Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 43

Old 08-15-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Morning, Sass! Lazy & quiet sounds delightful. Still having warm weather??

We have a fishing tournament this afternoon. I'll be there for support but I hope no one thinks I'm going to actually touch a fish!

Want to share that I lost 10 lbs since I started my fitness program. It's a big deal to me because I didn't eat when I drank and if anything I was too thin. I've packed on the pounds the last few years so I'm happy to get some control of it. And I really believe it helped with the A/D withdrawals and getting and hopefully staying off of them.

On that note I'm off for a run! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Duff, yes, it's quite warm here. Great that you've been working on fitness. As usual, I'm a bit slow out of the gate but plan to crank it up :-)
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a day out of spring. A little chilly breeze snuck up a few minutes ago but it was glorious earlier this morning and lovely at the Farmers Market. The winter strawberries are full of scent and flavour and the blueberries have just started.

Duff good for you on those 10lbs. I remember you saying that you were too thin when you drank so. even if you put on a little after stopping, it's good that you can get your weight to where you want. I need to shift a few pounds myself, I'm increasing the exercise now that the days are a little longer.

I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend at home after the last couple of frantic weeks. This afternoon we need to take down the big exhibition Mr Marshall organised, then my time is my own. I've just started a little cotton cardigan for a baby to be born in October -- the first for two of my dearest friends.

Have a good weekend peeps.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Enjoy those quiet weekends

Well done on the weight loss duff, I have managed to maintain my lower weight with my fitness routine. We go on holiday in 2 weeks and I would like to shed a few extra pounds before then so cutting out the crap as of this week!

We went to see a comedian last night, the theatre allows you to take drinks into the auditorium. A few rows in front of us a couple sat down with Two drinks each a beer and a short, obviously having invited at the bar as well. At the intermission, the girl was staggering trying to get to the ladies and when she came back we watched her stand in the foyer trying to organise her balance before walking back to her seat. Her boyfriend then proceeded to record the show on his mobile causing the staff to keep flasjphing torches at him. Eventually another member of the audience threatened him with GBH if he didn't put the 'f¥cking thing away' . All I could think was how glad I was that I no longer got into that kind of mess! I drove back so hubby could drink and he had a couple with the meal but nothing after that. Lordy if it was me with free rein to drink I would so have been as hot mess as that girl! ( how was the show? Er, great? Don't remember much but I laughed a lot.... Many memories like that. What a shame. Now I go and enjoy it and I remember it!!)
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Toots re your story about the auditorium: during our 2005 trip to the UK we went to "The Mousetrap" at the ? theatre in London. Fabulous and the tiny theatre was wonderful! Fortunately I hadn't had my snout in the trough beforehand but I remember being amazed that you could not only get a drink at intermission (not always the case here) but you could take it back to your seat!

I'm glad those days are over.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Oh yes! Me too. So many wasted nights - that weren't cheap either! Concerts I'd been dying to see, comedy shows, Broadway shows, sporting events...the list goes on and on...

Sad to see it on other people now, though, isn't it? A relief for sure, but it always makes me sad.

Glad you enjoyed the show, Toots!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, what a weekend.

I get to my folks house yesterday to find the usual, not unwelcome, sonnydoit list of tasks. They had repainted the kitchen and breakfast nook, and admirably decided to be thorough and replace all the hardware, switches, outlets, and plates. Remove and repaint all the doors. Oh, "And we have a new ceiling fan for our bedroom. The old one squeaks."

I don't mind helping, didn't mind doing it all. Saturday night we cooked a big BBQ chicken dinner (God Bless Johnny Harris!) with grilled eggplant, onions, and squashes.

Before all this, and with conversations and phone calls to weave through the whole weekend: my rehabilitated heroin addict BIL is back on all the substances. And left my sister. He went to Atlanta to party for the weekend. Had burnt $500 out of their joint account in one night before she got him cut off. Still AWOL. He's supposed to resume his graduate studies tomorrow. They were, now she is, closing on a house at the end of the month.

I would like to throw my shovel in the truck and find his sorry ass.

How was your weekend?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Trachy, sounds like a part good part bad weekend. Glad you got to spend time with your folks but sorry to hear about your BIL's situation which is, of course, also your sister's problem. Addiction is a b*tch!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Wow Trachy, that's awful for your sister! Can she back out of the escrow? Better now than after closing, but what a tough one. Thoughts to out to her and you... And hopefully bil sobers up again...

Duff, congrats on your weight loss!! I have to get off the just got married I'll eat what I want diet! I can't do another whole30 without housing all up in the air, but I can stop the sugar and move more...

J just got to England, spent the day with her mummy and all is good. I join them in a week. I had a crazy week at work and realized there wasn't anything holding me from camping for the weekend, so here I am. spent the day in the river, now I'm chillin by the fire.

