Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 7

Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Nice calm Sunday. So far anyway, gotta work my 2nd job tonight. Nice day. My first day off from working my life insurance gig.

I've been giving serious thought to dumping the insurance gig and pick up a real job. I have a ton of retail mgt experience. I was making good coin before as a district manager for the #1 home goods store in the U.S.

I was demoted to store level and later fired. All because I was lazy and was short cutting and cheating to make numbers look good. This was at a time in my life when I was extremely depressed from the loss of my father, overcoming a pain killer addiction, and divorce.

At the time, I thought this is my chance to do what I love to do. To do something that doesn't require working 80hrs a week for the same pay as 50hrs.

My problem is, I do love what I do now, but the money just isn't working. It's tough being on 100% commission. I don't have the funds to ride through the rough weeks or the chargebacks that happen when people drop their policies. It's all very very stressful.

My insurance gig requires that I buy leads. I'm responsible for sending junk mail and tele marketing calls in my area. I'm spending $1200 a week on that. Some weeks I double my money, some I break even, and some I lose. As I get better at what I do, the numbers will improve. I've always dug in and pretty much mastered everything I do. And I know I'll master sales. But it takes time. The stress is more than I can handle at times which is easily picked up by potential clients.

I've been thinking how much happier I would be if I had a retail mgt job again. Something I can do easily. Something where I would have a constant flow of money coming in. I wouldn't be stressing about making money or borrowing money from family so I can finance my weekly lead order.

It's tough because the future is a lot brighter with the insurance gig, but a retail mgt job would put me in a better place today.

I've increased my lead order and a final push to see if this will work or not. Most of the business I wrote last week went to one insurance company (I broker for 15 companies). Had a great week. Sold a lot. But....that one insurance company has fallen behind. I'm not getting paid quick enough to buy the qty of leads I need. Just another stress I have to deal with.

For now, it's all in on the insurance gig. If the next 4 weeks don't produce good profit off my investment, I'll be shopping for a job again.

As stressful as it all is at times....I know it will pass. Some time in the near future I am going to be making money. I'll be able to fix my car, pay my bills, and fun stuff like that!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hey Inc! Keep believing that you will be making good money and you will. Over the next 4 weeks, you will be busting your butt to make it work, and if it doesn't, you will find something else. Sales sounds like it's in your blood. I work a network marketing business, and I too have to make a decision this month. Do I continue to try to make it work (which means I have to really work it, not like I've been doing lately, which is really nothing) or should I just let it go and find something else. The potential is there, I just have to work it. I've put it aside for the past 4 months because I wasn't sure if its something that I loved doing, and I find that I am really missing it. I feel the old tug to get back into it and give a go, this time with more focus and conviction. I guess we just have to trust out gut instinct and do what we love to do!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Thinking about you all today hope everyone is finding some peace in the day.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hey all! Today has been a good day. Went kayaking with my kids and ate ice cream on the beach. Bicycles and cards in the afternoon. This is the life!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Just got caught up on what everyone has been up to. Still sober and glad to hear that everyone is doing well. My internet has been spotty due to the fires here. Thought I would check in. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear you're safe and well Cee Faro

D
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Cee, great to hear from you I am glad that you are well and back

Inc and Cauliflower, sounds like you both are thinking things through carefully. If you put the hard work in the rewards will come

I had a great sober day. I finally took my first surfing lesson! It was so much fun to be out in the water. Surfing is something that I've wanted to start doing for years (I live 20 minutes from the beach) but never got around to it when I was drinking. When I got sober that was one of the things on my sober bucket list. Today I was with some friends and one happened to bring a surf board and took the time to teach me and my friend. It was a great example of the good things that come when sober. I'm grateful to be ending the weekend on a high note and am going to make an effort to think positively at work tomorrow. Glad you are all well
Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Good morning all, catch up laggers.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Morning all! Nice to hear from you Cee!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Happy Monday!
None for me today. Glad I'm not starting off the week with a bigger hangover than normal. Glad I didn't wake up thinking the day / week was gonna blow. I didn't wake up feeling regret over wasting another weekend getting wasted. Lots to be thankful for.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new here on August 2015 group. Anyone care to enlighten me how posting works? I see Part 2, part 3, part 7...? Some I'm able to reply on and some not...are the older ones just closed or what? Anyway, SR has been amazing for my recovery and decision on sobriety and I'm here to stay! Day 16 of the rest of my life starts today! With a free and clear mind, body, heart, and soul.... Ahhhhh...now that's refreshing! Cheers!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hi denial! I'm afraid you've posted in the April group, not August. The way it works is that you can only post in the latest thread of your group, so posting in part one if the group's on part 17, for example, wouldn't work. A new part is started around every 500 posts. Hope that helps
Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Cee! Glad to see you here!

Swim and Amp, your beach weekend sounded so lovely. We had rain all weekend, but the sun is poking out today. I love being out on the water, so hopefully we will have some more hot weather to enjoy a swim or two before the end of summer.

Mondays used to be the bane of my existance. I am learning that it's just another day, not so bad. It`s good day to make plans for the week and reflect on a sober weekend. Hope you all have a great Monday! None for me today because I need to be sober to make my life work for me.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Here's to another day sober and free! I'm trying to break out of my little isolation cocoon. I have seriously retreated from everyone since my dad passed away, I tend to push people away naturally but it has been bad lately. If I keep on the way I'm going I will drink.

Kim, glad you are back and it was only one night. I have came very close to drinking lately myself. It could happen to any of us. The food thing is tricky, I get it. My sugar cravings are crazy right now and I never even ate sugar before. I have actually gained weight since I've been sober..Oh well, I never woke up in jail after eating a bag of cookies. So I try not to trip on it too hard.

In other news, our forest is on fire. I have been boxed in by smoke and forest fire for a few weeks now. My husband came home early from working over in Kansas last week because I thought we would need to evacuate. We are Ok for now but our neighboring town of Kamiah has pretty much burnt down. People have lost their homes, livestock, horses, pets, vehicles..It has been very scary. At this point I think it is 70% contained, so that is good.

Glad y'all are here and remember..Don't drink... no matter what!<3
Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

So scary about the fire Cee! Glad you're OK. Any idea about what you can do to change the dynamic you're in to get you out of yourself a little?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hey Amp..I'm trying to figure that out as we speak. I am very isolated as it is. No one to hold me accountable here (except the sheriff) haha. I figure I have had enough time to grieve at this point and I need to get my **** together. I do go to the gym everyday but besides that I am sitting in our cabin talking to my dogs and listening to music that reminds me of everything I don't want to think about..I need some suggestions
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

If you like reading you could join a book group if there's one based locally or maybe take up a hobby which involves social interaction?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Yes, social interaction would be good! I'm beginning to feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining ....And I do love to read.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Today is a special day.
I'm not choked by the death grip of addiction.

I declare this day to be called Free off drugs day.
Happy F-off day!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hahahaha! F-off day! Love it!