Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those links are a really good start NT...lemme know what you think

D
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

"You don't tell the Beast to shut up. You don't have to enter into a dialogue with it. It has no power to raise a glass to your lips. You have merely to ignore it. It doesn't matter whether it withers away, or grows louder. All that matters is that you ignore it." (From Riel on 10-06-13)

I found this gem in an old Secular thread today. It's my new rock.

to Riel wherever you are
Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Morning august abeles (love the name),
Lots to catch up on.
Welcome creative spirit......this is a great forum and we are a supportive group. Stick with us!
Bexxed and benice.....hope you are both feeling better. The feelings are so hard to deal with.

I am always dealing with eating tons and gaining weight when I stop drinking. Your body is craving the carbs and sugars so you become ravenous!!! I try to eat heLthy but that's tough too. I was told when I first got sober 10years ago, "don't worry about the weight right now. You can't get pulled over for being fat...only drunk!". I remembered that. It still sux that my clothes are tight. Especially since I just went back to work.
JL...hang in there. We are all here for you.
Shutouts to everyone else who is posting and celebrating another day...we can do this!!!!

Hugs xo
Old 09-03-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jshep View Post
"You don't tell the Beast to shut up. You don't have to enter into a dialogue with it. It has no power to raise a glass to your lips. You have merely to ignore it. It doesn't matter whether it withers away, or grows louder. All that matters is that you ignore it." (From Riel on 10-06-13)

I found this gem in an old Secular thread today. It's my new rock.

to Riel wherever you are

JSHep, don't know if that's a direct quote from Rational Recovery, but it might be. Check that out if you haven't, RR website, then do the AVRT crash course on there. I go back time and time again to reread the crash course( which are flash cards really, don't let the course word scare you).

Morning of day 10 I think? Tossed and turned last night due to my volunteer kitty rescue gig you hate and love people if in animal rescue, certainly has made me more cynical about humans) 430 am again. I think Troy and I are king and queen of insomnia in our last two classes? Can't WAIT to sleep in some day. Or maybe I am old and this is new normal like my granny. She said you get older, wake up earlier, phooey! Yesterday I did a Yin Yoga class, it was awesome. Who are these people going to yoga in middle of day? Don't people work? Lol This is yoga capital of the U.S. I think. If you see someone in jeans vs yoga pants (hi YogaPants) it's an aberration. I stopped going to yoga classes after car accident 3 years ago, could have started possibly 2 years ago again but was too deep in addiction to consider it. Going to another today, it's the same amount of $ I spent on wine. Off to beach now, want to see sunrise to calm me . Worried about return to work next week, trying not to think about it now while I am building up each sober day, but have to figure how to manage. <scared>

Augustables
Old 09-03-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Those links are a really good start NT...lemme know what you think

D
Thank you Vanaprastha and Dee. I will check out those links.

I don't know why, but I guess I should have shared my concern after my first two crashes in 2011 and 2012.

Again, thank you!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Vanaprastha

Is that your real name?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Yeah, I always like throw a positive twist into the class month name.

Thanks.......I too like Augustables because it has the work stable and able in it.

Well, day (9) here. We're heading to New Orleans for a long weekend over labor day. We're leaving tomorrow afternoon. It was kind of a whim and then we realized it's the 10 year anniversary of the horrific Katrina.

Looking forward to enjoying time away with a clear head and in good physical condition.

Stay Strong Augustables.....
Old 09-03-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Sadie, congrats on day 10. Yesterday you had a cute kitty with different eye colors...very cute! Was it yours or one you are sitting?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benice View Post
Sadie, congrats on day 10. Yesterday you had a cute kitty with different eye colors...very cute! Was it yours or one you are sitting?
That is my own spoiled prince! He is 11 years old, still acts like a petulant toddler. We have a dysfunctional home here, my husband is on 24/7 notice to do whatever the cats want, eat, play, sleep in chair all night so a cat on lap doesnt have to move. I say good thing we couldnt have kids cause he would have been good cop, me bad cop and that doesn't work. At least our completely entitled narcissistic cats cant inflict their stuff on the world. My odd eye one you saw would out selfie a kardashian if he could. I mentioned earlier animal rescue has made me cynical and untrusting of humans, I have seen awful abuse of innocents, but was thinking during my walk that this site has helped to change that. Lots of people reaching out to help each other with kindness and empathy.

Thank you all.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

I see to have a problem posting. I keep losing them when I submit so I'm keeping this short just in case.

