Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 47

Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Just waiting to pick up my mum from a delayed flight down and in Gibraltar and came across this article about the advantage of staying sober. I'm always on at my kids to be "caring sharing" and to stop being a "selfish shellfish" (which really winds them up ) so I thought I'd be a little caring sharing myself!! Here you go:

http://serenity-houses.org/2013/09/f...staying-sober/
Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

The plan was to spend Sunday catching up on on work projects and getting everything in order for what will probably be a hectic August.

I'm self employed and we are just coming out of a two month very lean period ( prospects are good, confidence is high, but cash has been non-existent - that is the way it goes, and I wouldn't swap it for my well paid 'proper' job I once had )

Any-way - it was THE MOST beautiful mid-winters day, so we went out for breakfast, then kiddies played in the garden and I set aside an hour for digging a little plot to plant herbs and veggies.

The smell of fresh earth and sight of uprooted weeds inspired me to move on cut back a few brambles and before I new it I was sawing away at an old tree, all spindly and enmeshed with more healthy climbers and bushes.

I took tea and toasted sandwiches more or less on the run , then returned to my hacking and - after a call for rope - was soon hauling the base of said tree from the earth with a triumphant whoop.

As the sun began to sink, I was surveying my pile of brambles, vines, twigs, weeds, and branches and wondering how to get them to the front of the house.

The obvious choice was to manhandle them past various cumbersome household necesseities and throw them over a wall onto my driveway. I started just chucking with the light stuff and progressed onto more advanced techniques to despatch either heavier or more weirdly shaped items drawing on decades of passive watching of olympians at work with discus, hammer and javelin.

As night fell, and my family hid watching TV, I was pacing around my house shirtless and bleeding lightly from multiple scratches, panting slowly with the furious pride of a man who has 'done a bit of gardening'.

All of this was way, WAY, better than either working or drinking, and I just wanted to share.

2 am now on a Tuesday morning ( so work did get me in the end ), but I'm welcoming in day 59 with a smile.

Go well everyone

Fradley
Old 08-03-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

GrikNus - Congratulations on 8 months!! Great job making it through a boozy family event with your sobriety intact.

Bringingbackb - Welcome and way to go on 19 days!

Dharma - It's nice to see you! Great job on 81 days sober!

Casey - Excellent work on 88 days sober! Keep charting that new territory.

Amp - Thanks for sharing!

Fradley - Great job on 59 days sober - and doing some "light gardening."

BoozeFree - I hope you had a nice, relaxing day.

Dee - I'm pleased to report that I don't care if I was rude. Neither do I feel badly if I was rude nor do I feel that I deserved to be rude. Talk about progress!

It's nice to see everyone enjoying their sober activities - or is it that you're enjoying your activities while sober? Mondays are super busy at work and my home group meeting night. Now that I'm finally home I'm settling in with lemon seltzer, SR, and a little mindless TV before bed. As insurmountable as it may have seemed on Day One, we're all doing it day after day, one day at a time.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I'm going to do a heartfelt echo of Glee's congrats and comments above! It's past my bedtime but I wanted to check in. I love how busy this thread has become again with our new faces.

I've noticed how the content of the various threads are sometimes so very different and all are a good place for me. The Newcomers' can be raw and sometimes discouraging but I try to look on the positive side that some will make it to a happier sober life. Here in the Undies it feels to me that we are sharing our milestones and our thinking/experience of our much better sober lives. My "home" thread is a lovely gathering of comfortable "old" friends who enjoy staying in touch. I feel so very fortunate to have found SR!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be day 99 for me. It's amazing how much better I feel and all the positives. Life isn't perfect but like they say my worst day sober is so much better than my best day drinking. It's nice to enjoy simple pleasures again. It's just nice to enjoy anything again. I can't wait to see how I feel at day 200 and on and on.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Way to go, Angie!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congrats on 8 months GnikNus, and well done on surviving your first family gathering sober while those around you drank. Never easy especially when you are renown for being 'the life and soul ' ( reads as drunk fool) as I always was!

