Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 4

Old 07-23-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Welcome void and Natalie. Kitty just keep trying, that’s what we are all doing. FABL if you can just postpone it and hang in there it will get better.

Thanks Dee1971 on the Allen Carr idea. I got it on my Kindle today and I’m 30% through it. I really like it! But, like any material it all depends on the reader and where you are when you read it. It would be naive to say this is the end all and be all for whipping alcohol! We all know better….but still…its pretty good. I’d call it a piece in my mosaic of sobriety. That piece might not fit in every mosaic….

Finishing up day 20. I continue to feel better. Here’s a link I found interesting. Basically no amount of alcohol is safe at least regarding cancer. This is another little ***** in the armor of those who continue to claim a little drinking is good. Also, this isn’t some “sour grapes” (pardon the pun) type of argument where I can’t drink so it must be bad for everyone…No, it’s a fact and this goes along with Allen Carrs summation that we’ve been brainwashed since birth to believe that alcohol is necessary for parties, bravery, and dealing with stress. It’s a lie!
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824237
Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Absolutely. The reason why it makes us incompetent and do stupid things is because it's poison. What...."a little poison now and then is good for you?" I don't think so.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Well ,
I'd like to get on here and complain that my wife non communicative today, and is tired, not talking, not answering texts I send her in the other room, yet says she's not mad, only tired..
I've recently noticed that I'm jealous because she spends all of her time talking to our kids, and her mom and dad, siblings, and pretty much none to me- at least it feels that way when I'm pouting about it. I quickly am reminded in my head of what an ass I've been, while drunk, for the past9-10 yrs of marriage, so maybe im just whining because it's 9 pm, I'm sober awake, and that recently been more and more of a regular thing. I have to basically knock myself out with sleep medication. I don't have family to talk to as we are far and away estranged. We can say I love you only because we are all 100 miles from one another. Not a like not close in age, nothing. Dads gone since childhood, moms dementia patient in nursing home. Not griping, just that's where it is, for me.
I think I'm waking up to a pain in my marriage, and noticing that it hurts when you're ignored, wether or not they mean to. I'm sure we need or could use counselling, but she's not wanted to go for whatever reason.
Wow I'm feeling weird tonight ! Not bad, just blah and could use a hug, but don't want to **** off the wife by waking her up to get one . Haha ! 6 yr olds at granny's house, and 2 yr old will tear the house down if I wake him up.
Tomorrow I'll be glad I didn't drink just like I've been these past few weeks, because hangover equals danger on my job driving trucks and equipment. I've got to do better on the weekends. They're my holdout/hang up , stumbling block. I'm working 1 day of it, so shouldn't be too much going one even if I planned to drink. I plan NOT to.
Man , I'm weird tonight. Hugs to y'all !!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Welcome Natalie and void! Stick around, this class is great! FABL-I really don't have too much to add that has not already been said by all these lovely people on here. You are already doing what you need to do by posting and not drinking.

(Hugs) JL- Sometimes we need them. I could use one myself right about now.

Today has been a great day! I just found out that the school board passed a vote to give every teacher a $1,200 raise this year. Yippppeeeeeee!!! For some reason I just feel stronger going into tomorrow. I killed it at the gym today and realized just how much I love the rush of adrenaline from a good workout. I am going again in the morning before I go into work and start setting up my classroom. I sure could use the "good feeling" endorphins pumping through my body, as I face some people that I haven't seen in a while. I can see myself getting addicted to the gym but there are far worse things to be addicted to, right?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

JL2014, I can relate to your post very closely!

I think my relationship is improving though, here's hoping the same for you!

Day 21 down, on to day 22 and possibly my final day of IOP therapy...not sure yet!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Scram,

I will be starting IOP on August 10. Let me know how you like it. I started and didn't finish two IOPs in the last few years. This time I'll be attending a doctor supervised one. The toughest part for me are the family sessions. Watching my husband play the victim (which he is ) pisses me off. I'm very defensive and listening to people say how you've hurt them sucks. He deserves to vent, don't get me wrong, but it's difficult to listen to him. There are many positive aspects that I've gotten a lot out of. I like how you kind of become family with your group and I like listening to other stories. I hope you have a positive experience.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

JL - you're not weird. It really hurts if you feel ignored in a relationship. Especially when you have little of your own family support. You are wise suggesting therapy. Sounds like you're doing incredibly well :-) Was yours the little boy who keeps turning the knob on the refrigerator down? So cute.

Angd....WOOHOO!!!!!! (Sorry, I know we're not allowed to shout).

Great guns, Toadie!!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Kitty cat! You can do this. I couldn't string two or more days together at first either. I'm a serial restarter. I ended up on medication so I can't drink. I feel like I'm cheating in a way, but it makes it so I can't possibly drink, so it will have to do until I get treatment and have more time under my belt. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Not giving up?

i would love to join the July group and hope tomorrow can be day 1-again- for me. 98% of me wants sobriety so badly and I just don't understand why that other 2% wins out every single time. I've been advised to join and post daily, no matter how I'm doing. I'm embarrassed but I want to try.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Everyone's doing great! Especially those who are fighting other battles aside from alcohol (although I know they're all related). But kudos to y'all for not giving up the struggle.

Found out today that I'm going to have to go "home" (childhood home) to help my mother move from assisted living to an even higher level of care. That means a smaller room -- and she'll fight like the devil. Not looking forward to THAT trip.

But, I made it through day 5. Still feeling grumpy. Maybe a better night's sleep will help. Weird weather here in CO -- ups and downs of temps makes sleeping a challenge.

G'nite all!

KO
Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good luck Void! I just joined this group and am starting to get to know people myself! I'm on day 8.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome eliasson

D
Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

BBB - I binge watched OITNB in three days. Now I'm watching VEEP. Summer vacation is becoming mind numbing. I haven't read a single book and I usually try to read 2 per week over the summer.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad to see you back, eliasson!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Feel better For a Better Life. I understand how you feel. Just think it through. Will it stop at a bottle? Will you feel better in the morning? You can get through this without self medicating!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hi Eliasson

I'm trying something different, don't know if it will work....have tried to attach fireworks to herald your arrival :-)

Nothing to be embarrassed about that the rest of us already aren't or have been :-D
Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I just want to check in to say proudly that I overcome a huge, huge craving tonight, thanks to all of you. I had one foot out the door to buy a bottle of wine and stopping myself to come here for support was just what I needed.
I'm exhausted from an emotional tough day but I will catch up more and read all of your wonderful posts tomorrow.. When I wake up without regret, guilt, and a hangover ...
Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Awesome FABL!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it FABL! One day at a time, and today was a victory

Welcome Eliasson - I don't post much, but keeping tabs on the 'class' threads has helped me a great deal in my attempts at sobriety, especially early on - I hear a lot of myself in what others are saying.

Ending day 8 here, week 1 came and went without much fanfare. This time around I'm finding myself surprised how little I'm actually craving alcohol. I think about sobriety/alcohol many times during the day (had a dream last night that I'd broken my sobriety), but so far I haven't been foaming at the mouth. The depression is pretty persistent, and I've been staying up obscenely late at night, but physically my anxiety is all but gone, mentally it's down drastically. Seeing as that's the most debilitating thing alcohol was doing to me, that's something to be pretty happy about. I lied to myself for so long about what created my generalized anxiety - it's the alcohol, stupid!

Wishing everyone another successful night or day
Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear it FABL

D