Class of July 2015 Part 3

Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back lovehoops

D
Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning all . Long hot day ahead. Hope to go whitewater paddle in the morning. Not lot of water, but it'll do to free up the soul !
Counselor meeting tonight. Nervous
Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning! Day 3. Actually not feeling too bad but it is still early. It is a beautiful day in PA--sunshine, finally. Hoping to get some free vitamin D.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Starting my 13th day of sobriety. Wish I could say I feel all shiny and wonderful, but I don't. But, I do feel hope, and that's good enough for now.

I can relate to everything whiteturtle said. To me, drinking was like being in prison. Trapped, yeah, but I knew that prison very well, every inch of it, all the routines, all the patterns. I knew what to expect.

Sobriety, to me, is like someone opened the jail cell. The outside world is an unknown world, like being in the woods, sorta semi-lost. Their are some half-remembered paths, some familiar places, but, overall, it feels strange and different from the jail cell I was so used to.

But we know we'll find our way and learn to enjoy being free! That's my hope.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone this is the start of day 4 for me. It's been amazing to me the last three days how crappy I feel at night, how intense the battle in my mind rages, and how peaceful and content and happy I feel in the morning. I'm so grateful I didn't drink last night. May god help me get through another day sober.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Checking in......hangin in

Not too much to say right now......still around tho and having read everything glad to see you are all too....

Later.....
Old 07-16-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 5 here, I haven't been sober for 5 days in a long long time. Need to start planning course of action now that withdraws have passed
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Woke up sober to day 11. Been having sleeping issues and last two nights been wide awake at 0130am. Mild cravings yesterday but pushed through it.

Good day at the gym this morning. May have been the excercise but I had a terrible episode of the dry heaves walking to the car. It went on for almost two minutes then subsided. Hit me again about 3 minutes later just as I pulled onto the highway. Had to pull over, but seems to have passed. Will continue the struggle and look foword to Day 12.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi class, Day 7 here and feeling pretty good. Baby had me up at 3:30 and then was up for good at 6 so a little tired. Although, I think that is helping to keep my AV at bay. Lack of sleep + hangover would just be too much to bear with 2 little ones and no chance of a nap.

Beautiful day here in northeast so going to get out and enjoy. Hope everyone has a wonderful and sober day. Keep fighting the good fight!!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Day 13...squeaky clean even though I'm not convinced my IOP therapy will be of any real benefit to me, only 2 days into it so keeping an open mind for sure!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks for the new thread D

Your doing great guys
Old 07-16-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Day 37. Woke up at 6AM this morning. Technicolor sunrise was beautiful. The clouds have finally cleared out and the endless rains have subsided. (It's been WET in the midwest USA from El Nino.)

Joints are sore, but that's OK. It comes with being oldish. A hot shower and a cup off coffee on the back deck have me feeling better. Brisk 53F outside, morning dew on the grass, birds singing their lungs out.

It was never this nice when I'd wake up at 8AM still half drunk. The crispness of reality is kind of cool.

Take care all of you. My thoughts go to all who are starting this journey.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
whiteturtle, I missed this paragraph in your original post and wanted to address it a bit now:

You won't have to fight this forever. You're very early in sobriety right now and your addiction is getting worried and putting up a good fight. A fight that it will lose as long as you don't feed that addiction. It gets better, I promise. Proof is in the hundreds upon hundreds of active users here like Dee with years of continuous sobriety and recovery. They all say it gets better with some time and action on our part. Every single one of them. I don't think they're lying to us.

I know this is hard now but please please please don't quit right before the miracle happens. There is a better way of life waiting for you and I think you already know you're not going to find that in the bottom of a wine bottle. Give sobriety a real chance.

I always look forward to your posts in large part because of their honesty about yourself and your compassion toward others here. You're in my thoughts and prayers tonight...
This is so helpful and true, thanks Casey!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello! I would like to join this group as well. This is just my second day on the site and I am not sure how it works really, but I know I need a bigger support group than only myself
Old 07-16-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome 4 Stars youl find loads & loads support here congrats on your 2nd day at SR
Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 13: Had my first drinking dream ever last night. Woke up pretty panicked that I had blown my recovery, but then felt pretty relieved. It was a nice reminder of how viscerally crappy it can feel to fall off the wagon, even for just one drink.

Have a great sober day, everybody! For all the new people, welcome! If you're anything like me, Day 1 was an emotional and physical wreck...but have some patience and it will pass. I've tried the "Just a drink or two to help me get through the withdrawals" strategy and, trust me, it doesn't work. In my experience spending time sober, no matter how rough, is the only cure for that Day 1 angst and discomfort. Relax and wait it out!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobBFree33 View Post
I can relate to everything whiteturtle said. To me, drinking was like being in prison. Trapped, yeah, but I knew that prison very well, every inch of it, all the routines, all the patterns. I knew what to expect.

Sobriety, to me, is like someone opened the jail cell. The outside world is an unknown world, like being in the woods, sorta semi-lost. Their are some half-remembered paths, some familiar places, but, overall, it feels strange and different from the jail cell I was so used to.

But we know we'll find our way and learn to enjoy being free! That's my hope.
Love this, Bob. So true. It was like being in prison when drinking, but now the beast (desire for it) is locked up and I'm free. I like it as an actual visual--keeps up the confidence in being in charge!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Checking in on the start of day 13. I am forcing myself to go out with a dear friend/co-worker who has been going through her own set of issues this summer. We have stayed on the phone for hours each day growing stronger together, but basically staying away from the outside world. She knows my struggle with alcohol and getting sober, so I am not worried about being tempted to drink. We are supposed to do a bit of shopping for the new school year and go see a movie. I was a little nervous about that but then another old teacher friend invited me to meet up for coffee this afternoon while she's in town. I just felt too overwhelmed to meet up with her too. She's not a drinker. I wish I could do both but I don't feel like I am ready to go back out into a busy, eventful life right now. Ughhhhh I am trying not to feel guilty for turning her down a second time this summer.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ladybug and 4stars! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

I misposted...day 14 for me! Welcome newcomers!

Looks like every month is a good time to quit!