Notices

One Year & Over Part 28

Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I'm very tough and I have gone through a lot of bad things and remained stoic--but once in awhile when somebody goes out of their way to show kindness and mercy to me, I lose it. The emotion of profound gratitude gets to me much more than sadness.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Do your best

Toots I'm planning on doing another 2 tomorrow no pain no gain just blisters

My brother rang me up in a foul mood something about the phones yesterday he's lost all his numbers and photos and wanted to blame me by almost offering to fight I calmed him down but I wanted to slap him he was way rude at first

Then after that my dad drunk text me telling me to watch ch 8 I turned to see and it was a crappy gangster flick

During the flicking of TV channels I noticed the film warrior was on so I said to my dad watch it & I texted my brother the same

My dad then text me saying I know nothing about who he is and he's 7 days sober and just back from an aa mtn (thats an outright lie) I know he's drunk as I made sure when he was sober I said no late night drunk texts or calls I know 5000% he is drunk by his last reply

This is the 2nd time today something like this has happened i dont believe in coincidences now I just feel sad but the film has a good ending

I only hope my dad watched it

It's been a good but mostly bad day
Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Magsie

I understand you, Gilmer. We can be as tough as old boots, then just that one unexpected turn of events and we're marshmallow, temporarily.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Magsie

Wolfie, it's amazing how when we drank we thought we were convincing liars but we're so transparent to a sober person. Like you knowing your dad had been drinking. I'm so pleased we haven't that crutch anymore.

All this talk of you and toots doing exercise is making me tired, yawn. Time for bed, said zebbedee, do you remember that one!?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tomorrow is better for you SW

D
Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hi Overs,

Busy, busy day today? I've given up trying to respond to each of you when I there are so many posts, but will make a small attempt :-)

(((Itchy))), I hope the whole contractor thing gets cleared up very soon! I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with that. I have a Windows laptop with SSD and upgraded to Windows 10 recently - decidedly a non-event! Also have an iPad, an Android tablet, Android phone and who knows what else is buried in the depths . I finally got rid of most of my huge stash of cables! I have lost my edge on the hardware side. I started programming back in 1966 on a roomful of equipment with 4k of memory!

(((Wolfie))), I hope tomorrow is a better day for you! 'Family' can sometimes be a curse word.

Gilmer, sometimes we can anticipate the tough stuff but then we get caught by the unexpected good things. Happy the bank lady was thoughtful!

FBL, like the new avatar :-)

Hi RZ!

IP, sorry to hear about the job. You have a good attitude!

Hi Mags :-)

Toots, I get a hilarious picture of cat chasing dog plus another one of you walking with weights and the neighbors hanging over the fence watching and scratching heads.

Hi OLL :-)

Hi Dee!

Ok, that's it for today - brain going, going, gone!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Sleep tight, Sass!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Itch I'm anxious to hear how you made out with the contractor/inspection debacle.
IP I'm sorry you haven't heard back from the job prospects. I hope it just means something special is right around the corner for you.
Mags, I'm intrigued by all this make-it-happen talk!
Gilmer I was shaking my head in solemn understanding of how frustrating that situation was going but was so so glad you ended up catching a break!
Soberwolf, sorry you're having to deal with that family disruption. I hate how something like that is enough to ruin a perfectly good day, but I understand. I haven't gotten a drunk text from my dad in a good long time. I gave an ultimatum the last time he posted on my Facebook drunk. I don't know how he has restrained himself, it sure isn't sobriety, I know that. Anyways, hope the sadness subsides soon.
Hi Sas! I too have such a hard time responding individually. And then even when I do respond individually to some, I feel bad about those I didn't. Blah.
I had a nice time at my meeting last night. A good sober friend was there so I didn't have a lot of the social anxiety, just some. Meeting my sponsor this weekend to continue "the work." Otherwise just plugging along in the rest of life, and trying to remember to enjoy as much of it as I can remember to
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks everyone.
Although the thought that a good stiff drink would have tasted mighty good did cross my mind, that was not a craving just a 10 second self-pity party. Since they are absolutely loathsome to me when I catch myself throwing one, when I do they are over in short order.

All night I was starting to stress and get angry both of which feelings I can't control, only how I act on them. I knew if I went in hot, it might not cool down. If I went in cool I could escalate it if needed. So I worked on cool. Getting lawyers involved would only anger the contractors if they indeed were intentional, and if not cause them to sit it out and wait until they were forced to continue. So to avoid the delays and adversarial confrontation, I needed to give the owner a chance to find out what was going on and give him a chance to resolve it. But then this morning at about 11 their contact lady called me and tried to put it on me that homeowners must pull the permits when outside of the city limits. What? OK it became obvious that she was going to try to con me into accepting the mistake as mine. Maybe they can BS other regular folk, but I was a contractor and was the permit checker for our steel building construction company that I was executive VP for marketing, permits, and advertising including website and computer maintenance. One of my sheepskins is a BS in industrial engineering. I had to travel a 100 mile radius and deal with the permits and laws in three states we border and built in. So her manipulations were not gonna fly. I told her I would check with the parish engineer as the laws are the same now as five years ago, then come down and talk to the owner. So I call up the parish director of inspections and permits and check and sure enough they can pull the permit, no laws were changed. Her gambit blew up in her face because the way it works is the big boss owner uses another subcontractor to sub out all the utilities and dirt pads/concrete. But he is the boss and owner and the deal was his folks would draw all the permits and do all the utilities save one electric line that I contracted out for my second steel building that comes from the house electric meter. My big steel workshop building has its own electric meter. So once I was sure the laws were the same I went down and had a talk with the boss who said everything is fine and that she doesn't know what she is talking about. We had a nice visit and I called my wife and told her they have it covered and are dealing with any fines or issues the subcontractor caused by not pulling his permit.

