Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 48

Old 09-06-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey undies! Everyone sounds good! I was exhausted for a few days but now I'm much better. Getting more sleep and trying to not work all the time or worry about work. No AV for a while now and I'm so relieved.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good to hear that, PHRD!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Angd - Teacher of the month is a great honor! Good for you!

Saskia - I second what you said about life getting calmer and easier to handle with time in recovery.

PHRD - Work can be a replacement addiction for sure. Glad to hear you're easing into a life free of obsession for alcohol - and work.

BoozeFree - How are you doing today??

Some days are up, others are down. Learning to lean into the down days, without altering my perception about it, has led to incredible personal freedom. Sobriety isn't always the easiest path, but days like today I know it has been worth the work, for sure!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

9 months sober. Getting closer to a year.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
9 months sober. Getting closer to a year.
GnikNus, congrats on 9 months!
That's a wonderful milestone. Is it getting easier?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all! Had a good weekend with the family, just enjoying sober life! Took a 30km bike ride yesterday along the coast. It's so beautiful around here!

Congrats on 9months GnikNus! How do you feel? That's a great achievement!

I was checking with my calendar when I got up and saw that I'm up to 20 weeks today. That's 140 days! I've kind of stopped counting obsessively but I do like to keep track of where I am. It's been an important part of my early sobriety and I don't think I'll ever stop counting all together as long as I stay sober

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Amp, the proof is in the pudding, as the old saying goes. Reading your posts over time I see huge growth and get the sense that you becoming comfortable in your sober skin. I'm so happy for you!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Gongratulations, GnikNus and Amp!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Amp, the proof is in the pudding, as the old saying goes. Reading your posts over time I see huge growth and get the sense that you becoming comfortable in your sober skin. I'm so happy for you!
Thank you Saskia. I do feel that I am really getting somewhere with this. A lot of people say that getting off the drink is less to do with simple abstinence and much more about how you live your life in general terms. I would certainly echo that. It's so important to take time to enjoy the simple things
Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Amp I agree, merely stopping drinking is not enough. But stopping drinking enables us to view our lives as they are and to grow. Of course, some people find that shining a sober light on their lives is too harsh and they prefer to revert to the darkness of alcoholic oblivion. It takes strength of character to accept ourselves in a sober light and to use our sobriety as an opportunity to give ourselves a future we deserve. By working on our character, on our expectations of ourselves and others, on our spiritual growth, we can make some reparation for our pasts and allow ourselves that future.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Very insightful post, Toots!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Great post Toots. I agree that life becomes more clear in sobriety. As I gain more and more sober time -- and at 18 months I'm still a newbie -- there's light shining on places I never even suspected were dark.

Amp - I agree with Saskia. These days I see an ease in the from the tension in your early posts.

Gnik - Congratulations on 3/4 of a year sober. That's a wonderful accomplishment.

Milestones are important to me because they show me how far I've come, but like Amp and Toots indicated, simple abstinence wasn't enough -- for me. There is a saying that the same person will drink again. I had to change how I was living my life. Gratitude and acceptance replace living in a constant state of advancement and achievement. Realistic expectations replace grandiosity. Vulnerability replaces thinking I know it all. Humility replaces self will. Patience replaces immediate gratification. Now when I'm struggling, I have principles to guide me, rather than booze to smother it. As a result life is so much richer - and easier - and worth living.

If you're struggling like I did, I encourage you to take a long look at how you're living to figure out what's messing with your serenity.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Gnik congrats on 9 months!
Amp congrats on 20 weeks.

Yesterday I slept most of the day since I was out with my friend till about 6 AM. It was nice to have a relaxing day and do nothing. It's been awhile since I've done that.
Today I have some laundry and grocery shopping to get done. Probably hang out with a friend later and either today or tomorrow go to a meeting.

Hope everyone has a nice day
Old 09-07-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hey Undies,

Some very enjoyable and insightful postings here today. I love reading the various perspectives on recovery.

So here I am at 27 months sober. I've failed in the past after 11.5 years, 13 and 16 months. What is different? Is it AA in my life? Is it courage to face myself in sober light?

I know why I decided to dry out. Severe consequences had me in a fetal position just hoping and praying I would die. No, check that. I have suffered many serious consequences...and they never provided the imputes alone.

