Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 6

Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sold the step bench but the guy was a royal jerk. He tried to go over the thing with a microscope and get me to take half of what I was asking for it. What a jerk! I mean he really was. I just laughed and told him that if he thought I was asking too much (after I took $10 off) that he should definitely keep looking for one that was more reasonably priced. This ain't my first rodeo, honey.

Ya know, when I'm the one shopping on Craigslist and I see something I like, I ask them if they will take a certain amount of money before I even get their address. I don't stand there in their living room and start playing games. I'd love for others to treat me that way. I really think it's cheesy. He starts asking me how old it is. I said, "Does how old it is make any difference?" "Well, plastic starts breaking down." I'm thinking, "Really? Tell that to the landfills."

Now I'll get the pilates reformer set up and get that listed. I got the tax bill for my car. Why does everything come due at your birthday? What a gift! My car is 17 years old and I owe the town I live in $82 for the privilege of owning it.

Sorry. This is turning into a gripe fest and I wasn't meaning for it to be. I bought an e-cig and that is a story all on its own. I went to the local smoke shop that is so close I could walk to it but the only low nicotine fluid they had was spearmint flavored. So I drove to the neighboring town and hit Walmart next. They had no low nicotine ones at all. Was driving back toward home and stopped at another smoke shop. Again, nothing I wanted or was looking for.

After stopping at a 4th place, I finally got a liquid I liked that was as low on the nicotine level as they sell. It's called Melonberry. They had tons of flavors but I thought that was a good one to try first. Then I drove BACK to the first place near my home and bought their starter e-cig with charger. Yeesh! So it's charging now.

The traffic and the stores are crazy with holiday shoppers. Bad idea to go do all that hunting today but I just wanted to find out if this is something I can enjoy. If it works out, I know it will be the exact thing to help me with the other problems I have. I know nobody else agrees but that's okay.

Hot out there! Tomato looked parched so I watered it when I came home. Poor thing looked like it didn't want to wait a minute longer. It's looking more hopeful than it has been.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lol, Cissy. Years ago I GAVE AWAY FOR FREE a treadmill on craigslist, and it was such a nightmare I'll never do it again. The woman brought here 3 year old kid (brat) along who proceeded to run all over my house, asked to use the bathroom (what was I going to say, no?), and peed everywhere but in the toilet.

THEN....then, then, then.....the woman kept calling me for weeks asking if I had the owner's manual, etc., etc., even after I told her I didn't have it, since I got the thing from my cello teacher. Did I mention it was free? Finally I had to block the number. Ah, craigslist.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Don't feel too awful Cissy. I still smoke real cigarettes! I cut way back (3 or 4 a day) and I'm going to quit, but not right now! I want to get a by more sober time under my belt first.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I still smoke too, but more than 3 or 4 a day. Can't imagine how people quit both at the same time
Old 07-03-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh, Gina. No good deed goes unpunished. LMAO! So sorry. Actually, it might seem a terrible thing to admit but I got the treadmill and the step bench I sold for free on Freecycle. I can't afford to just give them away like that so I'm selling them for cash. I love Freecycle but I just can't do that right now.

So far, I don't like the e-cig. It feels exactly like I'm drawing smoke into my lungs and I thought it would feel more like just air. It makes me have this heavy feeling in my lungs and I don't like it. I only took a couple of "hits" at first cause I'm not used to nicotine and I didn't want to make myself ill. It's not going to be something I do except late at night when I'm trying not to eat. I can't imagine I'll ever want to do it more than that.

I didn't spend a ton of money on it so it was worth the experiment. I think it is a wonderful thing to have if you want to quit smoking cigs, though. You gals (and guys) should try it. They have liquid that is supposed to taste like regular tobacco or menthol if that's your thing. I find it really doesn't "taste" like it's supposed to. The "flavor" is more a very mild aroma.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh, please. I gave it away years ago when I was swimming in cash. If I had it now I would sell it as well. Besides, it had a broken belt, so I couldn't really charge for it, since that needed replacing.

The e-cigs, I have tried before when I was quitting, but it just prolonged the nicotine addiction for me and it wasn't the same "kick" as smoking so I went back to regular smoking....sigh. What's worked for me in the past was a combination of nicotine patch and Wellbutrin, but they say quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin. Those receptors in your brain never go away. Swell. It's been a lifelong battle for me on and off but like Site said I think I need some more sober time before I try quitting cold turkey again. I've also tried quitting by substituting weed (legal with card), but that didn't work out at all. Maybe shock therapy is next.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I believe that, Gina. The last time (final time) I quit smoking cigs was tough. The only way I could do it was to use the patches, then step down to the nicotine gum, and then I thought I'd be on the gum for the rest of my life. I got to the point where I would just keep a piece of the gum in my scrub pocket when I was at work in case I was really having a bad night and was going to cave in and smoke.

