Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 43

Old 09-18-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

It's great that the day is coming soon that you will finally make the break! Pretty funny how deluded they are about finding an easy replacement for you! Oh, well--what a pity!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Marcher, what did you find out about the mammogram?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Toots, I'm not on Facebook. Please send Shoes my finest regards! I miss her and I'm sorry she's gone!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers What fun to see a selfie from Gilmer and Sass! I tell you what that is a pretty unforgiving angle and neither of you looks anything like the age you claim to be, you both have the loveliest complexions. When we were in the UK I could not believe how beautiful -- in general --Brit women's skin was, here in Australia most of us are pretty sun damaged by 40.

No news on the test front from me and I didn't expect it before Monday (our time) at the earliest. I'm not working myself into a lather because no matter what I do worry-wise the result is going to be whatever it is.

My young friend's husband is home so you an imagine her relief. I'm actually more concerned than ever because, for a variety of reasons, I think he walked out of the hospital instead of being released by the doctors. He's declaring that such a thing won't happen again, something I know I've said in the past and it didn't necessarily mean anything.

Anyway it's the weekend: have a good one peeps.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey guys

Budd, hubby is just away to change jobs and usually the company he works with would leave it til the last minute. When we left the states they had to get 2 guys to cover his workload! This time they actually had someone able to sp up to the plate and us just having 2 weeks holiday gave the perfect opportunity for the guy to take over early. I hope your drive goes aka you, it's amazing the fuel you can save by driving at a steady 50 and preparing in advance so you don't need to break, just ease off the gas and slow that way.

Marcher even though I laid out in the sun on holiday, I slathered myself in a good quality factor 50 and never spent more than an hour or so in direct sunlight before moving into the shade. I am so glad nowadays we have access to high factor sun creams. I love your attitude to the test results, I have reached the same state of equilibrium with things like that; why worry, it'll happen or it won't, worrying doesn't change the result!. Fingers and everything else crossed for you though.
I also hope that your friends husband is willing to be proactive to ensure he doesn't repeat his hospital stay- or worse - perhaps it did scare him straight.

Gilmer, Sass love the piccy! Now if we ever cross paths I could say ' not sure I recognise the face.....but I'd know those nostrils anywhere'!! Lol

All ok in Tokotsville, had to go back to the dentist yesterday, am a complete wimp with anything to do with the nerves so she had to inject me before do anything as my tooth was so sensitive. Anyhoo she has reworked part of it so here's hoping. The pain was taking all the pleasure out of eating, and now that eating is about my only pleasure...... I was in danger of getting sad!

Happy weekend all x
Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Toots de Sweet I am the same wimp when it comes to dentists, you have my total empathy.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gilmer and Sass - I'd 'nose' you anywhere....

D
Old 09-19-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Old 09-19-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Dee, that is a big double .

Toots, sorry about the tooth!

Budd, employers and bosses always seem to underestimate what it takes to do/learn something. Not much you can do about it! You'll be sorely missed after you're gone but you won't hear about it. Just focus on your new home, job and all that good stuff with Max and Jezzie

Marcher, I hope your friend's husband does ok.

Have a lovely weekend, Marchers!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

You, too, Sass!
Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
You, too, Sass!
And of course you, too, my dear Gilmer :-)
Old 09-19-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Dee, that is a big double .

lol
D
Old 09-19-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Ha ha, Dee
Old 09-19-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a superb day in Paradise, sunshine, blue skies and 21C, it doesn't get much better than that. We are back from the Farmers Market with the first asparagus of the season! I love the skinny little stalks you get at the market rather than the big fat ones from the shops. The blueberries are also in season although the big commercial crop was half wiped out last week in a violent hailstorm, the apples and mandarins are at the end of their season but still good.

Fruit bread and a regular wholemeal loaf are on the rise and if anyone fancies some strawberry chia loaf, pop on over.

Ken how's the packing up going? I hope you've got Max well prepared for the journey, how does he feel about a few days in the car?

Toots I hope you are feeling better with that tooth.

Have a good weekend all.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Ok. All caught up. Finally!

Joy - Good luck with the yoga. My sponsor is actually a yoga teacher on the side, which is hilarious because he is a 6'4" tall black guy built like a linebacker who still bounces clubs on the weekends. He keeps trying to get me to go, but I am so uncoordinated and I'm afraid I'll mess up my hips.

Gilmer - For the first two years of my sobriety, I didn't cook with wine. For me, cooking with wine used to be, add 4 ounces to the dish and drink the rest of the bottle as a warm up for the hard stuff. But actually eating food with cooked alcohol was never a trigger. So I tried all the substitutes: diluted vinegar, chicken stock, grape juice, etc. Nothing was as good as the real thing. But back in January, I started doing the food delivery service thing, and some of the recipes have wine. I like how the send me the pre-measured amount in a tiny little medicine bottle. There is no temptation to drink 2 ounces of cooking wine, so it works for me. Could I go into a liquor store (as you know, they don't sell wine in the grocery store here in PA), buy a bottle, cook with it and pour the rest out without drinking? Yes. Would it make me uncomfortable doing the above? Most definitely. Maybe when I move in with my girlfriend in November, she will handle your husband's wine measuring duties lol.

