Notices

One Year & Over Part 27

Old 07-05-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Gil,
you wrote "It's a shame: I have learned so much and then forgotten it! I used to be enthralled with ancient Rome, but there are only a couple things I can recall now. "

Amen kiddo! My accumulation of specialized knowledge has been vast. My recollection of it Half-Vast! Your professor sounds like several of the ones I had too.

Toots,
If we want to drink proximity is immaterial. Mine keeps her half gallon of scotch, and carton of smokes open and in the cabinet. I have thought how I am glad she understands that if I am sober that is my choice, in addition to not smoking, another. If I change those choices it is my will not hers. I get so tired with the many people who try to take responsibility for my choices. Some of the worst are the overly grateful, who insist they have imposed? Occasionally I have had to be rude and tell them that I operate as an adult with free will, please don't try to take responsibility for my choices or think you can manipulate me into a bad choice by your victimhood. Our respective spouses, mine an alcoholic yours a normie, are supportive by choice. It helps that I haven't an abusive bone in my body. Nor a compliant victim. I deserve the good life I've created in tandem. Not keeping pace ruins her harness comfort too without my changing pace.

I admire your candor and friendship here along with all the other great ladies and us fewer guys.

The rain stopped yesterday, and today more coming later in the day. No we are not drying out yet. We are seriously thinking of abandoning the living in the RV and just get it out of the way and let them build. If I try to turn it around now it and the truck will sink to the axles.

RZ,
I forget that you need to be able to load and unload and then use the foot pedals. Is it both feet? Getting better?

Wolf,
That is really a great way to greet the day. We have the squirrels from hell when it comes to bird feeders. We have spent too much, and no matter the sure fire way as extolled by the many YouTubers and as seen on TV! our squirrels get the food no matter what. I could shoot them and have a lot of squirrel stew but we like them too. The dogs love to think they can catch them too. Truth be known, if the squirrels/rabbits/birds ever turned back on them and ran at them they would do a backflip and come whining to the porch begging for safe haven from the attack animal that is surely right behind them. I am so glad you can put out an avian buffet. We do just hummingbirds who come looking in the window and demanding my SH refill their feeder. No doubt at all. We do feed the birds when the figs are ripe. Then it is a daily collection for me, or for them depending on who gets to them first. Our big blue herons and smaller cranes are remarkable here. The dogs know they are off limits, besides they are taller than they are in most cases. They also mouth the turtles and chase the cats.

FBL,
I got up early today, 9:45. But bedtime was 2:30 AM. I wish I could remember movies and the actors like you do. I am an old movie buff of the classic days for my parents. I love watching TCM and when ewe cut the cable I'll have to get my 30's and 40's and 50's movie and TV fix online. I grew up with the 60s and later TV and movies like you but have a relative few I watch more than once. And their genre's are all over the place. I recognize your avatars every time, but dang if I can put the name to the face half the time. I know today's but can't place him or his shows. Hints please. ( My kind of hint starts with " His name is . . .

Hi Andy!
You are like the elusive sunbeam we take for granted until the clouds gather in the optics of our minds and take for granted your gift of a smile every day. Thank you.

IP,

It is never going to dry up, I am canceling the new house, and building an Ark. Kidding. Remember that drought from the pics? Well we husbanded our thirsty trees and plants and animals and only lost a few of each. But we husbanded the fig trees through it. We are not sure if we have figured it all correctly but we think the fig trees will be placed OK with the new house too. They are too old to uproot for a month and survive.
-40??

Hey OLL!
We like home grown veggies and fruits too. My FIL hasn't planted for the first time in his life. His Fig trees are ancient and bear nice fruit as well as the largest pears I have ever seen. They are the size of grapefruit and I'm not exaggerating. And his grape vines, for the muscadine hard skinned sweet grapes are also still in good shape.
muscadine grapes - Bing Images
He is almost 86 and not doing well as far as holding out against the aging. But we have our own fresh produce now as they just started an every Saturday morning Farmer's market with fresh everything cheaper then the store bought tasteless hothouse stuff too. I bought a mason jar of pickled quail eggs last week -Yum!