I'm doing fine. On day 34. No temptation yet. Still haven't started running. Weather is so bad but suppose I should make myself get out anyway.
I read blackout. Could definitely relate to parts of her story. What really hit me was her need to please someone else disregarding her needs. Wow. That is incredibly similar to myself. I like how she describes her journey too. Nothing easy about it.
Feeling pretty strong right now.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hey willow I read Blackout too, very relatable! Great read.

Day 10! Woo! Feeling some anxiety about some frankly inconsequential stuff. Need to recognize I can't control others, I can only control myself. Deep breath, breathe in and out. a few passing moments where I think, wow a beer would be good or damn I need a cigarette, but it passes....

Keep fighting y'all!!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 10's.
I hate getting on here and saying 'bad day at work or how crappy I'm really feeling'. I apologize for griping so much. Just tired of feeling bad. Although drinking is probably most of it, I can't make any intelligent decisions lately, and I'm just mad with myself I guess.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

That's what we are all doing JL2014! Vent away. There's nothing I crave more after a crappy day at work than...well you know what:/ it's been 17 days since I've drank and 10 of them have been crappy days at work.... And glum.... Go out and about and enjoy nature if you can.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Don't worry JL. We all go through rough phases in life (I know I've been though my share), and it's nice to be able to get those feelings out. Besides, that's what we're here for.

Everything is fine here. Nothing new, just been working. Bit under the gun now. heh, bloody job. Clients will nonchalantly in the span of about 5 minutes give you about 60 hours of new work. Not that I'm complaining per-se, because I could be out of work or struggling at a cheap rate, but yeah...

Finally got my one dog's separation anxiety problem at night handled. Just simply lock him into my office, that way he can't see me leave.

During the day when the outside doors are open, he'll just stand at the back of the yard and howl for about 15 seconds, then realize nobody is listening, and that's the end of it. Go to the store while they're in for the night though, then he starts howling like crazy inside, my other guy then joins in, and since both are howling they don't stop until I return home. However, put them in the office, and they both stay quiet the entire time.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

HI all - working on day 27 here. And don't sweat it JL. I've been feeling the pretty crummy myself -- which is maybe why I haven't posted on here much lately. I feel like I've just had the "blahs" for the past week. I get up, go through the motions, go to bed early, am pretty grumpy, etc. I need to start working some on my happiness and try to pull myself out of it but it can be so hard sometimes -- I don't want to be jerk Dad.

I have a pretty anxious mind and sometimes have a hard time settling things down. I think part of my problem is finding new ways to deal with that since I am not sedating myself every evening to take my mind of work, stress, etc.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everyone. Congrats to everyone who is staying sober. To anyone who has fallen, please get back up, rework your plan and move forward.

Today is day 19 without booze or cigarettes. I'm feeling good, but I'm a little tired. I'm hoping a few more weeks of sobriety will alleviate the fatigue because I really don't like lacking the energy needed to pursue new sober projects. After a while it becomes a little disheartening. But I will push through it; I like a challenge, and I'm not one to give up easily.

Have a safe and sober weekend everyone, and a safe and sober Labor Day holiday to everyone in the US.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Hi all
Just a quickie post to check in. 15 days today, I reckon I've saved at least £100 so I went out and bought a new hand bag
Feeling great physically and emotionally, it's becoming increasingly evident just how much joy in life I had lost towards the end of my drinking. Every new sober day I get a little bit of my old self back.
Had a few cravings yesterday, started thinking about a nice glass of wine and a take out fri. Played the tape through. Hope you're all ok, I'll be sticking close this weekend
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Way to go Brighterlife!! I treated myself at day 15 too, because of all the money I saved!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Well done brighterlife.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I think I'm gonna spend the 11$ a day I'd normally drink through at least 2 days of a weekend, on something good.
Not as crapped out today as prior.
My 58 yr old brother went to ER. He's retired, good $ coming in, but 40 plus yrs old drugs and more recently a handful of benzos and a fifth of something, he's circling the drain. It's bad but I come from a family of nuts and learned the hard way that you just gotta love from a distance. My inlaws and kids/wife are it for me. After multiple suicide attempts my mother is in a local nursing home, where she can be taken care of.
Actually none of this is a downer. I had super blessings in my life, but there's no one to emulate or ask advice from. It's all mess up and hopefully learn from.
Hey ! Clock out time !!