Notices

One Year & Over Part 28

Old 08-11-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening overs
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Evening All! Good day today - busy at work and then busy working in the garden in the afternoon! Welcome Saskia
Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Thanks, feelingGood :-)
Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There really is a lot of good veggies and fruits being produced. It's sad how we all take for granted what we always had until we don't. My FIL always had a spectacular truck patch, which here in the Southern US means a largish garden. His was about 150 feet by 100 feet. He grew Rutabaga, Purple top turnips, Okra, Tomatoes, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Purple Hull Peas, Muscadyne Grapes, Figs, Giant Pears the size of a Grapefruit, Mustard Greens, Cucumbers, and other odds and ends. This year just the pears. With his wife terminal, and his mind failing along with his body, he won't be doing well at all. The family is doing all they can. My job is to stay here and deal with the construction and keep the RV and the pups in shape and cool. My SH is gone over there most of the time taking care of her mom, and having her last quality time with her. (For the newcomers, SH = Significant Harassment, my term of in-dear-meant that she likes, and is our backlash to all the insincere dear wife or dear husband bandied about the Internet) I'm fine with that and go over every few days to visit with MIL. She is so happy to see me, and was thrilled when both my boys, her grandsons, both flew down from Iowa and Colorado to visit with her a last time.

My job just got busier as the new house is being brought in tomorrow. I am so glad I custom ordered it with 2X6 walls floors and ceilings and polar insulation package. Looks like we will need it year round. So we should be moving in a few weeks from now.

Glee,
Managers are a necessary evil and use the resources, money, people, material. Leaders inspire. Sorry you have doubts about his/her motives. Perhaps asking directly and appropriately, offering to help if possible? I am retired precisely so I no longer have to suffer fools gladly, nor watch others doing the same.

Jon Stewart is no longer bringing me the news via "The Daily Show." His comedy took a backseat to his humanity showing through as he took on the right wingnuts. While his pretend news became real and built a following among the young and young at heart. I'm in the second group who miss him already. Meanwhile Faux news, who pretended to be news became a sick entertainment that titillates the nut jobs out into the open, and validates them!

Wolf,
I wondered if anyone caught that.

I am tired of camping out in the RV. Despite a nice new memory foam mattress, we both will be glad to get our bed and its gel foam mattress along with a full size office. Traveling a fifth wheel is a palace on wheels. Stationary it is merely substandard housing.

Today is Windows update day. Make sure if you have Windows 7 to also get the new Flash update as it has a big security patch too.

TTYL!
Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued best wishes on the construction, Itch

D
Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Dee,
I'll need it.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hello All, trusting you are all still on this healthy, happy road.
My apologies for not checking in over the last couple of months.
Looked at the calendar today and realized tomorrow marks my 21st month of sobriety. Stopped to think how much has changed for the better for me and my family. And made me think how much all of you and others helped me get to this point. Thank you.
I have been busy with life... kids, grandkids, yard x 2, travel, work, work and did I mention work. My two grandsons are now 4.5 and 2.65 years of age and the best pals an old drunk could have. We spend so much time together, just hanging out. Riding our bikes, throwing rocks in the river, eating ice cream before dinner, learning to pee in the back yard. You know, all the stuff Papa is supposed to teach them.
My long time buddy (50 years) is a raging drunk. He just came off a 90 binge that I thought would kill him for sure. He is one of many reasons I quit. He has been getting farther and farther down the black hole over the last 15 years. Lost at least 10 jobs, wife, girl friends, friends, family support. He is different than me in one respect. He has no wife, kids and many friends left. No one to be accountable to.
I do, and the walls were closing in on me. My family caught my act. If my buddy wants to drink for 3 days or 90 days, no body around to answer to.
He is now one month sober, after 2 weeks in hospital. I wish him well. I talk to him every day as I did the last 15 binges. Have told him about this site, but no luck yet,
Will keep on him
I have to get an ultra sound on Thursday. My PSA level shot up since my physical in November. Could be prostate inflammation or cancer. A little worried at this point.
Dr. said that at 61, something else will kill me before prostate cancer. I don't believe him. I self diagnosed on Google and sure enough, I will be dead by Christmas. Ha ha ha. My kids and wife are more worried than I am.
All in all, life is good. Putting in my exit plan for work. Should be done this time next year. I've had it. 40 years slugging it out in the jungle is enough for me.
I have so much joy in my life right now and it keeps getting better and better.
Stopped into my old tavern the other day. Heard my favourite young server got married this summer. She was so happy to see me, big hug. Said they all missed me, but were so glad I wasn't wearing a hole in the corner bar stool anymore.
I haven't read the last few pages of posts from you yet, but I will and get caught up with the comings and goings.
Stay strong, stay proud and stay sober.
Rick
Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress Rick - best wishes with your test results man

