Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 2

Old 07-14-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Day 2, feeling good. Let's go!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Checking in on day 10. Well broke down and had 1 cigarette yesterday. That was my first addiction. But I can't go back. Overall just craving nicotine. Went to a pub for dinner with friends. No urge to drink thank god.
Reading a really good book "I want to change my life"
Appears if you can get 30 minutes of exercise and 20-45 minutes of relax/meditation then it can make you really relaxed and grounded. Unsure how to fit that time in with a 1 and 5 year old. Going to work on it. Congrats to those doing well and I can relate to those that have gone back to day 1. No shame its all in the past and let's conquer today.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Wow this weekend was hard ! I barely made it through. I actually grabbed my keys Saturday evening after a good day with my wife and said, "Want some wine?" She just stared at me then said, "Are you really sure about this? Do you really need it?"

I stopped dead in my tracks, sat down in the garage for a minute and reflected. Did I really need this? No. No, I don't really need this. Hell no. So I ordered a pizza instead. And everything was better an hour later.

You let your guard down, start to go with the flow, and then WHAM! The AV comes in with a bullhorn: insulting you, teasing you, begging you, whispering to you. It's so tempting when you're not expecting it - the old habits.

35 days now. Keep keeping on.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Hi folks. I was doing really well for a good while, not drinking or smoking, getting regular exercise, being positive, and then I just slowly slid backwards and before I knew it I was hitting the same bad places I had been before. But, that doesn't mean I have to spend months or years there, so I'm back here and back to being on the right track, focused and sober, day 1.

Hope you don't mind if I join in.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Welcome, Soberlaura! You'll find great support here.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
Wow this weekend was hard ! I barely made it through. I actually grabbed my keys Saturday evening after a good day with my wife and said, "Want some wine?" She just stared at me then said, "Are you really sure about this? Do you really need it?"

I stopped dead in my tracks, sat down in the garage for a minute and reflected. Did I really need this? No. No, I don't really need this. Hell no. So I ordered a pizza instead. And everything was better an hour later.

You let your guard down, start to go with the flow, and then WHAM! The AV comes in with a bullhorn: insulting you, teasing you, begging you, whispering to you. It's so tempting when you're not expecting it - the old habits.

35 days now. Keep keeping on.
I know that scenario well, Wheels--the wham part. How good of your wife to have said that and to have had that effect on you! I now expect that to happen from time to time, so I reiterate --I don't drink and will never change my mind, and then AV rattles in its locked-up cage. I use my energy to look at it objectively. That AV wants me to reconsider, to believe that I can moderate now or that I need or deserve to drink just this one time. I look at myself as the person I want to be, ignoring the lies even while I notice the beast is squirming and I know that I really don't want to drink. As long as I objectify the desire/craving as the Beast, calling it "It" and not "me," then I can say with confidence that "It wants a drink, too bad for it." Then I just busy myself with something else. The cravings always pass. It can feel like they go on and on, but they actually pass pretty quickly. It's not that it's not hard at times, but it's a lovely momentum knowing that it'll get easier over time, becoming more second nature to ignore the AV, and that the cravings will weaken to sleep mode most of the time.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Day 7, wow it feels great to be this far again.

2Wheels it is fantastic that you stopped and thought about it. My husband has said the same thing to me a few times, sadly it males me really grumpy and kind of fuels the AV. I need to figure out how to handle that situation better of it arises again.

Off to make some french toast and then to the pool for the day.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 9.

Up super early, still upset by family stuff, but I'll

Heading out to my mother in-law's today, which will be difficult as far as not drinking goes. She, like my mom, has a glass or two every evening, and her company is reasonably pleasant, so it makes it harder to not want to sit and have a glass with her (which obviously then turns into a bottle for me).

Trying to keep my strength going, and waiting to see how the day will go.

