Notices

One Year & Over Part 29

Old 09-12-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Magsie

Pleased you're on the mend, Dee.

Drake, they must've looked magnificent on the sunflowers! I'd just like to take a photo of them I can put in my hall. You know, a bit personal and such. It is confusing when we have bank holidays, all the days can be mixed up!

Toots, you ensconced back at home now, chicolita.

Gleefan, everything seems to come around, doesn't it. It's so nice to be in control of our thoughts and actions, it makes us truly grateful. I get arthritis too, I've noticed a pattern, not sure if this is how it happens , but it seems to be all down my left side. I hope you find some relief for your foot. I've started having a lot of broccoli, it's a super food for arthritis, might be running the marathon next, lol.

Hi Sassy, times were hard when my nan nan was alive, like most in those days, bless her, but she was always happy. I used to call her and my grand dad by their first names! I was so cheeky! My nan nan used to say, Great Scott Our Magsy! I've got a picture on my fridge of them, dancing, acting the goat, they were a couple of life's' characters.
Gosh, I rambled on then!

Right the sun is out! My new h e b e shrubs have arrived, I'm gonna repot them to bigger ones.

Speak later, take care.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Mags, they sound very special :-)
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Do your best

As far as I know there isn't any YouTube footage of me & I havnt uploaded anything not that I have footage lol

If I buy new equipment maybe one day il upload some stuff but our home is my priority at the moment

Mrs sw accidentally busted the kitchen Venetian blinds I put up so we got a new roller blind I wanted to get first time round but I wanted Mrs sw to be happy so we went with her choice they were nice but Venetian blinds always cause trouble lol

Last edited by Dee74; 09-13-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think Thiers some swear words at the beginning as I just watched it is it allowed if not my apologies
Old 09-12-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee,
I didn't know you had some struggles to face either. I hope you get all the way beck to normal, or what passes for normal in an above normal group like we Recovered/Recovering overs tend to be.

Glee,
thanks for the comments. Boy do I know about dealing with pain. The advantage to regular pain is that endurance can be built up as it becomes the new norm. But chronic pain like migraines and arthritis that comes and goes never can be accommodated by endorphin, with a little help from NSAIDs, and occasionally a very light muscle spasm relaxer like my 5mg Flexeril once daily, twice when I blew it and let my testosterone override my neck and spine restrictions.

Wolf,
We keep having more and more in common. Love your posts bud.

FBL,
I have found that there is a majority of folks who think discussing dentures as personal, like talking about menstruation or sperm counts. Not being of that mind (Moi??) I too vote for pulling. Faint hearted wimmins and squeamish boys stop reading now. FBL I had bad enamel from a child. My baby molars all had to be yanked and despite excellent medical care all my life in the military and beyond, I had three root C's and crowns everywhere. I decided that spending $30k for implants was not in my budget, and that my spending five to ten thousand bucks a year was stupid. So I went one year with no dentist and at the end had three teeth broken in half or a third broken off, and all of them were different colors as the crowns were put on decades apart! One day I noticed that people referred to bad teeth as meth head teeth. Accck! I was in sales and now not only altered my smile to hide my mismatched shades, I was embarrassed to talk because that was what many folks thought. I had fillings in every tooth in my head. Then I saw a commercial for a discount denture place that was the same price as two Root canals and Crowns! They pull all your remaining teeth, upper and lower, out in the morning, and have your temporary dentures ready that afternoon. I had them all yanked. For one year I regretted that decision as I had real difficulty eating some things. Once I became used to them I found I can again eat anything, and no pain, nor any dentist bills in the thousands every time I turned around.

Would I prefer natural teeth? Sure, but not nasty bad looking broken or patched together teeth. I was much more uncomfortable in the last couple of years with my unsalvageable expensively patchable teeth.

Welcome back Toots!

Mags,
It comes with time and taking the effort to learn. I once long ago developed one liners to be able to teach my instructors and students. Most of us have had the experience of discovering a new "thing" whatever it may be, a science breakthrough, concept, or opportunity and before we actually have time to digest it, excitedly try to tell another about it. But we only just learned of it and cannot pass it along and sound like we are one of the tin foil hat brigade, or gullible! So we talked about things and for each major concept we developed a one liner or at most two, that could help us recall the larger concepts and discuss/teach/pass along easily. We distilled concepts.

For learning, and this is mine no matter where else it may today appear, I came up with:

"Learning is a change in behavior"

Simply put reading and discussing result in a lot of sincere at the moment decisions to put into practice, but new habits take a month to cause the extinction of old habits by and large. Education when cherry picked from a religious, philosophical, racial, cultural, point of view causes us to only read and study the parts that we already agree with, and ignore the parts we do not agree with or like. We all do it. So much of education is not learning because little is actually adopted for empirical testing and use.

If I can't swim but would like to, I can read a book about swimming. But if without a lot of time invested practicing what I learned ( changing behaviors of never swimming) I am thrown into deep water suddenly, I will show the observable behaviors of drowndering and floundering!

Once I make the effort, and make the time, to do the work to become able to swim, the observable behavior changes to not drowndering and floundering.

