Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 8

Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just another busy day "off" trying to get a week's worth of things done in 48 hours. Glad everyone is doing well.

None for me today, far too much to do!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Angie, that probably sucked big time. Everyone had great advise to share. I just wanted to add that exercise is equally as important as eating the right food. Just a little is all you need. When I started working out - months after I quit drinking, as my body was completely drained of energy due to the wine - I thought that one had to really do long, stressful exercise to see results. Was I wrong! I do a 30 minute work out daily, and it's starting to show. If I don't work out, I make sure to meet or beat my daily steps.

Yesterday, was a creative day for me! I started cleaning and dusting, and moving the odd picture around, then something sparked. I ended up re-arranging the art work in the family room and living room, and hall entrance, moving art from one room to another, and pulling out some other pieces that went into the basement storage ages ago. I ended up putting together some rather nice looking vignettes. It's was so fun to do, and I can't stop looking at the walls! lol

Tonight we are going to a "thing" with my parents. Not sure what, but it sounds classy, boring, and exciting all at the same time. I can't get a straight answer from my step-monster, but she said only convicts wear jeans, and to dress like a princess, as we are meeting (eye-roll) VIPs. Followed by dinner (I wonder who will end up paying? I assume the convicts, lol!) and then they are coming back here for the night. I love not drinking around them, it's fun! haha Since they love their wine, I can stuff it back at them that little old jean wearing me, doesn't drink! At least I can laugh at the craziness of it all now!

I just wanted to check in on this cold, windy rainy day, sober day!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Cauli, sounds like a great day. I love rearranging like that.

KC....
Thanks for swinging by like that. You're doing awesome. I find it very therapeutic following the various threads like that. I'm really excited for you because I know how good it feels

I've been soooo busy, it's insane. I read posts a lot, but haven't been able to post much at all.

I actually called off my part time job today so I could go out and try to make more sales for insurance. Ended up being a dud.

I'm back to looking for a real job that pays real money.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. Lots of great advice and support here!

Angie, that was an insensitive comment your coworker made, and I hope you have moved past it - you don't deserve that!

Key, I'm glad you stop in here You always have supportive and inspiring words for us, and I appreciate that.

SG, glad you are well

Cauliflower, let us know how the "VIP" dinner goes! I'm glad that you are now able to see the humor in your "stepmonster." You have made a lot of progress on that front and I am proud of you! And it must feel great to have done a little creative cleaning/rearranging. I love when I get that bug too

Inc, hang in there buddy! Your motivation to work so hard is inspiring. I know it will pay off!

Had another good day. Went to my favorite spin class tonight (which admitedly I haven't been to in two months due to my depressed mood) and had a great workout. The instructor plays awesome music. We got to the cool down song and she announced that her other job changed hours and she will no longer be teaching our class. I almost teared up! Not sure why I got so emotional, but it almost seemed like the end of an era. I had been going to her class since I moved almost a year ago and it was a place I felt grounded I suppose. I went up and thanked her afterward; good news is she will be subbing still so I'll have to keep looking for her on the class list.

Tomorrow is Friday already! Week flew by. I hope you all have a good one!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good luck Cauliflower with the dinner! Sounds like VIP will stand for Very Intoxicated Person. It's actually a little bit fun watching blowhards making fools of themselves when drinking.

Angie, some people are just clueless even without being drunk. Be thankful you are not one of them.

Inc, don't know if you are looking to get back into retail again, but my company is expanding nationally and constantly looking for good people. PM me for details if interested.

Today marks day 183 not drinking! I really had no idea when I attempted to quit drinking last April that I would be here today sober. I have undergone a mental transformation the past few months. I now think of myself as a non drinker. When I was early in my recovery , I kind of felt like a drinker who was abstaining for a bit. It's a subtle but profound change in attitude.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

I'm with you SG. And I'm proud to say it too. Feels good.

Just a wuixkie. On a break. Gotta go back.

Have a great day!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

183 days is amazing!! Congrats Star!
And I want to say thanks to all of you for all your posts! it helps me tremendously to read up on you guys..even the little things are wonderful!
Hope everyone has a nice Friday and great sober weekend! (Hug)!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Good luck Cauliflower with the dinner! Sounds like VIP will stand for Very Intoxicated Person. It's actually a little bit fun watching blowhards making fools of themselves when drinking.

Angie, some people are just clueless even without being drunk. Be thankful you are not one of them.

Inc, don't know if you are looking to get back into retail again, but my company is expanding nationally and constantly looking for good people. PM me for details if interested.