Had an interesting experience today. When I camp solo, it's almost a silent retreat for me. I don't play any radio, I don't talk unless I have to. I practically meditated al day. I stopped at a little gravel beach for lunch. It's river etiquette to pass an occupied beach and stop at another one if you want to stop, there are a lot of little beaches. Well one huge gaggle of peoe didn't get the memo. Well they if ores the memo. I had just gotten settled any gotten my lunch all unpacked when these really LOUD people all got out of their boats on this little beach. One dude almost hit me with his canoe. I thought "ok, it would have been nice if they had left me alone and gone to the next (larger) beach, but I'm going to enjoy my lunch it's ok. Then they started yelling, blaring their radio, smoking a foot from me, and I was letting their dog to keep him away from my goat cheese long before they noticed their dog had walked away. I started to get angry, almost said something to them. But would me pointing out what stinkers they were really change anything? Nope!

So... I calmly packed my lunch as though I was finishing up, wished them a nice day and paddled on. And found a nicer, quiet beach that stayed quiet. It dawned on me that I'm perfectly capable of creating my own peace.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

She's going ahead with the house. She can afford it alone and getting out of their previously shared space will be good for her.

Good to hear another solo camper on the boards. I car camp in remote places, dayhike, and backpack solo often. Once went three days without seeing another person. I didn't think about it until you said it but, I can go hours and days without a word spoken. I's like giving yourself up to the natural world. What's that word? Inundation? Totally immersed in your surroundings. Bliss.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

That peace is wonderful, WeHav and Trach. You guys describe it well. WeHav, I'm glad you didn't let the rude people get to you.

I'm very sorry about your BIL, Trach. How is your sister doing?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

She is ok.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Feeling for your sis Trachy, moving is stressful enough in itself without having to cope with the emotional fallout of hubby falling off the straight & narrow. I'm glad she has you at her back & im sure you will help her around the house when she moves .
Old 08-17-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I find that I have very little interest in school these days. It is hard to fit it in to my schedule anymore. I thought this class would be more interesting--and maybe it would have been a year ago--but right now I'm finding it irritating, like a fly buzzing around my head. Those old Hebrew classes are looking pretty good in comparison!

I wish I could quit, but I feel that that would be the wrong thing to do. I think it would be better to see the degree through to completion, even though I could not possibly care less whether I get it or not. I do better in managing life when my mind is occupied.

When I was struggling with Hebrew, I was going through the tough time with my dad and I thought, "If I can just push through this, courses will get better later on."

This one isn't getting better.

It is great to look back on the Hebrew challenge, knowing I pulled things out against all odds. But now that routine is getting old. How many times can you fake yourself out without losing interest in the drama?

I will just look forward to four weeks from now, when I write another paper. I honestly do love the research and creativity of writing papers. I even love documenting every reference. In fact, I especially love that: scoping out as many resources as I can find, and then picking really cool things and weaving them all together to form a compelling paper.

I guess that's the solution, just as it always is--I'll just put up with the stuff that is bogging me down and live for the paper!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a sunny Paradise. mr Marcher got a fairly good report from the doctor yesterday, not brilliant but goodish so we are moving on from the last hiccough.

Trachy I'm glad your sister has you on her side, at the moment.

Gilmer maybe rethink the study? You said you love the research and the writing -- does this hint at something you'd really like to do, more than what you are doing at the moment? If you could study anything...any way ... what would it be and how would you do it?

Have a good day peeps.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

That's a good question. I really thought this was it!

I'm glad Mr. Marcher is OK. Hopefully he will continue to improve.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Marcher, glad mr. Mac her is getting better!

Gilmer, live for the paper? Wow that's not something you hear every day... Lol. I had a class that made me drop my double major at the eleventh hour... Marine phycology. It was botany and marine biology at the same time, I thought I'd love it! It sucked. That's why I now only have the one degree. Are you interested in library science, or straight up research?

Toots, whasssuuupppp?

Trachy, I think you and I are cut from the same cloth, man. Except for the gun bit . The only thing that has ever brought me back from a camping trip is the need to go back to work. Mrs. Wehav thinks it's kind of odd that I like to go solo so much. I just really dig the meditative aspect, and get some kind of weird joy from knowing everything I need is in my car or on my back. I gotta get back into backpacking... Sounds like the house timing couldn't be better for your sister then. Sending her virtual hugs to get through all of this. Do they have any kids?

Well, the house went on the market today! We have our eye on another house, but can't look in earnest until j and I get back from England in three weeks though so we aren't getting attached. We have odd space requirements, since it's me and j and js housemate (yep we formed a commune, lol. We are like a strange little family.) so we need our space and a space that's hers. Your traditional all the bedrooms all together thing isn't going to be so great for us. And m works from home, so by law she needs a home office that isn't her bedroom. The place we checked out has a master bedroom upstairs and two bedrooms downstairs!

So here's to hoping this place is for us and is still open when we get back, or something else that fits like this comes open and we dig it!

This is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I have no idea about library science--and even less of an idea about what research needs there are and how one would break into the business:

"Hi. I'm here to write papers! Give me money!"

My son-in-law writes proposals. He says it is relentless, soul-draining work that is a lot more than 40 hours a week!

I'll just be like Scarlett O'Hara and say, "Tomorrow is a new day." I'll go to bed in a few minutes, then wake up (hopefully) at 3 to get some serious work done!

(Starting tomorrow morning I have to watch my grandkids for two days, so I might as well kiss those days goodbye as far as work goes!)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes wehav

D
Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Thanks dee!