Then I was faced with how was I going to drive to CT from south FL without smoking. I still don't know how I managed that. It was really bad. I had quit smoking cigs when I was 21 and only started up again around 32 when I began my career. My friends would lure me out to the smoking area and after a while I'd bum one. It grew from there but smoking really is a terrible and disgusting habit. I feel so bad now looking back. My poor patients!
Old 07-03-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just got off work. It was about as slow as I thought it'd be. Money wasn't awful but sure wasn't what it should be on a regular Friday night either. I'm pooped. Going to watch an episode of Orange is the New Black and crash. I stopped on the way home tonight and bought myself a jalapeno chocolate milkshake. It was delicious! But now I'm full and sleepy.

Grateful to be sober tonight. Grateful for this class. Grateful for my house. Grateful for my job. Goodnight all!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
nmd

Happy sober 4th of July to all my US classmates!

Slept well last night, just had a nice relaxing evening at home. We have a grad party coming up for my stepson, so we placed an order for food and a cake. Took the dog for a walk, and fell asleep as soon as my head hit a pillow.

Today is a chore day around the the house, but I bought some spare ribs for the bbq. Might just watch whatever fireworks we can see from the back yard tonight and stay at home. The kids are all with there other parents so I can't see dealing with crowds at the park for fireworks (I have 3 young boys, my gf has a son who is going into college)
Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

haha Gina, let me know how the shock therapy goes. Maybe I'll give it a try
I have an e-cig that I use every once in a while... I think I did better cutting back without it though.

Happy 4th everyone! Hope everyone has a good plan A, B and C if you're planning on going out. I'm working today, so not much celebrating for me. It's a beautiful day out though, so I'm enjoying that instead. Not much else to report. Work tomorrow and then a day off Monday. That will be nice! Looking forward to some reading and relaxing.

nmd- sounds like you have a nice little day planned out. Enjoy those spare ribs! That sounds delicious right now.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Happy 4th! Hope you all have a great day whatever you're doing!

My daughter wanted to dye her hair pink, so we're working on that right now. Then we'll find some lunch and I'll be off to work in a about 3 hours.

Hoping work will be slow, since most people will be out doing whatever it is that they do. Not a very exciting weekend, but at least I feel good!!

have a great day!!
Old 07-04-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 58 now. Slept in very late but that's OK. No big plans for the 4th but it's never been a holiday I gave much of a hoot about. I was never big on drinking on holidays actually. I think it's because I drank basically EVERY single day I considered most holidays to be "amateur" days as far as drinking goes. Now I wish I'd stayed one of those amateurs instead of becoming the professional loser drinker I was. Actually I don't really wish that. I accept who I am today and am happy with the person I am becoming.

I work in five hours so will just mess around the house until then. I'm sure work will be slow.

Wishing everyone the best today...
Old 07-04-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy 4th everyone. Am I the only one that hates the 4th of July? The jackasses in my neighborhood use it as an excuse to set of firecrackers in god knows what and they sound like bombs going off. Has been going on for a month now, tonight will be the crescendo, and then it will continue for about another month.

My dog is the biggest baby about it so I always have to stay home to make sure she doesn't have some kind of panic attack or start getting into my shoes (which happens if she's left alone too long) She is the most emotional dog I've ever had. Someone told me that's a German Shepherd trait. Not looking forward to tonight!

Have a safe one)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Gina, you don't hate the 4th of July, you hate your asinine neighbors! I would too. That's ridiculous. I'm sorry your Shepherd is so affected by all that noise. I have a friend who has a Shepherd and he is a big baby. Ferocious when he chooses to be but a big baby the rest of the time. BAD separation anxiety. He scratches and chews through doors, if you can believe that. If he wants out, he will have out.

When he was young and she left him in her car for a short time, he ate it. A Lincoln Navigator big black SUV and he tore it up. I'd have had a coronary.

Hey, everyone! Happy 4th of July (or not.) Sorry you're not making much money at work on this holiday weekend Casey, but it is what it is. I'm dog sitting right now and it's very peaceful. Did I tell you that I negotiated a higher rate of pay cause it's a holiday? I must have. I'm pretty proud of myself. That takes cajones.

It's overcast and cool with a little rain moving in. Not great for all the picnickers but I think it's lovely. The lady filled all the bird feeders and I have quite the show outside the window. The dogs are napping but we were outside playing shortly after I arrived. The house looked like they had a rip-roaring good time after they got the house to themselves. Every area rug was crumpled up and askew, pillows off couches, blankets on floors, and dribbled water from the bowl that went completely around the kitchen island. I got everything back to normal and then we went outside to get rid of the remainder of their energy.

There are a lot of house sparrows (what I call them) and some finches but also a couple of woodpeckers and once in a while, a squirrel. I can't afford bird seed right now so this is a real treat for me. I'm always peaking out the window, looking for some more eye candy.

I'm really like the e-cig! I think it will do wonders in helping me to lose weight by eating less. I'm glad I gave it a try.