For sure I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. But, more specifically...I wanted to at least slow down the noises between my ears. I can sum that up in one word...willingness. I somehow, someway became willing to go to any measure to become sober.

That willingness came from a moment of clarity. That clarity opened a door. I shed my ego and became teachable. If I go back out, will I ever have another moment of clarity?

So, to finally answer my question. I am different because of my willingness to remain teachable-every day. For me, the practices and principals of AA offer the perfect teachable framework. Again, first words of first reading..."Rarely have we seen a person fail that has thoroughly followed our path.

That's my path. Yesterday I was talking with a good friend and former frequent contributor to this thread. Our paths may be slightly different (beating to different drums ), but we agree on many aspects of recovery as well. First and foremost though, we agree that if you are to grow and find true happiness in recovery, you should follow a program...and remain teachable. As Glee said and I have proven time after time - the same person will drink again.

Off to hit that little white ball as few times as possible. Enjoy your day.

Carlos
Old 09-07-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

My two biggest motivators?

First, I was really sick and tired of hiding my drinking. I would try not to answer the phone after I'd had a glass because I knew I was slurring my words. Very embarrassing!

Second, I was first-hand seeing the nasty effects of excessive alcohol consumption. Lucky for me that my body was mostly able to heal this time but we humans have a tendency to ignore problems until it is too late (Dee posted a great story in Newcomers' about frogs and boiling water. Very apropos!).

Third and most important, I was going through life in a fog, isolating and angry. I didn't realize until I'd been sober for awhile just how much I had been missing.

Now I can manage frustration so much better, I'm enjoying socializing, I'm healthier and I'm not afraid to answer the phone. Huge changes!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Wow! Long day at work but productive and rewarding!

I have enjoyed reading today's posts. Very enlightening and inspiring. Thanks to all for the kind words. I think it's true. The same person will drink again, so let's be someone else. The best possible version of that person! I continue to be a very teachable work in progress!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
GnikNus, congrats on 9 months! That's a wonderful milestone. Is it getting easier?
It gets easier, for sure. Sobriety' just a part of life at this point. Fog's lifted, eyes are open and life is being lived fully.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 78 here and all well, looking forward to busting through 3 months and beyond! Interesting article in the local paper here today about how even moderate alcohol use can negatively affect perception and memory and other functions in older individuals, i.e. 60+. Being in that category I can testify to that. In fact my decision to stop drinking altogether was largely precipitated by a specific health issue: erosive esophagitis (likely) brought on and aggravated by heavy drinking.

Do I want to run the risk of chronic disease or wilfully elevate the risk of esophageal cancer? Of course not. I call this major motivation - when you can either drive yourself over the cliff or not, what are you going to do? Easy answer.

Leaving in a week's time for a long trip, many days of which will be spent on my own in strange places, with long flights and lots of leisure time in-between. Usually the perfect setting for indulging in alcoholic beverages of one kind or another. Just not this time! Looking forward to maximizing my time on this journey, being fresh all the time and experiencing everything to the fullest, as opposed to having the nights slide into boozy haziness, and the mornings becoming a struggle to recover and re-focus.

Last edited by JoeinHouston; 09-07-2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Correct grammar
Old 09-07-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Joe, sounds like you are chugging along :-). 78 days is big progress!

I'm also in the over 60 category and have had several health issues that were either caused by alcohol or were made worse with it. As I'm adjusting to retirement and the realization that we truly are not immortal (!), I'm very motivated to stay sober and take care of myself. Regrets don't do much good but I do think about it occasionally.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Good to hear you are doing so well Joe. I'm a little under 60, but had exactly the same thoughts about stopping drinking before it caused real health issues. I knew that if I carried on consuming tha quantities I had for the years I had, something would give out. Our bodies are just not designed to cope with that kind of constant abuse. My worst fears were getting something obviously alcohol related likes cirrhosis or of getting early onset dementia through alcohol. As you say it is a prime motivator. Now that I don't drink I have been motivated to take even better care of myself, losing a lot of excess weight and increasing my fitness. It's not vanity, it's looking after the outer casing that is going to have to see me through (hopefully quite a few more years!)