I love ginger beer!!! Mmmmm....
Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your graduation guys
Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to the Daily Support forum, August 2015ers! Happy graduation! It's been a pleasure to watch you grow over this last month. Thanks for letting me chime in every now and then as well. Each and every one of you has helped to keep me sober all of August. Day 116 is drawing to a close for me. Thank you all and congratulations again!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone!

Today was a good day because I had almost no pancreas pain, which is wonderful. No nasty pain killers to fog my brain. But... being Monday, I worked all day and came home to my typical after-work cravings. Luckily I had the librium that my doctor prescribed for just this reason and I was able to fend off the cravings easily using that. No alcohol, no pancreas or liver damage and I've made it through day 5. In two days it will be a week since my pancreatitis attack and a week since my last drink. I could not be happier about it all. Thank God I got a wake up call before I killed myself.

Sleep well, everyone. Let's kick September's butt!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hey, look, we did it!

Coliope, Yogapants, kitty cat, Troy, JL, everyone moving forward! And Retread, it's so good to hear that you had less pain. Your ordeal is something I'm learning from. Hugs and healing to you! And Casey, thanks for coming over and supporting us - you rock!

I had a really great day at work today, and when I got home, I was sad that I couldn't drink. This hasn't happened much, and in awhile (as in, a couple weeks maybe?) I ended up doing something not that awesome, which was eat chocolate chips and pecans (I have nothing in my house right now as far as snacks go so had to be creative). I have to say it was delicious but I know it was very much not good for me and calorically probably greater than a six pack. Anyway, I read here, and that also helped. And, I've never heard of a (huge) handful of pecans and another of chocolate chips giving someone a hangover or ruining important parts of their life, so I guess I should chill.

It's kind of a weird mourning. I've mentioned here before that I recently was told I can't have gluten, not a bit of it, ever again because of celiac disease. No cheating. The consequences are really, really awful, and not even close to worth any bit of food I love, for real, and being totally gluten free for three months now (with a couple accidents in restaurants that didn't get it) they are just subsiding. But I've joked that I want to have a "funeral for grilled cheese sandwiches". It's not that much of a joke, but don't tell anyone in my real life. Today I felt that way about wine. The results are awful. I can't drink it, and it's not worth it. But I'm mourning it a little bit. Writing it down, it seems a little messed up. But it's honest, and I want to be honest.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 23 here. Can't believe its the end of August already. Feels like the longest month of my life. Now on to the next month! Good job everyone.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post

It's kind of a weird mourning. I've mentioned here before that I recently was told I can't have gluten, not a bit of it, ever again because of celiac disease. No cheating. The consequences are really, really awful, and not even close to worth any bit of food I love, for real, and being totally gluten free for three months now (with a couple accidents in restaurants that didn't get it) they are just subsiding. But I've joked that I want to have a "funeral for grilled cheese sandwiches". It's not that much of a joke, but don't tell anyone in my real life. Today I felt that way about wine. The results are awful. I can't drink it, and it's not worth it. But I'm mourning it a little bit. Writing it down, it seems a little messed up. But it's honest, and I want to be honest.
It is a kind of mourning. For me it seems like mourning for a way of life that I can never go back to. There is a remembrance of the times before things got so out of hand, when I could just drink now and then socially and enjoy that. Problem is, that's not be anymore. I am mourning because I know I can never go back to the way things were.

I know we will all get through and past this and find ourselves rejoicing in the freedom we're giving ourselves. It will just take time.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Morning all
It's raining. Again. I think we are celebrating the wettest August on record in the u.k. I get the mourning part too. I do think 'not fair' 'why me?' Alcohol is everywhere. Every ad break, I watch the soaps and they are always in the local pub. It gets my mind going. They drink in the pub every day, I don't do that. They drink at lunchtime, I don't do that. Hmmmm maybe I'm not that bad after all? Then you all know where that train of thought leads us. I am mourning the old drinking me. Not the drinking me that I became. I can never go back, I spent 2 years trying and it only got worse. 2 years to finally get my AA step one.
Well that was all a bit depressing, good to let it out though. Welcome to September!!!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Morning all,
Welcome to September!! We made it!
Thanks for the graduation send off, Dee...awesome.
I haven't posted for a couple of days but read all of your posts. Much to catch up on. I hope we are all moving into September together. This a a terrific group.

JL I'm glad you are back. We are here for you. I have been down that road many times of realizing how I have hurt my family. Sobriety is worth it..

Not much to share. I am a teacher and back to work today. I'm usually miserable but not my favorite summer this year. I know it will be better for me to have my mind and time occupied.

I'm thinking of you all and wishing you a sober Tuesday..glad we made it this far!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

CONGRATS, GRADS!!!! I unsubscribe from my CAP n' Cork newsletter!! I guess I should take the dangle off my key-chain too! Find your sober way to celebrate
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Congrats for making it through August classmates. I'm looking forward to a sober September even though in the past 3 to 4 weeks has been a critical time for me. Lotsa' failures at week 3 or 4.

My AV hasn't acted up since my day 1. But I know I can't get complacent. I must be ever vigilant. I can never drink again!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post
It is a kind of mourning. For me it seems like mourning for a way of life that I can never go back to. There is a remembrance of the times before things got so out of hand, when I could just drink now and then socially and enjoy that. Problem is, that's not be anymore. I am mourning because I know I can never go back to the way things were.