Have a wonderful SOBER 4th of July, Mayflowers. ((((Hugs))))
Old 07-04-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah, she's a big baby all right. Not ferocious with people, though, but sometimes other dogs, especially the yappy little ones. I call them rat dogs. I think she thinks they're squirrels or something. Before I rescued her the LAPD was looking at taking her but apparently she wasn't aggressive enough, lol. The only people she's ever looked like she would go for are transvestites. They must confuse her.

One time I came home and she had torn up a feather down pillow. The entire house looked like it had snowed. You can imagine that cleanup. I can't get mad at her though, with those eyes. I've just resigned myself to the fact that as long as I have her I'll have a messy house. Don't even get me started on the dog hair!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

LOL! Transvestites, beware! Yes, she's a looker. I'm glad she's a lover and not a biter. I think with a dog that has such a tendency toward destructive behavior associated with separation anxiety, you have two options. Either crate them when you're not home or buy one of those muzzles that are like a cage so they can freely move their mouths, pant, drink water and stuff but can't tear things up. It's worth a try. A down pillow? UGH.

I love dogs. Some cats are cool but I'm a dog person all the way. I have an allergy to cats so that has been a barrier to forming bonds with cats but I have in the past had some very cool cats that loved to be loved. I hate scaredy cats. For instance, there is a cat that lives here but I never have seen it. In fact, I forgot completely they had one until now. I don't get sneezy or itchy when I'm here so maybe it's never on the couch.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Checking in.

Once again, a holiday which was supposed to celebrate a noble day in history has, like most others, turned into an excuse for Americans to get drunk. Don't hate what the holiday represents. Hate what it has been bastardized into.

Day fifty-something. Staying in the cool. Just had a cup of Kava tea. Trying to avoid crowds.

Good luck to all, and Happy Birthday USA

Old 07-04-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Quiet in here on this holiday eve in the good ol' USA. Quiet in the neighborhood too, now that I'm thinking about it. No fireworks going off at all. That's odd. 30 seconds after typing that, they began.

I had a good day but I'm noticing this afternoon and evening that my liver feels enflamed. When I cough or blow my nose, it feels uncomfortable in that region of my abdomen. I didn't take the Chia seeds yesterday and I hadn't taken them today so I figured I'd better take them asap and drank them down about 20 minutes ago. Apparently I have more detoxing to go.

My skin isn't clear like it cleared up the last time I stopped for about a week and began the Chia seeds. Not sure what's up with that. And the jury is still out on the e-cigs. It really is too much like smoking for me to take it seriously as a new "something to do." I may just use it in "e-mergency" situations when I'm in a bad way.

I didn't sleep well last night at all, but that always happens when I know I have to get up and moving in the morning. I'll sleep better tonight and catch up on those zz's. I hope, anyway.

I had thoughts of drinking this afternoon and it crossed my mind that I could buy something on my way home from the dog sitting job but I knew it was just a thought and I didn't have to act upon it. Hate how they sneak up on you sometimes.

I hope you're all having a wonderful evening/day and that you're staying strong and feeling good about the choices you're making. (((Hugs)))
Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wrapping up day 58 here. Lazed around the house all day and then worked this evening. It started out very very very slow but we had one decent pop from around 7 to 8:30 tonight so I still made decent money. Not great money, but better than I expected. And I'm home earlier than I'd usually be on a Saturday night, which is nice. Saw some pretty fireworks while riding my bike home. I bought a big bag of Skittles so going to enjoy some of those while I watch a television show before bed.

Saw johnny555 has popped back up in the July class and I also talked to him via pm yesterday. It was good to see him. He said he'd check in here at some point too. Few of our other former May regulars are still being very active in the June thread--SandyO just hit the big 30 day mark. JL2014 is back posting regularly too.

Sure wish AllieK would check in, been over a week now, and she was posting regularly every day for almost two months there. Worried about her.

Glad to see 4thekidz in here today and sagittarius yesterday. Would also love to hear from many others including TENtx and AGAGONNHOJ and Freedom1982 and SansaS (who I have talked to via pm within the last day or two but would still like to see in here) and Surrender2win. And of course, anyone else who is a member of our class. Don't be offended if I didn't name you in particular. It's late and I just got off work. Those are just the names that jumped in my head first. My brain is a little fried. Hopefully some late night Skittles will help.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober rest of your weekend!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm not a May member but thought I'd comment. I'd like to hear from AllieKat and Annataboy as they are from my neck of the woods... Quite close. I hope they are ok.

I now qualify for the July class YAY! YAY! I'm gonna wait a bit before I do anything. I'm not up for setting the record for Day 1's. My eyes are wide open with something uncomfortable going on with me physically.

Well, keep up the good work. Casey, be careful riding a bike in traffic areas. I'm always afraid of people texting, talking on their phones, and of course, the drunks!

Keep in keepin on.

Olivia