Notices

Class of August 2015 Pt 2

Old 08-09-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I want to go get some vitamin A today but I'm not sure what to get. Will somebody assist me please.

I'm also gonna' get some Milk Thistle and Turmeric to assist my liver in repairing itself.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning! Day 9! You're doing great class! Everyone is so smart. Knowing about AV, BHALT, other triggers - trying to escape, thinking it will be more fun, etc. Let's make everyday a great day and remember making a fool of yourself, being mean to people, arguing, being tired and hungover, hurting your body, are all not part of that plan! Have a great Sunday!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone! Here I am, wide awake before 6am on a Sunday, something I never could manage before. I'm awake because I went to bed early last night since I wasn't up all night destroying my liver with drink.

Not being hungover makes for a more pleasant morning. Going to go for another 24 hours without alcohol. How about you?

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well done on day 3 and not drinking at the party's, that's tough! the first few days can be the hardest so keep close to here,

QUOTE=igraham73;5503166]Morning All, this is my 3rd day sober, went to a family party yesterday and it was so tough not to revert to old habits. Felt very quiet and withdrawn. Felt angry as well. I didn't drink just lots of coffee and water. Head feels so messed up today though. Its almost like I don't know where I start and the booze stops, such a part of who I was.
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bexxed I can't remember if I read that, one read so many this year!! My LAST blackout was in December. Never again.
It's a month today for me, had a wobble this morning, planning to drink later...so I took my ass off on a long walk and now I'm out to lunch with a massive soda and lime & the AV has ****** off!!
X
Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So true! I was mid pity BHAKLT party this morning but luckily snapped out pretty pronto!

QUOTE=PHRD;5503424]Good morning! Day 9! You're doing great class! Everyone is so smart. Knowing about AV, BHALT, other triggers - trying to escape, thinking it will be more fun, etc. Let's make everyday a great day and remember making a fool of yourself, being mean to people, arguing, being tired and hungover, hurting your body, are all not part of that plan! Have a great Sunday![/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

K? Sorry on iPhone...K for a Freudian slip Kranky perhaps
Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I haven't been on this thread much but wanted to say I'm still here! Hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome soberella

Congrats retread, bezel, already inuse,, bbg, love hoops and all of my other sober friends in this thread. Together we can do this!

Feeling pretty good today. Last night I got a full 8 hours of sleep for the first time in years and it's also the first night I haven't soaked my pjs and sheets in sweat. Progress! I hope I can stay strong today and keep this good feeling going! has anyone notivpced the sweat more in general when they get sober? How long does this take to stop? I'm so tired of smelling sweaty through my deodorant.

Lilly: I definitely learned a lesson last night. I won't be going to that grocery store again. The eggs are right by the beer and wine. No good.
Bexxed: that book sounds fantastic. I've added it to my reading list. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi MerryRecluse.

Yeah, the sweating is completely normal during withdrawals / initial sobriety. Your liver controls your body temperature, and it's a little out of whack right now.

As for how long it lasts, it differs from person to person. For myself, it's generally about 5 days, and I'll begin seeing a noticeable difference, then it continues to dissipate after that. Not sure how true this is, but I've heard forced sweating (ie. sauna) can help speed up the process to get rid of the sweats. I do it myself, but that's because it's easy for me -- my entire yard is a sauna, so I just sit outside with a cup of tea.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
OX

Morning on day 9. Reading along and rootin for you. Had time in the woods with house guests. There was too much drinking and even a dangerous family argument. Even the kid (18) was drinking and smoking the p*t. I had this week earmarked to smoke some too, before deciding enough, but got tipped that I'm going getting tested next week. I coulda gone in early but decided to let it help me stay clean.
Man I hate booze and how much my loved one drinks.
Bexxed, I've read the free sample of blackout after hearing the author interviewed on NPR. I'll probably get it when I finish "beyond the influence". It's a book on booze I heard recommended on a sobriety podcast.

Had a ten mile hike in the woods before the scotch fueled family fight. Scenery was beautiful. Will probably do something fun today now that people are kinda getting along. I had to play dr. Phill. Not fun! One week is too long to stay at a distant cousins house people.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

thanks for the many insights...it is great knowing that others share the same struggles and get through them. Day 2 for me and feeling optimistic
Old 08-09-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So Dr Phil, did any of your family take ownership lol ;-) That hike sounds heavenly.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

As my user name suggests I love books.

I have not read Sarah Hepola's "Blackout: Remembering the things I Drank To Forget".

Thanks for recommending it!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
As my user name suggests I love books.

I have not read Sarah Hepola's "Blackout: Remembering the things I Drank To Forget".

Thanks for recommending it!
I heard part of the NPR interview with her and the book sounds intriguing. I want to read it, as well. Maybe we should start the Class of August book club
Old 08-09-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 7.

Survived family wedding last night. Anxiety pretty intense. But I made it. Feeling good. Sleep is incredibly good now that I'm not going to bed wasted.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post
I heard part of the NPR interview with her and the book sounds intriguing. I want to read it, as well. Maybe we should start the Class of August book club
We can do that - there is a Book Club in the Social Groups. :-)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Smile

Just checked my kindle, it was the second last book I read. I read so much this year (17 alcohol related books)it became quite the addiction funnily enough. The only actual hard copy book I bought and loved was Drinking, A Love Story by Caroline Knapp. It really resonated with me.

The first book I read was Dry by Augusten Burroughs. It was very different but fast paced and taught me a lot about relapses etc. I'd love to read more about recovery so I'm finding myself watching many Ted Talks instead.
I'd be up for the August book club!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
OX

Originally Posted by alreadyinuse View Post
So Dr Phil, did any of your family take ownership lol ;-) That hike sounds heavenly.
There were a few apologies in the morning when I pointed up the road "that way is home, the other way is adventure, right now I'm going home if there is no reconciliation." I shouldn't use quotes cause I sounded nothing like that -- it was before coffee and a hefty out of canyon hike. But things are ok.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I didn't mean to make light of the situation but glad to hear there were apologies. I'm from a big family and in the past even when drinking I avoided drinking when with them.
Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
There were a few apologies in the morning when I pointed up the road "that way is home, the other way is adventure, right now I'm going home if there is no reconciliation." I shouldn't use quotes cause I sounded nothing like that -- it was before coffee and a hefty out of canyon hike. But things are ok.