Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 5

Old 08-01-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful Saturday here. Made it to a meeting at 8am - ran some errands with family, made a little snack and cooler with Cokes and headed to the lake. Day 6 is awesome so far 😀
Old 08-01-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Wonderful job to everyone!! I had several Day 1's in July. A series of awful events made it one of the very, very worst months of my entire life. I may start on the Aug month board for this reason. I am on day 12.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Congratulations Toadie on one month!!

I was awake at around 6am and finished Drinking a Love Story in bed...I couldn't put it down. It really is a powerful read...

I went for a long walk today over the hills where I live. It was a beautiful summers day with lovely views, but crikes I was triggered to drop down into a local village pub. I resisted but it was a very strong craving. Fortunately the company I was with didn't think about it so I just kept walking on biting my tongue

Got home and had the usual magnum ice cream, bath and big dinner so now craving has gone again. Alternate weekends, when I am child free, seem to be my trigger times more so than at other time.

I have filled the car up with unwanted house clobber as I am doing a car boot sale tomorrow. That should keep me busy from 6am tomorrow
Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Day 32. Made some important sobers in July, Sober 4th, Sober Birthday, Sober out with friends, Sober out with coworkers. I haven't made it sober this long in years and years. I know it is slippery slope though and am staying humble and grateful to God for everyday I don't drink. Kudos to all of you who are also hanging in there, we can do this classmates!! ::

Last edited by Marcellina; 08-01-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: :)
Old 08-01-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Day 29: Starting to realize that I just don't know how to handle boredom. I've pretended I don't feel bored in the past because people can be really judgmental of boredom and have all sorts of requests of tasks you can perform for them if you're *really* that bored. Looking for productive ways to occupy myself that aren't just work or helping out my wife as I go into the next month of sobriety.

Happy to make my first post in August! July was a tough month at the beginning, but there was a lot to love by the end.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Martina12 - child-free alternate weekends are a dangerous time for me too; I would usually start drinking on Saturday lunchtime and keep going through Saturday evening. What a waste of a perfectly good day!

Today has felt like it's lasted forever. I definitely need some replacement activities for alternate Saturdays.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

I've managed to do three "new" things this weekend. By new I mean without alcohol. Everyday errands and entertainment always included beer. There was a time that I didn't drink everywhere I went, but then it became the norm somehow.

Now I'm changing that. Making my everyday life the norm without beer.

I won't lie, I'm craving a little today. But I won't and I can't. I'm feeling a little shaky at the moment but I don't know if that's from withdrawals (haven't really had any and it's day 6) or because I drank a Pepsi, or because I'm craving ever so slightly, or b/c I was in the sun? Or maybe a combination...
Old 08-01-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Starting to realize that I just don't know how to handle boredom.
This is me too. I can come up with a million little projects for myself, but sooner or later it just peters out and I don't know what to do anymore. I was surprised when I read here a few people saying that boredom is a common trigger.

I'm trying to think- I am bored & lonely at home, if I drink I will just be drunk and bored and lonely. And then I will likely continue and be drunk and depressed.

It's really hard right now. I keep looking at the clock and calculating how long it will take me to go the liquor store.

I'll be honest I don't know if I can make it through. If I can make it til 8 pm it will maybe be okay.

I only stopped drinking because I was having a crisis affecting work, a crisis of severe insomnia & exhaustion, anxiety, that drove me to my doc (a last resort). Drinking was/is a symptom rather than a cause, but I only stopped because my exhaustion and anxiety was reaching a critical point, with the next stop a leave from work or hospital.

I feel ashamed it took that. And I feel weak. And I feel weak tonight and if I'm honest I'm just trying to resist until I get stable again at work. Then I feel like I will just start again.

I do have a problem. I'm still not used to saying that or thinking that. All the excuses or reasons aside, it's an addiction and everything else is rationalization.

I went for a run today and I'm not a very good runner but I love it. It makes me feel strong, and I had a good run better than in a while and it was amazing to feel like I had energy.

I want to be stronger than this problem.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I'm definitely going to pick up this 'Drinking, A Love Story' book, you guys have sold it well I am also waiting on the Allen Carr one to be delivered. I have been reading the rational recovery book out of curiosity to see how it compares with the SMART stuff I've been doing. It seems RR and SMART used to be a joint recovery community, but SMART split off to pursue more CBT based techniques, whilst RR went more towards the AVRT training. After reading the literature of both I find either equally useful so far.

Bed time for me. Take care all and have a safe sober saturday night.
B
Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

So many posts remind me of the things I feel, think and experience. I also have been trying new things...I will say that right now, I am noticing all the alcohol around us. Commercials, signs, restaurant menus, etc. on commercials everyone looks so happy with drink in hand laughing w friends. My reality ends up so different. Today is day 7 alcohol free!! Keep going team!!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, so great to hear from you all :-)

Congratulations Toadie!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!

Yes, the old boredom is a factor. I can't remember who posted "well if you're bored, I'll give you something to do...", but that was funny :-) Takes me back to my childhood.

Sadie - just wanted to share my experience with antidepressants. I also found that initially they made me extremely jittery and anxious. That period lasted for a good 7 weeks or so, then subsided completely. It was awful, but worth persevering. Just thought I would mention that in case it's helpful.

Life can be really hard, no two ways about it, but remember Kitty's caution... "drinking just adds to the pile of s&it" ... lol
Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

1 week
Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Fantastic, KDB. Keep going and make your 60s the best decade of your life. It's in your power!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Thanks everyone for the well wishes today!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Day 25 today!

Had the worst cravings in a long time a couple of nights ago,but they passed as they usually do.

Today I am getting out of the house and am about to go do an activity with friends that always involved beer. I won't be drinking, and they will be surprised I am sure. Going to use the "I'm on a diet" excuse, if questioned about it, but I don't think it will be an issue.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Wow grabbed a beer for someone today and I almost without thinking grabbed one for myself. I guess theoretically I could try to avoid every situation with alcohol but that's seems illogical. Glad I stayed on my guard. After a very hot afternoon I just thought about it because it was cold and nothing more. Grabbed a water instead. Have a great night!!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Good morning

Day 13 for me today. I feel like I have some energy today for the first time. I'm working hard on exercise and healthy eating so I hope this is helping. We're all doing so well and learning to recognise our triggers and stressors. I'm going to look at the SMART stuff BBB as it sounds interesting.

Have a great day
Old 08-02-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Morning! Hope everybody had a good night. Day 6 for me, a 4 hour day in work and then two days off. Days off have been a weak point for me of late, but my wife knows I'm making every attempt to make this my last time of trying. I'll be checking in here periodically to keep myself on track.

Hope you all have an excellent day!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Good morning. Wish I was sleeping but our son has a bad cold so it's been a long two nights. 530am here and I have pretty much been up since 3am. Feeling cranky from being tired but it beats being tired and hungover. It's seems like kids are always sick with something. Extra bonding time but sleep would nice. Have a nice Sunday!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Lots of good sobriety going on around here in July!
Busy now, family events coming up, company and school. Will try to keep up with posts but July is incredibly busy...and that's fantastic!!
Wishing all a great Sunday!