Notices

Class of August 2015

Old 08-05-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

It's another start for me after many, many attempts over the last 4 years. I hope I can make it with the help from everyone here.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Welcome Applejack! Lots of tips/tools/support here!

Nervous about long awaited addiction counselor appt. today. Not sure what to expect and have urge to cancel even though I had to fight to find a counselor through my insurance who would take new patients. I have to expose to myself WHY I self medicate anxiety and depression with alcohol, and I'm not really sure honestly. Always was an insomniac little kid, must have been anxious way back then too.

Have a good day everyone.... Those struggling with early days (me too, headache and horrible sleep, feel like stinky feet head to toe today, that's best way to describe it, why why ? ) lets get through it! I recall I felt decent after about 8 days before.. So holding on to that.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. This is day 1 for me. I've tried to quit hundreds of times but can never seem to get past a few weeks without drinking. I'm ready to change that starting now.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Morning everyone..
Day 16. Although I am proud of myself for not giving in to the desire to drink..God help me! I realize I have some major issues that cause me to be angry and resentful. I just wish everyone knew to be kind and gentle so none of my triggers would get pushed! Don't they know I am having a hard time here? Maybe they don't care or feel like I have much to work on, what's one more thing, right? Wish this angry feeling would go away!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Good morning all.
Let's make today a day we are proud of!
Let's check another one off....
Let's avoid setbacks!
Jonathan
Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Made it to Day 3!

It's amazing how awful I have felt coming out of this period of drinking. It's Day 3 and I still don't feel right. It's always taken me days to detox but this time is different. I feel worse and it takes me longer to feel better. I guess that's what happens when you get older.

I have felt extreme exhaustion. Even making a phone call or sending an email has seemed like an insurmountable task. Incredibly dehydrated. Skin feeling like rubber. Depressed, ashamed and bloated. This is where drinking ALWAYS leads me. And when I'm an active alkie, this is what I feel like pretty much every day.

Day 1 was like the above, Day 2 a little better and today (Day 3) a little better yet. I still feel dehydrated and sleep deprived. But a tad less so. Skin still feels rubbery. Idea of exercising still a bit daunting. Still looking forward to sleeping tonight.

Looking forward to getting to the double digits. Day 10 here I come!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeNewDay View Post
AllieKat - you are doing so well..you understand the triggers and your weak spots... with regard to your husband... maybe he doesn't realize you're serious this time, have you ever said you were quitting to him and then relapsed? i know i have done so many times over the past 22yrs with my hubby that this last time I said,, I am not saying I am quitting, watch my actions and you decide if i am sincere. today is Day 14 for me... i dont think he is sabotaging you but he may not believe he has to quit because you are and you said it yourself..you picked up the beer, even tho he brought it...it is early and the situation is rough... maybe ask him to hold off for a week or two until you have more resolve.. talk to him - it might help both of you. If he rejects the suggestion and brings beer, then be prepared ahead of time & bring your own something in a can so your hand is occupied and you don't do the knee jerk habit thing & think you need to grab his beer can. just some thoughts...
Yes we have been through this many times. It makes sense that he doesn't believe me. On the other hand, rubbing it in my face won't help make it stick ya know? He just wanted to have fun that day I guess. I don't know. It was weird. Normally he doesn't push it like that. If I come up with other things to do then he goes along with it. I think that day he got beer in his head and couldn't get it out. And I know what that's like. And I probably push it on him when I get like that on a day he doesn't want to drink.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SHG13 View Post
Made it to Day 3!

It's amazing how awful I have felt coming out of this period of drinking. It's Day 3 and I still don't feel right. It's always taken me days to detox but this time is different. I feel worse and it takes me longer to feel better. I guess that's what happens when you get older.

I have felt extreme exhaustion. Even making a phone call or sending an email has seemed like an insurmountable task. Incredibly dehydrated. Skin feeling like rubber. Depressed, ashamed and bloated. This is where drinking ALWAYS leads me. And when I'm an active alkie, this is what I feel like pretty much every day.

Day 1 was like the above, Day 2 a little better and today (Day 3) a little better yet. I still feel dehydrated and sleep deprived. But a tad less so. Skin still feels rubbery. Idea of exercising still a bit daunting. Still looking forward to sleeping tonight.

Looking forward to getting to the double digits. Day 10 here I come!
I've heard that the number of detox attempts you go through makes each one worse than the one before. Certainly seems to be true in my case. I never felt like I needed help to get through this in the past but I certainly needed it this time. That should tell me something.

You go with getting 10 days done!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PHRD View Post
Here's to a clear, calm, productive and predictable day to you all! I'm on Day 5. Haven't been around cause I'm so busy but tried to read through everyone's posts. I'll try to check in daily or else I won't be able to follow/connect. Yep, first try was Dec 2010 - Geeze almost 5 years ago. Looks like I tried last year too. I'm feeling really confident this time and I know some of it is because my husband is doing it with me - he's not quitting though - so I need to plan for when that happens. That will be the hurdle that makes me second guess myself because my main excuse in my brain not to quit - other than I can handle it now that I quit for a while - is that I'll loose him. It's a stupid fear as we've been together for 15 years and are still in love with each other and best friends. But that's it. That's the reason I drank again last time and I have get beyond it. I drink too much and sometimes don't stop. It's getting in the way of my goals and making me frustrated and unhappy with myself all the time - sucking up wasted time in my brain that I'd like to have free for other things. K, sorry for going on and on. Have a great day and look around to notice the differences in your life being sober today!
I have this same problem, fear of losing him if I quit. BUT I have a bigger fear of losing him if I don't. We only fight when we are drinking and it has gotten really bad to the point of him leaving. I have learned that sober me will never lose him but drunk me probably will...food for thought.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
There is also the kindling effect which makes detox worse every time, no matter how long in between drinking binges, I've got to agree mine have gotten worse everytime!