Anyone need a reminder about what mindfulness is try these this link http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Budd...e-Mindful.aspx I liked it.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PS I know the difference between tenant and tenet but the dagnab proverbial excremental spelling auto corrector does not!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really loved reading your posts Itchy i always do i learn loads from them too & from all of you in fact am i grateful & thankful for that i know im younger & still have loads to learn in real life & sobriety but i really like all of you as such a varied wonderful bunch of diffrent ppl

My dog loves to chase the birds given the chance but i dont let him if i can help it

We would love some robbins to turn up at the window that would make us so happy ive just told mrs sw and she was like really ? i said yep

Hummingbirds sound lovely Itch as does the blue herons & cranes

Somebody mentioned the film Selma & ive seen it too i thought it was a great movie

We had chicken for dinner it was marinated in nando's piri piri spice mix we had it with chips it was so tasty i could of eat the bones lol

The weather is cooler this evening even tho it is currently 18° the humidity is 52% but theres a nice constant cool breeze which i am loving right now

Spk soon Overs
Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
I've been a mod years ago, even ran one web forum. Never again. For the rest of you, moderating online with anonymous folks in any situation is not akin to anything in the real world. Except maybe herding cats!
Been there.. and as with you, never again.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
I 'm glad too, very. While most of the others do their bit helping the newcomers, I've lost my daily feeling that I have anything to offer them. Here I am among peers who all made it, yet remember. Least and you are everywhere and I frankly can understand. You've earned your moderator legs superbly and managed to keep your friends too. I've been a mod years ago, even ran one web forum. Never again. For the rest of you, moderating online with anonymous folks in any situation is not akin to anything in the real world. Except maybe herding cats!
I keep my expectations real

I just do what I can do Itch, same as you guys.
Somedays I kick a few goals, others not

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Dee, its not that I forget you're one of us. It's that since coming here on my day 1, you've been leaps ahead of me so I never consider myself one of "you." You are so good about posting support for others but I hope you know I appreciate anything you post about yourself too.
No problem OLL.

I hope I spread myself around enough to be a part of every group thread, but I really don't expect to be included in the rosters

Everything is fine with me, so no need for me to saddle you guys with any of my stuff, lol

D
Old 07-05-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Wolf,
We're getting back to some population increase in our wildlife after that three year drought. It really knocked back the rabbits and birds here. You'll recognize the porch here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
humming.JPG (34.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Re-Member

This past March with the yard so flooded I could not cut it with anything, we got the cranes we call cowbirds here:
Attached Images
Cowbird1.JPG (91.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Re-Member

That was a close up of one of the flock picking at the bugs floating in the water that is about three inches to six inches deep:
Attached Images
Cowbird3 (Small) (Mobile).JPG (58.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee,
No saddle sores here, you?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs.

Itchy, love reading your posts, so inspiring. Thank you. My words don't seem enough for what pleasure you put into words.

On saying that, I love readings all ya posts, but I to tend to stick to the overs and Go for a walk to other forums on sr and see if I can say any words of encouragement.

Went to civic service last evening courtesy of the mayor of Scunthorpe and there was a hog roast after the service which we didn't stay for. Before it all started bottles of wine were passed around all the tables and a gentleman at our table of 6 poured it out, offered it to me and mine which we declined and was promptly a pleased ' more for us' with glee! I smiled thinking of the old days when one bottle wouldn't have been half enough on my own so I would have not drank until I got home! I was so pleased I haven't got that ball and chain, anymore.

Have a good Monday , if I may say, my friends.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Mags that reminds me of a trip we went on to Madeira when we cruised the med, we had free wine at lunch and they put the bottles on the table and most people either had a small glass or none; wooowee! Was I in seventh heaven! I was blootered. Of course I know nothing of Madeira and cannot remember anything of the trio other than that! ( couldn't even tell you what the food was like that went with the wine!

Now I am one of the 'no thank you's ( still have a leaky memory though!)
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL no - all good Itch

D
Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Last day of "freedom" before possible jail sentence, also known as jury duty. I do not have a desk job and I admit to being restless and do not enjoy being made to sit for long periods. I hope am I not called for a trial.

I was lucky last time about 15-16 years ago. The judge for the trial was a former attorney and he and his client sued me and my boss for wrongful discharge. We won, so I mentioned that and did not get selected. The judge remembered the case very well.

