Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 47

Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Hi undies.

Woke up in a bit of a funk thinking about my last relapse for some reason and how I was days away from a year. I thought to myself tho there's nothing I can do at this point to change what happened except keep moving forward so that it doesn't happen again.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome keyofC

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Hi undies.

Woke up in a bit of a funk thinking about my last relapse for some reason and how I was days away from a year.
I reckon all any of us can really lay claim to is being sober today - and today really is the most important day ever...until tomorrow

the day count can be a distraction sometimes I think...don't let your AV have too much free reign with it BF
Old 08-10-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

I went to my home group meeting tonight. It was inspiring to hear people with long term sobriety discuss how they take stock of whether they're living right.

BoozeFree - Try not to give your number of days sober too much weight. Learn from your relapse, and keep moving forward. I can only speak from my experience, but when I'm down, the best thing for me is to get out and do something, preferably around other people - whether it's a trip to the library, shopping, taking a walk, going to an AA meeting, calling a friend, etc.

Casey - I think you made a great decision to stay away from the bartender job. Great job putting your sobriety first.

Dharma - Great doggie pic!

Keyofc - Welcome and congrats on 21 days sober! I look forward to hearing from you.

Fradley - I'm not as smart as I used to think I was, either. Haha. Humility and honesty have played a large role in living my life differently.

Mets - I'm glad you had a wonderful sober vacation. I find that accomplishing things sober that I'd only ever done while drinking creates positive momentum and confidence that I can do the next thing sober.

BBB - I remembered a lot of long forgotten dreams when I got sober. Recovery also created space for new ones. This is a great opportunity to grow.

In taking stock of how I handled a snafu at work, I think I got caught up in justifiable anger, in making sure I was being treated fairly, and being angry that I wasn't, rather than try to understand the other party. Trying to understand rather than worry about whether I'm understood is a new concept for me. I'm learning how to live right in recovery.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post

Casey - I think you made a great decision to stay away from the bartender job. Great job putting your sobriety first.
Thanks, but it wasn't even really a decision. There was no thought or weighing of options necessary. It was just an immediate "No thanks. Working behind the bar is not for me."

Goodnight, fellow Undies!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Hey KeyofC! Musical name? What's the story?
I performed country music, gospel and a little bluegrass in Ky, Ohio, Indiana, and Tennessee for 19 years! Love it so much but there's a lot of grey in the musical world. Thanks for asking! I haven't performed in a while. Guess it was the first sign that something needed to change.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome here! Thank God for another day sober. Now let's go another 24! "To change means feeling uncomfortable for a while". I am feeling this first hand. Still even after 22 days I feel I'm on a emotional roller coaster! I'm hoping it gets easier and I "sigh" a lot thinking it helps ease the uneasiness. Thank you Jesus for not giving up on me! I'm not a quitter so get them boots on and go to work! Thanks for sharing everyone!
Old 08-11-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post

I performed country music, gospel and a little bluegrass in Ky, Ohio, Indiana, and Tennessee for 19 years! Love it so much but there's a lot of grey in the musical world. Thanks for asking! I haven't performed in a while. Guess it was the first sign that something needed to change.
I'm a musician too. String instruments and vocals. I know what you mean about the grey in the musical world. Since I got sober I've had to break up with my band and recently announced my retirement from the live music scene. It's something I can't be around, at least for now. Sobriety is my number one priority which makes music number 2. It made me sad to sell some of my guitars (gave up the rehearsal rooms so didn't have space) but recently I've also felt liberated by having less responsibility.

Every cloud has a silver lining, you know?

Congrats on 22 days! The emotional rollercoaster thing is normal. Started slowing down for me around 2 and a half months though still pops up from time to time...

Have a great day, all!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Good morning, Unders!