Today marks day 183 not drinking! I really had no idea when I attempted to quit drinking last April that I would be here today sober. I have undergone a mental transformation the past few months. I now think of myself as a non drinker. When I was early in my recovery , I kind of felt like a drinker who was abstaining for a bit. It's a subtle but profound change in attitude.

Have a great day everybody!
Congratulations on that monumental shift SG!!

Best wishes
OMD
Old 10-16-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 183 days, SG!! Keep up the good work

This morning I was looking through pictures that my aunt had posted of my visit last week, and there were two with my aunt and uncle that I didn't remember. I knew we took pictures the last night I was there, but I didn't remember ones of each of us separately. Then it hit me: the pictures were taken when I was blacked out the first night there. There is a reason you're not supposed to drink while on meds, bc alcohol has a different affect on you, and I got really drunk really fast. I knew I had blacked out at the end of the night bc I didn't remember going to bed, but I was mortified to see pictures of myself blacked out early in the night. I'm very ashamed of my behavior from that trip - it was like the last six months and all the sobriety growth never happened.

Just wanted to share that here. And it's a lesson learned that you can have sober time under your belt, but have that first drink and it's all for nought.

On the bright side, I am not drinking today! And I am happy with that decision I hope you all are enjoying the start of the weekend!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Swim,
Thank you for sharing that with us ((hugs)).
That's very thoughtful and caring. It's posts like that which make us committed to our cause. We made the decision to better ourselves and do what ever it takes to break free from addiction.

I sooooo glad you stayed here with us. We're a tight unit and as people drop, we will become weaker. And people will drop. Maybe due to relapse, maybe because they feel they don't need the support any more and lost interest in SR. I'm just sayin'.

It's evident by following April 2014 and 2013. It's also evident that some of those who drop off end up back on their knees begging God to be released from this horrible addiction.

I guess my point is....
I'm really happy for you. You are here. Which is more than what could be said for many of our earlier beacons.

And I'm happy for you that you experienced what you did out east and I'm happy you are mentally processing it the way you are.

The bottom line is this.....
Alcohol died NOT bring happiness. It does NOT cure depression. We NEVER wake up the next day and feel good after drinking the day before. We never have either. Or at least I never did.

I it becomes an infinite loop. We felt down or we felt a need to feel "high", so we drank. And for a FEW hours we probably achieved that. Then we wake up and we feel down and at some point in the day, we have the need to feel "high" again.

So a major part of sobriety is truly believing that.

Another MAJOR aspect of sobriety is believing we can be happy sober. That is harder. But just like we learn the hard way that drinking is NOT a solution, but a problem, we DO learn from experience that we can be happy without alcohol.

It takes trial and error. It takes time and it takes effort. If we put forth the effort, we will meet our full potential.

That's just my take. Not everyone is in the same boat. And I tend to think most people experience the things I do. Or will experience what I experienced if they don't stop. Or will experience what I am experiencing if they do.

Am I thrilled with life right now? Lol. No.
I am not any where near my full potential. But I absolutely believe that I am at a much better place today right now being sober than if I was drinking. I am way further ahead.

Ok....I don't know how to wrap up. Some of the post was intended for you Swim, and some just general comment. Long post. And I gotta go. Long day of working 15hrs again.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Day 25. Depressed. There's never money. Tired of scrambling and worrying. Haven't lost one pound since my son was born almost 6 months ago. I gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy, and lost 15 at delivery, and that's it. I don't eat perfectly or work out nearly as much as I used to before baby. I can't. No time or energy. However, I do eat healthy often and work out when I can. I'm on my feet all day at work. Still, nothing lost. Besides hope.

I have hardly anything to wear and no winter jacket that fits besides a huge maternity one. I hate mirrors and pictures of me.

Thanks for listening.
I turn 37 on Monday.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jemma

I had all those worries too (except the pregnancy part). There's nothing for it but to chip away at each obstacle - it takes a while, but you will get there - and hey it's better than drinking

Happy Birthday for Monday - hope it's your best year yet

D
Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post

...it was like the last six months and all the sobriety growth never happened.

Just wanted to share that here. And it's a lesson learned that you can have sober time under your belt, but have that first drink and it's all for nought.
I am so sorry you have struggled recently Kim and really appreciate how you have been so honest with all of us. Not a single one of us here is more than one drink away from going down that rabbit hole once again. It is so easy to lose sight of just how damn difficult it is to overcome this addiction. Just read the Sept and Oct 2015 threads, or even go back to April and reread what all you folks were going through and writing about back then. Kim, you are helping to keep things real for all of us here. I hope you can bottle that lightning that allowed you to go many months sober earlier this year once again. We are all your biggest fans and are all pulling for ya!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Swim,
Thank you for sharing that with us ((hugs)).
That's very thoughtful and caring. It's posts like that which make us committed to our cause. We made the decision to better ourselves and do what ever it takes to break free from addiction.

