Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 5

Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just a quick hello. Sorry I'm so absent lately but I'm doing a good job of keeping out of trouble. I still need you all, though.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 33 Today I am an alcoholic. Tomorrow will be no different. My alcoholism lives within me now and forever. I must never forget what I am. Alcohol will surely kill me if I fail to recognize and acknowledge my disease on a daily basis. I am not playing a game in which a loss is a temporary setback. I am dealing with my disease, for which there is no cure, only daily acceptance and vigilance. From the book Daily Reflections Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Seeing a lot of slips lately. This disease is so tough. I pray those of you who want it can finally get a plan in place and stick to it doing whatever it takes WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep you in the plan and not drink. It's the hardest thing we will ever do. Read this from the BB someone posted in another thread. It takes work everyday. You have to want sobriety and want it at all costs. There is beer in my fridge everyday. I don't drink it. My sobriety is important to me and nothing is going to interfere. I care about myself too much to screw up again.
Happy Friday! Make it another sober 24! Commit to it and do it!
((Hug)).
Old 09-25-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Stay M- ARGH,
Were all in it together. Keep posting !
Be sure and apologize to the missus too. I know I've drank and thought I had a grip on an issue or something I was talking about. For me, it turned out to be drunken BS, and I thought I had a good point.
- Key, your last post, brought up an idea, I'm really wrestling with. I am an alcoholic. I've owned up to it, over time. For some reason, though, I'm feeling like I should refuse to acknowledge "alcoholism" as "mine".
I don't know if this is something I read somewhere ( consumed a LOT of help literature), or what. I feel like I'm accepting something that will always have a personal spot in my life. I'm having a tough time explaining this...
I feel like that if I refuse to give alcoholism a presence in my thoughts, that it might be an active form of fighting it off, and choosing not to drink. I know for me, that counting days has been a constant personal defeat, but I've realized a very real issue.
Something drives my self medication by drinking. It may be that way for everyone, but I realized by reading and reading the posts on here, that smarter people than me state that underlying issues may have to be dealt with in order to completely abstain from drinking or drug abuse.
My point of this unclear post (grin), is thank you for constantly being real because you never know how your struggles may help another person.
By the way, I smelled a coworker , who's a bad drinker, the other day at work. Whew, there ain't NO hiding it, to a sober alcoholic ! I can snug the sauce across the room ! Lol
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Morning gang. Just checking in. I feel like this is gonna' be a great day for me. Slept almost 9 hours last night. My AV is leaving me alone. Glad to be here.

Nice day to everyone.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

JL I too am working every day on my recovery..let me just share with you some things I have come to know as truth as I am working and reading whatever I can and listening to people's advice here.
I knew I had a problem with alcohol and yes, of course it is my problem. Nobody else made me drink. Nobody could've even known me being an alcoholic was a problem we could possibly run into. It is my problem, but I am not alone in my problem. My problem has had an effect on every aspect of my life and has spilled over to everyone I have interacted with. AND I need help..I can’t do this alone.
I don't think I really owned my problem with alcohol until I realized I am powerless to alcohol and I had to really accept that I am powerless. I had to surrender to the idea of that whole sentence. When I finally got this concept, an awakening happened in my life and I began to open up to things never before had I been aware and I see things in a completely different way. I do hold myself accountable for everything I do. The way I act and react, the way I think, and applying it to my life, every day.
SR helps me and AA helps me and my HP help me. My family and friends help me. While it is my issue, it does require a lot of help. I am very open and honest with it because it holds me accountable. I have to want it. I have to work for it. I have to be open to everything it has to offer.
Long post, sorry..I hope any of this helps..I may have confused you more.
(Hug)! PS: I am going through the big book...combing through it. I am working every step (with help)...I googled on SR and found some work sheet type things that really help me. It brings me self awareness into my illness that I never have known on how to work at recovery and my attitude definitely has an affect on the outcome.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great sober weekend guys

D
Old 09-25-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Just catching up on posts..lots going on here!!! Stay sober this weekend everyone xo
Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Wishing everybody a nice sober weekend.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Really having hard time right now, got my feelings hurt badly by my only sibling..... hanging on minute by minute. I am thinking just a couple glasses wine will make me feel better.... but I know its always more than a couple glasses, unless I leave home and go to a bar, then I can have just one or two, and my AV is suggesting that Argh!!! Might take an emergency benzo... better than drinking, right?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Keep posting Sadie! ((Hug)) you'll feel worse if you drink. It just causes more negativity, you can go this. Work through those yet feelings.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Sadie alcohol does not anything better.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Posted right away with strong urge , I did take emergency benzo and eat some yogurt. And you are right alcohol wouldn't help.. I would probably get smashed and make one of my infamous phone calls when no one realises I am drunk , but I don't remember what I said and have to recreate conversation in my head. Not gonna drink over it. Just have to accept my sis has no time for anyone other than being on call 24/7 for her grown children. Not my nieces or nephews fault, they were raised to not do a thing for themselves.

Well, the good news is my benzo use has decreased dramatically with no alcohol.

MILI Argh.... How you be today?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Haven't heard from him since the relapse I don't think. Hope he's ok.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sadie why not just go for a walk or do some kind of exercise - get your mind off it and get those endorphins flowing...

that might be even better than a benzo?

D
Old 09-25-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Well add my name to the list of those that slipped. I accepted a glass of champagne and wine at a colleagues place last night. Gave into peer pressure (& honestly my own AV.). Dumb.
I stopped at that (I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about stopping at the bar on my way home though.). I also started smoking again, will quit that this weekend too. Ugh.
I'm home tonight and sober. Guess I'll start my day count over. I had gotten to 30 and I'll do it again.

Disappointed in myself. Glad you guys know what it's like. I know I have it in me, why I let myself falter is beyond me....
Old 09-25-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

I want to add that I am grateful tonight to be home safe and sober. Grateful I have another chance at staying sober every day!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey kittycat - I'm glad you got right back

I dunno - what else do you think you need to do to make your sobriety permanent?

D
Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Good question Dee. I need to stop thinking of my sobriety as a defect and see it as a positive. One way I can do that is letting others in on the fact that I don't drink - I've been keeping it to myself in some circles (work.). I don't think I'll ever start announcing I have an addiction, but no reason (other than my own pride and desire to keep drinking) why I can't say I've stopped drinking booze and I'll take an iced tea please. Last night I was just feeling weak, and I let myself down.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Kittycat, your sobriety is a godsend, not a defect , I promise !!!
Sadie , pls don't give up. Hel- , take 2 benzos if you need. Don't drink. If I was rich I'd fly to San Diego ( much as I don't care to) , just to hug you so you'd know we love you and not to do something to hurt yourself, from drinking.
I hear you. Siblings BLOW. I don't have but minimum contact with my own.
All my hugs tonight, sweetheart.
Please let the hurt go. Breathe it out and gone. I'm sorry it happened.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Honest inquiry: is benzo like Librium?

"if we don't change, we don't grow. if we don't grow, we aren't really living"~Gail Sheehy