Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 2

Old 07-14-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Welcome Porcha and all the other newbies I've missed welcoming.

My head is in a bit of a better place for the moment. I actually took a little power nap. So maybe my cravings were from HALT letter T. I only slept about 3 hours last night, but I didn't really feel tired this morning. I was counting on my fingers the reasons I don't want to drink on my fingers before I fell asleep. Pretty sure I got to 13. That should be way more than enough reason not to do something right? An hour and a half and we are headed for ice cream before dinner. Lol.
I' ll be sure to get you some JL! Glad you aren't drinking today.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hello all and welcome porcha and others who have joined.
Day 9. Feeling better. Things are more clear in my head. I'm late getting ready for work but just want to say Hi and let everyone know I'm reading. It really helps to know I'm not doing this alone.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Day 2.
Something I've realised about myself is that I'm out of the habit of making detailed plans for the future, whether for this evening or goals for this time next year.
Upbringing and past circumstances have much to do with that, I think, leaving me merely "putting out fires" and doing the best I could, day to day.
I've managed to change my circumstances in the past couple of years but I sometimes visualise myself like those chickens or dogs that have been released after living in captivity: apathetic, or scurrying back to the known, when faced with a challenge in this beautiful and interesting world.
Some good counselling would probably help me with this and I may look at that soon. Meanwhile - baby-steps, little gentle tiny challenges.
Welcome, sobertaurus, toadie, porcha and anyone else new or "just looking".
You are helping others, just by being here. xx
Old 07-14-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sobertaurus, Porcha and Toadie (hope I didn't miss anyone) - welcome

Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today

Why not break out the sparkling water each night, Plath?

D
Old 07-14-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Morning all. Day 5 here.

Went out last night with a couple of friends who don't drink. They're both pretty successful in their work. All the way through my AV was saying, "how many beers shall we get on the way home?". It's so well trained from years of buying booze on my way home, no matter what time it is in the evening. I did stop in the shop and buy some sugary drink. I fear a lot of these small stores where I reside will experience a downturn in the their profits this week...

I have massively underachieved in these past 5 years. I start projects and they dwindle pretty quickly. Once I hit 35, that was when I started noticing the drop in momentum and 5 years later I'm still saying "when I get this project started", or "now is not the right time" etc etc. The drink allows me to ignore these feelings of stagnation but it also saps my energy the next day to become driven and enthusiastic, hence keeping the cycle alive. I'm not sure if this realisation will help keep me sober for long but it certainly helped last night.

Anyway, rant over.

May your day be blessed.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Welcome folks !
Old 07-14-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Welcome Sobertaurus, Porcha, and Toadie!

Finishing up day 11 out of the danger zone. But the last 2 days I've entered another danger zone. Stuff at work has been bugging me and I've been letting myself get upset about issues that, previously, I either did not notice or was too preoccupied getting over the previous night's drinking. It's good to be sharper and more with it as I can do a better job. But I'm noticing things I don't like and I'm getting annoyed by them. I've got to learn to deal with these things better. You know, when I first went into work after a night of drinking all I wanted to do was hide out in my cubicle, not talk to anyone and recover. I was petrified that somehow my secret would slip out....would someone smell alcohol on me? Did I gargle with mouthwash, shouldn't I have brought breath mints? Will that even work if I'm sweating the alcohol out of my body??? These are the things I was thinking about. Now its, "well that's certainly a dumbass policy! I'm gonna say something about it!"...So....this is my sticking point, the thing I gotta learn. I feel like Tigger at the top of the tree..."I'm gettin seasick from SEEIN too much". At least for now I have no cravings and coming here helps. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

July 12th start day

That's the start of my sober house I am building with Legos. One piece for each day, I have enough for just over 6 months... Hope I build the whole thing.

It's nice to have a visual and something physical. Maybe a silly idea but I planned and built my house so I know what the end product is at 6 months which is my goal.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good Sleepie
Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

What a neat idea Sleepie
Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
July 12th start day

That's the start of my sober house I am building with Legos. One piece for each day, I have enough for just over 6 months... Hope I build the whole thing.

It's nice to have a visual and something physical. Maybe a silly idea but I planned and built my house so I know what the end product is at 6 months which is my goal.
Now that's tangible way to build your sobriety, Sleepy! I like it!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
It's all talk until I do it though and I have just had it with this 11 and 12 days here and a good month there... June sucked and I hate so much that I failed so badly. Was doing better til June.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobBFree33 View Post
Welcome Sobertaurus, Porcha, and Toadie!

