Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 6

Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Hang in there Holds. It'll get better.

Having a quiet eve getting ready to watch Venus and Serena!

I had some AV earlier, trying to convince me, with the same tired argument, that its not that bad to drink. I remembered the cancer Dr. from earlier, and I forgot to quote this, who stated, when asked how much alcohol is safe, to which he replied: "Well, none, of course, no level of alcohol is safe in any amount". Basically , ANY alcohol that touches human cells can mutate them into cancer. Let that one sink in AV!

OK, gotta go watch the match.

Have a great eve all.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Been a while since my last post. Day 50 here and coming back from vacation. Ended up I had 12 days instead of 19. Yay me! Hope everyone is doing good!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Congrats, 2 wheels!!!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hey there, my quit date was July 14... mind if I join in?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Mind? We're happy to have you join the July15ers, fantail!

Busy day for me, folks. AV was quiet today; too much to do. Will post more tomorrow.

Take care, eveyone
Old 09-08-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Holds, just saw your thread on another forum. Sending all good vibes your way. Hang in there!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Hold on holds! I'm sorry you're having difficulty finding relief. I hope it comes on it's own with a little more time.

I hung out with a friend tonight who struggles a lot with depression and doesn't take care of himself. It was really hard to not try to bombard him with well meaning advice. Seeing someone else's self destructive patterns and hearing their cognitive dissonance is so painful when you're just beginning to break free yourself.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Sharing some golden advice from the Carr book
THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT MAKE IT EASY TO QUIT
1 Cultivate the attitude : “Isn’t it great? My life is no longer dominated by DEVASTATION!”
2 Never, ever doubt your decision: there is absolutely nothing to give up!
3 Do not try not to think about drinking.
4 Be aware that the little monster exists, but don’t worry about him.
5 Don’t worry if occasionally you forget that you no longer drink.
6 Don’t wait to become a non-drinker.
7 Accept that you will have good days and bad days.
8 Be aware that you control the craving and not the other way around.
9 Do not mourn the death of an enemy.
10 Don’t change your lifestyle just because you have quit drinking.
11 Don’t try to convert your friends unless they first seek your help.
12 Change those parts of your lifestyle which you do not like, but for purely selfish reasons.
13 Do not use substitutes.
14 Enjoy breaking the associations. 15 Never envy people who drink alcohol.
16 Last but not least: ENJOY LIFE!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome fantail

D
Old 09-09-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Welcome fantail. Happy mid-day Wednesday here in the mid-atlantic. I'm going to a party tonight and their will be alcohol but I think I'll be OK. I've already talked to the host and lemonade and tea will ALSO be available :-)

I need this practice to have some non-drinking fun! I'll post how it went later.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Hope you have fun BBfree

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

Welcome fantail

letitgo - that is some great advice, thank you

Day 55 here, still going

Any of you deal with workplace annoyances? I get constantly bombarded with rude vendors that we pay! how horrible is that??? Oh well trying oh so hard not to let it get to me but its difficult.

Got Bible Study tonight, hopefully that will be good. Also slept on my shoulder weird last night I think and now I got this sharp pain going from my shoulder to my underarm, it feels better if I move it around a bit, other than that I just feel exhausted,

The only thing that makes me happy today is my family, friends and being sober, so I'm trying my best to stick to that.

Thanks for all your support!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Day 56 over with here.

I must say I am feeling very tired in the evenings lately. It's good though as I'm sleeping great. My Dr says it's a side effect of the mirtazapine she put me on. After years of insomnia it's so different! I am generally quite calm and my mood swings are getting less and less. It's very comforting to go to bed knowing that I am going to get a good rest. I've not had a bad nights sleep in 2 months! It is restful sleep too so I can't complain at all, it's just strange.

I have an interview for a new role within my organisation tomorrow. Wish me luck It's a job that would be good for me and something much less stressful than what I do now, and probably more rewarding too. My job at the moment is akin to fighting a never ending fire with a water pistol.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

BBB I have been feeling extremely tired too. Day 51 ending for me. I swear if it's not the death gripping depression worrying me to death it's the "too tired to care" feeling. I am however grateful I'm sober. Maybe my blood pressure med is too low. I don't know but I'll check with the doc tomorrow. Gonna internet surf a while and soak the feet...it feels heavenly after a long day at work. Hope everyone is doing well. It's eerily quiet.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hi all & thanks for the welcomes

It's helpful to read that other people are hitting low stretches in the 50 day area! I'm on day 58 and just today starting to feel a bit better... the last 10 days I've been so exhausted that I was starting to get seriously concerned. I've just moved to a new city and I'm job hunting, so I'd find myself nodding off throughout the day at my computer. And then still be able to sleep through the night!

Today was a lot better so hopefully that phase is approaching its end. I'm really happy to be hitting my 60-day-mark this week. This is the longest sober time I've had in two years. And as it's my first time incorporating AA into my sobriety program, I'm excited for getting a chip like a kid is for a gold star. Some things never change I guess!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow BBB.

I had a good sober time at the party. I really was not tempted at all. Lots of laughs and it was good to be "on my game" so to speak where I was able to stay really sharp and tell some funny stories.

I'm just remembering that I went to Pizza Hut to get something for my son before I left for the party. I forgot that Pizza Hut is a trigger. I instantly thought of beer in a pitcher. So weird what a knee-jerk thought that was. I was able to dismiss it and even laugh about it to myself later and what a classically conditioned Pavlovian dog I am!

Have a good sober night all.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Originally Posted by BobBFree33 View Post
what a classically conditioned Pavlovian dog I am!

Woof!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobBFree33 View Post
I'm just remembering that I went to Pizza Hut to get something for my son before I left for the party. I forgot that Pizza Hut is a trigger. I instantly thought of beer in a pitcher. So weird what a knee-jerk thought that was. I was able to dismiss it and even laugh about it to myself later and what a classically conditioned Pavlovian dog I am!

Exactly Bob. Since we are so conditioned to alcohol its hard to break the ties. I think i drank at pizza hut to make their pizza edible.

I remember they sell beer at the zoo, chucky cheese, six flags and just about everywhere. Why did i need to drink a beer at zoo. Just because i could. When i was a child at the zoo i enjoyed it without drinking beer.

I am beating the carr book onto my head. His book is making sense to me. Alcohol is an unnatural posion that is not intended for use.

It causes deydration and the numbs inhibitions and decision making. So.we keep going back for another. I will say besides minor disagrements he really makes the most rational points. I have read some other big name recovery books like the passages malibu and Clean by david Sheff. Since i was sober but not commited i am going to read them again. I had my blinders on.

His book breaks this done so simply just need to follow the rules. We are missing nothing from drinking.

Have a great day!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Checking in.

The AV has been giving me a run for the money. Yesterday was crappy--AV kept buzzing like an annoying mosquito. Wanted to slap it- splat! I managed to get through the day though. Today is slightly better, still in an irritated state of mind, but not like yesterday.

Holds, I hope you're feeling better.
Hang in there everyone.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
The AV has been giving me a run for the money. .
Me too today. I was really tired and that made me vulnerable. I had to flip the switch and turn my brain off and just stick to my routine. I'm remembering the AV is not a passive thing. It needs spoken words in your head to persuade you. I was able to just blank it, stop the internal dialogue.

I'm remembering that its normal to not have good days every day and a not so good day is no reason to drink.

Good night all.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Yes, that's true. My AV has been playing up too. Soldiering on.....