Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 17

Old 07-26-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Finished product...see the chocolate rocks?! Pretty cool.
Like I mentioned last night, I was antsy and got very little sleep so a nap is in order now. Enjoy your Sunday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (27.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-26-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Looks good Conquest!

Did somebody say extra sauce? Done. Making homemade meatballs and sauce today. Kinda humid, wet, stormy day here. Perfect meal and I enjoy making it.

Now time for some rest while the boys sleep...
Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

That's a great looking cake you got there Conquest. And those chocolate rocks, they are pretty cool. I've never heard of that stuff. Kind of looks like something Wilma Flintsone would do for Fred. I'll bet jr was pleased....and happy birthday to him!

Never have done meatballs at home. Sounds good Arbor. Got some ribs going for later....low and slow with these.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Great looking cake, Conquest!

Extra Sauce, lol, Briar!

Ribs sound divine as does meatballs and sauce.

I think we have similar weather here, Arbor. Not so far from CT by ferry. Humid and some rain this am, but we played mini golf this afternoon. Went to the beach early evening and kids swam, then came home and made dinner. Got some fresh locally grown beets and 3 colors of summer squash at a CSA with a farm stand. Supplemented by steak, green beans and potatoes from the local grocery store. It is a small town vibe here. Nice, but kids find it a bit boring. I like it! Not a traffic light on the island. We took a drive and saw some amazing properties. I cannot imagine that sort of life! There are yachts and huge sail boats in the sea just yards beyond the beach. Even though we are staying free, things are very expensive here. But, glad to see it and I think my cousin is so happy to show off this side of his life. He and his wife are very nice, giving people.

Briar, you sound so much better. I am glad to read that.

Looking forward to being settled back home after quite a bit of traveling this spring and summer. This is not typical for us. It is fun, but I am also a homebody.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Wow phoebe, I need some giving family with a spread like that. Glad you're having fun!

Ribs were good, gonna try them with a dry rub next time.

Arbor, I remember something you posted a week or so ago about not being able to really get away for several years. Kids do change the equation no doubt. Once our kids got closer to a year, maybe 10 months or so, we would get my mom and/or mother- in-law to keep them once or twice a year while my wife and I traveled. Generally not more than 4 or 5 days. My mom enjoyed it (or I wouldn't ask) and it gave us some couple time away from home. Anyway, people have different thoughts on things like that, but it was really good for us and having a break helped us get a much needed recharging of the batteries. One of those trips likely resulted in our surprise third child!

Well gang, I go to bed much less burdened this evening. My son has decided to defer his move and is considering enrolling in a local community college for a few classes. I'm pretty sure he's serious about this, I think he's out looking around at apartments right now. I'm sooooo happy tonight!!!

Hope the weekend is wrapping up well for the gang and that your Monday is off to a good start V.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

That is good news, Mark! Your trip paid off! Helping him, rather than fighting him, got him to see the light.

My cousin's place is a modest home in a place that has an upscale side to it. It is a simple house, cozy, but not one of the exclusive estates. But it was fun to go have a look at those!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Glad it's lovely there phoebe.

I had a feeling your son was going to change his plans Mark. You said he had gotten quiet...always a tell-tale sign. That's really good news.

Busy day...I worked, had car problems, and still haven't eaten. So I must do that.

Love to all of you. ♥
Old 07-27-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Hey Mark thanks for the advice. Wife and I have done a long weekend before with our first. Both our parents are close by so we are lucky. With the newborn it's going to be a while like you said before we can just pawn him off. I keep telling my wife there will be plenty of vacation times ahead once they are older. Just gotta bite the bullet now and put in the work.

Oh and I'm glad your boy is staying. Wise move on his part. Something tells me your sober wisdom is rubbing off.

