Class of July 2015 Part 3

Old 07-17-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Things the AV preys on/says.

Not been able to have children.

A bit lonely.

No job.

Struggle to stick to my goals.

The situation with my friend I mentioned.

The time I have wasted and lost.

My dogs are old and I will loose them within the next year or two. I get sad when I see how old they are getting. They are 14.5 and 13.5

The way I have behaved at times in the past and how stupid I was for staying in such an unhealthy situation.

Not achieved anything much and feel way behind all my peers.

Bad memories that crowd my brain and make me feel hollow and hopeless.

Drinking became part of my identity.

'Why shouldn't I have fun I am accountable to no one.'

'It will be different this time.'

'you have nothing left to lose' (Dis proven by above list)

Last edited by DitzyDandelion; 07-17-2015 at 04:58 AM. Reason: added about dogs
Old 07-17-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

15 days of abstinence today, heading out to IOP session #3 in a little while, give me strength!

Stay strong July & everyone else!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Glad you are here again, Troy.. I hate continuing to start over.

Have a sober day all.......I will be checking in regularly!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome DitzyDandelion, BobBFree33 and all the other inmates (students) of the Class of July 2015, let's all be strong together, and thanks to all the other earlier classmates who are here supporting everyone as well as dealing with their own issues, we are stronger together versus going it alone!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi class!

Day 8 and headed into the weekend, which is usually my danger zone. When I first tried moderating (about 3 months ago) after a year of sobriety I would allow myself to have wine on the weekend only (either Friday or Sat night). It worked for a little bit, but then one week I realized I had drank 3 nights and the quantity was increasing so here I am. Lesson learned: moderation DOES NOT work. Anyway, hoping I can make it though another weekend. Will stick close to you all.

Let's all have a nice and sober weekend, one without hangovers and regret!!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Packing for summer fun holiday in the caravan, emptied of holiday booze, just bought an aeropress coffee maker to have nice treat to drink.... Might get hyper, but no hangover!!! I forgot how your mind endlessly chews over the alcohol issue, its so tiring, wish I could just drop it and carry on with life, sigh... Oh well, that's what I'm trying to do, so hurrah! Better shift my butt and clean the kitchen too😁 happy sober days x
Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I just want to take the whole alcohol thing off the table. Do you ever stop wanting 'just one glass' though? Of course I never want to have a hangover again, but what about wanting the one glass with dinner. Do you ever get to a point where that doesn't interest you anymore?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I wish I had the answer to that too SansaS.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
Yes James...I have to remember this misery every time I want a drink...it's so emotionally draining
Lovehoops, Feel your misery with anxiety and early wake ups and decided on another tool today......Day 4 here, 9 days from last binge. this morning 4 am wake up instead of 3 am, and no nightmares and panic, some anxiety that I quelled with deep breathing and cat petting, didn't get back to sleep but progress and hope this will improve with more time and tools.

new tool.... I am going to take time today, and write down all the physical and mental crap experienced in early withdrawal and re -read if AV is whispering to me... So I will remember every last nasty detail., the running to bathroom Day 1, the swollen face, the surprising re emergence of injury pain, the dizzy spell, the tight band around chest, shakiness, on and on it's a long list.. and my Achilles, the anxiety and sleeplessness. I never want to forget it, or repeat it.

White turtle , I hope that the veterans experience that being down in dumps can happen, and that the sun was shining on other side for them offers support and hope for you. Hang in there!

James, awesome job being on vacay and keeping black wolf at bay!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

I am struggling to keep up with all the posts as I am on holidays with my family and will be for another week, so just popping in when I get some time and some wifi access.

Welcome to all the new people, day 1 or day 17 (being 17th of July for me), we can all fight the good fight.

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
So who am I? I am... sorry WAS yet another of the wine drinkers. Generally one to two bottles though at my worst up to three. Being only 4”11 and about 87lbs this is of course an unsafe amount.
Damn girl, that is about the same amount I drank when I was a wino and I have 1 foot in height on you and weight almost 3 times as much!

I hope you you are going ok with the physical withdrawal stage. What day are you on?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
When I first tried moderating (about 3 months ago) after a year of sobriety I would allow myself to have wine on the weekend only (either Friday or Sat night). It worked for a little bit, but then one week I realized I had drank 3 nights and the quantity was increasing so here I am. Lesson learned: moderation DOES NOT work.
Similar thing happened to me. Did 6 months sober, then had a couple of glasses of wine one night, then a year later I am on a week long bender waking up and reaching for a beer because I cannot cope with the hangover. 3 or 4 beers into me I am feeling better so keep drinking all day. Never. Again.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
Packing for summer fun holiday in the caravan, emptied of holiday booze, just bought an aeropress coffee maker to have nice treat to drink.... Might get hyper, but no hangover!!! I forgot how your mind endlessly chews over the alcohol issue, its so tiring, wish I could just drop it and carry on with life, sigh... Oh well, that's what I'm trying to do, so hurrah! Better shift my butt and clean the kitchen too😁 happy sober days x
have a great holiday with no hangover! Sounds wonderful
Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi JamesAdams Not bad on the physical but then I have had a lot of on/off periods with drinking. I topped out at the three bottles quite a long time ago. The more recent period I generally only went to one and a half before I passed out. I'd had a period of drinking less so thankfully my tolerance had dropped off. I have had quite a few periods trying to moderate. It would often last for a time before..........

