Notices

Class of August 2015 Pt 2

Old 08-12-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hello BlackSabbath! You'll find plenty of help here! I am a mother but I was a very young mother of three. My kids are all grown but still live at home. My youngest is a senior in highschool. Um again I was a very young Mom. Hard but now I'm glad. I'll have many years left to spend with them before I leave this place. Today I'm not feeling like "I want to die". I'm so thankful of how much I want to live!
Johnt99 I can relate to your lake trigger. Mine is one in the same. We went for the weekend. I am now day 23 and yes it was hard. We went to the dam that's known as party cove. We swam for a while and I watched people (all drinking!) n bewilderment almost. I used to act like that and why?! What the hell was I thinking? Some friends showed up and I told my husband I was too young in my sobriety to deal with that so he got me out of there. Thank God he understands and says he don't need alcohol, only me. We find strength in numbers. I can't have not even one sip of a beer or I am right back to square one. I'm fighting through it. It will get better I know it will! ((It already has I just have to take a moment a look))
Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

So glad your husband is being supportive Key.

Aww Troy one of mine has separation anxiety too. Only with me though anyone else can leave he was always fine. When I did live with other people though if I left no matter who was home he would pine the whole time. Real full on howls and he wouldn't let anyone comfort him. With no one else here now I won't know if he still does it unless the neighbors complain. It seems likely though he has always been clingy. Yet he was the one less bothered by storms. Did often have nightmares though. Yep they are small doggies but don't tell them that they think they are big and tough.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Be glad when the terrible ride is over. Sore, bad dreams, really angry and emotional. Memory loss is something I notice when mulling over the past jobs I lost because of drinking.
What damage we do from this ! I hope I remember this post the next time I want to drink. Someone PLEASE remind me. I think that's a trigger : memory loss that I don't recall how bad this recovery is for us.
Day whatever- doesn't matter. Day 2 of 4 at the road dept job. Hurtin is all I know.
Hoping others might be having a better wed morning (or evening-location)
Old 08-12-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Good morning all..
Lots to catch up on. Welcome andy and black sabbath!
It seems we are all still struggling with the "emotional hangover" that comes with putting down the drink. I am too. Each day I think it's gets better but then some other problem gets me way down. When I look at it, it's not any BIG problem. It's just life's problems and day to day happenings that I have been too drunk to realize. A friend who had many years of sobriety once said to me..."I'm now available to participate in life and whatever it brings"
I've been trying to remember that as I struggle day to day.

I wish you all a sober Wednesday. Stay strong...we can do this!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

We will get there JL. It will take time but at least this way there is hope of feeling better. We are so used to taking a quick fix that actually makes everything worse. I guess we need to learn patience.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Good morning everyone. Day 11.

I guess it's true what people say about days 8-12 being hard (at least it is for me) -- yesterday I had some cravings, but I watched them and remembered why I can't drink, and they went away.

I have a calendar by my back door, and I have some star stickers; I get to put a star on the calendar each day I don't drink. It sounds silly, but I look forward to being able to add a star, and looking at the row of stars makes me happy and reminds me why I am doing this.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Troy,
Good to hear some feeling better going for you.
Ditz, love the "fog"!
Made me grin.
I'm not grinning so much past 2 days
Old 08-12-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Welcome blacksabbath! I think being a mom is hard. Being a good mom is really hard! Looks like you've got great focus!

Andy, I admire you. I have 3 kids, 2 in college and 1 just graduated. I think that alcohol use at US Universities is pretty messed up right now. You deserve BIG congrats for facing this issue head on and fixing it now. I hope this class can help you reach your goal.

Have a great Wednesday class.

Last edited by benice; 08-12-2015 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Edit: Andy, I guess I assumed you are a college student. Is that correct?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
We will get there JL. It will take time but at least this way there is hope of feeling better. We are so used to taking a quick fix that actually makes everything worse. I guess we need to learn patience.
Oh God..the dreaded word of patience.. I have never had patience. I won't pray for it because Ive heard it's a hard lesson if you pray for it. Maybe, now thinking about it, I'm already being taught patience...it's called alcoholism. Wow. Deep and I didn't even have my waders on for that one...lol
Thanks for that insight that just happened!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Whew, patience. My cup is low.
I'll not pray for it either though, lol !
Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Be glad when the terrible ride is over. Sore, bad dreams, really angry and emotional. Memory loss is something I notice when mulling over the past jobs I lost because of drinking.
What damage we do from this ! I hope I remember this post the next time I want to drink. Someone PLEASE remind me. I think that's a trigger : memory loss that I don't recall how bad this recovery is for us.
Day whatever- doesn't matter. Day 2 of 4 at the road dept job. Hurtin is all I know.
Hoping others might be having a better wed morning (or evening-location)
Just wanting to give you some words of encouragement here. I too still feel like I am on a roller coaster ride of emotions. It happens without warning and it dips down and this feeling of disgust, not worthy of, anger, sometimes resentment too creep in. I swear I just have to finally slap myself and say "Stop that!" I'm thinking it's probably normal. Guess maybe this is what they call "stinking thinking" in AA and Al-anon. Maybe it's part of our human nature. We are just honest about it..((hug)) hope it gets better as the day goes! Hang in there!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Oh I am extremely impatient too. Doesn't make it wrong that, that is what we need though. If there was a quick fix no one would have a drink problem I guess.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I formally, on day 4, join the crazy dreams club. CDC (not center for disease control,lol). I really wonder what the brain is doing at these times? Brain dumping? Reconnecting? Several last night were worthy of Academy Award nominations. lol
In general, now that I am up, this is by far the best I have felt of the four days.

And those of you, who like me, keep relapsing over and over, I really do believe now in the "kindling effect." Each time is worse and worse. Just my own $.02 I gotta stop this once and for all and never fall under the lie that I can drink normally again. Instead of sad, for once I feel kinda liberated.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

day 5. every day I read all of your posts for encouragement. Keep reminding yourself that life is getting better. One thing I have noticed is that my kids (young adults home from university) are all noticeably happier when I am not drinking. they talk more and laugh more...it is worth perservering through these tough days.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Thanks, Swift. Somehow I always forget that sobriety is a process and a journey, not a destination.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Thank you Key !
Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just another quick drop-in from the Class of May 2015. You guys are doing great! So cool to see you forming such a sympathetic, supportive group together.

Stick with sobriety. I promise it gets better with time. Day 97 here and I'm discovering new little joys in recovery each and every day.

Don't quit just before the miracle happens, and remember you do not have to take that first drink today no matter what!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Day 5. Last night was the first night that felt actually restful. Hoping I'm able to focus and be more productive today.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I don't have much to say today... worked really late last night (I knew that was going to happen) and have to work today too, but am looking forward to a minor league baseball game tonight.

I get paid twice a month, on the first day and on the 15th. So last night I was checking in on my bank statements online. I get paid really well, for me. Well, for a lot of people, I have a good, comfortable income. But I always seem to be able to go through it. I don't end up in trouble, I just never seem to jump ahead. Well, I'm ashamed to give the dollar amount, but dang! It looks like I was spending a crazy amount of money on booze. Because my bank balance is way over what it usually is just before payday. It almost looks like I have spent like, next to nothing. Then I thought about it, and it's true. I've been eating at home and drinking water. Oh, and coffee, that I make at home. This is AMAZING.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hiday classmates. Day 9 for me. I slept really, really well last night. Feeling very good. I'm gonna' venture outside the apartment today. Only the 3rd time since the beginning. Just a little apprehensive.