I'm having a bout of bad insomnia but alcohol will only make it worse so it's not even on my radar. Somehow getting over that hump of one year sober has been big for me. I am finally seeing myself as a non-drinker. It's liberating :-)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

amp123,
Thank you for sharing! I had tried to reply too quickly before I read you had already replied. I never could handle the bar scene in the first place. I performed at sit down venues only like the Grand Ol Opry. (They serve alcohol, but it's nothing like a bar scene at all.) Learned early on I couldn't be in a smoky atmosphere and drink like I drink and sing worth a crap. I never drank and performed. My voice wouldn't let me. I could have a beer or two but that was it. Now I could get pretty tight earlier in the day, sober up, and get lit afterwards, but not during. There's nothing like that "high" as the one we get being on stage. I miss that so much. But yes life goes on and I like you want my sobriety more than I do to put myself back in that very vulnerable position again. I am finding that I can paint and draw really well. I think I am going to explore that..

PS I am so looking forward to getting off this emotional roller coaster...feeling sick with it.
I relate with getting rid of stuff too. I have hung onto my "show clothes" far too long. Once I didn't have my home away from home room anymore it was like I was moving back into my home when I brought that stuff back. I am going on vacation at the end of the month and I plan to excavate all of that because I don't foresee myself singing anytime soon. If I do I will come out with a completely new me, completely refurbished!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

I'm a musician too. String instruments and vocals. I know what you mean about the grey in the musical world. Since I got sober I've had to break up with my band and recently announced my retirement from the live music scene. It's something I can't be around, at least for now. Sobriety is my number one priority which makes music number 2. It made me sad to sell some of my guitars (gave up the rehearsal rooms so didn't have space) but recently I've also felt liberated by having less responsibility. Every cloud has a silver lining, you know? Congrats on 22 days! The emotional rollercoaster thing is normal. Started slowing down for me around 2 and a half months though still pops up from time to time... Have a great day, all!
I'm making a return to performing after a long break (one that preceded sobriety). After 8 months sober and two sober gigs (that included sober rehearsals) I feel like it's time. I wouldn't have felt that way early on, but I've gotten my "sober legs" as I've heard it referred to on this site. I actually enjoy adding sobriety to this part of my life. I've found that I don't need it to perform, which was a big breakthrough. Everything is more consistent sober and I have more control. Preparation includes more foresight and focus sober. More control. And it's more relaxed- something that seems paradoxical, but feels perfectly natural. Don't let your talents go fallow over drinking. By all means take a break and learn how to be around that world sober- but it would be ashamed to let alcohol force us away from something we love.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Hi all. i have been super busy, but I think things are calming down, but now I'm way behind on reading! Hopefully I'll get to catch up a bit, although today I have a few things to do, so won't have a lot of time.

Also going to a concert tonight. So excited! And I never drink at concerts, so that won't even be a problem for me.

Hope everyone is doing well!!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Feeling very strange today - what I would call a "day two" feeling - Edgy. Excitable. A bit lost. "AV: OK you have cracked it - you win - so now what ? " Does this make sense to anyone ?

I'm can't settle, which is annoying as I have a totally peaceful home work environment during the day today and a couple of projects I am looking forward to doing but just - can't - start. Grr.

More positively and to continue the musical theme...

One thing that has changed is my piano playing , This is the instrument I learned as a child, but gave up. I rarely played when I was drinking other than to knock out a few tunes every now and again, either on request or just for fun

I have been practicing in the evenings ( rather than drinking ) and this has made a difference.

Modesty aside, I am playing quite beautifully now and and finding so much more space while playing to add expression to a piece. I actually quite enjoy listening to 'me' play.

This is important, I feel because I would have told anyone during the last 20 years that I has reached the limit of my abilities with the piano. The last couple of months ( sober) have proved this not to be the case.

Key of C - I am also finding I can draw better now than
before too. I have young kiddies and they have now realised that they can ask daddy to draw stuff for them, so perhaps I am getting more practice. But I think also that the booze stifled my ability to see things as they were and translate that into a drawing.

It is the same with music. Improvisation is getting alittle easier and I find I can harmonise easier when singing - bizarre

I also play guitar and bass guitar. The bass is new for me and all about technique. Amusingly I have realised that I can actually play bass quite well now - which wasn't the case when I was in a band for two years (!) - It was in time and all the notes were correct, but I now realise why my fingers and hands hurt so much afterwards

The point of all this rambling is I think to react to my 'inner critic' which has spent the morning telling me what a loser I am. This I feel has led to the detachment I'm feeling right now ( although better for posting this ).