The period of time I could actually go over two did rather scare me especially as I wouldn't be sick or anything on it. At that time one bottle barely seemed to cover tipsy. It certainly is too much for a tiny little thing like me. It has already been a long time since I could manage that though and I have never had much physical withdrawal. At most a little shakey the first day and still get a little sweaty in the night, vivid dreams. Beyond that the physical is fine probably as my intake has fluctuated and I have had periods of less along with the periods of more. I luckily never went on every day at a high volume for long enough to push myself into serious physical addiction but I realized the road I was on would very very quickly get there.

One evening last week I realized I nearly hit the two bottle mark and I would hate my drinking to reach that level again. I also realized how many times I was saying never again and not truly following it through. That rang some serious bells.

I am on day 3

EDIT: The more I think about it the more scary it is to think I did ever have a stage I could drink three. Even if it was a while ago. Back then my 'safe' limit to not be blackout drunk was 2. Recently that limit was hit at 1. I used to con myself if I stayed under the limit before I hit blackout it was ok. HA!!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
I just want to take the whole alcohol thing off the table. Do you ever stop wanting 'just one glass' though? Of course I never want to have a hangover again, but what about wanting the one glass with dinner. Do you ever get to a point where that doesn't interest you anymore?
The last year I was sober, 2007, yes, I just did not think about it. When I finally broke it was due to a relationship breakup and I started drinking as a way to purposefully harm myself. I thought once I got over the relationship I'd be OK but...nope...the addiction had taken hold.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I guess I should also add I used to make rather strong and very easy to drink homemade wine. Cheap, easy to drink, mild hangovers, and very very strong.

Nothing more dangerous than the day a brand new batch was ready. Luckily I only made a gallon a time as I only had a small kit.

Lost count how many times the fact I had the kit or had a batch brewing already was my reason not to quit just yet. So as to not waste it.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

The evil little voice still claims if I ONLY drink home brew then I have to moderate to make it last between batches. And isn't it just cute and quirky having my own little batch of strawberry or cherry wine. Surely I can make that work.

I know deep down it wouldn't work that way though. I'd blast through it in a couple of days and then end up buying in before the new next batch was done.

The AV doesn't think home made counts as drinking.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Anything I can do drunk I can do better sober. Anything I don't want to do sober I probably should not be doing.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
I guess I should also add I used to make rather strong and very easy to drink homemade wine. Cheap, easy to drink, mild hangovers, and very very strong.
Ugghhh, my mom does the same, except she makes two large batches at a time. She does like you did, and makes sure it's extra strong too. I can't quite remember, I think she gets around 25 - 30 bottles out of each batch, so 50 - 60 bottles/month.

Then she proceeds to say, "doesn't matter, it's cheap, only about $1/bottle". Well mom, that's not really the point. She has absolutely no desire to quit though, so nothing anyone in the family can do.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Hang on!

My AVs favorite sayings:

1. "You'll be OK if you only drink craft brews at the brewpub. They're too expensive to become a habit. And a growler is just so you can savor those crafts at home."

2. "Get the box of wine, that way you won't have to worry about running out and nobody can tell how much you've had. It's cheaper anyway."

3. "Go to a different store this time so nobody can tell you just bought a fifth last night and emptied it."

4. "You're safe at home and your neighbors are 300 yards away. What could possibly go wrong? Party! " (Answer: a drunken ER visit from a fractured clavicle caused by falling off the deck, a $30K ORIF surgery, and eight weeks in a sling...)

5. "You've had a tough / great / boring / easy week. You deserve this..."

6. "You only live once. Why not?"
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
2. "Get the box of wine, that way you won't have to worry about running out and nobody can tell how much you've had. It's cheaper anyway."

3. "Go to a different store this time so nobody can tell you just bought a fifth last night and emptied it."
These two really struck me.

Google'd whether I could dilute the bottle a little like a teenager who'd snuck his parent's booze? Yes.

Mixed half of today's fifth into yesterday's almost-empty one before my girlfriend would see it? Yes.

Based when I went to the store on my exacting knowledge of which guys are working when and who I bought from last time? Yes.

Felt terribly guilty and shameful but did it anyway? Absolutely