Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 18

Old 08-02-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I think the house is still okay, V. Last I heard, the house is just south of the fire which keeps moving north. We have been very lucky so far. I just really hope it doesn't change direction. I mean, last I heard it was about five miles away from the house. It could rip through five miles in a couple hours if the winds change.

Oh well, the only thing I can control is my response to whatever happens.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Undeterred, I had a good day. I think I’m channeling the nervous energy into productivity.

After my long walk, I whipped up some chocolate body butter:

It’s coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, and a great big chunk of an 85% dark chocolate bar. Melt, cool, whip, and slather yourself in chocolatey goodness. Also makes a great deep conditioning treatment for your hair, makeup remover, and butter for your toast. Truth.

Then my very greasy daughter and I went blackberry picking. She ate about a third of them, and here’s what was left:

So I did the obvious thing: pulverized them in the food processor, strained out the seeds, boiled down the juice and a little honey into a thick sauce, and put it over some vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup:

This after tri tip and garlic parmesan mashed potatoes for dinner. So yeah, life was pretty lush in the Briar house today.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

OH MY...that is all absolutely fabulous! Beyond even.
I want to eat the chocolate body butter... wouldn't mind trying it as a makeup remover as well. And I want the blackberries. And the ice cream and sauce.

You are just SO incredibly talented Briar.
If you want more work, you could start a YouTube blog...easily. Sigh.
I'm only a little jealous.

Off to eat now...nothing nearly so exciting, but my favourite. Poppy seed bagel with creamed cheese and smoked salmon.

I watched a news report about the fires...so I know how much worse it has gotten. Will keep praying.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Oh, how did the swimming lesson go?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks V, I think I just needed some pleasant distraction today. And trust me, my skills are nothing special. I've made some absolutely terrible things in my time.

But hey, I say screwing up and learning is better than not even trying. Although my husband, having witnessed many a kitchen disaster, may not completely agree.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Oh the swimming lesson was a huge hit! She's a natural swimmer, it's kind of amazing.

She sure didn't get that from me. If I happen to fall into a large body of water, I figure that's just how I'm meant to go.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Awesome little girl you have there...glad she loves swimming.

OK...going to need to step away from the keyboard now...smoked salmon and keyboards do not go well together.

Hi Dee.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good morning gang! Well, it is like having a new baby. Actually pup slept well overnight, but I was restless, listening for him. I heard a tiny whimper or few, and checked on him at 1:30 am. He would not go out but was a little happy to see me. I think he would be happier to see his foster mom. I could not get him to go out, or even come out of his crate, but he let me pat him, and chewed on me with affection for a bit then gave my hand a good tongue bath. I think he needed some reassurance.

I do not see any fleas, but that boy is scratching a lot this am, and was doing it in the night when I went to him. Hmmmm. The rescue society endorses all sorts of holistic care, including no flea and tick toxins, but a cedar oil spray. I admit we did not get a good spray on him yesterday. I don't find any fleas. Maybe he has bites, but no residents, or mosquito bites? So, I may need to call them to see what sort of herbal bath he will need if he has a few fleas, lol. I may ditch the holistic flea and tick business, if I see any critters on him. I once dealt with a flea infestation from my *indoor* cat. Got them from laying in the window sills, I presume. We had to bomb the whole house at least once. Ugh.

Another good reason for the crate training. The dog is presently in a rather limited area of the house. All in all a very good day for all yesterday! No howling overnight. Well, not from him. Only a pack of coyotes in the woods. I got maybe 2-3 hours sleep. New mommy issue.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Briar, those two concoctions look awesome! Such a visual treat too. You should do a food and photo blog! You take great images.

V, I want your bagel! Love smoked salmon, but prefer an everything bagel. But any good bagel will do. Is your cold better now?

I do think this puppy is a good sober tool. No way I would be here and cheerful right now if I had been drinking. Though I will need a nap. Glad we did this with kids home. Daughter was actually up 5:30 to check on him. I tried to go back to bed, but could tell it would not work. I will get an early walk in!

Where's Mark? First time ever I post before him in the morning.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Ha, I'm sitting here in shock to see your little green light on. I usually have my coffee with V's green light.

I'm glad the first evening went well. I like 'all natural' type things too....to a point. Sometimes some good old fashioned chemicals are called for. . Does he have much of an appetite? Seems as though you made a great decision for your flock (and you) by adding Huxley to the mix. How old is he?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

He is 4 months old. Which I think is too young for the big guns chemically, anyway. Maybe regular baths? Any flea advice? I do not see any on him. Maybe just has other bites. Tons of mosquitoes around here. I can call the shelter too, but not this early.

I also think I will work on convincing hubby to allow for a fenced area, not the entire yard, so he can have some free play space un-tethered. He had a great and eager dinner last night, has not finished his breakfast. I should take it up. been sitting. He eats 3 times a day. I could give him extra for lunch. So, a little nervous. We have had a few minor potty accidents. More about us not being fast enough. And so far, not in awful areas like our best rug.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

4 months...lots of puppy left in him. I think that's good. Potty accidents just part of it early on for sure, it's good y'all are all home to be quick and consistent with the training on that. Our back yard is fenced and I agree that time to play off-leash seems like a good idea.

Ok, sun about to come up.....another run this morning. My shoulder is so messed up. Hoping that a few days off will help it.

Hope you get that walk in with Huxley. Of course he'll probably potty 4 or 5 times then!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm all into holistic stuff, but as far as fleas go, I would be using the full-on chemical stuff. It is available for puppies as well. I use Revolution. It also does heartworm and other stuff.

I'm not feeling well. This is a lot more than a cold I guess. Ah well. What can you expect when you work outside in this kind of weather? Which I will be doing again tomorrow. Not fun, but I can do it.

Going to bed pretty soon.

Love to all of you. ♥
Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good night V,.......off to run.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hehe, Mark, the walks are not happening yet. He is too curious. 3 steps and sniff, 3 more, eat some bark mulch, then flop in the grass! I will have to walk alone for now.

Yeah, V, I may need to pick and choose my battles in chemichals. I signed a contract to uphold all this holistic stuff as best I can, but it was largely about over vaxing. They recommend titering the dog's blood before blindly re-doing all the shots on a regular basis. Many provide lifelong immunity, so it is just a money maker for vets and big pharma. All it takes is a simple blood draw to check if they have antiboides. If so, they don't need the vaccines. Rabies is the exception, but can drop to once every 3 years if kept current for the first year. need to check the details on that. I do know I need ot get that one for him in two weeks to be sure we do not lose that schedule that will allow us to do it less often. Apparently the lyme vaccine causes arthritis and that is what it should be preventing, in addition to other complications. She had a lot of info. Of course, as a medical person, I am pretty pro hum vaccinations. So, not sure how I feel about it all, but will see how the vet feels as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I would be picking and choosing my way with the ridiculous amount of vaccines they want to do as well. I do that myself. (And I worked at a major animal shelter for years). Only chemicals I insist upon for my cat are the flea and worm treatments.

Speaking of which, we are way overdue here. You have no idea how fast this fat cat will run if I take the Revolution packet out of the cupboard.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Made it though yesterday without a drink. Feel like my head is back in this to give it another go. I will be seeking out a therapist this week to help with the longevity of this. Will see how it goes. Thanks for the great support Briar, Mark, everyone else...

August is a new month. New start. Maybe a new class? Time to move forward...
Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

That's great Arbor love!
And the therapist is a really good idea...so glad you are taking this step.
And yes, August is a great time for a new start.

Love and goodnight. ♥
Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

You can be in two classes too, Arbor!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Right Phoebe. New puppy looks great btw. Nice new addition to the fam.