I know we will all get through and past this and find ourselves rejoicing in the freedom we're giving ourselves. It will just take time.
That's right on. Really resonating w me today.
Day 2 . 24 hrs for me. Sticking with it here..
Went to cubs out meeting with one of my sons.
My wife told me she noticed I always rushed home on my days off to drink. Wake up --wake up !!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
Morning all,
Welcome to September!! We made it!
Thanks for the graduation send off, Dee...awesome.
I haven't posted for a couple of days but read all of your posts. Much to catch up on. I hope we are all moving into September together. This a a terrific group.

JL I'm glad you are back. We are here for you. I have been down that road many times of realizing how I have hurt my family. Sobriety is worth it..

Not much to share. I am a teacher and back to work today. I'm usually miserable but not my favorite summer this year. I know it will be better for me to have my mind and time occupied.

I'm thinking of you all and wishing you a sober Tuesday..glad we made it this far!!!
Thank you Lhoops
Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Yaay for September! Glad to leave August behind and be here . Great class, glad we are staying together. day 8 here, going strong so far. Past the nemesis day of 5!!!!! BBG, like you I do believe if I had another detox I would need to be hospitalised, first time I should have for physical withdrawal, last week it would have been psych ward. I wrote down that hell to not forget. Just one night of drinking did it. JL, hope you feel a bit better today. Its good seeing you be more proactive in sobriety! Lots of resources besides physical meetings are available. . Sometimes it takes a scare for us, a blackout 4 wheel drive for you, health crisis for retread, Me on verge of insanity. But, we got it this time, so I believe you can do it JL! bexxed, so happy you started and ended August sober, great job.

I'm not mourning wine yet, maybe that will come later but right now I'm just disgusted by it and effect it has on people. I even meandered through the wine aisle yesterday instead of racing through to see what happened, nada. Used to get dizzy spells just going to grocery cause wine was there. I will be vigilant because I realise that AV may make appearance at some point and I will be ready with NO!

Brighter, we are in a drought here in San Diego, and approaching fire season, scary! Send us rain please, thanks! It's 4 am, going to go in front yard in pjs to feel the grass on feet and look at the sky and moon( if there is no marine later so I can see them) Hope my neighbors are not watching. It's a new thing I do when I wake up too early w insomnia, the grass on bare feet and looking at moon and sky grounds me, starts my day peaceful and the wake up anxiety is lessened. Deep breath and do some stretching and few yoga poses on grass. Whatever it takes.

Hope you all have a peaceful sober day!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hi gang. Day (7). What a feeling.

No one should beat themselves up about this addiction. You wouldn't punch yourself in the face after partying the night before. And that's usually how I feel the next morning.

So, it's very clear some things are out of our control. However, when abstaining, things are in our control.

Nothing like pulling into September with a week under my belt. I've done this a couple dozen time in the past 4-5 years. It's hard to believe it can suck you back in and suck the life out of you.

Great job class of August. I say often, whether you are on day (1) or day (60), thanks for coming! And thanks for your posts, sharing your feeling and honesty. You all helped get me back on the straight and narrow. Now, it's up to me to stay the course. And I'm here to support as well.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with this. I wish I could say, I've only done this once!

Stay Strong..........
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Found us! Glad to see the thread continuing!

Looking forward to spending another month with all of the August graduates!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

7 days NT! Way to go! I agree wholeheartedly, it is hard to believe how this can suck you in and the life out of you. I'm determined not to let that happen again!
Proud of all the accomplishments around here. Bexxed, even if your snack had 3x the calories compared to alcohol, I'd chalk that up to a win. We need to give our bodies and minds time to recover from our unhealthy alcohol habits and that's not just like flipping a switch.

Sadie we are still sober twins! Day 8 for me today too. Double digits soon. I am also in mourning still, was watching my show last night (Empire - new guilty pleasure) and I totally erupted into tears not just once, but TWICE! I am not usually an emotional person, so that for me was new. I'm trying to be calm and weather the storm...

Hope everyone here is enjoying this lovely morning sober. Even if things aren't perfect, being sober is enough for me.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Sadie
I was stationed at camp Pendleton WAY back (90s).
Used to zoom through San Diego going to TJs .
City was pretty , but the smog whew. Not bad as LA, though. Get out in the mountains east of both cities and you could see the smog line once you got up high enough. Beautiful places.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

PS Brighterlife, I can relate 100%, my mind plays that game too of "why can't I do it, everyone is doing it"....amazing how on some TV shows alcohol is practically another character. I suppose some people really do have alcohol for every meal and in between. I personally could never drink like that, because once I started it was full speed ahead until I passed out...but anyway. Just remember you are like us, you are not alone, we are your peeps!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

OH NO! I just wrote a long post and lost it! Maybe that's good?

Anyway, Sadie, I love your walk in the grass looking at the moon. My " me" time is mornings on my deck with a cup of coffee. Today I got out here early enough to see the sun rise. My deck is kind of high and in the woods. I have several bird feeders about 10 feet from my chair. My dogs wander about. Like you said, it's peaceful and lessens my anxiety. (Except my dogs just chased a deer away and destroyed the tranquility!)

Welcome September! It has been a very long time since I've made it a whole month. It feels great. I'm so happy to see so many posts this morning! Have a great day class!!!