SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of October 2014 Part 17 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/371043-class-october-2014-part-17-a.html)

Briar 07-13-2015 10:36 PM

I am critical of myself too for all the things I didn't learn when I was younger. I learn things now, and it's hard not to beat myself up and feel embarrassed for not learning them sooner. But it is what it is. We must work with what we've got, and we're miles ahead of so many others if we're getting it at all.

So happy for you Conquest! He sounds like he'll make a wonderful husband.

Today was definitely better, thank goodness! I even went for a walk this evening. I felt heavy and uncoordinated, but I got it done! Hoping for another good day tomorrow.

Falling asleep as I type, so I'll talk to you guys tomorrow.

venuscat 07-13-2015 10:42 PM

Thank you for your point of view my sweet, always appreciated! :hug:

So glad today was better for you!! :)
Sleep well. ♥♥

Mark1014 07-14-2015 05:31 AM

I think we continue to relearn some things in the context of where we are in life at the moment.

My schedule is so off....I slept until eight! I never do that. I dreamed that I ordered a drink with dinner and didn't like it. :). Considering a run.....this is the life! (Temporarily....or I'd be broke)

phoebe64 07-14-2015 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mark1014 (Post 5465475)
I think we continue to relearn some things in the context of where we are in life at the moment.

I was going to type exactly this, then I got to Mark's post. I know I sort of started over with big life events, learning to be brave, and take risks, and make good decisions, etc... and how to deal emotionally. So, as I entered a marriage, had children, and then had ill parents... I found my world was rocked each time and I had a new sort of growing up to do. Same now, trying to negotiate a sober life.

Mark1014 07-14-2015 09:53 AM

A dream of mine has been to run Central Park. I was just able to check that off my list by running around the big lake in there with scenery all around like I've never seen. Couldn't have done that hung over. :) This place isn't new to many of y'all, but to look at stuff like this while running was so fun to me!

Mark1014 07-14-2015 01:41 PM

Negotiating a sober life does seem a full time effort at times to me too phoebe. I guess that's one reason being totally distracted for a few days has been such a relief. To almost feel like a kid again. Gotta soak that up when I can...plenty of responsibility waiting when I get home.

Conquest , I don't know if you have nieces or nephews, but you seem to have taken to jr very nicely. My stepdad is very special to me and I suspect a very special bond between you and your little guy as the future unfolds.

Phoebe, I know that you and V have worked through the challenges of aging parents. I see a slight shift in my mom and stepdad as well as my mother in law....slowing down a bit. They are all fine, but I can see areas that they'll need a little more support pretty soon.

I hope everyone's week has gotten off to a nice start.....glad to see you sounding more like your happier self Briar!

venuscat 07-14-2015 03:43 PM

That's a beautiful picture Mark;I have never been to the US, and have only seen the park in movies.

Need to push myself again this morning, even though my feet are very sore.
Lots of other job stuff to do today too.
So love and goodnight, even though it's Wednesday morning for Dee and I. :)

And thanks guys ~ I am always too hard on myself. Apart from negotiating the sober life, this is a whole different life than I have ever known right now. No parents, no auntie, no best friend...my world has been so rocked. Of course I have to learn how to cope with all of this.

phoebe64 07-14-2015 04:39 PM

Beautiful picture, Mark! I have not actually been in Central Park on either of my 2 very short visits to NYC. I will be very close to NYC on part of my vacation next week, but we will not go into the city. Headed out Long Island to visit family, then to the Hamptons, to go to Shelter Island.

Mark1014 07-14-2015 10:08 PM

I hope the job search is going well V. All this effort is bound to produce results for you.

That trip sounds great phoebe....especially shelter island. This trip is all about the city for us, but I hope to explore more of the surrounding areas in trips to come.

Briar 07-14-2015 11:30 PM

Mark what a beautiful view. Glad you're having a good time.

And Phoebe you have a nice little vacation coming up too, what a treat.

V you're coping great with all the changes.

I'm doing pretty well. My blood test came back normal, which is good.

Have a good night everyone.

venuscat 07-15-2015 02:46 AM

Really glad to hear that your blood test results were good Briar.

Very tired here...just a quick check in. ♥

Mark1014 07-15-2015 05:55 AM

Good morning everyone and happy Wednesday..

Had a great time at a musical program last night. Some guy behind us seemed pretty buzzed, he fell sleep and started snoring.....loudly.

Hope your getting some rest this Arbor.

Briar 07-15-2015 06:33 AM

Mark - sucks for that guy. Isn't it nice not to waste your money (and time) paying for tickets only to sleep through the show?

Tired this morning, didn't sleep much last night. A little scattered, but otherwise definitely better. Luckily my work is already laid out for me. Yesterday I forgot my phone at work, and since I can't live without it even for an evening, I packed up my daughter and went back for it (it's a 10 minute drive, no big deal). When we got there, she wanted to draw a picture for Santa. See, every year my office has a holiday party for the kids where one of our attorneys dresses up as Santa, so she thinks Santa lives at my office. So while she was drawing, I went through masses of pending crap from the past couple months and prioritized it. So I've got some tall but well organized piles waiting for me this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day.

venuscat 07-15-2015 06:47 AM

So while you are all starting your day, I am about to tuck myself in with a gorgeous fat cat. Have a good day all. ♥

Enjoy Mark. Don't work too hard Briar.

Briar 07-15-2015 07:24 AM

Funny you should mention cats, V.

I think it's clear who in our household is the most satisfied with my daughter's new bed:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...634-busted.jpg

Mark1014 07-15-2015 07:49 AM

Looks like kitty considers the bed to be hers and that she's just gracious enough to share it with your daughter! Have a good one.

May try for some lobster today....maybe I can afford it up here.

Mark1014 07-15-2015 07:56 AM

Phoebe, what do families generally do for accommodations at places like shelter island? Homes? Condos? Hopefully some financially reasonable options. I'm thinking about coming back here instead of destin for our beach trip next year assuming my son is still living here. Who knows about that. May do some apartment hunting today for him.

Conquest 07-15-2015 12:05 PM

Hey everybody! day 3 of camp completed and I'm exhausted. Lol I'm in serious need of a sandwich and nap. Thanks again for all of the sweet comments. I wouldn't be here without yall, for sure.

V, I'm so glad you decided against deleting your post. It makes total sense to me and sounds very familiar. And you're doing great, girl.

So happy to see everyone's hanging in and doing well. :)

Mark1014 07-15-2015 01:04 PM

Hey gang, just left St. Patrick's cathedral. I lit a prayer candle and said a prayer of well being for each of you by name as I know it. :)

Hope your week is going well.

phoebe64 07-15-2015 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mark1014 (Post 5467017)
Phoebe, what do families generally do for accommodations at places like shelter island? Homes? Condos? Hopefully some financially reasonable options. I'm thinking about coming back here instead of destin for our beach trip next year assuming my son is still living here. Who knows about that. May do some apartment hunting today for him.

Thank you for the candle and prayer, Mark! Truly.

I have actually never been to Shelter Island before. I gather it is largely residential, and we have been give the use of my cousin's home. I think there are more "happening" places to stay, if you want to explore NY beach communities. I will give my review after our trip!

Good luck setting up your son for his move. I hope it all goes well and he realizes his dreams. Or at least gets a job and supports himself well, and has a good life there. You can also travel west through NY and find lots of lakes. There is upstate, and central NY not too far away. The finger lakes are supposed to be beautiful. My in-laws are all out that way, but we never enjoy the surroundings because they are quick holiday visits or weddings, etc... But what little I have seen is lovely.