Sum total for this episode of the roman coliseum gladiators, us 10, lions 0.

Had I gone in as a victim I would have fallen for the lady's BS. Had I gone in hot I would have lost my relationship with the owner, which thus far has been fantastic. So a good reminder to me to just go deal and freak or celebrate quietly later. I just never had an inspector come and catch me off guard when I was building because I exceed code, pull all permits, and invite inspections. I picked these guys to buy from because they are the best and proved it today. Seems what we had here was a failure to communicate. I learned a long time ago to adapt, improvise, and overcome in the military. So I reminded myself that they could not take away my last name, and could not eat me, so all they could do was not gonna make my life miserable.

The sudden rains have thrown all the contractor/builder schedules off completely. This is unusual. Today was 76 degrees with 95 yesterday and 95 tomorrow!

So thanks guys, I needed to rant with friends. That was the first crisis where I got blindsided by the inspector. I used to eat building inspectors for lunch by killing them with kindness. Or to put it in the 16th century English euphemisms used in the translations of the bible, wanted to tell them to go in, unto themselves. And begat around somewhere else. Just wanted to, never did. Inspectors are appointees and rarely engineers so they need to be handled gently. Small egos.

On the other hand, I have five more fingers!

I'm with you Mags,
Wolf and Toots are making me tired too. I might occasionally go look wistfully at my workout sculptures, for now. After I get my new cervical vertebrae and stabilize my four degenerated lumbar vertebrae, I believe I am healthy enough, and still young enough to work back down to a trim guy like when I was drinking and smoking three packs a day. All that is after the last part of this house project, moving all the stuff in from the other. If I hurt it they were gonna fix it anyway. I will be careful but gottta git r done. I will be fine.

Sas,
1966?? I was 14 and listening to these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billbo...ingles_of_1966

I didn't get into programming and then only basic in DOS and CP/M in the early 80's. I did electronics and hardware so have lost touch with it since I never learned COBOL or Fortran. I did get into HTML in the 90s. I couldn't remember my DOS commands or syntax if my life depended on it. I'm a user anymore, and also found Windows 10 not much of a challenge. But then I loved Win 8 and 8.1 because I early adopted touch Windows tablets. Not the RT ones, although I did buy the original Surface RT in Jan 2013. I got rid of it and went with the full OS tablets in 32 bit, and now 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM and only quad core Atom SoCs (Systems on a Chip) as they run great in quad core Z3700 series and now the x7-8700 series used in the new full Windows Surface tablets. My latest is an ASUS T200TAC hybrid tablet Ultrabook. OK enough.

Wolf,
Dude! You go man. Pump it up for me until I can too. I have maybe ten years to get fit for the rest of my life. Then it's all downhill from there. I did hire a decent Master electrician, a friend of mine to do the one line I was doing. He is the one who reported the violation.
Wolf I second what Mags said about how we fooled ourselves into thinking we got by when we drank.

IP,
kiddo you are onto the right outlook. Hang in there for your contract and get all the country you can. You'll miss it in the city. You went to Europe to live and prevailed. Back in our hemisphere you will go as far as you are ready to hunker down and do. Takes time. Take care from yourself.

OLL,
Thanks, I got it under control.

Gil,
Drinking wasn't a temptation. The thought was just a remembrance of the old ways and days not these days. I ate starlite mints instead!
I am so glad that the paperwork lady ended up taking care of you well. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by that inspector and I am tough. We all have our buttons that can be pushed.
RZ,
It was, it is and its getting done. No worries. Thanks bud.

FBL,
I chose to hold off on the lawyer and go up the civilian chain of command. It is actually cool here for one day, today, bracketed by mid 90s on Wednesday and Friday. Glad you guys are cooler too.

Yvonne Craig, nice avatar FBL. Just died at 78. I remember thinking she was soooo sexy. She was also on Star Trek:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Yvonne Craig.jpg (71.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Glad things worked out Itchy. As a property manager, I have seen my share of construction fiascoes.

All the exercising folks have me feeling the need to get back out. Been so dang busy with the upcoming music performance (another rehearsal tonight, one Sat with the orchestra and then Sunday's show) that I have not had the time to get out. Had to spend some time getting the new car registered and all that too. Today I had an audiologist appointment and that took forever. Soon your favorite duck will have hearing aids. I have had hearing loss for a long time due to an infection that damaged the nerves and little hair-like sensors that allow us to hear. It is now time for amplification. Hope it does't affect my singing.

