Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 19

Old 09-12-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Scooter, the commercials can trick you for sure my friend. Who are you transporting? Are you volunteering? Way cool.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

4:30am wake up for a 27 mile run. That's the furthest I'll go before my 32 miles next month.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.

Relentless Forward Progress!
Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Good luck on your run ultra! Thinking of you! 4.30am is dedicated!

Determind, you are right, I'm planning positively, I intend to stay pink!

Still feeling pants so lying low again today.

Much love xxx
Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday peeps!

Awesome on the run there ultra! You are doing what you set out to do. Rare and priceless my friend. You should feel proud my friend. Well done.

Hope you feel better pink! I like the term feeling pants. Stop beats a hangover, as you can have guiltless TV watching and chilling!

Stop in and say howdy today gang!

I spent yesterday evening cooking two huge pots for freezing. Potato and corn chowder and a Swiss chard and white bean soup. Heading for a run then to a carnival.

"Everything you think, say and do works for or against you in a way that is equal."

Get up and get out there!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Wow ultra! Hope your run was endurance and strength building!

Scooter, I really like your volunteer practice. Giving rides is a much needed service. Way to go!

Pink, I hope your sinus infection clears up before your vacation. It sounds like your are preparing yourself well for your SO's drink. It's great that he's been supporting you all of this time.

London, your trip sounds fantastic, and well done on not taking that drink! Reaffirming your choice to not drink is a powerful move!

Last night, I had to pick up my son from a late night party. It's these times when I am most grateful to be sober. The feeling of driving the car, contented, at peace, at ease is so very different from having to manage drinking.

I hear you on the forever thing, determined. I'm often presented with activities that my husband and I have enjoyed drinking at, and sometimes feel that "forever" can't be real. Then I remind myself that we can't actually experience forever, just the moment. And here we are-loving life more than we ever thought we could!

How are you doing, Rah?

Love!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Rubbish wifi, aarg - can read the posts but trouble keeping signal long enough to write anything meaningful back!!

Hope you are all good.

I shall do a better post when technology permits :-)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Ultra - Great job on the marathon-plus run! I am amazed. So proud of you and inspired by your dedication.

(((Pink))) I hope you feel better soon. I also like the phrase "feeling pants". I'm going to bring that to the Chi.

London - Good work passing on the free drink and getting out of there. That sounds tough especially on vacation. Croatia sounds beautiful and I heard the food is delicious. You inspire me to research more vacation destinations! =)

Scooter - So proud of you for volunteering to drive. When does your Book Club meet up again? Any good book recs - I need a good story to get lost in on the train.

Choobie - I hear you on the being clear and sober for the teenagers. I don't have a car right now so I have to rely on other parents but I am so grateful that I am sober enough to make sure they are safe and when they come home I don't need to worry about hiding anything from them. Instead my worrying is focused on them and their wellness as it should be. It feels good to be a better mom.

Determined - thanks so much for your comment about the AV the other day. I didn't have time that day to respond but what you wrote really helped me. It was a new feeling for me at this board meeting because I was not at all obsessed with what everyone else was drinking and in no way felt deprived. They also provided delicious flavored sparkling waters which was impressive. It wasn't until I left the meeting that I started thinking about the alcohol more - not even that I wanted it but almost convincing myself I must not have a problem because I didn't want it (if that makes any sense). Since I'm sober now I knew that was a red flag and then realized I was exhausted and hungry. I went right to bed after posting here and was fine the next day after reading your post. I had some fleeting thoughts again today that bothered me. Again, I did not want to drink but thought about it - where I used to buy it, where I used to drink it, when I used to drink it, luckily that turned into how I used to feel after I drank it, where I would end up at the end of the night, etc. but it still bugged me that it was on my mind more than it has been in a while. I went for a 10 mile bike ride, then walked for 2 hours at the local botanic garden so I was never bored and actually had a wonderful, relaxing day. It helps so much that you all get it.

Hugs to all.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Wow what a fantastic Monday morning gang! Windows open last night and temp in the 50s! Fall is here, and I love it!!! Had the first fire of the season going last night too. Determined is one happy puppy!

Choobie and grateful, great work on thinking through the av visits. I notice that all of us are getting the little whispers, but because we all talk here and express our feelings we are able to logically think it through. Testament to the power of this group and site. Feels wonderful and empowering not to do this alone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they resonated with me for sure.