Addiction seems to be deeply linked to self esteem from what I have read here and elsewhere.

Removing the booze seems to have lifted a veil when it comes to creativity.

I just need to accept that I actually can do more than I told myself I was capable of - and get on with it.

Day 67 feels like day two - maybe because 67 is two thirds of 100?

I have been telling myself that once I get to 100 I can breathe out, loosen my grip a little and start to enjoy the sober life I have - safer in the knowledge that no-one can take it away from me .

It is now 11.30, and I should have started working at 9. Instead I have wandered around the house doing random things, having conversations with myself, playing musical instruments and latterly writing this.

1. This is the way I am. And this is where my creativity comes from

2. I never let anyone down, so teh work will get done

3. I work for myself and this was a choice. One of the benefits of this choice is to do things like this

4. I feel better now than I did 2 hours ago. So what is the problem ?

Deep breath out

Thanks for listening and have a good day everyone,

Fradley
Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Well, Fradley, you may be restless and antsy, but in posting here you did a really excellent thing! Not only have you encouraged others, but you have reinforced the benefits of recovery to yourself, too!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sup Undie Mates,

Added a couple of bullets to my signature.

The last one is the one that really flipped my switch.

Hope it saves a soul or 2.

Wandered to aa online website last night.

Saw something about the 90 in 90 and about us newbs talking too much in meetings.

One of the techniques used regarding how the vets handle newb over participation in meetings was funny.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hi, D122y!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Good morning, all!

Welcome D122y.

Fradley, perhaps your creativity was suppressed by the alcohol? It's also easy to ascribe everything to our addiction and some feelings were maybe simply suppressed when we were drinking? Great that you are finding so much to enjoy and that you are feeling better about yourself. One thing I have found is that I will never be so solidly sober that I can ignore the work that I need to do. It does get easier over time. My longest sober spell was 13 years and I thought I had arrived. Now I have accepted that I will always be an addict.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hey Fradley,

Thinking about your AV:

"OK, you've cracked this. You win. Now what?"

Could be lulling you into a false sense of security? If it can convince you that the job's done then there's a chance you may stop working on your sobriety, thereby playing right into its hands.

Just something that occurred to me.

Nice to hear you're enjoying your music. It's interesting to see how differently sobriety works with different people. Personally I haven't written a note for months and have hardly picked up an instrument. I started a new gypsy jazz piece recently but finding it hard to centre. Maybe playing music is just a bit difficult for me at the moment as it's been so hard (but necessary) to let go of that part of my life.

Anyway, hope you're all having a good day. Take care
Old 08-12-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fradley View Post
Hello everyone,

Feeling very strange today - what I would call a "day two" feeling - Edgy. Excitable. A bit lost. "AV: OK you have cracked it - you win - so now what ? " Does this make sense to anyone ?

I'm can't settle, which is annoying as I have a totally peaceful home work environment during the day today and a couple of projects I am looking forward to doing but just - can't - start. Grr.

More positively and to continue the musical theme...

One thing that has changed is my piano playing , This is the instrument I learned as a child, but gave up. I rarely played when I was drinking other than to knock out a few tunes every now and again, either on request or just for fun

I have been practicing in the evenings ( rather than drinking ) and this has made a difference.

Modesty aside, I am playing quite beautifully now and and finding so much more space while playing to add expression to a piece. I actually quite enjoy listening to 'me' play.

This is important, I feel because I would have told anyone during the last 20 years that I has reached the limit of my abilities with the piano. The last couple of months ( sober) have proved this not to be the case.

Key of C - I am also finding I can draw better now than
before too. I have young kiddies and they have now realised that they can ask daddy to draw stuff for them, so perhaps I am getting more practice. But I think also that the booze stifled my ability to see things as they were and translate that into a drawing.

It is the same with music. Improvisation is getting alittle easier and I find I can harmonise easier when singing - bizarre

I also play guitar and bass guitar. The bass is new for me and all about technique. Amusingly I have realised that I can actually play bass quite well now - which wasn't the case when I was in a band for two years (!) - It was in time and all the notes were correct, but I now realise why my fingers and hands hurt so much afterwards

The point of all this rambling is I think to react to my 'inner critic' which has spent the morning telling me what a loser I am. This I feel has led to the detachment I'm feeling right now ( although better for posting this ).

