Class of July 2015 Part 4

Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

me too LOL

D
Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I'm on day 24...beginning to feel better every day. Just have been getting some headaches lately. Been upping my water intake.

I've been going to some open AA meetings and it has been great to hear the stories. I'm also thinking of going to a SMART group on Friday, has anyone been to one of those?

Anyways, I've been spending a lot of time journaling and meditating. Really trying to develop better self-control in my life. Going to therapy tomorrow. Really curious to see what happens. Awesome stuff for this class! Keep up the great work everybody,
Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I read the article about teachers years ago when I first started realizing I have a problem. It was up there with lawyers and law enforcement. I'll see if I can find it. I also googled alcoholic teachers and found several blogs written by alcoholic teachers. I'll look for the original article again once the kids are in bed. Only an hour and a half to go. Woo hoo! Right now I'm watching them wear themselves out swimming.

Sorry I don't really know all of you and your stories. I joined the party late, but I hope as I read, I learn more and can offer more support. This is a difficult time for us all and most of us are probably facing intense cravings. If I wasn't medicated, I'm not sure I'd be able to resist. I start IOP the 10th of August. I hope everyone has a happy/sober night.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks Amanda. Hope you have a happy, sober night too :-)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
Guess I won't wait for an answer to that and will just barge right in...

Hi Julyers,

I have been a member of SR for several months. During that time, I was able to get 2 months and then about 6 weeks sober. Was really rockin' that pink cloud.

After the second relapse though, I was really in a bad place, and in a moment of total self-loathing, decided I didn't 'deserve' to be on SR.
Sheesh.

Anyhoo, have been lurking on-and-off for about a month and am giving this another try. My new day 1 was July 4th.

I'm looking forward to get to know you all and so will now look through previous threads to get to know you all. Who knows, maybe someone is even a July 4th buddy!
Hey close lol july 6th... But hey I give you credit for quiting on what was a very hard day for myself. The whole weekend in fact. Goodluck & look forward to reading your post in the future
Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just checking in before checking out (bedtime). Made it through an incredibly busy Day 4. "Busy", my journal suggests, is one way to keep me from seeking "refuge" in drinking. But there has to be a balance somewhere or I'll burn out.

Now, however, it's lights out!

Keep on....Especially you new folks! Glad you're on board!

KO
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I have not had the time to read all the other posts here but i will later as i want to get to know you all. I was on the March thread when i tried to get sober but i failed miserably (obviously) so i am here! I am only two days sober today. I have so much to get out but don't know how to word it all right now. I am a mom and a wife (stay at home mom) pretty much feel like a big loser. Not going anywhere in life. I know my life is good but i can't seem to stop drinking and see that it actually is a good life. I am stuck in a rut!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome need to stop! 9 days since one beer, 14 days since last binge here I was a mess for a good week, how are you doing Day 3?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome needtostopthis

D
Old 07-22-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say hello! Spent my evening doing a few small things around the house (trying to work through my lack of motivation) and watching Torchwood. Work/life is a bit crazy right now, got home from work late, but no worries about drinking today or tomorrow. Tomorrow is another long, busy day at work, then home, and then gym. I will try to check in, though, even if it's only briefly. Sorry I don't have more time to catch up on threads.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Welcome to the class, needtostopthis! Please don't feel like a loser. We've all been there and failed before, many times. I'm on my 3rd class now? And I lurked and tried to quit numerous times before ever posting.

The quote I keep going back to right now is:
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone -

needtostopthis - It's pretty uncommon that a person successfully quits on their first attempt. Not to say it isn't possible, but it's rare. I know all about the disappointment of trying and failing. You're here, you're back, and that's what matters.

For me... tomorrow I start my Intensive Outpatient Recovery program. It's an evening program from 5 - 9PM. I am nervous, intimidated, definitely humbled but more ready than I have ever been. I have to do this. Oh and tomorrow will be Day 6 for me, which I think is my longest stretch in 3+ years?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Scram

D
Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Definitely not a loser, need to stop. You know your life is good and you don't need or want alcohol!

Hope the program goes really well tomorrow, Scram. Starting it with 6 days under your belt is an advantage :-)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome toki. Welcome needtostop

Good to see everyone seems to be doing well.

Tooshabby it can be kind of sad showing the poor old boy where his bowls is and getting him out of corners he got stuck in. Was worse when he was getting confused and had a cone on cause he had a bad eye. Sometimes he makes me laugh but often I just worry about the old fella.

Day 9 dawning here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
014 a- Copy.jpg (60.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

On the teacher thing. So many teachers in my family I swore never to go into the profession. I knew too much .

Come to think of it Mum liked a Sherry after work (teacher) and the sis in law is fond of a glass of wine or two when she gets home (teacher). Not sure on the habits of the rest of the teachers in the family.

Dad was a teacher and didn't drink but then he left full class teaching as he found it stressful and worked one on one with kids in mainstream school who needed additional aid.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Awwwww....what little honeys. Their bed looks comfy :-)

My Mum used to be a teacher and was a big binge-drinker. I used to teach too, so there's another statistic!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 23~ Still Sober~checking in! Haven't been on in awhile but happy to report I have been hanging in there. Have gone out a couple times to dinner and didn't drink and even went to a concert and survived the 4th so I really think I can do it this time. This is the longest I have been sober in years!! So happy about that and happy all of you are here in this class also to support each other.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Keeping on- I totally agree about balance. Keeping busy is helpful in staying sober but I can get overwhelmed or become a perfectionist, so then it backfires and I say scr$$w it and drink.

Welcome needtostop - this is by far not the first time around for many of us, including myself. We are here and we get it, so post more when you are ready
Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Marcellina View Post
Day 23~ Still Sober~checking in! Haven't been on in awhile but happy to report I have been hanging in there. Have gone out a couple times to dinner and didn't drink and even went to a concert and survived the 4th so I really think I can do it this time. This is the longest I have been sober in years!! So happy about that and happy all of you are here in this class also to support each other.
23 days is brill! You sound very confident. Nice to hear