Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 9

Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Foggy, dark day here in Maine. But I'm sober and glad to come here and read all your words. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
waking down

Welcome, Pines! Did you stop drinking in December 2013, or are you just extra friendly? Either way, you're always welcomed here. Maybe I missed something or had a brainfart. Wouldn't be the first time...
Old 12-11-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome also to Beautifulpines.
Glad you enjoy reading our words. It's been a trip for me over the past (almost) two years. Such expressions of jubilance sometimes, then reporting of pretty profound challenges. People moving in and out of the group. Which is great. Miss some who have left, but figure some will return.

On the day to day front: installed a big honking generator in my barn over the last few days. In case of power failures. Will power the house. Muchos serious head scratching since big voltage lines can be big issue if not well planned. All worked well. Happy guy today.
Very very mild temperatures continue. I've usually devoured a sizable chunk of firewood by now, but this year, haven't even fired up the wood furnace. Just a bit of oil. Very grateful walking outdoors in the sun and heavy winds.
Not the typical December. Love it.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
Yes, welcome also to Beautifulpines.
Glad you enjoy reading our words. It's been a trip for me over the past (almost) two years. Such expressions of jubilance sometimes, then reporting of pretty profound challenges. People moving in and out of the group. Which is great. Miss some who have left, but figure some will return.

On the day to day front: installed a big honking generator in my barn over the last few days. In case of power failures. Will power the house. Muchos serious head scratching since big voltage lines can be big issue if not well planned. All worked well. Happy guy today.
Very very mild temperatures continue. I've usually devoured a sizable chunk of firewood by now, but this year, haven't even fired up the wood furnace. Just a bit of oil. Very grateful walking outdoors in the sun and heavy winds.
Not the typical December. Love it.
You're not kidding about it not being the typical December JR. THE DC Metro are will breach70 F at least twice in the next several days. Several heat records may be broken. I'll be out mowing the lawn in shorts and a polo shirt - not a pretty sight.

Welcome Beautiful Pines. This is a small but great group. They have helped shepard me through good times and bad. I hope you stick around for a while.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome from me too beautifulpines

This is the December 2013 group but you're more than welcome to post here

D
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
waking down

Wife out of town. Working my ass off at work and on the home front. Storm approaching. More snow. Need food. Need sleep. Found my right eyeball in my left ear. Dog poop patrol before snow buries it. Poo slushies. Plushies. Yow.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

What elevation are you at, Zero? I mean that literally, of course. You're in the mountains, right? Which makes sense of the snow in an otherwise very unseasonably warm almost winter continent.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
waking down

Almost 7000 ft.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

hello all. I enjoyed my time in the woods with a couple old hunting buddies.
They drank a lot. I didn't care. They don't have a problem.
One friend said he knows he has a problem and needs to address it soon. Soon could be ten years... guy drinks way more than I did.
Went to a bar for dinner and Thursday night football. The gal pouring drinks vodka tonics was fill glass with some ice, cover it with vodka, top it off with tonic.
By the end of the night guy to my right drank almost a full bottle of absolute. Guy to my left drank many bourbons +. I decided to have a couple NA beers. The bartender kept joking that she is gonna have to give me a sobriety test before we leave. I think because I was there the host felt he could drink more because I could drive back.

Anyway, it didn't bother me at all. I don't drink and I'm not tempted nor do I miss it. And everyone was calm and just talking watching game. Got caught up on what's going on at 'work'. Glad I'm not there now. It's worse than ever

Got a doe. Dropped it off at butcher yesterday - it will be packaged, frozen and wrapped as xmas presents.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
waking down

All sounds good, LB. I'm there with you. Went to my local pizza/bar yesterday for a lunch break. Guy to my right sucked several whiskeys and I don't know how long he'd been there but he had finished eating when I arrived. Others at the bar all drinking at 1pm. Used to be me. One of them was an old drinking buddy. We don't see each other much these days, but we're friendly. I think drinkers are more uncomfortable with me not drinking than I am being around people drinking. It just doesn't bother me. Good thing, too, cuz I love live music. Truth be told, I prefer the company of stoners to drunks. Stoners don't talk so damn much. If they're stoned enough, sometimes they can't even talk. Better that way so I can listen to the music or just have my peace.

Word on the street in Denver is don't drive too slow on the freeway or you'll get pulled over. Drunks drive recklessly. Stoners do 45mph in a 55 zone, especially at night when the lights are - dude, what was that - so trippy, man.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

I can speak from firsthand experience on driving below the speed limit stoned. The cops have the profile right, that's for sure.

Just checking in at a little over 7 weeks sober for try #2. Feeling better every week and been attending meetings on average at least once a day, which I certainly didn't do last time around, it's benefited me greatly.

Now the problem is I'm a pack a day smoker for the past 2 weeks which I've never done before in my entire life. I quit years and years ago. I'm going to kick that one soon but not putting any immediate pressure on myself. It'll come before 2016, that's for sure though.

Hope all are well as we head into the end of the year!

I've got a plan to hit up some explicitly sober parties when I'm not suckered into ha going with my family (kidding about the fam........ Kinda....)
Old 12-14-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

congrats, glad to hear you are on seven weeks actual. keep doing what you're doing

a word of caution, for some who have a difficult time quitting, attempting cigs at the same time may be very stressful and could weaken your resolve to stop the drink.

make sure you have a good handle on sobriety before risking it by quitting smoking... some people can do it, others have a really tough time -and that could lead you back to drinking. something to think about.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  
waking down

All sounds good, AA. I agree with LB about not pushing too hard, but if you're ready...

Back to my other job...
Old 12-14-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit both at once, so it's possible - but I think everyone has to decide their own right way of doing it AA

D
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
waking down

Another lockdown at work today. Armed robbery suspect in vicinity. God Bless America.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

hello,
hope all are well,
hope your celebration was enjoyed Vet
another lock down... when I was young and there was an armed robbery, we all went on about our day and said, "I hope they catch the guy." Now everything is a crisis, and we as a society are coddled - over sensationalized by the powers that be?

up early to hit the woods
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Talking

Old 12-16-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

when not positive, read the rule book.
Hunting season is closed until Dec 26. I should have known that, but I read the rules to be sure. Looks like 'house work' instead of hunting
Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  
waking down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4NQWCyJpg
Old 12-17-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

We've been to Maine several times. East Booth Bay - beautiful.