro Linguistics Programming). There's a technique called anchoring. This is where you can anchor an emotion to something so that later you can bring that emotion back when needed. It's neat and it works.

I would tug on my ear to form a physical anchor. When in a moment of bliss, close your eyes and really soak in the awesome feeling. Make it as strong as you can. Smile! Feel how it effects your body and your mind. When the feeling is at its peak, tug on your ear!

Open your eyes. Count backwards from 10 to distract your mind. Then close your eyes and repeat that process. Do that maybe 3 times. Twice may work, 3 times makes the anchor stronger.

Later on when you're feeling average or below average, tug on your ear! You will be surprised at how well that works.

NLP is very interesting. Cool stuff and worth reading up on. There's lots of YouTube vids on it too.

Another LIFE SAVING technique that helped my tremendously during my early quit is called the swish pattern. Works amazingly well. Here's a link. Check it out.

Excuse the dated video of Anthony Robbins. He does the best job explaining how it works.

http://youtu.be/jPu5cXaTZOw
Old 09-19-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hope everyone's good today. You're all such inspirations ^_^

Day 5 here and feeling antsy. No money and no job means there isn't much I can do tonight to distract myself. Fiance isn't home until later either and will be tired from work so he'll just wanna chill (which is totally fine; he works so hard. I want him to relax and get some rest) so I'm not sure what to do with myself.

I wish my writer's block would go away. I'm never happier than when I'm in a writing groove.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening guys hope everyone has had a nice day or is going to have one depending where you live
Old 09-19-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Hello All, I hope everyone is having a peaceful day. Today is day 21, I can't believe I have made to three weeks! I took my daughter to the zoo today, I never would have been able to do this while I was drinking; I drank from the time I woke up until I went to bed. It is really like a sense of freedom not having to worryi when I would get my next drink.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carebearlost View Post
Hello All, I hope everyone is having a peaceful day. Today is day 21, I can't believe I have made to three weeks! I took my daughter to the zoo today, I never would have been able to do this while I was drinking; I drank from the time I woke up until I went to bed. It is really like a sense of freedom not having to worryi when I would get my next drink.
Totally get that. I'm a really good dad sober. I pretty much suck drinking, half of which is because I'm afraid to drive anywhere. Big motivation for me.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back freedom
whats your plan?

It may take a little longer than 5 days but you'll write again scaredikklegoth.
Give your mind and body a chance to heal

D
Old 09-19-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

So here I am again on day 1, kinda late to join this group since the months almost over. I haven't been sober for a full 24hrs in months.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2Wheelterror View Post
So here I am again on day 1, kinda late to join this group since the months almost over. I haven't been sober for a full 24hrs in months.
Welcome 2WT. On day 2 myself. Stay close to this place. You'll find a lot of wisdom.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

So relieved that I made it through another sober day. I was feeling very antsy after work with cravings bubbling beneath the surface.
I've found that a huge factor that sets me off is if I don't eat at my usual time. In fact, after I eat, the craving generally dissipates.
Anyway, I ended up having a nice chilled out night watching a detective show and finished off by cleaning junk from my attic (my friend has put me onto Feng Shui).
Have a happy and peaceful Saturday and relish the thought of a Sunday without a hangover (I am)!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Well I didn't jolt awake at 1:30 this morning cause I didn't go to bed till 1:30 after watching football. Managed to sleep until 7 but had a disturbing drinking dream. I've had these before and they're never nice.

I had woken up just prior to the dream and the sun was shining brightly into the room. As I'm normally get up around dawn the sunshine made me temporarily think I'd come upstairs drunk and left the lights on. I even felt slightly hungover.

My dream was me and two other alcoholics. I asked for water and they tricked me with a pint of beer (something I seldom drink). I took 2 sips then refused it. They goaded me about being back to day 1 and I felt awful. Even now I feel awful. Drinking dreams are the worst.

Other than that I'm now on day 15. I have entered my third week and I'm, unbelievably, off to the gym on a Sunday. I can't remember the last time that happened.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome 2wheels
what's the plan?

D
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

I'm on the end of Day 5 here. Some hints of wine cravings today when I was out and about doing my things. I was triggered specifically be being near places where I drank at the bar before. You could say don't go near them, but it's not that easy. Anyway, the cravings didn't last long.

I'm experiencing a great deal of joy/euphoria tonight. It's really different and amazing. I haven't felt this way in a long time. And I've had lots of Day 5's before, but something is different this time. I'm working on so many things at once - the drinking. changing some patterns of behavior that I don't like, support from groups, etc. I have the music cranking and just finished my bills - one kid is home with me tonight. Life is very good
Old 09-19-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear Juno

D
Old 09-19-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Well Dee I'm going to an AA meeting in the morning so it's a start. I'm trying to find info on avrt and rr but no luck.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Do your best

So good to see you 2WheelTerror
Old 09-19-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Day 7 here, feeling great. It's like I'm a new me.

I'm different in ways my kids are noticing and I'm not!

Silly things like my 2 year old saying to me (as im just walking around tidying)..'.mummy, I can see your legs, and I can see your smiling face' I hadn't even realised I'd been smiling!

I feel like I'm accomplishing something with my life for the first time in a very long time.

And I've lost 2kg this week!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

S-a-t-u-r-d-a-y NIGHT! Remember that song? Ugh....aging myself.

Good day with the kid. She's so darn cute. I just listened to her debate club speech. She's awesome....so smart. I'm lucky. I'm pulling my ear right now....ok reference to another post.

No craving today...no alcohol shuffle...hehe. Great yoga practice.

Ran into my ex's daughter and two kids while shopping today. Made my heart sink. She's such a sweet lady and I got so attached to the kids. Little cuties. I love kids...ugh. Oh well, what can I do?

So it's hanging with the kid tonight. Maybe watch season 10 of supernatural.....we bought it. Ok not,the whole season tonight! Been watching that show since the pilot but it's really kinda dumb now. But Sam? Need I say more. Maybe Dwayne Johnson and Jared Padelecki need to be in a movie together

Tomorrow it's hiking in the morning. Then Girlscouts with the kid. Hope everyone is doing well.