Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 2

Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Has anyone gained weight since quitting drinking???????
Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

I haven't but I reckon I will now pile the weight on now that I have quit the cigs...I actually ate 3 giant cakes by mid morning!

Oh well I'm just going with it for the time being but I am going to the gym tomorrow
Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

No, havent gained weight, I think I lost several pounds in only some days.

Martina: good luck , I cant stop smoking yet, I do smoke less now . Yesterday none, today 4 so far (evening now).
Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I did gain quite a bit of weight when I stopped smoking last year, but I had been a bit too thin, so it's okay for the most part. Hopefully I won't gain any more!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Things been really bad. Counselor put off til Thursday , brother and highschool buddy are suicidal.
Wife's ranting about being hundreds overdrawn on her account.
It's another day one for me from yesterday
Old 07-13-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I'm finding it difficult to deal with everyone's crap, when mines not top notch. Lots of exercise today
Old 07-13-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that, JL2014.

I hope that your loved ones get things sorted out, and glad that you came back here to check in.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

I have gained some weight which surprised me dropping all those calories

Feeling very shaky today, verge of tears and wanting to do a couple of rash things, really want to make it through Day 5 though. Help.. Any veterans here that managed massive anxiety early days?? Could not meditate at all, brain racing
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I'm finding it difficult to deal with everyone's crap, when mines not top notch. Lots of exercise today
I can identify. It's like if only there was a remote control with a "pause" button to aim at everyone around us, lol.

"Did you do that thing I asked you to-----"
PAUSE BUTTON!

I hope it gets better for you.

PS... I don't mean to make light of a situation that might be serious or really difficult to deal with. I can just identify with only having enough energy to focus on my own stuff, and not everyone else's.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
I have gained some weight which surprised me dropping all those calories Feeling very shaky today, verge of tears and wanting to do a couple of rash things, really want to make it through Day 5 though. Help.. Any veterans here that managed massive anxiety early days?? Could not meditate at all, brain racing
You're my sober sister. . We can do this. I've been a bit shaky as well. I think I'm gonna go to a meeting today. Anxiety is totally normal. Exercise really helps and hot baths or showers.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Starting over on the road - Day 2

Good afternoon, everyone. Just checking in to join the Class of July 2015 as we work down the path of sobriety. Had a pretty bad episode over the weekend which reminded me that chasing the sobriety goal is a worthy pursuit.

Just a few days in, but have worked out a plan and goals to hit. Working on finding a doctor and counselor to speak to, when the time is right. Heading back to the gym to get some exercise and will be on the lookout for other ideas and tips.

I've come here on and off for a while and can appreciate the positive momentum and environment that everyone has created here. Thanks for sharing all of your stories and encouragement. I look forward to building my success, each day, with everyone's help and encouragement.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I'm going to document some of the experiences/thoughts about attending AA as a newbie.

1. I really didn't want to go. If I went, would that be me failing somehow? I am going to go and find out that I'm really not that bad. It's going to be crazy religious.

2. I went, not sure if I should. What if someone sees me? Scared ********.

3. Sat in the back. Somewhat judging peeps as they came in. I am not like these people. They are old drunks. I am still young, I can change.

4. I listened to the stories. I was shocked at how much it resonated with me. These are people that feel the same way as me. Same thoughts as to why they drank. I felt like someone opened my soul and was talking about me. I got teary-eyed.

5. I walked out feeling like I wasn't alone. This was my 3rd meeting. I really have to say that each group is so different.

Overall, I feel a sense of peace after. Someone stopped me today and wanted to chat, he told me that the steps were more about replacing alcohol as a solution and finding a different solution. It resonated. It may not be for everybody, but sometimes talking with others and them understanding your struggles is priceless.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Battling cravings today. They seem to come and go. Reminds me a little of contractions giving birth.
I will not cave today. I won't give onto AV'S badgering, I refuse to engage in conversation with it.
Eating skittles, knitting and listening to an audiobook.
I hope it subsides completely soon.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time4changeinWI View Post
I'm going to document some of the experiences/thoughts about attending AA as a newbie.

1. I really didn't want to go. If I went, would that be me failing somehow? I am going to go and find out that I'm really not that bad. It's going to be crazy religious.

2. I went, not sure if I should. What if someone sees me? Scared ********.

3. Sat in the back. Somewhat judging peeps as they came in. I am not like these people. They are old drunks. I am still young, I can change.

4. I listened to the stories. I was shocked at how much it resonated with me. These are people that feel the same way as me. Same thoughts as to why they drank. I felt like someone opened my soul and was talking about me. I got teary-eyed.

5. I walked out feeling like I wasn't alone. This was my 3rd meeting. I really have to say that each group is so different.

Overall, I feel a sense of peace after. Someone stopped me today and wanted to chat, he told me that the steps were more about replacing alcohol as a solution and finding a different solution. It resonated. It may not be for everybody, but sometimes talking with others and them understanding your struggles is priceless.
Love this.
I'm honestly a huge fan of meetings and working the steps. Before the social anxiety started making it hard to go, I went to meetings regularly, and still keep in touch with some of the people I met and was close friends with during that time.

I'm also more than a little wary of being seen going into a meeting, especially as we now live in a much, much smaller area than the city I originally got clean/sober in.

This was wonderful to read, thank you.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

checking in but struggling.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, just checking in. Day 14 for me. Still amazed that I have been sober for that long by sheer force of will. It has been hard, and I am worried it will only get harder.

I am doing okay today. Walked to get coffee on my lunch break, about 1.2 miles; it was a nice change to get a little movement in during the work day. It's 5pm here, and I just finished at one office...now onto the next (Mondays are my 12-hour day). I had familiar thoughts of alcohol today...saw on the schedule that I don't work until 3pm tomorrow, so especially after a long day of work, binging on wine would definitely be my plan. However, if I get through today, I am two weeks sober. I am trying hard to focus on that. It seems like it has been getting a little easier to dismiss the AV, but then there are times it hits that I think, I can't refuse it. Really, truly is one day, one minute, at a time.

Again, it is such a relief to get these words out to you all, and know that you understand me exactly, ans have felt/feel the same. I am so happy for all of us that we have each other here.

I don't have time now to respond like I would like, but for now, hello to the newcomers! For those on a new Day 1, just be proud of yourself. One hundred Day 1s is worth far more than none at all.

For those struggling today, just keep us all in mind! You aren't alone when those cravings strike, or when the AV whispers unyieldingly that a drink is fine. Power in numbers...if we are all fighting back at the AV, it can't gain much ground.

Keep strong. <3
Old 07-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Push-ups push-ups pushups
Old 07-13-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to everyone hitting a milestone today.

for those who are returning - please consider posting here first the next time you find yourself wobbling.

The only way to really convince ourselves we have different choices is to try some of those different choices out.

Sorry you're struggling canguy - what's going on? Can we help?

D
Old 07-13-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
checking in but struggling.
Me too can guy
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I'll post this first, then go back and catch up on the thread.
I've gone from Day 10 to Day 1. Very disappointed in myself.
Feeling slight nausea, headache, tired, very blah. What a silly thing to do, when I'd had such a great day.
However: I'm resolute, going forward. I've learned how good I can feel.
I've poured out the remaining wine from the box. It was horrid!
I notice I'd said several times before that I was "taking nothing for granted." That's changed - I will take for granted that I can do this, that I have other and better ways to deal with my transient or deeper troubles, and best of all, the understanding and support of those on this thread.
Good health to us, in every way. xx