Oh well.... looking forward to a car issue, Dr visit and annoyance free day tomorrow!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Drake,
good for you! I am waiting to see if the fluid will dry up eventually in my mastoids but it looks like that infection earlier this year took out about 50% of my hearing in my "good" ear. My bad one remains . . . bad! I am now having to ask folks to speak up a bit. If they stay fluid filled and the hearing does not come back I'll have to adjust. I'm really OK with my hearing just hated losing some more.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs, Friday, woopdewoop. Lol

Itchy, my man, coolasacucumber does it. That's how I like to perform too! Go in cool, couldn't do that when I'd had a skinful in the dark days. Lol.

Wolfie, hope you had a good nights sleep and you're rested.

OLL, I don't know but I haven't made any big decisions since getting sober and I've been treading water, learning to live sober and hopefully, recovery, too. Now, I'm fed up of work and stuff so, now I've gone through the thought process it will take care of itself, I've not to concern myself. These things have a way of happening!

Drake, you have some amazing hearing aids in your country, I don't think we can get them yet but you can get apps and they can control your gadgets. One of the ladies was talking about it a while ago, sounds fascinating,. Will you get something like that? If you wanna practice your singing on us, go ahead.

Breaking news, toots knocked two men off their feet, when questioned she said she was just power walking with her 2 ton wrist weights.

Itchy, there's nothing like a green woman, unless she's blue as in avatar the film, lol.

Hi Gilmer, now if someone does something nice for you, smile! Ok, a few tears too, good for you, too the tears have soothing properties which soak into your skin and calm us. Hence the have a good cry.

Well, I apologise if I've been a bit gobbledygook this morning. What can I say, life makes me like this sometimes. I wanna store it for the sadder, lower times.

Have a good Friday, friends.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go Itchy !

Mags my dad is 63 and I can't see him changing why he lied I don't know why he text drunk I don't know don't care maybe he feels the need to lie as I'm sober ?

My achilles are all blistered but I'm about to bandage my feet up and go again

Have a good day everyone
Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Magsie

I think when we drank we did lie automatically to try to cover up. Maybe that's what your dads doing without knowing even, Wolfie. Have a good walk.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Do your best

The walk was extended by a good bit this morning this winter I think I'm going to enjoy

Mags me and my father have a seriously strained relationship that I don't think will ever be resolved I've more than tried some things aren't meant to be

I'm not thinking about him now and I hope he leaves me alone

I'm feeling good about today & I'm loving my new Wayne Dyer book

Listening to Ben Howard's new album with headphones in

Itchy I'm sorry about your ear my ear has cleared up but my alopecia has returned nothing to worry about I have all apts set for next week as long as the paperwork goes through the dermatologist said there wasn't much of a wait so fingers crossed

Hello to all the overs
Old 08-21-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Drake, you have some amazing hearing aids in your country, I don't think we can get them yet but you can get apps and they can control your gadgets. One of the ladies was talking about it a while ago, sounds fascinating,. Will you get something like that? If you wanna practice your singing on us, go ahead.
I was told there are some that communicated with "Blue Tooth" and your phone. The calls and such go right to the hearing aid. I can imagine they may be out of my price range.

Amazing technology... but I can probably only afford an old fashioned ear trumpet.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Magsie

Amazing Drake. Technology, only should be cheaper!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wolfie, my sister-in-law used to drunk dial me quite often. I was usually drunk too, so I didn't mind it too much. I used to drunk-dial family members and then feel guilty about it the next morning, so I actually started unplugging my phone so I wouldn't do it anymore. Just one more example of how my life has now changed for the better sober.

Itch, glad you got things resolved and didn't have to "lawyer-up" the situation. I find that most people are basically reasonable if you give them a chance. I forgot that Yvonne Craig did a Star Trek episode. Batgirl was one of my earliest crushes as a child.

Another delightfully cool morning here today. Hopefully the heat and humidity have gone away for awhile.

Have a great Friday, gang!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

mags i love the marshmallow analogy
Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
I was told there are some that communicated with "Blue Tooth" and your phone. The calls and such go right to the hearing aid. I can imagine they may be out of my price range.

Amazing technology... but I can probably only afford an old fashioned ear trumpet.
Drake, I have a bluetooth "hearing assist device". They are much cheaper than regular hearing aids though are more for mild to moderate hearing loss. Mine was $300, bought via Internet - a lot less than the multi-thousand dollar variety!. It has 2 pieces - first is an earpiece that doubles as a Bluetooth headset for phone calls, and a small microphone. The mic is handy in 3 situations - 1) TV - place the mic near the TV and it then transmits the sound to the earpiece. This is great for those of us who have lost some hearing on the higher end of the range. 2) noisy places like restaurants - place mic on table facing the person talking. 3) attach a cord and ask speaker to hang it around their neck. I've been to events where a speaker has several of these devices around their neck :-)

This type of device is adjusted via a smartphone app. If interested, pm me and I'll send you the web address where I bought mine. It's from a company that also makes high-end hearing aids. It's probably not for Luddites!