Finishing up day 11 out of the danger zone. But the last 2 days I've entered another danger zone. Stuff at work has been bugging me and I've been letting myself get upset about issues that, previously, I either did not notice or was too preoccupied getting over the previous night's drinking. It's good to be sharper and more with it as I can do a better job. But I'm noticing things I don't like and I'm getting annoyed by them. I've got to learn to deal with these things better. You know, when I first went into work after a night of drinking all I wanted to do was hide out in my cubicle, not talk to anyone and recover. I was petrified that somehow my secret would slip out....would someone smell alcohol on me? Did I gargle with mouthwash, shouldn't I have brought breath mints? Will that even work if I'm sweating the alcohol out of my body??? These are the things I was thinking about. Now its, "well that's certainly a dumbass policy! I'm gonna say something about it!"...So....this is my sticking point, the thing I gotta learn. I feel like Tigger at the top of the tree..."I'm gettin seasick from SEEIN too much". At least for now I have no cravings and coming here helps. Thanks for listening.
Bob, congrats on day 11. That has happened to me at around that day as well in the past. I notice things more and want to correct them (or have them corrected) now. A little too intense. I know things will even out. Love the Tigger quote. :-)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behindthelens View Post
Morning all. Day 5 here.

Went out last night with a couple of friends who don't drink. They're both pretty successful in their work. All the way through my AV was saying, "how many beers shall we get on the way home?". It's so well trained from years of buying booze on my way home, no matter what time it is in the evening. I did stop in the shop and buy some sugary drink. I fear a lot of these small stores where I reside will experience a downturn in the their profits this week...

I have massively underachieved in these past 5 years. I start projects and they dwindle pretty quickly. Once I hit 35, that was when I started noticing the drop in momentum and 5 years later I'm still saying "when I get this project started", or "now is not the right time" etc etc. The drink allows me to ignore these feelings of stagnation but it also saps my energy the next day to become driven and enthusiastic, hence keeping the cycle alive. I'm not sure if this realisation will help keep me sober for long but it certainly helped last night.

Anyway, rant over.

May your day be blessed.
Congrats on Day 5, BTL, that was completely me, every iota (except I preferred wine). I'm at day 9, slowing in the process of getting those projects done now and it feels great!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
July 12th start day

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! I don't have kids and have always wanted an excuse to start buying Lego again. I may have to steal a version of this one.

Ending day 68 here guys. 69 days is the longest I've ever stayed continuously sober since my very first drink back in 1999.

Glad to see so many people in this class staying strong and so many new folks jumping on board. You really do have a special group here--keep building those connections with each other. I don't know what I'd do without my Class of May 2015 and July 2013 mates. They're the foundation of my recovery this time.

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what and as long as you don't take the first you can't take the second or third or tenth that will almost inevitably follow.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Casey if anyone wanted to join me that would be great! I would love to have Sober House Lego pals
And since you already have so much time you can start building pretty far!
I went to the Lego Store, you can fill a big cup with as many pieces as you can fit for 15 dollars. A little pricey but the platform it's on was 8 bucks, really pricey! But it got me interested so if it woks, then great
Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I love The Lego house idea!!! Well class I have to report my anxiety attack yesterday led me to the store to buy wine where I cried in parking lot like a fool, but did not go in store . I did go home and drink one beer. Sooo I'm back on Day 1, which I accept. I'm sick to pieces of Day 5 coming around and defeating me three times now, it's gotta stop! I am hoping this doesn't shoot me back in the withdrawal process, the middle of night wake ups and lack of sleep can go back to the 80s now where they belong.

Can guy and JL, sorry you had rough days too, will go back and catch up on all posts later
Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

69 days is awesome Casey! Congrats! Can't wait to get there!!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Encouragement to you, Sadie1.
I bought myself some food-treats today - a bit difficult because I don't care for ice-cream or sweets and generally try to watch the diet - however, I bought macadamia nuts (high calorie to help with satiety) and fresh dates for that little bit of sweetness. Expensive, but I'll just be eating a few each day, and I can think of worse things to spend my money on! And got some 70% dark chocolate, too.
Thinking of you all and hoping your day/evening is going according to plan. xx
Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Sorry you fell off Sadie I am glad you didn't over do it, anxiety is an enormous issue for so many of us here.
Caramel that all sounds so nice!