Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 19

Old 09-16-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

9-11 and Sandy were geographically close enough to be nightmarish. Although I personally lost no-one in 9-11 and sustained only minimal damage in Sandy, I knew many who knew people or had family killed in 9-11 or were directly and seriously impacted by Sandy. Watching Hurricane Katrina, even from a safe distance, was like watching the onset or approach of Armageddon.

All events changed how I looked at life .

Those California wildfires are ominous as all get-out. I am so glad that, all things considered Briar, your brother is mostly okay and that your mother remains safe. Thank goodness.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrighterDayz View Post
A Mom who lost her son to a drug OD sent me a link to this https://www.facingaddiction.org/
Thanks, BD; Washington, D.C. is really only a hop, skip and jump away. I am going to look into attending that march.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I got pretty sick a few days back, haven't been able to even sit up long enough to post...will check back in when I can. Huge hugs for everyone. ♥
Hope you are feeling better, venuscat.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Checking in...Doing alright. Just taking it day by day. Kinda shaken up this week still after Sunday. I'll take that as a good thing. My AV is very frightened.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

That AV doesn't like it when we get strong, Arbor. But you can show him who is boss.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Checking in...Doing alright. Just taking it day by day. Kinda shaken up this week still after Sunday. I'll take that as a good thing. My AV is very frightened.
Keep that AV shaking in his boots, Arbor. Make sure he knows that he is no longer the boss.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday gang.

Today it's our turn for a birthday as my oldest girl turns 17. Her restaurant choice for dinner this evening is teppanyaki style. I like it fine but around here it is way too salty. They squirt loads of teriyaki sauce on everything as it cooks so it all tastes about the same to me. Its fun to watch them cook though. My little one loves it when they do that onion volcano thing.

Time to cook breakfast. Wishing each of you the best day.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Never heard of that Mark, appears to be like Hibachi. Happy Birthday to your DD! Have fun. Good morning all.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to your girl, Mark. We call that "Japanese Steak House" here. I don't think I have ever been to one! Maybe on our honeymoon we did go to one.

Enjoy!

Daughter enjoyed her day. She also has a small party on Saturday. Having 7 friends over to be silly, eat burgers and hot dogs, and try out the fondue pot she wanted for her bday(with chocolate.)

I am tired. Still recovering from the cold I got on Sunday. But getting better. I need to clean, clean, clean...
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Checking in...another 24 please.

Happy birthday to your not so little girl anymore Mark.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

A nice birthday dinner accomplished. The food is good, but on the salty side for my taste. I'll be thirsty with a dry mouth tonight but thank my lucky stars that's the exception these days.

What a change from one weekend to the next for you Arbor. I've thought about your reference to the anxiety that came along after opening up about this while at the same time it's a relief. I've felt that way about certain decisions before....even those that I knew in my heart were right. We were all so accustomed to some degree of secrecy concerning our alcohol affair and when it is all out in the open it's a bit like being cornered with a bright light shining in the eyes. That's a bit how I felt and frankly still do at times. I've never been one to have others all up in my business so to speak. I find it uncomfortable, but it made the difference for me.

Anyway, it goes without saying that this was absolutely the right decision for you. I don't think anyone (other than av) could argue against the fact that you'll be a better dad to your boys sober. It'll be the norm for them......what a gift!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Friday. Staff meeting first thing this morning so gotta get fired up.

Missing V and Conquest.

Wishing each of you the best day. Gym time.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Staff Meeting first thing on Friday? You run a tight ship LOL.

I save my gym time for after work, Friday nights are my absolute favorites at the gym-everyone is somewhere else. I leave for work at 7am, so no way it's happening before that. Missing V and Conquest also. Our group sure has dwindled down.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Yes I hope Conquest is ok. I know she said this is her busy time of year. V has been sick still I take it.

Thanks Mark. I know it's right for me. Just gotta stick to my commitment like you. That a choice has been finally made. Those nine months I didn't quit for me. Feel like now I've launched my silver bullet on my AV. Some might not think opening up to my family is all that or enough, but for me it's better than any AA meeting I've ever attended. I still plan to go to meetings and such and am excited to see where they take me. There are some real inspiring folk down there.

Saw a thing on sixty minutes about Cross fit. Thought of you Mark. Sounds like more my thing than just lifting weights and treadmilling it. If I could make some time I think I could grow to love something like that.

Enjoy Friday all.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hi gang. Also missing Conquest. Hope she is ok. Missing V too, get well, V.

Busy tidying the house and getting ready for daughter's bday with her friends tomorrow. I plan to have the kids pitch in with the real cleaning, but so much clutter and stuff. Lots of recycling of boxes too. I had ordered several things the past couple of months, dog related, gift related, shoes, etc... Makes for loads of recycling.

Entertaining a bored puppy in between it all. In and out all morning, lol. And keeping him from chewing *everything.* Ordered some bitter spray to try. He has frayed a section of the rug's edge in the family room... Good thing it is a 15 year old rug that weathered the kids young years.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Opening to my family was huge for me Arbor....it was a change in my mindset. It started with just SR for me and the opening up followed. I don't see AA in my future, but do think it is an awesome tool for many. I've never done crossfit, but it is very popular around here. I don't do the treadmills either. I run on weekends outside or not at all.

I hope the sweet 16 party goes well phoebe. The chocolate sounds good to me.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Well I hope you got that Friday night workout in BD. It's interesting about people's preferences for workout times. The only time I know for sure that I can do it is early morning as I never know when I'll leave work. Too tired after work AND my wife wouldnt like it.

I've been dreading the time that the class thread would dwindle down.

Hope y'all have a nice weekend ahead. Hot again here and my lawn guy didn't show up this week (gonna fire him) so I've got a date with the lawn mower.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi guys, just checking in. Lots to do and process over here. It's been a roller coaster. They are beginning to find the bodies of people who died in the fire, and one was a family friend. That added a new level of processing I'm working through. It's very difficult, but I haven't wanted to drink at all. In fact, throughout this I've been grateful for my sobriety. I feel confident that I can handle this situation.

My family is doing well. Mom is safe at her house, and brother has spent the last three days fixing the local gas station (he's a plumber). He thought he was just volunteering until today when the owner told him insurance is paying for it, so turns out he is going to be paid handsomely. He also expects a lot of work as people begin to rebuild. While he's grateful, every time I talk to him he tells me it's not fair that things are going well for him and not others. He has a lot of guilt over that. He's just such a kindhearted guy.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Good to hear that you're on solid sober ground Briar. Reading the tone of quiet resolve and confidence in your posts is truly inspiring . It's great that you're able to really 'be there' for your family rather than turning inward for the bottle that used to be hidden on that shelf in your garage.

I can see where your brother may feel off by profiting from the tragedy, but I'm sure those who get their plumbing back in order will be nothing but grateful. The owner of the gas station needs to get back in business to serve the locals and the locals need to fill their tanks. Applying his skills to rebuild the community is a good thing. I'm sure there are plenty of ways that he can volunteer some time outside the scope of his profession and doing that may help him deal with the guilt he's feeling.

Wishing each of you the best day. Gym time.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your bro is in a position to help Briar.
I'm sorry for the loss of your family friend tho - tragic.

D