Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 47

Old 08-19-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Morning Undies

Day 35 here 5 weeks woop!

Quickly checking in before I get going for the day. Thanks for all the kind comments about wanting to learn more about the Buddhist recovery route I have been exploring. I have finished the book now so I will write a brief synopsis for you all tonight

I'm definitely going to stick with it. I think it works very well as an aide to the SMART stuff I was already doing.

Plan for today is a bike ride. There's a very nice coffee shop about 12 miles away from me so I'm going to ride there, have some delicious cake and head back, providing the weather stays nice!

Have a great day all
Old 08-19-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

B^3 - well done on 5 weeks.

Cycling towards cake is one of life's true pleasures
Old 08-19-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

B3, congrats on 5 weeks!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Just a couple of lines saying I am moving right along. Day 30 for me! I feel like it's a huge accomplishment to be a whole month! Still dealing with some triggers and stressers that normal life will give us. Learning to handle them sober is the key! I welcome it a hundred times hands down over giving in to the alcohol any day!
Have a great day peeps!

Happy glow here.....
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Congratulations, KeyofC!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Congrats, KeyofC! Sounds like you've got a great attitude :-)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 30, KeyofC!

Quick check-in to start day 104 for me. I'm off work on Wednesdays and Thursdays so this is the start of my weekend. It was kind of a rough week at work. We were very busy and things just didn't run very smooth for a variety of reasons. Oh well, it's over now. I'm sure the next work week will be better.

No big plans for my time off. Do some laundry, go to a couple of AA meetings, read a lot, watch some television, and, of course, spend some time here on SR.

Hope everyone has a safe and sober Wednesday!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Casey, 104 days!!! Sorry your week hasn't been great but your weekend plans sound good.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hi all! Doing good. Just past 3 months.
Visiting family and friends before I leave for work for the next few months.

Casey, enjoy your days off! I always like having a few days off with no real plan. I always manage to work in a nap 😀
Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Toadie - Great job on 40+ days!

KeyofC - Fantastic work making it to 30 days!

Casey - Awesome that you're on day 104.

Site - Way to go on 3 plus months.

BeFree - Great job hanging on, girl!

B3 - I agree with Fradley that cycling to cake sounds wonderful! And for me finding learning to find something wonderful in each and every day was the key to sobriety early on. In active addition I saw activities in my life as obligations that stood between me and my release at the end of the day.

Early in my addiction my release was at the end of the week. As it progresses it turned into a release mid week and weekends, and by the time I quit drinking it was a release some 5 days a week. I've heard enough alcoholics' stories to know alcoholism is progressive.

In recovery taking steps to make the here and now fulfilling fed my sobriety. It took a lot of soul searching to understand what I like, then a plan of action to follow through. I remembered that I liked to hike, and learn new things, and make my own money -- and before I knew it I was moving forward toward a whole new career. Reading about you hopping on your bike to get a piece of cake reminds me of my early days in sobriety.

Carlos - It's great to bring up the topic of giving back. In active addiction I thought my worth hinged on how much I could "help" others, and boy did I think I had a lot of gems to share. Maybe I did, but that's not the point. One thing I've learned is the incredible value of sharing MY experience, strength and hope, as opposed to my opinions on what others should do. That's what I try to do on SR and AA.

Gratitude is one of the first things I learned on this journey. I've always known that I have a good life, but practicing gratitude has taught me to feel how good life is. Today I'm wrapping up a family vacation. I was standing up close to Niagara Falls, thinking how incredibly grateful I am to visit one of the natural wonders of the universe with two of the most wonderful people in my universe, my kids. This gratitude didn't happen overnight, and I'm happy to report isn't situational "just because I'm on vacation." Last year I was on a vacation in a uniquely beautiful New England coastal location and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Today's gratitude is a direct reward from working every day on getting healthy - sometimes getting it right, other times failing, always trying.

Let's keep doing this together, Undies.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Really pleased to be hitting 4 months today. A third of a year is a great time for reflection. I mentioned it in my group the other day and thought I'd do the same here.

I wanted to attach a photo of a place that I have been going to every month since all this started. I took it yesterday with my phone but apparently it's too big to upload onto this site. Anyway, where I live is an isthmus. That means that the city is only joined onto the mainland by a narrow strip of land. If you google "Cadiz aerial view" you will see what I mean. On the 20th April I was hungover and depressed. It was a Monday morning and the working week was rearing up in front of me like a kind of hellish roller coaster. I'd been "giving up" drinking almost every day for the previous month but I couldn't get past the first evening.

That Monday something changed in me. I ran out along the beach as far as I could go and at the end I looked back into town along the miles of sand and I knew it didn't have to be like this anymore. I could change. When I got back home I had a shower and dusted off my abandoned SR account.

Now I make sure I go back there around the time of my monthly anniversary. Yesterday was my 4th visit. I take a photo every time so I think after year if I'm still going (please God!!!), I will get the 12 photos developed and frame them for my study. It will be something significant for me and a good reminder of how hard and how far this journey can take you.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Cadiz looks pretty darn cool Amp! Love your "journey".
Old 08-20-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Congrations, Amp!

That's a really cool idea!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

KeyofC congrats on 30 days!

GF enjoy your trip!

Just checking in real quick before womp.

Have a good day everyone
Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Amp, congrats on four months! I think that monthly visit and photo at the beach is an amazing idea.

Starting day 105 here in West Texas. Nothing new to report. Off work today, about to head to the library. Sobriety and recovery get a little better and a little more my normal state of being each and every day.

Wishing you all a safe and sober Thursday!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Site, congrats on 3 months!

Amp, wonderful milestone to reach at 4 months and I love your photo project. You'll always have those pics to remind you :-)
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Amp congrats on 4 months. That's an awesome idea about taking the pictures.

I had some cravings today to drink and ended up going to a meeting with some friends. I had been to it before a little over a year ago and liked it. However it has totally changed and was very uncomfortable with all the reading I had to do. Hoping I can find the courage to try out some other meetings.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope so too BF

D
Old 08-21-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the encouragement, everyone!!!

Hope you find the right meeting for you, BF!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

BF, I too hope that you find a different meeting or two that are more to your liking. My goal is a simple one for meetings...I am looking for a morsel or two to take home...if I find more, all the better. My experience has been that some of the things that were said at meetings in those first few months were some of the things that I needed to add to my tool box - but I just didn't know it at that time. Again, that was just my experience. My best in your search!

Amp, I enjoyed reading your sick and tired of being sick and tired story. Thanks

Casey, I am off to either the library or Panera in a bit to do some creative thinking for work. Libraries have a soft spot for me. I volunteered at a library via court order a few years ago from a DUI. I went from straitening out the shelves and dusting day one to having an office and helping with marketing, branding, working on creating a more friendly patron experience and fundraising campaigns by day 2. I learned a lot about libraries and just love them!

Glee, learning to keep gratitude in my PRESENT tense has proven a powerful tool in recovery. It becomes especially critical and helpful when times are challenging and I want to change what I cannot, instead of simply changing my perception.

KoC, I am with you, letting myself feel life on life's terms vs a cowardly masking with booze wins by a large margin...haha, who knew?

Hello to all and congrats to any celebrating clean and sober milestones.

Must dash for now...anyway, one last tidbit. A few of us started a Whole 30 thread on Fitness and Healthy eating board. I will list the link below...pop over and see if you want to join us on the 30 day journey to amazing health results. Me thinks Glee made a commitment?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-31-whos.html

Enjoy the day and steer clear of the bad stuff...okay?

Carlos