Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 4

Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome Live2FAD and anyone else I might have missed.

Entering Day 27 for me, highly motivated and ready to jump into August soon!

We're expecting a heat wave coming through here in the Northeast USA this week, never something I enjoy but will take it as it comes.

Week 3/Day 7 of my IOP therapy for substance abuse...since discovering RR and AVRT attending doesn't seem to make much sense, but will stick with it for at least another week.

Here's hoping everyone stays strong and has their best day possible today!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Great advice Dee1979! Day one.
Glad everyone is doing well. Welcome to class new friends.
Great quote BBB.
Someone needs to pm DD because she is mia.
Daria, I thought the same thing when I read your post.
Somebodys got cause of the Mondays . I agree with you Charlie. It's work isn't that bad but the freedom of the weekends is great.
Nice job JL and for a better life.

Yoga sounds like a great exercise todoki.
Glad you had a great vacation BobBfree.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me today.
I have a lot of gratitude this morning for another try at sobriety.
A tiny bit of anxiety for later today, I'll be at an event where I might feel some pressure to drink. But I have a plan and know what I will say if I get asked - and I know it will not be a big deal.
I dreamt last night I saw an old friend and told him I no longer drank. It felt good in the dream!
I am also feeling a pang of sadness along w the gratitude, I know a couple friendships of mine will have to change since they revolve around HH / drinking. Will be better in long run but still somewhat sad.
Looking forward to a great sober day! Happy Monday all!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Morning check-in. So far so good. Going out for a bike ride. Good luck to all of us!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

KDB - I've discovered bike riding recently and love it!

Daria - I need to slow down and read posts more thoroughly. You said "folks" not "my folks" so really it wasn't "parents"!

I must have slept wrong - stiff neck - typing from phone not helping!

Have a good week everyone and welcome everyone new !

Olivia
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone in the July thread I also try to think of how many drinks will come after that 1st one Dee1971... It works! Doesn't seem to feel the same when I do lol. Checking in on day 21 here(wow), & going to try to make this Monday productive. School starts back in 3 weeks & I'll be taking a bigger load then usual. Ready to have the responsibility bk #lazysummer
Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Day 24: After a couple weeks of feeling great, I've started to just feel...blah. Not motivated to do much outside of work, not enjoying the beautiful weather, generally just being lazy and bored. Starting to fall back into the very dangerous habit of not eating well and avoiding exercise. In the past, this has been prime relapse territory, so I'm trying to keep a very close eye on my thinking. After a bit of an argument with my wife, I decided to take a walk and blow off some steam. In the past, this would have pretty much guaranteed a stop at the liquor store, so I just left my ID and credit cards at home before walking out the door. I'm still very happy with that decision. Going to try to consciously keep a positive attitude today!

For everyone who's just starting today, welcome! I really drew strength from participating on this site for the first few days of sobriety. It might not seem like much, but just taking a few minutes to put yourself out there in a safe place like this forum can really help.

Remember that you matter and have a wonderful, sober day.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

StrongEnough, so smart to leave ID and money behind when going on walks. I just started doing that too. I'm heading out for exercise, what would I need money for?!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Went to an AA meeting at lunchtime today (first one for 13 years) . I enjoyed it and it made sense not like before. There is another meeting near me tonight so I'm going to go and listen some more. Don't think I want to share anything but I see myself in others stories.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Lurker

Hello everyone

I've been lurking for a week so I thought I would say hi. I'm on my seventh day sober today. I have had several periods of sobriety in the last few years (mostly short lived) including one of 7 months in 2012 which was a great seven months spoiled by a moment of weakness after a rough day at work. I refuse to stop trying though and am in this for the long haul.

Looking forward to sharing your journeys.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Welcome BlueBird :-)
Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Bluebird. This is a great group here, hope you'll participate regularly with them!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Welcome Bluebird, from another UK resident.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Day 2 for me. I had never sought any outside help for my addictions but last night I went to my first ever NA meeting (in the past I thought the 12 Step thing was probably not my thing). The people were really great and the discussion (on 8th step) was actually very helpful even though I was only 24 hrs clean. Hoping to go to another meeting this evening after work.

Take care everyone.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

BadSneakers, my day 2 as well, also off to AA meeting tonight.

Take care you.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Day 13 Checking In. I'm in a very antsy and on-edge. My in-laws came up yesterday to celebrate my daughter's birthday and they tend to raise my stress level. We went out to dinner for my daughter's birthday and my father in law was incredibly rude to the staff. I wanted to crawl under the table. Yes, it did take a long time for the food to come out, but it wasn't the poor server's fault. He's always rude when we go out and he's a poor tipper (I put myself through college waiting tables) so I cringe whenever he takes the bill. He told the manager at dinner last night that we were there to celebrate my daughter's 6th birthday and we'd like to get the food before her 7th birthday. He made several other comments as well. We tried to insist on paying or leaving the tip, but he wouldn't hear of it.

I had an extra $10 cash to leave on the table because I was sure he didn't tip enough, but during the meal, my son dumped his entire milk in my lap so I was soaked and I needed to cover my front with his diaper bag, and I needed someone to walk behind me because it quite literally looked like I'd had a massive pee in my pants and I needed someone to cover my backside. So, I couldn't find a way to slip the money on the table because my FIL waited for me so he could take on the duty.

Then this morning I made breakfast for everyone and he stood staring at me while I made it, and my MIL talked incessantly about her diabetic cat. Meanwhile they had the tv up extremely loudly and my husband slept in. Right now I'm hiding in my bedroom with the dog. My daughter is with my MIL and my son went to summer daycare.

In all this my husband has forgotten to give me my Antabuse, so I just went and hid the bottle (give me credit for not flushing them). It's humiliating for him to give me the pill everyday and check my mouth to make sure I've swallowed it. I have no control (not that I have control when I drink). So I hid the pills. I can't drink today. It will be several more days before I can drink without getting sick so hopefully I take the pill before then. I'm just very anxious right now. I'm not going to drink today but I can't promise i won't 2-3 days from now. I know that drinking will lead to no good Ugh. I'm being summoned. I'll keep checking in.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Amandaw -- you know that hiding that pill bottle is not the right thing to do. Hope you put it back where it belongs. I can certainly understand how having your husband basically force you to take it would be upsetting. No one likes to be controlled even if your husband is doing it because he thinks he is helping you. Seems to me the solution is for you to start taking it voluntarily. Or else don't take it but don't drink no matter what. Take control of the situation in a healthy, honest way instead of in a way that is guaranteed to cause friction. Wishing you the best today...
Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

[Seems to me the solution is for you to start taking it voluntarily. Or else don't take it but don't drink no matter what. Take control of the situation in a healthy, honest way instead of in a way that is guaranteed to cause friction. Wishing you the best today...[/QUOTE]

For years, I would stop drinking because it made my husband mad. Or he would mark on the wine bottle. Or ... or... Bottom line, I was the one who needed to do it. Me. His monitoring of it was a sign, to me, that he was in control (as he was of everything.) And I resented it and did not own up to my own responsibility.

Relax. We can trade inlaw stories sometimes. Be sober for you. For your kids.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the people who have decided that they would like to take the plunge to get sober and start your journey before July ends.

Congrats Dee1971 on 14 days!!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Amanda , it is tough to deal with all of that but it's clear you know drinking isn't the answer. I don't know what you mean about the pills - that you hid them from your husband? If so, that's probably just going to cause more problems. Anyway, you are getting through it - even if you are hiding in your room. You will get through it and you will feel so much better. We are here for you, keep checking in.