D
Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, all the best to everyone. I am so tired I don't have time to catch up....I got my dog back which means I am always on the go, running him and myself and my job and trying to keep myself healthy.
I got a raise! A good one.
Things are going pretty good here. Pretty settled, I'm feeling more settled than ever and it's a good thing, just accepting where I am right now and going with the flow of things. I know I was talking about quitting, I decided to stick with it, if I see really good jobs pop up I'll apply for them, but I'm not going to run out of here like I wanted to do.
That being said I did apply for something last week that I would really love to get. Would be an excellent fit for me.....but if it doesn't happen. That's fine. I'm already basically living the dream of my 20 year old self, my job is my passion and that is more than a lot of people can say so I am pretty thankful for that. VERY thankful.
Anyways, I have to go to sleep now. Welcome to any newcomers I've missed.
Take care all.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs,

Congratulations on 21 months, Rick.

Inpar, pleased the jobs working out after all, brilliant.

Itchy, it's all coming together, will be fabulous when finished.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Itchy good luck with the new house & also sending thoughts & love to your family at this time

Congrats on 21 months Rick

Hi D, Mags & Inpar

Grey morning today well i have my tea and morning news spk soon guys

6.07am
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Rick great to hea from you, I hope your health news is nothing you can't deal with. You sound great, as if you are really enjoying life. I am happy for you. My exH became like your friend, lost what mattered because booze mattered more, and then had nothing but booze left. It wasn't a good friend it saw him into an early grave. But he had choices, he made the wrong ones, or rather he made the ones that suited him best. I know he had regrets. The difference between an active alcoholic and an alcoholic working at recovery, is that the drinker sees only their past, the one in recovery is looking to their future and learning to enjoy the present.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Rick! It's great to see you! I always love to hear about you and your grandsons. It's obvious that you guys have a total blast! The fact that retirement is actually within your reach must make you giddy with delight! I, too, hope your test results are good and whatever the problem is is easily treated.

InPar! A big raise! I guess the boss can't be that much of a jerk: she recognized and rewarded quality! It's nice to know your employers have confidence in you. I'm glad you didn't do anything rash. Congratulations on getting your dog back!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, glad to hear you're feeling better about your situation.

I've been meaning to get an eye exam and some new glasses for awhile now, so I stopped into one of the local places to schedule an appointment and they took me in right away. I get my new glasses later today! My large old frames are VERY outdated, so I picked out one that's much more stylish. It's funny, but the styles now remind me of the early 1970s ones, I guess everything does come back around in the fashion world.

Already went for my "nature walk" this morning as it's supposed to start getting hot and humid here once again. Compared to what Itch has had to endure lately, it's still downright cool

Have a great hump-day, overs!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

rick thanks for the update

and hope'n your friend might get the wakeup call before it's too late
Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Itchy, I assume you mean upgrading to Windows 10? I did that a couple of days ago - smoothest and easiest computer upgrade I've done in 50 years :-)

Hi Rickh54 and InParticular (and everyone else, too).

Have a lovely day!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs today i noticed 2 birds in my garden they wernt wood pigeons but they were small light brown with a touch longer necks mrs sw says they look like turtledoves im still checking it out but if our garden attracted turtledoves how amazing is that i was proper looking at them they wernt wood pigeons they were cuter

Hope everyone has a nice wednsday afternoon/evening
Old 08-12-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight Overs
Old 08-12-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hello Overs !

Today I can officially join you all today is my 1 year date woo-hoo-hooo!!

Tonight I am bringing a big box of dark chocolates to my weekly sober meeting (LifeRing / non-AA) and we are going to celebrate !!

Hugs to you all and congratulations on choosing sobriety over the hell that is the poison we used to ingest!

-Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Big congratulations, Chris!