Addiction seems to be deeply linked to self esteem from what I have read here and elsewhere.

Removing the booze seems to have lifted a veil when it comes to creativity.

I just need to accept that I actually can do more than I told myself I was capable of - and get on with it.

Day 67 feels like day two - maybe because 67 is two thirds of 100?

I have been telling myself that once I get to 100 I can breathe out, loosen my grip a little and start to enjoy the sober life I have - safer in the knowledge that no-one can take it away from me .

It is now 11.30, and I should have started working at 9. Instead I have wandered around the house doing random things, having conversations with myself, playing musical instruments and latterly writing this.

1. This is the way I am. And this is where my creativity comes from

2. I never let anyone down, so teh work will get done

3. I work for myself and this was a choice. One of the benefits of this choice is to do things like this

4. I feel better now than I did 2 hours ago. So what is the problem ?

Deep breath out

Thanks for listening and have a good day everyone,

Fradley
Hey! So nice to meet you! I like meeting new people but its nice to meet fellow musicians and performers. We are a different breed all in our own right, that's for sure! I agree and can relate with so much you've said here! Congrats on hashing it out and making your own self see the reasoning behind what the heck you were feeling. I hash it out on a regular basis and sometimes two or three times a day in my blog. It helps. I have a board here at work that I have always put some kind of quote on it whether it be motivational or for myself. Recently I have started adding artwork which has taken up most of the board and a lesser quote. "Brevity-the art of saying a lot with very few words". So now everyone is telling me I should explore that. I have never had lessons just free hand from looking at something. I now have bought a sketch pad and color pencils..I am still fragile as I like to call it only 23 days under my belt. I haven't sang in a while. It was my passion. I lived it. I practiced every day, 2-3 hours a day not including shows on the weekends. I'm not sure what that's about...I guess it will come in time.
Thank you God for another 24 hours!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hey Fradley,

Thinking about your AV:

"OK, you've cracked this. You win. Now what?"

Could be lulling you into a false sense of security? If it can convince you that the job's done then there's a chance you may stop working on your sobriety, thereby playing right into its hands.

Just something that occurred to me.

Nice to hear you're enjoying your music. It's interesting to see how differently sobriety works with different people. Personally I haven't written a note for months and have hardly picked up an instrument. I started a new gypsy jazz piece recently but finding it hard to centre. Maybe playing music is just a bit difficult for me at the moment as it's been so hard (but necessary) to let go of that part of my life.

Anyway, hope you're all having a good day. Take care
Yep totally relate here too!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hello again, it has just gone midnight, so it is day 68.

Amp. Key, - weird that music seems to have taken a back seat for you guys. It wil be interesting to see what form it takes when it re-emerges - ( which it surely will because we are all musos until we die, and probably after too, hey ? )

I suppose as a 'resting' performer, it wasn't so much part of my daily life, so now it is finding its place again.

One thing I am certain of though, is that we will all find more balance and peace as we move along this journey and whatever emerges will be real and true. I love reading the posts and comments from folks from 'the future' as I call it. You emanate real wisdom and grace and inspire me to continue.

Reflecting on my drinking years ( the last decade at least ) I seem to have lived life in a state of permanent skid. I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with all this extra time I'm going to have, now I'm getting back in control.

For now most of my energy and time is used up ensuring I stay sober and throwing myself into re-vitalising my business, but the time will come when I can start to concentrate more on creative stuff that has either been neglected or rushed.

Its The Wednesday night/Thursday morning where I work late and then loathe the fact I have to be up at 5 to hit a network breakfast meeting.

I can either go to bed and leave a few things undone - or plough on till 3am and get two hours sleep.

Whatever, I keep reminding myself that <3 months ago I would have been fast asleep on the sofa with a wine glass resting on my chest.

I'll take the two hours sleep once a week over that choice every time !

Thanks again for listening. I'm going to be less verbose and self-absorbed as time goes on, I promise.

Go well

Fradley