Dee I have found in sobriety that the pushiest or least understanding of my sobriety do indeed have an unhealthy relationship themselves with booze.

Fradley- caveman chest pounding with pride! Love it!! seriously achievement is achievement and one thing with gardening is that you do indeed get an end result you can be proud of.

Amp thanks for the link any reminder of why we do what we do and for whatever reasons is always good.

All y'all are going great. Keep on keeping on.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Good to see you, BringingBackB!

Congratulations on 99, Angie.

Fradley, that account made pulling weeds sound so invigorating! I can feel my adrenaline pumping! (Not enough to actually pull any weeds myself, mind you--but certainly my spirits are now on a higher plane!).
Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Congrats on 99 Angie and happy uprooting to you Fradley!!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

It's now about 7:30AM. I guess it's good that I'm up this early. When I was actively drinking, I never was. I think that since my body isn't used to the alcohol, it woke me up.

In summary, I feel like crap right now. I am angry as heck at myself and had to take Advil to get rid of a headache, which I haven't had to do since February. It's also such a horrible feeling to check the outbox on my personal email, work email, school email and texts. As of now, I haven't found anything that is bad/embarrassing, so there's some relief.

Day 1, again. Stinks, but I am 100% determined to make last night a one-off and not a pattern.
Hang in there Mets. This is only my second day here and sober but man your words are inspiring!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Good morning undies.
Off to womp.
I have 3 weeks to hire someone for a position we have open and no one has been applying. So hoping someone will this week.

Have a good day
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Good luck with the recruitment BF. I'm taking time off work this month and although it's only 4th August I already feel miles away! It's my 14th wedding anniversary today and this year and I feel like kicking the drink has improved my life and relationships in so many ways.

Putting my partner first as opposed to burning all my energy on alcohol management (or the lack thereof) has made for a happy and optimistic outlook, not something either of us have experienced for some time!

I owe so much to sobriety and of course all of you here on SR who have helped make it possible.

My biggest stress about kicking the booze was about breaking up with my band as I find being in the music scene too much right now, but guess what? I'm not really missing it. Enjoying throwing energy into the areas of my life I've previously neglected. If someone had told me six months ago that by now I would be alcohol free for 15 weeks and that I'd have quit the music scene I'd have said they were crazy. Now I can see that the crazy one was me!! I can't begin to express how much better my life is in so many ways!

Anyway, enough droning on! Hope you're all having a good day!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Happy anniversary, amp!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Yes, happy anniversary!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Have a very happy anniversary, Amp!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Omedayaddatime - Welcome! Way to go on two days sober!!

Angie - Great job on 99 days!

Amp - I am blown away by the way you have embraced your life in sobriety, and really happy for you. When I quit drinking I expected I'd lose a couple pounds and that life would go on as it always had. I was completely wrong! If you told me seventeen months ago that I'd seriously consider leaving my husband, take a full time corporate job, and go to AA, I'd never have believed you, or expected that I'd be happy under those circumstances, but I am - so I understand what you mean!

BoozeFree - Good luck finding your new employee. I hope the search goes well.

Saskia - It's good to see you willing to share your experiences with all of us. I appreciate your input so much. I bet the newcomers do too. Your greeting can be the inspiration for someone who's struggling to come back.

Hi Gilmer! Hi Toots!

What helps me embrace my sober day the best way I can is by talking to or texting other alcoholics in recovery every day. I also go to AA, where I'm currently working on Step One. The guidance and advice from other people in recovery helps me live my life right, and we all help each other stay sober. Thanks for all you do, Undies!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Thank you, Glee!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

I have a lot of catching up to do!

I just want to report in that I'm doing well. Stayed 100% sober during my two-week vacation in Europe and really stuck to my workout and diet plan. Two coworkers commented on my weight loss today, which was nice.

Sorry I haven't had time to catch up with this thread, but I will soon.

Have a nice evening everyone!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you checked in, nymets, and that you had a successful and sober (and successfully sober) trip!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear that NYM!