Different court this time, so probably will not be as lucky.

to all the Overs!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, my current avi is the wonderful character actor Burt Mustin. He's probably best known as Gus The Fireman on Leave It To Beaver, but he did guest appearances in just about every TV show from the 1950s-70s. I've been blessed (cursed?) with a very powerful memory. Not quite total recall, but once I see or hear something it sticks with me. Comes in handy for my job and I've won my share of trivia contests over the years, so at least it's done me some good. I also love the old movies and am currently working my way through all of the Bowery Boys movies in chronological order on DVD

Drake, I served on a jury back in 2007. It was a pretty intense sexual abuse case. It only took us about an hour to find the man guilty of molesting an under-age female relative. I found the whole experience quite fascinating and would gladly do it again.

I'll also voice my admiration for Dee. He's much too modest to admit it, but this place just wouldn't be as great as it is without him. Thanks for all you do, mate!

Have a great Monday, overs!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Itch, my current avi is the wonderful character actor Burt Mustin. He's probably best known as Gus The Fireman on Leave It To Beaver, but he did guest appearances in just about every TV show from the 1950s-70s. I've been blessed (cursed?) with a very powerful memory. Not quite total recall, but once I see or hear something it sticks with me. Comes in handy for my job and I've won my share of trivia contests over the years, so at least it's done me some good. I also love the old movies and am currently working my way through all of the Bowery Boys movies in chronological order on DVD

Drake, I served on a jury back in 2007. It was a pretty intense sexual abuse case. It only took us about an hour to find the man guilty of molesting an under-age female relative. I found the whole experience quite fascinating and would gladly do it again.

I'll also voice my admiration for Dee. He's much too modest to admit it, but this place just wouldn't be as great as it is without him. Thanks for all you do, mate!

Have a great Monday, overs!
I am looking on the bright side, it will get me away from the annoying condo building people, but I really do not relish the idea.

I second (or third) the hurrah! for Dee!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

it's my hi-hat foot itch
Old 07-06-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs
Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Well into Monday our busiest day. It is kind of like our friday, we put the paper together and I'm always panicking, and then start fresh on Tuesday morning. Today won't be so bad though cause I got a lot done last week for once.
My job is becoming slowly easier, and I'm starting to think about where I want to go next. I'm really not sure.
Thanks so much for that mindfulness link itch, I read it all.
I need to practice being thankful for what I have. The truth is I am living a pretty nice life right now--independent, good job, my own place, a beautiful region of the country and I'm healthy enough to exercise lots and eating well.
Why does the mind find everything wrong to fixate on?
My dad is coming to visit this weekend! So excited to see him.
I've seen him only once in the last year--crazy to think.
Have a good day overs.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags,
YW! I like reading all of y'alls too. Boy are you spot on. Actually I don't go out much socially. I do have some friends locally, but I isolated for so long I almost prefer it that way. I enjoy a couple of dear friends when we can get together. Free of the" ball and chain" is perfect.

Toots,
I hear ya, me too. I could never understand the non-drinkers, now I are one!

Leaky memory too!

Dee,

Drake,
I hope you get deselected or find it a dramatic and interesting experience.

FBL,
I've been the one who knows everything about someone but can't get the name. I usually cheat by looking up the show or movie I am watching on IMDB and checking out their TV and Film credits. This of course with my Windows tablet sitting next to my recliner. Daytime I am in my home office using my desktop. My recollection of him was primarily from "The Andy Griffith Show" and several others. Let's remember he died in his 90's in 1977. For the rest of you here is him and on IMDB which stands for International Movie DataBase:
Burt Mustin - IMDb

Which group of films are you watching, the Dead End kids, The East Side kids, or The Bowery boys. I remember the casts changing but Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall and a few others were there all through them. I just liooked them up because I could not remember which came first and found it all started with broadway play! The Bowery Boys Dead End Kids - Bing

RZ!
Left one only then? Unless you are a lefty. Hope it gets totally better fast. I'm so well now despite a few permanent deficits that to be any better I'd have to be twins! Now get back to that as soon as you can.

Hi Wolf!
I know you're on the same path, addiction or illness recovery is recovery and easier with a sense of humor, no?

IP,
YW Glad you liked it. It sounds like you are just getting into the competent phase of your job. Don't be an adrenaline junky then later get bored. I make that mistake yet!

Your dad will likely be even happier to see you! A child who had issues then pulled herself up by her bootstraps and traveled the world sober? You have stories he never heard. And you will likely finally hear his!

I am going to catch up on my alternate strategies to get this project going. Going out to the RV and see what I can come up with for alternatives.

See, I kept it down a bit. Have a great week overs!

(even those who still do the four letter word that ends in ...K not me! )
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Do your best

Laughter makes the world go round Itchy