I sooooo glad you stayed here with us. We're a tight unit and as people drop, we will become weaker. And people will drop. Maybe due to relapse, maybe because they feel they don't need the support any more and lost interest in SR. I'm just sayin'.

It's evident by following April 2014 and 2013. It's also evident that some of those who drop off end up back on their knees begging God to be released from this horrible addiction.

I guess my point is....
I'm really happy for you. You are here. Which is more than what could be said for many of our earlier beacons.

And I'm happy for you that you experienced what you did out east and I'm happy you are mentally processing it the way you are.

The bottom line is this.....
Alcohol died NOT bring happiness. It does NOT cure depression. We NEVER wake up the next day and feel good after drinking the day before. We never have either. Or at least I never did.

I it becomes an infinite loop. We felt down or we felt a need to feel "high", so we drank. And for a FEW hours we probably achieved that. Then we wake up and we feel down and at some point in the day, we have the need to feel "high" again.

So a major part of sobriety is truly believing that.

Another MAJOR aspect of sobriety is believing we can be happy sober. That is harder. But just like we learn the hard way that drinking is NOT a solution, but a problem, we DO learn from experience that we can be happy without alcohol.

It takes trial and error. It takes time and it takes effort. If we put forth the effort, we will meet our full potential.

That's just my take. Not everyone is in the same boat. And I tend to think most people experience the things I do. Or will experience what I experienced if they don't stop. Or will experience what I am experiencing if they do.

Am I thrilled with life right now? Lol. No.
I am not any where near my full potential. But I absolutely believe that I am at a much better place today right now being sober than if I was drinking. I am way further ahead.

Ok....I don't know how to wrap up. Some of the post was intended for you Swim, and some just general comment. Long post. And I gotta go. Long day of working 15hrs again.
This post is brilliant, Inc! Definitely a post that I will come back to many times again over the upcoming months.

Thank you!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Inc & SG, your words mean so much to me! It feels good to share things with you because I know you understand how I feel. All of you inspire me as you are hitting your 6-month sober marks. Keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I used to play with my band in a bar in the old town here every few months. After the show we'd often hang around drinking with the girl who owned the place and pick up our gear the next day. She had serious addiction issues, worse than me because she would really go for it with the coke too...

Anyway, yesterday she threw herself off the balcony at her mother's house. She leaves two kids about the same age as mine.

I keep thinking that could have been me if I hadn't got a handle on this. Too close to home.

I didn't post yesterday but have enjoyed catching up this morning. Some really interesting stuff, one of Inc's posts especially. Intrigued to find out more about Cauliflower's VIP evening...
Old 10-17-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Wow Amp. That really hits a chord with me too (no pun intended). I was having suicidal thoughts with alcohol alone for a bit there. Really minor ones. I've read that coke has the most effect on depression due get withdrawals or hangover. There's no doubt in my mind I would "pull the trigger" if I was messing with coke.

Good day planned today. Going to Cedar Point Amusement Park! It's the roller coaster capital of the world. My favorite ride is Top Thrill Dragster.

It goes 120mph in 3.8 seconds. Then climbs 420' (2nd tallest ride in the world). The whole thing lasts 30 seconds. Good thing because it's absolutely terrifying!!!!

The first time I did it, I had the biggest adrenaline rush I ever had in my life. I thought...in all seriousness...I was having a heart attack when It was done. My heart was pounding out of my chest.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That's scary Amp! Glad you were able to jump off of that train before it crashed.

Have fun Inc! My sister in law and nephew made a vacation of traveling there and spending days riding the coasters.

Six calendar months sober today. Hard to believe I am finding out that I can live life without holding a drink in my hand all day and night.

Have a great day everybody !
Old 10-17-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful Saturday guys..so nice to see support and caring for each other
Old 10-17-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi guys,
Yes, Kim is definitely keeping it real for everyone and who can't admire the commitment? It's easy to be positive when things are going well, it's when things are not going so well that you see your true character. Kim, everyone is very proud of you for keeping on.

Inc has it spot on as usual. I am starting to think of myself a a non drinker and other things good are happening in my life too, but I cannot and will not be complacent about where I have come from.

Amp your post hit a real nerve. Something happened years ago and I should have stopped then but I didn't. I had forgotten all about it but I definitely needed the reminder. I am so glad just to be here. None for me today. F/;k that.

Take care everyone

OMD