Peace X
I'm saving this message in my info bag. So I can read it when my AV acts up. It certainly happened to me too! I'm on day two and miserable. Better than yesterday but still not good.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

My day 2 has improved somewhat. Still got shaky hands but my insatiable thirst has died down some. I'm sleepy as heck but I really don't want to sleep during the day. Finally got a little food down and I think that has helped. On to day 3!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It's wonderful to see this August class coming together into a supportive unit so quickly! You all are doing great!

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what, and as long as you don't take the first then you can't take that second or third or eighth drink that will almost invariably follow for us alcoholics.

Wishing each and every one of you a happy and sober Wednesday! (or Thursday if you're on the other side of the world from me.)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

In the middle of day 3 here and feeling a little down. I didn't sleep well -- felt wired and unsettled last night. I think I'm anticipating the weekend without the (false, I know) comfort of settling down with a bottle of wine. I've planned a yoga class on Friday night to hopefully take the edge off. Just feeling alone and sad. I'm committed to getting through the weekend without a drink though. I'll be posting here a lot in the next few days.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everyone!
I hope you're all doing well. Day 5 is proving to be a doozy. My headache is gone but the anxiety and cravings are killer.
Retread, I think I understand where you are coming from when you say things feel weird. I think I feel uncomfortable with sober so it's an adjustment. Too many feelings. It's very overwhelming.
Thank you Alliekat and Angd, if the headaches persist I will bring it up when I see my doctor. Hopefully, they have passed along with the sweats and the gnarly hallucinations.
I hope everyone has a great day and stays strong!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Day 3

Going on day 3 of being alcohol free. Symptoms have diminished about 90%. I actually can see myself gradually getting back to the past "alcohol free me" and to be honest, I LOVE IT! Keep up the good work guys, and we'll all get through this demon together. If you want any suggestion of what I'm doing, just ask. All I can do is tell you what's helping me thus far. I know it's only 3 days, but it's longer than any time that I can remember being alcohol free. THANK SR FOR LITERALLY FALLING IN MY LAP!! HAVE A GOOD SOBER DAY MY FRIENDS!
"1dayaddatime"
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynbee View Post
In the middle of day 3 here and feeling a little down. I didn't sleep well -- felt wired and unsettled last night. I think I'm anticipating the weekend without the (false, I know) comfort of settling down with a bottle of wine. I've planned a yoga class on Friday night to hopefully take the edge off. Just feeling alone and sad. I'm committed to getting through the weekend without a drink though. I'll be posting here a lot in the next few days.
Hang in there lynbee!! I'm on day 3 too! Together we can do this!
Try and stay super busy this weekend and you will make it!
"1dayaddatime"
Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I can relate to those of you who have decided you want sobriety only to feel like your significant other is sabotaging all your hard work.

I have a few suggestions for you as these are things that worked for me. I attend Codependents Anonymous as well as AA. It helped me set boundaries and take responsibility for myself, and taught me how to confront the other person with how their behavior was hurtful and dangerous for my sobriety. Another thing I did was invite them to attend Open AA meetings with me. That helped too.

Ultimately, if sobriety is what you want, it's up to you to make it happen regardless of someone else's behavior.

In the past I made a mistake of asking another person to quit because it was too hard on me, and he said he did, except I found out it was only in front of me. That was in no way a healthy relationship.

Also, you are what some people call "double winners" because you are qualified to go to both AA and AlAnon, since you have a desire to quit drinking AND you are affected by someone else's drinking, regardless of if that persons drinking is "a problem" or not, it is still dangerous to your sobriety.

So there it is. Open AA meetings, CoDA meetings, and AlAnon.

Even if you're not a 12 stepper, I'd suggest going to at least a few meetings because chances are there is someone there who's experience, strength, and hope will help you. You don't even have to follow the steps, just show up.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Day 5

The last bender was July 31, so my days are easy to count, but it wasn't planned that way, lol.

Dropping in to say hello to this group; it's where I should be, no?

I've spent these five days keeping negative thinking out. I feel like I give so much in my life unnecessary power, with alcohol being the "antidote". And when I want the antidote, I get worked up about something, either physically, emotionally, mentally.

One of my Facebook friends recently had an 8 year sober anniversary. She said something really simple, like: 8 years. One day at a time. Thank you. And in her comments she said "so many less messes".

I was almost in tears with the power there. So many less messes. I have so many messes, and so many more to come. My day one consisted of puking all day, and dragging myself out after dark to find my credit cards at two different bars. And then the stuff that happens when I'm not actually drunk.... You know what I mean? When you're "sober" but inhabit drinking thinking?

That has been my mantra. One day at a time. Thank you. So many less messes.

I'm off to work, hope you all have a great day!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Still here. Glad to have SR.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

I'm just posting to remind myself I'm an alcoholic. I can't drink. If I drank I would feel good for a little while and then I'd have remorse for days.

I'm making a commitment to myself to not drink today regardless of how I feel