Ken - good luck with the move! I'll be in Memphis in October and November for work. Don't know how far that is from where you'll be living.

Toots and Wehav - glad you enjoyed your vacations!

We - sucks about your neighbor. I've sponsored several guys and sometimes they just aren't ready. Nothing I can do about it. The guy I'm currently sponsoring won't call me and hasn't for three weeks now. Haven't seen him at a meeting either. Oh well. I can only lead a horse to water. One thing I do up front is to set clear boundaries. I do not allow a sponsee in my apartment until they have a year sober. We only meet in public. I tell them what I do for a living but not where I work.

So are you going to in-person AA meetings now? I'm traveling to Findlay Ohio some time in the next month or two, so I'll be checking out some Ohio AA.

Marcher - here's hoping for good news on your medical tests.

North - congrats on 25 years with your hubby!

Love to Duff, Sass Trachy, Shoes, Dee and anyone else I forgot.

Work is getting really hectic. I'm working all weekend. Then I'm jumping on a plane Monday to Phoenix. The following week I'll be in LA. Then it's off to Michigan and Oklahoma.

The Pope is here next weekend. I'll be staying in New Jersey with my girlfriend. My apartment is in the "security zone." They're erecting fences with metal detectors so I'd have to go through a checkpoint just to get into my place. Not dealing with that. My office is closed Friday and Monday so everyone is working from home anyway.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Wow diggie, that's a great update! Glad you and gf are doing so well! I heard about all the security craziness on the radio. I had a layover in Philly and the airport had all sorts of pope stuff for sale, I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting anything. Gotta love a little pope bling...

Marcher, still sending you good thoughts.

C update: this disease really really sucks. This evening I came downstairs to j talking to him outside again. I could tell it was another quack fest. I took a moment to ready myself, and looked up an aa meeting for the night.

He's end stage. It's not pretty. We talked and he's all over the place. He gets philosophical, angry, depressed, rants all in 5 minutes. It's like talking to pure insanity. I drove us to the meeting, j came too. Her very first meeting (it was open).

It was a vey good meeting. Everybody knew c. On the way, he told me he's been kicked out of many meetings over the years. That seemed odd to me, but I think I saw why. He tries to start side convos in shares and gets a little belligerent. You could see everyone trying to ignore it 'cause they knew he needed that meeting.

Well in all the hanging out and the meeting, and talking to an old timer after, he pretty much sobered up. I tried to get him to let me take him to the hospital for detox. We sat with him for hours. We sat in my car. Even though he said to take him home, I drove to the hospital and sat in the lot there for a while in case he changed his mind. Nope.

The old timer after the meeting told me that I can try to help c, but he has the right to die. That was hard to hea but true. I tried to get him the help he needs. He knows it was a turning point. He knows that I've set more boundaries. I told him that if he chooses to get help, I'll take him to the hospital any time. But if he chooses not to help himself, not to count on me talking to him. He knows how I feel about his choice. I broke down and cried. Didn't mean to, but couldn't help it. I told him that I can't watch him kill himself so I won't be spending time with him if he stays on this path. I don't know what else to do.

I talked to my sponsor and sober buddies I talk to in real life, but could use still use more cyber hugs. And prayers for c.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is hard to hear wehav, and I still struggle with that myself, but the old timer is right.

Sounds like you've made a healthy decision for yourself too

D
Old 09-20-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

DD how good to see you!

We I know how you are feeling sweetie. This won't help with C but your beanie is done kiddo, I hope that it gives you a smile. I'll post it off when I have done Trachy's, I want to send them at the same time.

Trachy: I cast on your beanie tonight. Since you said you had a "big head" I cast on a few extra stitches and, as I know you camp out, I thought you'd want a hat that blended into the environment, therefore I will join the stitches in the daylight tomorrow since there are a lot there and it's a pretty dark beanie. I hope the whole thing doesn't fall down to your chin!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

(((We))), sending prayers! I agree with Dee and the old-timer. You've done everything you can and it may be best for you to disengage - and it sounds like that is what you are trying to do. At times like that I tend to feel like just one more try will do it but that can be wishful thinking. You are a very caring person and this is very hard stuff that hits close to home because of our own past drinking.

Marcher, I'd love to come over to sample some strawberry chia loaf! And more important, to finally meet you :-). Happy to hear you are having a beautiful day.

Diggie, always good to hear from you!

Toots, how is the tooth?

Cheers to all!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi gang. Caught up to the busyness here. Lot's of good stuff going on. Some sadness, too. Life is like that, isn't it?

Budd, I'm joining you in the moving. This apartment is taking up more of my budget than I want. So, while I'm looking for a better job(preferably closer to the parents) I'm also looking for cheaper local digs. The place I work is not going to grow to my potential and needs so, time to get motivated.

I can't wait, Marcher! And don't make We wait for mine to be finished. Unless it's a long walk to the post office, uphill both ways through heavy snow.