Notices

One Year & Over Part 27

Old 07-16-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

My 25 year old Buick has been driven drunk more times than I can mention, but miraculously never damaged. One of the reasons why I keep it, I think it is a good luck charm.

Friend of mine who has been sober over 30 years quit when he drove a new Cadillac Seville, one of the most expensive US built cars then, into a creek 6 hours after he picked it up from the dealer. It was reparable but he decided that was getting awfully expensive!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Grats Gilmer!
Happy Birthday Toyota!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

I empathise OLL but try and remember that everyone else in that room has felt that way too at some time or another.

You've 'earned your seat' there, as they say - you deserve as much help and support as the rest of us

D.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

morn'n ove's
Old 07-16-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Morning Overs,
Today's gonna be a long one. Early wake up after trouble going to bed. I was pretty emotional after last night's meeting. I have had crippling social anxiety which I thought had gotten better (and it has, in some circumstances). But it seems to have come back with a vengeance at meetings. I want what a lot of these people have. I want to be like a lot of these people. But I can't even get my words out in the right order just making small talk, much less share so everyone can be familiar with me. The things I would share about are things I have barely ever spoken about out loud. And I know that's how everyone was when they first started going. But I dunno. I got onto the hamster wheel of "there's something wrong with me" and "I'm not {insert any quality here} enough." Just a pretty hopeless feeling.
OLL. I can so relate, you are not alone in this. Social anxiety is a menace. The situation you describe would have me in tears in a New York minute. If I am rehearsed, planned and ready, I can speak in front of 4,000 people and actually enjoy it. But I would then go to great lengths to avoid talking to any of them individually after.

First AA meeting I went to was like that. It was huge and I felt totally overwhelmed. As soon as the ending Amen was said, I was out the door in a flash.

One of the reasons I love forums like this, I can express what my voice won't let me do face to face.

Dee makes a good point, many others feel that way too. I need to realize that as well.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

OLL, I've social anxiety issues my entire life. In fact, it's one of the reasons that I started drinking in the first place. I've gotten better the past few years, but it's something I'll probably have to always work on to some degree.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Gilmer on 20 months
Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Haha - half an hour ago I sat down to have a quick cuppa after having mown the lawn, with all intentions of getting straight back up to cut the hedge, but I have been here reading for a while So, giving myself a little kick to get on up and back to it (ahead of heavy rain forecast for tomorrow!!).

Hi to everyone
Old 07-16-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs, hope all is well with your world.

OLL sorry you're feeling this way. I had lots of anxieties when I stopped drinking for quite a while. I remember a long time ago I was embarrassed to eat out with anyone. My husband, who was my boyfriend then said 'what do I eat like' I said I have No idea what he ate like, there you go, he stated, No one is looking at you, they're too concerned with themselves.

Congratulations Gilmer on 20 months, bring out the cake!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs
Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Well managed to get about 30 feet of the hedge done, so that will have to do for today! Night All
Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs, hope ya all well.

Hope you had a good sleep last night feeling-good after all the work in the garden.

Running late, talk later, have a good Friday.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning Overs have a nice day
Old 07-16-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Congrats to Gilmer on 20 months sober today!

Happy B-day to my 2010 Toyota Corolla! It was exactly six years ago today that I bought it brand new. It turned to EXACTLY 68,000 miles this morning as I pulled into the parking lot. After hundreds of times driving my previous cars drunk (not bragging, just stating a fact), this car has only been driven stone cold sober

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Is time different there? A 2010 Corolla that is six years old in 2015? I know math was never my strong point but I fear I need help here!!
Haha what an amazing coincidence that it clocked 68000 on its birthday....or did you loop the block a few times! Lol I have never had a brand new car, all mine were preloved.

Drake I think your Buick has its own personality!

OLL I've never been to AA, but I have had to talk of private issues to a group of people. I feel some anxiety comes from a natural disinclination to trust others and allow vulnerability. It may take time for you to reach that point. It may help to realise that everyone else there feels the same, has the same initial trust issues and fears. To help with small talk, I always imagine the other person is more shy than I am and it gives me a little confidence. ( yes believe it or not this rampant mouth on legs is shy in new company!)

Gilmer congrats on 20 months and I hope yesterday went ok in PA.

FG, winter is back with a vengence isn't it! Long trousers and a cardy today it is ridiculous! Oh I love my adopted country with all my heart, but the summers here are beyond insanity! While 500 miles south it's too hot for my poor mom to play golf! ( talking of which if you want to see a little of my and FGs weather, go watch the Open today!! It's slap bang in the middle of the two of us - give or take a few yards!- )
Old 07-17-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Well done Gilmer

My day is going to be all busted up. First I have a prize giving for our DD13. Then she is bringing a friend for lunch. Then I have a leavers assembly for DD11. Both school halls have the minimum of opening windows and when they are full of parents the temperature sores.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Toots, the new car models always come out here months in advance of the actual "model" year. Yes, it did actually turn over as I was pulling into the parking lot, without any looping This is only the 4th car I've ever owned, so I tend to drive 'em until they drop.

Have a great Friday, overs!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Andy am I reading that right that you have 13 daughters? More? Sons?
Lol toots to mouth on legs.
Thanks everyone for their kind words and perspectives.
Morning Overs.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

aged 11 and 13 I think OLL?

D
Old 07-17-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

oll

for me, i found going on outgoings to tell my story

working with others/sponsee's

phone therapy

the before the meeting/after the meeting

chairing meetings

all helped with my SA

now, they cant shut me up live! lol

online thats different

my typing skills suck

i'm an advanced hunt & peck
Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Toots - I don't really mind cooler weather but I'm glad the rain has stopped in my area

Did not sleep well last night, despite all the garden work, so now feeling myself dropping off but need to keep awake so I sleep well when it is finally bed time lol!