Reading a good book if anyone is searching for one, called Letting go, by David Hawkins. About shifting your mental state to a positive vibration, and attracting that into your life. Got the recommendation from Russell brand on you tube.

Got a tough day in front of me with some negative people I have to present to at work. I let that kind of stuff change my mood too many times before, gonna experiment with a new approach and refuse to shift my attitude despite a room of "Debbie Downers"

"A man who trims himself to suit everybody will soon whittle himself away." Charles Schwab.

Love you guys and have a fabulous day!

Holla!!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hanging out at a Mexican restaurant in the Orlando Airport prior to several days at a meeting, contentedly having an Arnold Palmer. More sugar than my typical seltzer so I'm living on the edge.

Just got an email saying that a "group toast" will happen 10 minutes after the business meeting today. Back in the day I would have been counting down the minutes. Made me smile.

Let's have a great week.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

So the people next to me ordered a light beer and vodka tonic (with premium vodka). They gave the bartender a $20.

She went to ring up the drinks and came back to the customers and told them them they were short. The total was $23.

Obviously airports can charge a premium based on supply and demand- but my gosh. So glad we're on the other side Team
Old 09-14-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Ultra, too funny dude! So, a mild buzz would be over 100 for those folks!! Great to not even have to deal with that or "toasts"

Living alcohol free is like traveling with a carry on in first class with pre boarding vs. four checked bags, zone five, and a sick infant while sitting in coach my friend!

What is an Arnold Palmer?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I am not sure which makes me more tired, passing out all WE at 9:30 (pre Aug 2014) or now staying up til 1 am hahah Overall, I know which is more fun, and it doesn't involve wasting away the next morn hungover either. I need a nap tho hahaha
happy Monday everybody
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

An Arnold Palmer is 1/2 Iced Tea and 1/2 Lemonade.

I'm in bizarro world today! I was just waiting at the hotel bar for take out sushi. The piano player began playing the theme from Chariots of Fire, a running movie. I smiled.

Then the bartender offers me a free drink since the food was taking so long. I ask for a sparkling water. He says, "are you sure? It's on the house". I smiled again.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Just a quick post - my brother is here from Dallas - unexpectedly - leaving tomorrow morning. Things are just as bad at home, and he still has not done anything about it. I just hope and pray he does not start calling me again.

Pink, the last time I went to have drinks at a fancy outdoor cafe I ordered a frozen strawberry daiquiri with no alcohol. It was delicious! It had about an inch of whipped cream on top.

Ultra, you should order one of those if the chance of a complimentary drink comes up again.....

Book club is reading The Memory Man - so far I really like it. Some of my favorites recently have been Me Before You, The Girl on the Train, Black Mass, The Girl You Left Behind, and All The Light We Cannot See.

On Friday I drove a woman in her 70s to an eye appointment. She told me her husband was in a golf tournament, and when she was at the COA playing Mah jong she asked for taxi recommendations, and when she explained, someone told her the COA has volunteers. I really enjoyed her company; she is a retired nurse. And, the best part, she had no idea that they had volunteers to drive people to doctor appointments, and she and her husband are both signing up to drive people. That made me feel even better. Tomorrow I am driving someone to Boston for a second opinion about hand surgery. I asked to do easy appointments to get started - no cancer treatments, etc. until I am used to it.

I am on edge (but SOBER) with my brother here. I think I have PTSD from all his phone calls last year. Sad to say, but I will be relieved when he leaves tomorrow.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Morning guys! Awesome on the volunteering scooter! Hope your brother works things through, you are a good and healthy support should he need it.

Gotta jump quick today, running late as heck!!

Love!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Ultra well done on handling the free drink Offer!
Scooter, stay strong my friend, you are in a good place, and you can do this xxx

Still no job news here, waiting is driving me crazy. 2 days left until my holiday. Bring it on.

Love to all xxx
Old 09-15-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Still reading, still intermittent wifi, still sober, still happy!

Hope everyone is good :-)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

London, enjoy it! Xx
Old 09-15-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

hello all- so glad to see you all here doing great after the 1 year mark! Congrats to all of you on your great achievement : ) As you may or not remember, I made it to 6 months and then thought I could ease into moderation. I cannot. I am an alcoholic and on a bad path currently. Day 2 today and giving it another go….please wish me luck and good thoughts. I'll probably try and slide into the September '15 group but wanted to say hi.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Glad to see you, cleareyes! Great that you are back on the path!