Monday morning. Here we go! Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
In case I gave you a bum steer with how I phrased it, I think you can think about things too much too - so much so you get analysis paralysis. At bottom, all you need to do is take those ideas that a drink might be good - and bat them away when they come up. Sometimes that's not easy but it is simple. Staying sober will then help you immensely in the other stuff - working out the life you want ,and the person you want to be in it If your priority is your kids - have you heard the old thing about putting your oxygen mask on first? They depend on you, so you have to be dependable, arbor D
No wrong steer Dee. I tend to over think things all the time. Just focus on the one task at hand. Not drinking. Rest will fall into place. I get that. Thanks for your wise words.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Nite all. ♥
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

He's staying! Happy dance for ya Mark. And how awesome of a father you are to be supportive either way, allowing him to work through the decision-making. Scoreboard, Dad!

Sounds fun, Phoebe. Glad to hear your trip is going well. That end-of-the-trip feeling is always bittersweet for me. I miss home but don't wanna face reality. Enjoy the last bit of it!

I wish there was cake for breakfast, but it got gobbled up last night! I guess that means I'm back on my smoothie grind. Sigh. But it's time. I've gained 5 lbs. of pure junk food and lazy couch time since surgery and need to shake it off. Also starting the Insanity workout DVDs today. It's a 60 day program with mostly cardio, push-ups, squats, and burpees. I've done it before and was in such good shape afterwards. It's time to get that back. My only concern is the initial soreness. Walking stairs and sitting on the toilet will be my biggest hurdles this week. Lol

Big hugs to each of you
Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams, Venus!

The Beatles : Julia
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcWzlxECaPo
Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Nite V.

Just back from a run to start the day. I don't know that there's a lot of wisdom from me concerning my son, just practice. I almost feel sorry for him sometimes...with him being the first, there's been a good bit of trial and error. However this came about, I'm just thankful.

The cardio in insanity would whup my butt Conquest. I used to be big into P90X and don't think I've ever been more sore in my life!!! I was like an elderly person....when I started to sit, there was no stopping, just kind of fell into a chair. Yep, if you're wanting to get lean, those programs work if you do 'em right.

Ok, time to get cleaned up for my haircut, then meet some of my key folks for lunch to outline my thoughts for business goals over the next few months, then meet a document shredding service at my storage unit to properly trash some old stuff. Gonna be HOT in that place.

Wishing everyone the best Monday......Mark
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

I find shredding to be quite therapeutic...kinda jealous. Haha
Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

A proper post later as I'm super busy this morning, but...5 months today. Came very close to blowing it last week. So glad I didn't.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

A quick check in before lunch to say Wat to Go!!!! Briar .

Happy Monday to you.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Nice work Briar!! Whatever you did last week to push aside that AV and not drink worked. It brought you here to this very day. Yes!

It's all trickery folks. That AV. I recognize now that I usually let it build for a few days instead of batting it away the moment it appears. At least I've figured out how to stop the cycle from happening. Something I wouldn't have been able to do a year or two ago.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Congrats Briar!!! Way to get it. So very happy for you!

And Arbor, I work the same way. It's like I made up my mind to slip days before it happened, many times. It definitely requires a mindset change that takes practice every day.

Been out and about downtown today. If yall are ever in the Houston area, (after calling me, of course) you've got to check out David Adickes Studios. He's a local sculptor that makes ginormous works. It's in a little nook off of the highway. And it looks like they're moving things around...
Attached Images
image.jpg (37.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

New to me...Charlie
Attached Images
image.jpg (31.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Wow!!!, hard to judge the scale of that Chaplin...,is it as huge as it seems?! I wonder who orders something like that? Interesting.

Well all my business stuff is done and now to turn my attention to more pressing matters......the toilet in the powder room. The flushing mechanism is broken and that's the potty that guests and wet swimmers use, otherwise they gotta go to the master bedroom. I don't think I'm as skilled at do-it-yourself as Arbor seems to be, but I'd love to save the money on the plumber. So off to Home Depot ......hope I can do this without cursing.