Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 9

Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
waking down

40 minutes is ambitious. I average 30, trying to do 40 the day after I only do 20... Carrying it through the day and remembering to be here now really helps ground me out. Coworkers have commented that they are impressed with my calm in the face of perpetual chaos. Good stuff.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

That aligns with what you find in "Full Catastrophe Living". It's what I'm aiming for. You're right. 40 minutes is a lot. When I get to work, no-one is there. Last week, instead of firing up the computer, I turned the light off and practiced Mindfulness for 20 minutes or so before heading to the gym. My email will be waiting for me when I get back from the gym. At night I cut out some news which is violent and depressing anyway and try to meditate. It doesn't always work out but it's a goal.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
waking down

Other than reading The Week I am pretty much clueless about what's happening in the world. Out of sight out of mind. Can't do much about most of it anyway. Trying to positively effect my immediate locale. Netflix has almost supplanted basic cable, though I put up with ads when I'm sick or brain dead. Sometimes.

I've seen Zinn in documentaries but never read any of his books. Sounds like Full Catastrophe Living could be on my list...

Almost done with Griffin's Buddhism and the Twelve Steps. It's a stretch. Not convincing me to be a 12 Stepper. So much of the book is replacing steps from a nontheist perspective. It's a revision. Still not convinced "higher power" or "God as we know him" works for me.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
waking down

I ordered Full Catastrophe Living today along with a book on MBRP (Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention - an offshoot of Zinn's Mindfulness Based Stress Reducation), you know, to spend another $25 to get free shipping.

I'm way into this stuff and I'm considering coursework toward an addiction counseling certificate. When I "retire" in a few years I could afford to take a low-paying job helping people. Feels like a calling these days...
Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I've read enough of your writing to know that you have a lot of insight and draw from your own experience skillfully to communicate it to others. Pain is a great teacher isn't it?

I think you would help a lot of people. Go for it!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks, Vet. Speaking of... I just weeded through all my medical receipts for the past year, tossing the superfluous stuff to make room in my files. It's kind of hard to believe. Starting in August of 2014 we're talking a brain MRI (some kind of seizure/hallucination/maybe silent migraine), three skin lesion biopsy/removals, lots of chiropractic and massage, a colonoscopy, another MRI on my back, xrays of back and carotids and heart, back surgery, urology visits, catheters for five months, physical therapy, prostate surgery...I must be forgetting something...and a ****-ton of drugs. What a ride. I have been feeling so grateful since the bleeding stopped and I got off drugs. I feel younger and aside from expected aches and pains, damn good! All this while negotiating sobriety and trying to establish my mindfulness practice - not to mention trying to keep - and keep from walking off - my job. No wonder I decided I'm a (Shambhala) WARRIOR!!! And still, many have had it far worse. Good to be alive.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Yes, Zero. Definitely a warrior. Good that you've been through that tunnel, and come out this side, into the light. I think you should thank your sense of humour for some of the goodness here. A humourless world is kind of a darkish one.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
I think you should thank your sense of humour for some of the goodness here. A humourless world is kind of a darkish one.
You got that right. Without a sense of humor I would have offed myself. And that's no joke. But then, I was so pathetic at times that I don't think I could have taken myself seriously enough to bother trying to die. I remember one day shortly before my back surgery. I struggled out of bed and got to the toilet after holding it too long. I was standing at the toilet with pain radiating down my leg like my thigh was being torn from the bone - and I couldn't pee. I dropped to the floor, held my thigh with both hands, writhed for a minute or two, then pulled myself onto the toilet, but sitting was just as painful as standing, and I fell to the floor again. Then I tried to lay over the bowl with my junk hanging over the water, but there wasn't sufficient space between the walls and an armoir, so I was all contorted and cramping and panicing. I sobbed and laughed simultaneously as I thought my bladder would explode and I wouldn't be able to get to the phone to call 911. Unable to pee, I was stuck there kind of half laying over the toilet with my boxers around my ankles thinking this is it, I'm gonna die here. I eventually muscled myself to my feet and started racing for the phone but took about five steps and pissed myself. So I turned around and kind of dove into the bathtub and layed there half relieved and half horrified with all emotional self-control draining into the tub along with my urine, my sweat, and every drop of hubris or pride or self-importance I had left in me. Then I realized I needed to take a ****. Then I cried like a baby. Then I laughed my ass off. See what I mean? Who would bother killing such a pathetic being?

But hey, that's what I call living. It's like, all those years taking the basics for granted, and all those drinks trying not to feel, and suddenly life is so unbelievably bizarre and painful that there's no denying - well - anything, really. I think this is all why I find comic horror films to be so much fun. A guy gets spooked, starts running blind, and skewers himself on a dead tree limb. Freakin' hilarious....
Old 09-14-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

You're an inspiration Zero. If you can make I can.

Rosh Hashanah now (Jewish New Year). Beef brisket and all the trimmings so light lunch today.
Have a great week all!
Old 09-14-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too Vet and everyone

D
Old 09-14-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
waking down

Ditto that.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey guys, just a quick hello. I'm doing good. Very busy trying to organize and get ready to sell some stuff. If I can unload a bunch of tools it'll be a small dent in the stuff I need to get rid of. I decided to focus on just getting rid of stuff at the moment. To make room for other stuff I'll probably get in the future. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
waking down

I stuff my stuff with stuff and stuff.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I have a strict grammar/usage friend who recently ranted a little on the use of the word 'stuff'. I found myself trying to purge it out of my language as a result, but it just didn't work. 'Stuff' is just too good word. I stand by it. And support it, and stuff.
(I think the Cleaver boys and friends used that word a lot).
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
waking down

I've been into stuff ever since H.R. Pufnstuf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkK...v4aGpwwbb1P_qt
Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

A long day sorting stuff and actually putting price stickers on it.
Hopefully somebody wants this stuff more than I do.
It got late and I went out for a pizza for dinner. Did an hour practice in morning and an hour after pizza. Settling down to relax just to do it all again tomorrow. I also have to run to get an ink cartridge filled so I can print out and post ads for my stuff around the area.

Glad you are getting into the mindfulness thing Vet. It definitely does wonders. I need to practice more myself. I find I become irritated easily when I start to lapse on mindful living. It's a good reminder to take a step back to realize getting grouchy ain't where it's at.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I try to get in small chunks2-3 times a day. Then I listen to a meditation CD when I get in bed. One think for sure is that you have to keep at it. I try to have mindful moments during the day like Zero.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I've been using mindfulness throughout the day in general tasking.

I realize I really took on too much when I brought all of this stuff home with me. Hopefully it pays off. All in all, the "hourly wage" for all I'm doing will be calculated quite low. BUT, it is keeping me busy and I'm doing a good thing for my sister. I need to look at the end result - if there ever is one.
Have a good weekend.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

hey all, hope you are doing well...
an early day for me as I was at the "yard sale" early. I brought in almost 600 unloading tools and such. Brings my total to almost 900 bucks counting craigs list 3 items sold.
Sat in the sun drinking a cool sports drink and eating a tuna sandwich my missus was kind enough to deliver. Now I have to unload the junk I didn't sell and come up with a plan to 'dispose' of it and hopefully make some more change from it. Funny that each time my partner came to visit I handed her money to take home. And when I got home she suddenly became my accountant. Deducting costs, her six dollars she 'loaned' me in case I needed to make change etc. AND SHE IS SERIOUS!

Hope all are well.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy weekend folks

D