Some have tried to say that learning a concept exhibits no observable change in behavior. It does! If someone knows nothing about string theory and Quantum physics and tries to pose as one who does, the observable behavior is painfully watching them make a fool of themselves. The only kind out is to say nothing at all, nod and move on in the conversation or physically. Remember poseurs are willfully ignorant which to me defines stupidity. I walk away or change the subject because ignorance can be dealt with. If the ignorant person in question wants to, and has the courage to learn, they can be taught.

But, you can't teach stupid! Look at me when I was drinking and knew I was killing myself. But I still kept drinking consoling myself that I could not quit, when the correct wording is that I would not quit.

We have to be willing and ready to not only acquire data, which is useless if it cannot be put into use, but to learn it. Remembering that "Learning is a change in behavior."

Eating broccoli is a change in behavior. I love it BTW. ( as well as all veggies and fruits I've encountered save just a few like Durian fruit and some persimmon strains)

When we are in distress (as opposed to Eustress) it can usually be termed cognitive dissonance when the distress is due to something we have done or believe. Our only way to resolve the situation where our beliefs disagree with our behaviors is to either change the belief, or change the behavior.

We here have changed a behavior, and our belief. Some who are revolving door alcoholics, who continually relapse have only changed the behavior but not the belief that they need it to survive life. No one gets out of here alive. We only have between now, and then, as we've already done what's done and no longer have between now and that past tense then.

Mags, you rambled???

OK we are almost in the new house. The concrete pad for the whole house 25kw back up generator running on natural gas was poured yesterday. Next week we set the generator up, then the plumber comes and puts a hi to low pressure regulator on the house gas line and the generator gas inlet line. I ordered them last week and have them each of which is different because the generator draws tremendous amounts of fuel in on start and max demand. Thus we have to change our service at the meter from low pressure that supplies one household only, to hi pressure at the meter and regulate it back down at the dwelling so that there is enough pressure and volume of gas so as not to have the generator fuel starve the furnace when it kicks on. Yes, it is that complicated if you want to know it is all done right. With gas I personally recheck and observe all storage and/or lines at installation, as I have to sleep in it, and have seen the contractors who do not care mess up and not adhere to code taking shortcuts instead.

They finally took the old trailer that was in the back yard away after we moved all our stuff to the new one. We are still in the RV until the gas is in and done and then the punch out list gets done while we are living in it. I'm now in the middle of learning about LED light bulbs, colors, Lumens, and variances in life expectancy and watts used for the same Lumens. Thank heavens for online reviews!

A big hello to all my Overs buddies here! It is cooler here too! I think we are having the first, of two days every Spring and fall, that are nice weather here in the swamp!
Old 09-12-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome as always Itchy
Old 09-12-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Dee, sorry mate...didn't know you were hurting. Take care of yourself, we all need you around here!

Thanks, Itch. I had a molar pulled a few years back and it was no big deal. I still have my wisdom teeth that need to be yanked someday, but they don't hurt so they are staying put for now. The current molar in question doesn't hurt much at all now, so will put off for now as I have a busy couple of weeks coming up. My other teeth appear pretty healthy, despite my neglect of them during my drinking days.

I got my regular health insurance bill today and it goes through the end of December, so now don't know what to think (they said the plan would be cancelled at the end of November). My agent is on top of the situation, so will let him do the worrying for now

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 09-12-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

I didn't know you were feeling bad either, Dee. Glad you're feeling better now.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Do your best

Get well soon D
Old 09-13-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

yeah, hope your on the upswing real soon dee

ans RIP old trailer
Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Dee
Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs the weather can't make its mind up today
Old 09-13-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not usually allowed SW, so I removed the link. If anyone wants to hear it they can PM you..

I'm fine guys - had a fall last week.

D
Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dee, you're a bit bruised and battered? Hope nothing is broken. Take care.

Itchy, wow, I will read your paragraphs again to enable them to sink in. I'm not unintelligent but my poor grey cells want to mull over the words.

I've just bought some hi-energy suet pellets with mealworms, bird food! I put it out and they love it. I've started getting interested in gardening. I know hardly nothing about it, always wanted to like it but never have. Now something has switched in me and I'm thinking of spring. Unsure if there's anything I can do in winter, spring bulbs? Plants? I haven't still got my greenhouse, waiting for hubby to put the base down or whatever it stand on.

Got to do vegetables for dinner soon, well it's not so much dinner. We've been to mil and fil house. So just having a cuppa coffee and chat with you.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

FBL I am holding you totally responsible!!!!!

I just ate some popcorn and must have bitten down on an un popped kernel. Splintered a back molar. Now I have to wait till tomorrow morning to get an appointment. Grrrrr!!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Magsie

I can understand you fully, toots, it being Fbl fault! Lol. Hope you're not in too much pain!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Toots, I feel your pain! Maybe we both have a "yank" in our near future
Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Toots, I feel your pain! Maybe we both have a "yank" in our near future
Ouch!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks D I listened to t after posting and thought er.... I better at something otherwise it looks bad

Thanks D, hope you feel better from your cold & your fall
Old 09-13-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight Overs wishing you all a nice start to the week ahead