Wishing everyone a sober morning/afternoon/evening. This would be a lot harder without all of you here.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Day 11: I finally think I've made it past the physical issues (detox, withdrawal, etc.), so now it's just a matter of keeping my mind in the right place. I've had a couple little minor cravings, thoughts like "It wouldn't be a big deal to have a beer with dinner," but I've been able to squash those pretty quickly. Oddly enough, I've really been having junk food cravings. Weird ones, like "It's midnight and I'm kind of hungry, I should order a large pizza." The last time I got sober I fell back on junk food and lazy habits that I defended as better than drinking. This time I'm trying to improve myself more fully so that drinking isn't even on my mind.

Good luck today, everyone! If it's day 1 for you, tough it out! I felt like complete **** the first day I posted on here, but it passes. This is a great place to let out some of the frustration and hurt you have in your head the first day you decide to stop.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

New July 2015 member, day 12 for me, one day of IOP therapy for substance abuse (alcohol) down, minimum 23 days (8 weeks/3 times a week) remaining.

Not sure how to take day 1 of IOP, but I'll keep an open mind!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Checking in, Day 15.

I kept looking at the clock last night while I was reading my book on the couch, thinking, "I should get to the store before it closes. I deserve some wine." I just kept reading and let the clock go past 12am, so no nearby stores were open anymore. I ended up falling asleep with my book open shortly after that...so funny how my body was that close to sleeping, and yet the AV was thinking, you don't have work until 3pm tomorrow, you don't need to sleep for another three or four hours! Perfect time to get drunk on wine! Instead of listening to that, I woke up to my boyfriend kissing my forehead at 6am as he was getting ready for work, chuckling at my book lying splayed on the floor. So, so, so, SO wonderful compared to if he had found me passed out with a half-drunk glass of wine on the coffee table and an empty bottle in the kitchen. My day started off so much more wonderful.

I am feeling good today as far as cravings. After work will be a different story, as that's when the AV really kicks in and takes its advantage. As of now, wine doesn't even sound appealing. Actually, the last few months before being sober, wine didn't sound great then, either, but I felt like I had to drink it. How crazy...

I am thinking of you all during the day, and wishing everyone strength and a happy sober day! To those struggling, post here as much as you need, rant to us as much as you need, to get past the AV's mutterings. I am so grateful for you all.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!!!

Welcome sobertaurus and toadie!!!

Day 6 for me and I'm finally feeling wonderfully human again. I even made it to the gym!!! Congrats to everyone for staying sober!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for support. Small hours here...can't sleep. Sleeplessness, work stress, tiredness and isolation bring me down. Alcohol an always available temporary fix to it all for a few hours. But understand it only compounds the problems. Its a vicious cycle to have to get off.

Today I'll just wear the tiredness......maybe sleep better tonite.

Hope you all have another good day.....
Old 07-14-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Almost end to day 6. Today was easier than yesterday.

Everyone hang in there, speak tomorrow
Old 07-14-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Thanks guys for support. Small hours here...can't sleep. Sleeplessness, work stress, tiredness and isolation bring me down. Alcohol an always available temporary fix to it all for a few hours. But understand it only compounds the problems. Its a vicious cycle to have to get off.

Today I'll just wear the tiredness......maybe sleep better tonite.

Hope you all have another good day.....
Hi canguy good to see you here and posting...I'm in the UK its currently 8.50pm and wondering what the time difference is with you?

Hoping you stick with us, there are a few of us here who are struggling...
m
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Struggling a bit again. Getting beer after the pool is AV's latest bad idea. Maybe we will stop for ice cream on the way home instead.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Not drinking. Yesterday was hard. Wasted a day with my kids, craving booze. For shame. Nothing to be done but make today better. Dealing is not living, but better than drunk.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Ice cream sounds GOOD
Old 07-14-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hi. Is it OK if I join this class?

I have almost no idea how to help myself (although I have gotten some amazing ideas on my intro thread) and I do not know how I can help anyone else.

But I'll give it a try and do my best.

Welcome to my day 1...
Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1 Porcha. Welcome to the class.